Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Gangs of Nu Ork

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

lord_blackfang

lord_blackfang

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 325 posts
  • Army Name:Nu Orkers
Sorry, I don't have any solid content for you boyz yet, just gauging interest.

You see, my lifelong dream has been to run a gang as a detective agency with an Ork and a Panzee as private eye partners, a Daemonette receptionist, Kroot muscle, a Dark panzee coroner, a fish'ead informant, Grot errand boys, and a tin'ead... coat hanger.

Obviously, the fluff will have to be stretched a little, but I'm sure Matt Ward will write an panzee/Chaos alliance in the next Codex, so whatever. Or it can all be set in Mirrorverse 40k.

The setting that I envisioned is in effect an Ork craftworld. A giant archeotech city/hive that the Orks fitted with void shields and teleported into space when the planet they were on was destroyed. It floats around the galaxy semi-randomly and is sustained by raids into Imperial space. Nu Ork is kind of a big player, so other races like to infiltrate it to further their own goals. This is somewhat easier in an Ork-run society than elsewhere in the galaxy, plus the city is way too big to police, anyway. Sometimes, infiltrators get stranded or just decide to stick around because here nobody will kill them for mispronouncing the Emperor's name or for growing that third eye. Eventually, a somewhat functioning mixed society evolves, with the newcomers largely adopting the orky way of life, but the orks in turn also becoming a bit more civilized. Nu Ork becomes a giant lawless slum fragmented into small interest groups, but compared to the rest of the 40k universe, it's a little bubble of calm.

To be continued

lord_blackfang

lord_blackfang

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 325 posts
While the fighting rules remain mostly the same, Da Uvver Book / Sourcebook would have to be replaced almost completely.

Here's what I want to do:

1) One single gang list with mixed races allowed. Some synergistic rules to encourage same-race gangs, but not enough to make mixed gangs unappealing. Some fluff-bases restrictions, like Orks won't ever follow a Grot leader.
2) All 40k races represented. Because human-on-human and ork-on-ork gets old after a while. And GW makes lots of great minis and as many as possible should be playable.
3) Streamlined gang construction. Because there will be so many different races all on the same gang list, it would be unrealistic to have different entries for Leaders, Heavies, Juves, Specials, Meks, etc... of each race. Instead, each race has a single entry with a single set of racial special rules, but 3 different profiles (recruit, veteran, heroic) each with a different hiring cost and starting experience.
In addition, there will be a list of 10 or so different "careers." Each ganger can pick one career, which determines which skill tables he can access and maybe grants another special rule or two. For example, you can hire a Heroic Grot Sniper, or a Recruit Human Medic, or a Veteran panzee Bruiser.
4) More stuff to do in the city! This isn't Mek Town, boyz. If your fragile Panzee ganger doesn't care much for seeing a Dok, he can visit the Hoemunculi or a rogue Apothecary or a Slaanesh brothel or whatever. I also want to add an exploration table ala Mordheim with cool discoveries and encounters in the city.

Killboss

Killboss

Squighound

• Boyz
  • 112 posts
  • Army Name:Da Skid Row Skrappa'z
Interesting idea...
E wiff da most ladz winz. -quote from MorrBruise Da grand Folosafa.

ScottM96

ScottM96

Speckled Bloodshade Fungus

• Grotz
  • 22 posts
  • Army Name:Squigbrain's Ice Daggaz
This sounds fantastic! I really like the idea of this sort of Parody world. It reminds me of a Team Fortress style game, in where the main characters are seemingly working together for no apprent reason. Mind if I help out with this if you decide to go ahead? Scott.

