Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Ork Warship

* * * * * 17 votes

• Please log in to reply
270 replies to this topic

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 4,801 posts
  • Army Name:Trotskin'z Revulushun
This is absolutely amazing work. If it doesn't make it into the Big Mek's Klassiks when it's finished, I'll eat my wife's shoe collection. The smoke stacks have lured me out of silent observer mode. They're excellent work, especially the oozy residue, although imo you'll need to clean up some the green stuff you've used on the baffles. The untidiness might complete the look, but it might also attract the eye a little too readily. You definitely could use a few Grots on that wooden platform. It gives you a good opportunity to add a bit of narrative to the piece, so you could have one falling off, applying new paint, looking onwards with a set of binoculars, squabbling over some gubbin (could be aforementioned binoculars), or some weapons, as you suggested. You could even have a squigeon pooing on a grot trying to clean squigeon poo off the ship. Very good work so far, keep it up! :thumbs :cheers

Paperclip

Paperclip

Syringe Squig

• Grotz
  • 77 posts
Thanks Dim that's really useful feedback regarding the baffles. Indeed it does appear I was a bit over exuberant with the GS... what was supposed to be a bit of gap filling has made them look almost welded in place which wasn't the intention at all... Hopefully I have now rectified this. Also really liking your ideas with regards to the Grots and have duly ordered a set of Ork Gretchin and Thieving Grots although there are a lot of "firing a weapon" poses, hopefully I can re-purpose a few of them to be doing other things. Are there any non-GW Grots or similar available that are posed in non-fighting roles?

The Normal

The Normal

Parasite Huntin' Squig

• Grotz
  • 81 posts
  • Army Name:Mekaladz

Are there any non-GW Grots or similar available that are posed in non-fighting roles?

Gamezone Miniatures have some metal hooded goblins in cool positions. The 'offensive goblins' set are raising the clothes and showing their butts like the scottish in Braveheart, and the 'Ballista Crew' have one looking trough a spyglass the size of his body. There are other set too. I have them and the sculpt is great, I´m putting them on my stompa.

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 4,801 posts

Also really liking your ideas with regards to the Grots and have duly ordered a set of Ork Gretchin and Thieving Grots although there are a lot of "firing a weapon" poses, hopefully I can re-purpose a few of them to be doing other things.

Are there any non-GW Grots or similar available that are posed in non-fighting roles?

Not sure on the non-GW front, but as someone who converts a lot of grots, I tend to get by mostly on plastic gobbo sprues. It's not ideal (they're a bit taller, and more muscular than 40k Grots), but the scale is about right, and most of the proportions (especially the legs and heads) are more or less spot on, and if you hate how thick the arms are, some GS work can be done to thin the arms (although the torso then becomes a problem as well...).

Also, if you can loot some from trade or second hand, Gretchin Big Gun crews are good for animated grots, with one with a telescope, one that is flinching whilst covering his ears, another is pointing whilst shouting etc. The older ones are also pretty good, there's one with a work cap and a tool-kit for instance.

If you end up at a desperate stage, I may be able to trade you some plastic goblin bits if you need them. I don't have loads but I probably have more than enough for most of my needs. The best plastic Gobbos to use are the common gobbos, either on foot, or the wolf riders. Those are far more pose-able than the current range night goblins, although their arms are weedy enough for 40k grots.

I'm sure there's plenty of non-GW suggestions, though.

Taytonclait

Taytonclait

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 326 posts
One suggestion, and an idea I have for the stompa rotting in my cupboard, is to have little grot riggers on ropes and wooden platforms (probably just 1 as I imagine it to be a lot of work) fixing some armour plate, or a weapon, or something. Something like this:

http://www.dockwalk....nChairStory.jpg

I think a little guy like that would look really sharp on your battleship, what with all the effort you're putting into making a fantastic piece as this.
An added bonus is that the scope of work is called 'rigging'. Rigging, grot riggers, eeeeh yeah. And it works really well with the nautical theme, as bosun chairs (boat swain chairs) originated in naval repair (I think). A little grot on a rope suspended by a crane or davit arm reattaching a piece of armour plate would look super neat. Once I get to that stompa, I will give it a shot.

Just throwing it out there!!
Smash 'em, Bash em, Skin em alive!!

Zagursnik

Zagursnik

Loots from da Lootaz

• Freebooterz
  • 2,558 posts
  • Army Name:Orks of da Pink Floyd
Right off the bat from the grots sprue the one 2 handing a pistol makes a good driller( not too involved) , the one carrying a blunderbuss makes a good oiler/ wrench (little bit more work) , the on holding the stikk bom makes a good wrench boy as well.

