Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How do I paint yellow?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Thornoo1

Thornoo1

Mimic Squig

• Grotz
  • 94 posts
I'm just about to start my 40k Ork army and have picked Evil Sunz as my paint scheme. I'm after a really solid how-to using GW paints on how to get some real strength out of yellow when contrasted with red as the other main colour choice. I'm sick of having to do 5 layers just to get rid of the paint streaks. What base colours do you build your yellow up on. What do you do if black is your key undercoat etc.

balsak_da_mighty

balsak_da_mighty

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 440 posts
  • Army Name:?
Well I have always used a brown base coat for my yellows. Maybe a desert yellow or vermin brown. Then i would do a coat of yellow. the brown is dark enough to cover black but still light enough to have yellow go over it. Or you could use a airbrush if you have access to one of those. works really well. But they also have the foundation paints that work pretty good..I haven't used the yellow yet so can't say about that one but the others have been really nice. Hope this helps

Thornoo1

Thornoo1

Mimic Squig

• Grotz
  • 94 posts
Has anyone tried any of the fleshes as a base?

Brala

Brala

Speckled Bloodshade Fungus

• Grotz
  • 19 posts
The yellow fundation paint (iyadien darksun) really does magic. I always prime with white, but applying a coat of darksun will really help you in doing yellow. It does hide quie well for a yellow color and is already yellow so applying another one on top works well.

Agatheron

Agatheron

Blue Thunda Ace

• Nobz
  • 6,345 posts
  • Army Name:Da Blue Thunda Speed Freeks

Has anyone tried any of the fleshes as a base?

Before the advent of Foundation colours, I painted Imperial Fists using the now-defunct colour "Bronzed Flesh." Vomit Brown is roughly the same shade. In this case, once you paint and highlight it (use white to blend up), use thinned yellow ink to tint everything yellow.

If you're using a black base, then Iyanden Darksun as your base shade is the best way to go.

On the other hand, if you're serious about doing a bright yellow, you can use white as a base, and do "preshading." I've done this with a couple of Bad Moonz style tanks. Granted, I was using an airbrush... at the figure level, preshading can be done with careful application of washes. Doing a thinned mix of paint and matte medium, first with chaos black, and then with dark flesh. That will create a good strong base for painting yellow over it that should look reasonably good.
______Agatheron \_______
--Remember, long, uncontrolled bursts,
and indiscriminate target selection.
____________________________/

http://chaplainsbrush.wordpress.com/

Kaan

Kaan

telescoping arm

• Boyz
  • 502 posts
I did something similar to Agatheron, and that was to use Bronzed flesh over the black base coat. You can go with yellow over it and the yellow comes out pretty bright and not streaky (although you will still need a couple of coats to get it smooth....that's the nature of yellow). Also, don't fall into the trap of using the brightest yellow first. You may want to try a brownish yellow first and then layer up highlights from there. Once the highlights go on, the brownish yellow doesn't look brown and it provides a nice contrast.
Warlord of Da Black and Blue Wreckin' Krew

BigMek Gaudge

BigMek Gaudge

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 200 posts
Bronzed Flesh is apparently still sold in the Cote'D Arms lineup under the name Tanned Flesh.

Look for yourself and let me know if I am in error.

Wot? *strokes chin* hmmmm.

laughterofgods

laughterofgods

'Ard Boy

• Boyz
  • 880 posts
The army painter makes a desert yellow spray primer. I've never tried it, but if you are painting a lot of the model yellow (tanks and whatnot), then it might be fairly handy.

DocNuK

DocNuK

'Ard Boy

• Boyz
  • 889 posts
  • Army Name:no name - why a name when i never really play
it is wonderful for priming bigger things yellow and using for example sepia wash afterwords. but it become very thick if you use to much of it. and difficult for smaller details my opinion: good for priming vehicles or plain parts of it. maybe not so useful for smaller models.
In the end, it was the Sunday afternoons he couldn't cope with, and that terrible listlessness which starts to set in at about 2:55, when you know that you've had all the baths you can usefully have that day, that however hard you stare at any given paragraph in the papers you will never actually read it, or use the revolutionary new pruning technique it describes, and that as you stare at the clock the hands will move relentlessly on to four o'clock, and you will enter the long dark teatime of the soul.

Warrgh Bozz Mikki Kaine

Warrgh Bozz Mikki Kaine

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 35 posts
  • Army Name:Mick Kainz Norti Boyz
the best combo ive found is undercoat - black first coat - Darksun foundation Second coat - Tausept foundation , leaving some of the pevious darksun showing at the edges then u can leave it bright like that or ad a coat od devlin mud TRUST ME THIS WORKS AND LOOKS GOOD - TUTORIAL TO COME SOON
"Bite Da Curb!"

Taytonclait

Taytonclait

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 288 posts
I made an evil sunz-y blackmoon-y deffkopta using a lot of yellow, and I really just watered down the Darksun yellow paint a little bit and put on 2 coats, over a black primer coat. Here's a link:

http://taytonclait.d...t.com/#/d4cg9af
Smash 'em, Bash em, Skin em alive!!

popisdead

popisdead

Gyro Stabilised Monowheel

• Boyz
  • 553 posts
I have a couple recipes.

Here is Vomit Vrown with a few blends to Bleached Bone then yellow ink:
Posted Image

There is a bit of brown ink in the trim. This yellow ink one is really in vogue with the local beakie guys.

Here is Iyanden Darksun, Dark Flesh, Golden Yellow -> White, then either Yellow Ink or Tamaya Clear Orange (thinned) as a glaze:
Posted Image

Hope that helps. Happy painting!

Prim'Inister of Kiebec

Prim'Inister of Kiebec

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 31 posts
  • Army Name:Ork of Kiebec
Personnaly I use a layer of ultra thined Astronomican grey when a model is primed black

then thined down Golden yellow (Water/Paint 1:1 or 2:1) (you'll have to give two layer on larger models)
then Gryphone sepia to covers any defects and gives deep to the model
then golden Yellow on the edge of small surfaces and center of the larger one
then Sun burst highlight

exemple on my kanz

Posted Image

Misanthrope

Misanthrope

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 28 posts
  • Army Name:Wakka & Takka's Dakka
The other day I was in GW painting and picked up this little Foundation pot called "Tausept Ochre"... I friggin love it, goes on so well over a black undercoat, can't suggest it enough.