Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Primer Compilation

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

mr_maxime

mr_maxime

'Ard Boy

• Freebooterz
  • 907 posts
I've decided to compile some experience i've had with primers. feel free to add your experiences, im still looking for a better primer. GW Black Primer- Sprays satin and usually covers well. It is the same color as chaos black. Paint flows smoothly over primer. It is expensive. (my personal favorite) Armory Primer- Sprays very flat and can accentuate modelling errors. It seems more difficult to get into It is slightly lighter than chaos black. Cheaper than GW. (my current primer) Krylon black primer- Sprays flat and lighter than chaos black. Cheapest of the three. (it has been a long time since i used this) please add more info about other primers.

I'm right, and nothing ever annoys me more. - Dim

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,750 posts
  • Army Name:Thousand Tribes Waaagh
Primer threads of yore...

http://www.the-waaag...showtopic=47637
http://www.the-waaag...showtopic=46901
http://www.the-waaag...showtopic=22072

I currently use Dupli-color Sandable Automotive Primer. Very cheap, readily available, good results and a bonus... shaped nozzle like an automotive paint sprayer, makes it easier to get into nooks and crannies.
Orks -- comic relief in the grim darkness of the far future.

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

A wise grot knowz da roolz of Da Waaagh and obeyz dem.

mr_maxime

mr_maxime

'Ard Boy

• Freebooterz
  • 907 posts

Primer threads of yore...

my search was too broad and came up with over 20 pages. ill read through those and add the info to this thread in the following days.

mr_maxime

mr_maxime

'Ard Boy

• Freebooterz
  • 907 posts
I am now using P3 primer. It is less glossy than GW, same color as chaos black and has an angled nozzle. I love it.

Agatheron

Agatheron

Blue Thunda Ace

• Nobz
  • 6,553 posts
  • Army Name:Da Blue Thunda Speed Freeks
The P3 Primer is repackaged Duplicolor Black Sandable Primer. I've tried it and compared the two, and they are essentially the same.
______Agatheron \_______
--Remember, long, uncontrolled bursts,
and indiscriminate target selection.
____________________________/

http://chaplainsbrush.wordpress.com/

mr_maxime

mr_maxime

'Ard Boy

• Freebooterz
  • 907 posts

The P3 Primer is repackaged Duplicolor Black Sandable Primer. I've tried it and compared the two, and they are essentially the same.

thats good to know, thanks.

jackdoud

jackdoud

Kaptin Kork

• Boyz
  • 975 posts
99% of my projects I prime with $0.97 flat black. Unless you're doing large flat areas (which there almost never are on ork vehicles) any orange peel, dusting, flaking or beading won't be noticable and I usally have those problems more with the already listed "real" primers anyway then I ever do with the cheap stuff.

Jerseyboy381

Jerseyboy381

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 30 posts
  • Army Name:Da Dethwok Klan
Lately I've been using Touch n' Tone from Autozone. It covers great, gives a nice base for paint and best of all it's cheap. It's like $3 a can and there's a good amount in there. I got Grey and black and I've been using the black mostly to finish my Orks, but will be switching to grey when I start my fantasy Empire to give a brighter base.

mr_maxime

mr_maxime

'Ard Boy

• Freebooterz
  • 907 posts
Tried a new primer today. I just got Vallejo surface primer black. I'll probably never use any other primers again. It's made to be used by airbrush but it can be brushed on. It allows for better control and can get it tight spots much better. It dries much quicker so you don't have to worry about smearing it. This also means it won't pool as easily as canned primer. It also sprays pure black, unlike the Duplicolor primer I've been using which much closer to an extremely dark gray at times. I used about 15-20mL to prime 10 dust warfare soldiers, about a dozen boys and 40 clanrats. I also touched up other minis and spilled some. A 200mL bottle will cost about 17USD. It's possible that I run out of models to prime before my bottle runs out.

ARBAL

ARBAL

Speckled Bloodshade Fungus

• Grotz
  • 19 posts
The best primers for me:
VALLEJO (spray or airbrush): http://www.colouredd...als-part-4.html
AK-Interactive: http://www.colouredd...als-part-8.html

ridin_shotgun

ridin_shotgun

Stainless Steel Skull

• Boyz
  • 562 posts
  • Army Name:Da Krump Karnival Klan
Stop bringing up old threads man, look at the dates on the posts ARBAL, seriously, if its this old, then the chances are its been resolved anyway. Shotgun
All Orks is equal, but some Orks are more equal dan da uvvaz.

mr_maxime

mr_maxime

'Ard Boy

• Freebooterz
  • 907 posts

Stop bringing up old threads man, look at the dates on the posts ARBAL, seriously, if its this old, then the chances are its been resolved anyway.

Shotgun

His input is still relevant. This is the main thread about primer in the how to section. There is not need for several threads describing the same thing hence the "compilation" part in the title.

ridin_shotgun

ridin_shotgun

Stainless Steel Skull

• Boyz
  • 562 posts
  • Army Name:Da Krump Karnival Klan
Ok, fair enough, but he has brought up several other threads also. This thread fair enough though, sorry. Shotgun
All Orks is equal, but some Orks are more equal dan da uvvaz.