Theres some out there ya just gotta find em (cough stompa sprue cough)
"I guess...Grot...you just gotta hold that ol' snazzgun in your hand and it all comes clear to you like it was for me that first time. That's when I knew my one true calling in life.

"And wut's dat Boss?"

"I'm a natural born flashgit kill-joy"

"Ask yourself, this is the age before mechanical weapons. How long does it take to kill 70,000 human beings with swords and spears one at a time? The answer seems to be about 6 hours." Richard Gabriel

Paperclip

Paperclip

Syringe Squig

• Grotz
  • 77 posts
Thanks for the Grot ideas :thumbs

Here's a little something I knocked up this morning...
For scale the shells are 2mm rod... overall its about L 20mm x W 10mm x H 6mm
Posted Image

big mek tank krusha

big mek tank krusha

Dreadnought Pilot

• Blood Axez
  • 1,874 posts
  • Army Name:da mekforce
as for the grots in firing positions, i've found that trimming the pistol off some of them and giving them a lever works quite well - could be a secret part of the ship with the lifts winch-wheel being turned by several grots :lol . here's a pic of what i mean: releaseassembly__1_.JPG should give you more uses and ideas - will you be rigging up a depth-charge launcher? hope this helps :cheers

-BMTK-

the proppa way to loot a bastion!

mechanical nids in the FBH!

4th Edition Orks in 7th W/D/L: 7/0/3

7th edition Orks W/D/L 4/0/0

Paperclip

Paperclip

Syringe Squig

• Grotz
  • 77 posts
Ahh that lever operating grot does work very well, cool tip!

will you be rigging up a depth-charge launcher?

Was thinking of having some kind of depth charge contraption positioned in one of the cut outs at the rear of the hull (where the fishing nets would have come out of on the original model)

Tok

Tok

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 341 posts
How did you do the wood on that crate?

Paperclip

Paperclip

Syringe Squig

• Grotz
  • 77 posts

How did you do the wood on that crate?

Just scratched the grain on with a knife... using the tip of the blade sideways rather than in its normal cutting direction.

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 4,801 posts

Just scratched the grain on with a knife... using the tip of the blade sideways rather than in its normal cutting direction.

The best ideas are always annoyingly simple. I saw your plasti-wood earlier. It made me nearly tear up that I'd never thought of it...

When I need wood, I need to kitbash or the get the greenstuff out. This guy's got skills.

I love the attention to detail on this. Keep it up.

Paperclip

Paperclip

Syringe Squig

• Grotz
  • 77 posts
Hi all,

Well it's been a slow few weeks in terms of progress... since I last posted I primed the top section of the superstructure and then got busy with the paint brush. We'll call this a little teaser shot, because a) the other photos I took were far too blurry and b) from other angles there are a lot of unpainted bits... Once I get it more presentable all round I will set up a tripod and hopefully get some better photos :)

Posted Image

Fox Box

Fox Box

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 239 posts
Oh my gods... It's all so beautiful! I shall be keeping tabs on this project for its sheer mind blowing awesomeness. I'll probably post about it on the Fox Box blog too, methinks.
Fox Box

UK purveyors of the finest in greenskin bitz.

PeaceCraft

PeaceCraft

'Ard Boy

• Boyz
  • 819 posts
  • Army Name:Da KogDeff Broozaz
holy cow! this is awesome! very nice work there, very inspiring keep him comin, very curious to see him complete

Shabbadoo

Shabbadoo

Dreadnought Pilot

• Bad Moonz
  • 1,860 posts
  • Army Name:Bad Moons(Waaagh! Skargrim)
Wow! Lots of nice work going on here. Looking forward to seeing this leviathan in all its glory. :thumbs

Ruthgut

Ruthgut

Speckled Bloodshade Fungus

• Grotz
  • 22 posts
Woah this thing looks awesome and huge. I can't wait to see the full thing completed.

Paperclip

Paperclip

Syringe Squig

• Grotz
  • 77 posts
Thank-you for the kind comments, just a little painting update today...

A grot taking the lift...
Posted Image

Sniper grot takes up a fire position...
Posted Image

Fox Box

Fox Box

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 239 posts
I really like how your plasticard wood turns out. How do you do it?
Fox Box

UK purveyors of the finest in greenskin bitz.

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 4,801 posts

I really like how your plasticard wood turns out. How do you do it?

Fox Box: check post 91 on this very page...