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 3,887 posts
  • Army Name:Trotskin'z Revulushun
Sounds good, but I'm wondering if it might not be a better idea to set the game based on Necromunda. If the emphasis is on gang members of various creeds and cultures with different jobs, Necro offers more opportunities for those to reach fruition. As you will most likely be heavily altering it, nothing is stopping you from nicking the best bits of all the SG Skirmish games, but I suggest you start by looking a fair bit at necromunda. There are more scenarios, rules and opportunities to do what you want. Gorka is a bit more reliant on vehicles. And besides, if you still want vehicles Necro has the ash wastes, so with Necro you get the option of both. As this ruleset suggests to me the depth of an RPG, I'd say Necromunda is the best setting to modify, imo. If you check my Welcome to Da Hive pinned thread in the Necromunda section, there are links to great deal of Necro's rules and scenarios. Let me know if you need any in particular. I have a rather large collection.

lord_blackfang

lord_blackfang

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 325 posts
@Dim Reapa; I't been so long since I've played Necromunda... what are the battle rules differences, anyway? All I remember is that the injury table is less forgiving and that infantry can take heavy weapons. And Necro has climbing around bulkheads instead of driving vehicles, obviously. Nu Ork will be a middle ground regarding amount of terrain, so it'll have to be middle ground regarding viability of ranged attacks, too. As far as the sourcebook goes, I'll combine everything you can do in GM, Necro, and Mordheim. Except for territories, that's just clunky. @ScottM96; certainly, I would appreciate any input once this gets off the ground.

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 3,887 posts
  • Army Name:Trotskin'z Revulushun

@Dim Reapa; I't been so long since I've played Necromunda... what are the battle rules differences, anyway? All I remember is that the injury table is less forgiving and that infantry can take heavy weapons. And Necro has climbing around bulkheads instead of driving vehicles, obviously.

The rules are very similar to GoMo, really. Terrain is, as you said, overemphasised, but there's just more material to work with, really. You've got hired guns, various flavours, more scenario types etc. I would advise some background reading to familiarise yourself.

There is a big Ash Wastes rulebook which basically works in a somewhat similar way to GoMo.

As to injuries, they're more or less similar, just Orks have an easier time fixing them.

Get in touch if you need any pointers for the Necro material. I should be able to help you out there. As to GoMo, there's plenty of experts in this section to help you out. I know a lot more about Necro and less about GoMo. If I get a moment I'll have a quick look around and see what I can suggest. The more info you provide on your ideas the better I can help you.

lord_blackfang

lord_blackfang

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 325 posts
So here's the first draft of the ganger profiles. All costs are very tentative, obviously. I'm also not sure about the maximum characteristics. I went with Necromunda skills as a base. The bonus/banned skill types modify a ganger's access to skill tables based on racial aptitudes, while the defaults are determined by his career. [attachment deleted, see later posts for up to date versions] Suggestions welcome. I would especially like to know if any stats are particularly more valuable than others (Movement and Attacks seem obvious) so I can price the profiles appropriately. Next up will be careers.

Da Bikers

Da Bikers

Grot Orderly

• Boyz
  • 184 posts
This looks quite interesting. At first I was sceptical of this but looking at the PDF I'm really beginning to think that this could turn out really good.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

lord_blackfang

lord_blackfang

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 325 posts
Hey, thanks. If you still have any specific potential issues in mind, by all means let me know so I can avoid them in advance ;) So here is the first batch of careers. Just attach one to each ganger you hire and you have a pretty cool dude right off the bat. It fixes a big issue I have with Necro/Gorkamorka in that everybody is practically the same until you start getting advances. [attachment deleted, see later posts for up to date versions] Obviously not all careers are equal. One worry is that people will try to just take all Gunners. There might have to be a limit on them or prices of heavy weapons could be adjusted to make gunner spam unappealing.

