Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

YEEHAW!!!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

Nob Rott

Nob Rott

Paint Squig

• Boyz
  • 100 posts
  • Army Name:Grimzog's Dreg boyz
I have a draft set of rules half written, adapting necromunda for skirmish games set in the old west. They are mostly equipment restrictions and 'counts as' guidelines. For example: Stub gun - single action revolver Autopistol - double action revolver Laspistol - military issue pistol Autogun - lever action rifle Lasgun - military rifle Heavy bolter - gatling gun Missile launcher - cannon (fired as drag, central hole counts as krak, higher cost) Etc. Also, all gangs would have access to blunderbuss and muskets. Some other equipment is still in, mostly under different names. Has anyone got any ideas for it, and would anyone like a copy once they are finished? Nob Rott

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 4,802 posts
  • Army Name:Trotskin'z Revulushun
Yeah that would be quite interesting. Some of the rules could even be used in a regular Necromunda campaign, for even smaller skirmishes!

For ideas, I'm no expert when it comes to westerns, but I do have a few ideas. Firstly, I think your first port of call would be to familiarise yourself with the Shoot-Out scenario. It is the kind of scenario that fits the theme you're looking at, and builds up a lot of tension.

As to the system itself, I think you need one particularly crucial addition. For the most part, I'd say cover would be a fair bit less than in a regular Necromunda game, so you need to address the issue of hitting. I have a suggestion for this. "Nerve". If you watch enough spaghetti westerns and shoot-outs, it does seem to be as important to hold your nerve as shoot a gun.

In this regard, I'd suggest that in certain scenarios (wide open areas where enemies are close) that when you can "see the whites of their eyes" that you need to hold your nerve in order to shoot straight. Thus in addition to the usual rules, you'd take a leadership test before each shot, or group of shots. If you failed, you could still fire, but you'd have a modifier on successful hits, either fixed, or a modifier equal to the amount you failed by, or a group of fixed modifiers based on the amount you fail by.

I also think that some gunfights should be treat in a similar manner to melee. I.e. if a gunfighter is outgunned, he does have some slim chance of winning the gunfight. Having an initial score perhaps, with a D6 per shots fired, treat in a similar manner to combat (down to the outnumbering modifiers, criticals and fumbles) could be used in some situations to allow an interesting mechanic. In the wild west, you'd want more gun combat than close quarters, so I'd say incorporating something like this is worth considering.