Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

BLACKORC BIGBOSS

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Kr00zA

Kr00zA

Grumpy ole Git

• Goffz
  • 9,957 posts
  • Army Name:Big Berk'z Bashaz
I bought this Black Orc Boss the other day for no other reason than I wanted to grab one last metal figure before they are all gone. Didn't have any firm ideas as what to do with him until the other night when me and a mate was chatting about the good ole days of Hero Quest and Dungeons n Dragons. It was then that I got to thinking... why cant an Orc be an Adventurer/Hero? Seems to me that going around krumping big monsters and getting rich n famous in the process would be right proppa thing to do ;) And its certainly possible if you're playing in a more comical world like the one Blood Bowl is set in rather than the more serious world of Middle Earth. So anyway... had the model... so time to do some converting. First up the head had to go. Didn't like it anyway so swapped it for a more 'Knightly' looking helm from the Black Orc range. As this helmet doesn't have those big tusks in the way I could change the position of his head. This very simple change has a dramatic effect on the overall stance. He now appears to be 'using' his shield instead of just holding it and he appears to be holding his axe in a slightly more dynamic position. Added a plume using a 40K Ork hair piece to add to the 'Knightly' feel. Added a cloak... this is a Giant's loin cloth. I liked the dragon scale on it and it was a good fit. Just needed to extend it a bit with some putty. Also added a short sword to his belt as a back up weapon.. and an extra armour plate to his shield arm. I already had an identical Choppa in my bits box. So used it to turn his choppa into a twin headed battle choppa! :choppa With a small nut n bolt added to the top... additional spike to the handle.. and some paper wrapped around for extra detail.

Attached Thumbnails

• BlackOrc_Hero.JPG
  • BlackOrc_Boss.JPG

Nuf Said.

Avatarz by KroozA and Animated Avatarz by KroozA ... Please dont link directly to them. Save one and upload it to the forum.

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,047 posts
  • Army Name:Mad Miks motor'eads
Ahh that brings me back, long crazy weekends of AD&D. I had a whole rake of half orc charachters for Dungeons and dragons, based around the same family name the McRiots, there was Toxteth O'Riot a half orc Assassin, Seweto ORiots who was a ninja i think. and others i cant remember but Brixton was my favorite, he was Half Barbarian and quarter orc Quarter bugbear and rode around on a Flying broom which he made into a chopper and had a gang of "bikers" with him. They all started with humble level 1 beginings but for some reason, possibly the hardy Orc blood, they all seemed to do pretty well. And they were great fun to play as they got up to all sorts of mad adventures. I even had one that took a potion of "rejuvination" or some such, the one where you could turn into a sprite of an elf or some such depending on the role of a percentage dice, cant remember the correct name for it now, but instead of just coming back to life, you ran the risk of turning into something bazare, Anyway, i aksed the DM before i rolled to see what it was, whether i could have a chance to turn into a leprechaun, and he foolishly agreed as long as i roll 00 on the dice..well as you can guess, i rolled a 00 and ended up with a level 1 leprechaun illusionist with all the inate powers of his race such as turning things into gold and creating illusions , constantly going invisible ect. Now there was a creature of pure chaos. A DM and players worse nightmare but what fun to play. Anyway, to get back to Orcs, Its a great model and love the giant loin cloth as a cloak, only an orc would use the loincloth of a giant to keep warm in ....eeeewwww!
When all else fails Panic
If that doesnt work...then you know you are up to your neck in it!

Kr00zA

Kr00zA

Grumpy ole Git

• Goffz
  • 9,957 posts
The loin cloth was boil washed before becoming his cap ;)

I gave him a good scrub with neat washing up liquid before rinsing him off and letting him dry... then undercoated him in an enamel grey primer which was applied with a brush.
I didn't have any spray handy and wasn't going to buy a can just for one small model ;)
Enamel takes ages to dry properly. Touch dry in six hours and fully dry in 24. Though I like to leave it longer 'until it doesn't smell' before I apply any paint to it. Then Im sure its fully cured. Plus side is it's very hard warring and gives an even better surface to apply paint to than an acrylic primer. So Ive sat him on the back of my monitor where the warmth is aiding the process ;)
Now I need to decide what colours to paint him. I quite like the GW example as it would give a 'Black Knight' look to him.

Attached Thumbnails

• BlackOrc_Hero2.JPG

Nuf Said.

Avatarz by KroozA and Animated Avatarz by KroozA ... Please dont link directly to them. Save one and upload it to the forum.

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,047 posts
  • Army Name:Mad Miks motor'eads
It is a great model. The black knight sounds interesting...or of course you could go for the mythical green knight.
When all else fails Panic
If that doesnt work...then you know you are up to your neck in it!

Kr00zA

Kr00zA

Grumpy ole Git

• Goffz
  • 9,957 posts
Ive plumped for a dark metallic iron colour. A mix of boltgun/black with a boltgun highlight and a brown wash/black ink mix for darkening it down.

Attached Thumbnails

• BlackOrc_Hero3.JPG

Nuf Said.

DEDLOK

DEDLOK

Speckled Bloodshade Fungus

• Grotz
  • 25 posts
  • Army Name:Dedlok's Dogz
I recently bought that figure from the finecast range, purely to see what one would be like to convert for 40k. I thought the shield would make a good dred faceplate, and the head could be converted into a gas mask wearing nob/boss if the tusks were cut away and replaced with some sort of caps. Like what you've done so far. :thumbs

DEDLOK'S DOGZ