Brogz

Brogz

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 53 posts
Perhaps make a limit that can be streched by mechanics.

lord_blackfang

lord_blackfang

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 325 posts
[attachment deleted, see later posts for up to date versions] First half of the Mordheim-like exploration table. All teef values highly experimental. (zog me, I just noticed that the Dumps location is incomplete) Unlike Mordheim, there are no specials for rolling two of a kind. Three reasons: -4 tables can have a symmetrical layout, 5 can't -it's hard coming up with this stuff -there will be more models exploring than in Mordheim (anyone can do it, as opposed to just Heroes)

Brogz

Brogz

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 53 posts
Off topic but... Start spredin da nooz, Oi'm leevin tode. Oi wont too bee a part ov it, Nu Ork, Nu Ork. Dese Vagabonnd shooz, Ar longin too stray. An' step into the 'eart ov it, Nu Ork, Nu Ork. Oi wan't ta wayk up, in a sity, dat neva sleepz. Too vind Oi'm king ov da hill, top of da heap. Mi weedy town blooz Ar meltin away, Oi'm gonna mayk a brand noo start ov it, In old Nu Ork. If Oi kin mayk it dere, Oi'd mayk it anywher, It's up ta yoo, Nu Ork, Nu Ork!!!

lord_blackfang

lord_blackfang

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 325 posts
Ha ha, that's wonderful, Brogz. :cheers So here's the Mekboy section from Gorkamorka streamlined a bit. [attachment deleted, see later posts for up to date versions]

Ryan

Ryan

Growler (pet squig)

• Grotz
  • 90 posts
have to say i prefer the old way, it isn't changed much tho to be honest, the part about "If you roll a result that is the exact opposite of the kustom job you are currently applying, ignore the result you got lucky this time and there is no tradeoff in performace" <<<it really needs an example, i gather you mean when you go to get more Armour put onto a vehicle and the mek strips Armour you should ignore the result, but new players might not guess that also that in theory leaves guns and vehicles to become super weapons/tanks, you could get a heavy shooter to str 10 with no negative side effects...ok unlikely but still, i would have put "roll again on the table"

lord_blackfang

lord_blackfang

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 325 posts
Hey, thanks for the comment. English isn't my first language so there are bound to be some problems with the wording. Even native speakers can rarely get the point across clearly, just look at the length of FAQs :yes In this case, I think I did actually note exactly what ignores what right next to the tables. Re-rolling instead of ignoring is certainly an option if it turns out that people are generating crazy good guns/vehicles, but I don't see it happening much. Anyway here's the next file, it has the new serious injury chart (I despise D66 rolls so I changed it to 2D6, but it's backwards-compatible for anyone who wants to use the original one) and finished exploration table. I am especially proud of the "Captured By Ruffians" section, it offers the first little glimpse into the new setting with some NPC factions [attachment deleted, see later posts for up to date versions]

Ryan

Ryan

Growler (pet squig)

• Grotz
  • 90 posts
only had a quick look, got nothing negative tho, its all pretty good :thumbs boys would die a bit less but that might not be a bad idea, i liked the 3-6 of a kind stuff, idea taken from Mordheim if i remember rightly?

lord_blackfang

lord_blackfang

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 325 posts
Hey, thanks. The exploration table is from Mordheim, yes. I think it provides a happy middle ground between the bland scrap mining in Gorkamorka and the bookkeeping-intensive Territories in Necro. PS: My replies are slow because I try not to post unless I have a new document to attach. Like so: [attachment deleted, see later posts for up to date versions]

Attached Files

lord_blackfang

lord_blackfang

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 325 posts
A small treat for the two people who still read this thread, three new Ork guns! [attachment deleted, see later posts for up to date versions]

Attached Files

Jorvanni

Jorvanni

Squighound

• Boyz
  • 111 posts
  • Army Name:Wazzaaaaa
Interesting work so far. Good to see the interest on the game is always there to explore and expand. I was planning to make more house rule vehicles to play with family and friends. I kitbashed some ATVs and my friends never agreed if it could be considered a trakk or buggy. I have seen trakks bigger than the forgeworld model. That might get your rules a bit complicated but should give definition to the kitbashing. Your ideas are a great foundation to the fun factor of GoMo. Using ideas from other games will give a different depth to the game. Keep up the good work. :rolleyes