Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Ork Warship

* * * * * 17 votes

• Please log in to reply
270 replies to this topic

Paperclip

Paperclip

Swab Squig

• Grotz
  • 78 posts
For the last couple of months I've been lurking on The Waaagh reading the various modelling and painting threads with interest and often in awe!

During this time I've also been working on a "little" project of my own. Put simply I'm building a radio controlled model boat from a kit which I got especially for the purpose of converting in to an Ork Warship. Kind of like a floating Ork maritime diorama.

Up until now much of the work in progress has been little to do with Orks and mostly just building the kit (fitting the motors, rudder, prop and decks etc) so I didn't feel it was appropriate to start a thread a here. But I've been keeping my own blog recording my progress should anyone be interested in that side of things.

This is the kit as it was out of the box. To give you an idea of size, the hull is 900mm in length and 300mm wide.
Posted Image

I'm afraid I don't really have an overall plan to show what the finished ship may look like, kind of just developing as I go, so it maybe a little difficult at this stage to work out what on earth I'm up to, but hopefully as things progress more it will become clearer. I will try and get a decent overall shot on here as soon as possible, even though its mostly just looks like the standard boat kit bit at the moment. Its a bit dark for photographs at the moment >:

Anyway on to the reason why we are all here... This is my first bit of Orky construction. Its a raised platform for the helm, and also where the captain of the ship will be overseeing his minions from. I think I've probably been a bit too neat and I can kind of see that being a reoccurring problem for me hehe
Posted Image

And this is the little fella that's going to be steering (aka my Greenstuff experiment)
Posted Image

Klawgut

Klawgut

the ginger haired squig

• Boyz
  • 437 posts
  • Army Name:Klawgut IronToofs tooflords
thats awsome... a levitating pirate ork or orc and the green stuff work and plasticard is all amazing. lets see the next bit.
"DAKKA DA CHOPPY STUFF AND CHOPPA DA DAKKA-IE STUFF!! WAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!" Warboss Klawgut

Praetorians
BTSWA

MaddaMek

MaddaMek

Gargant Krew

• Deathskullz
  • 2,775 posts
  • Army Name:Freak'd out Skulls
Hello! Nice first post. And topic. This one will be big. I think there is Goblin actually Ginger Hair Squig. Still, proppa as hell. Could we see photo from side of GS arm?
Moldmaking tutorials [part 1] [part2]

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 4,851 posts
  • Army Name:Trotskin'z Revulushun
As Maddamek says, it's a Grot, not an Ork. And it isn't levitating, it has a foothold on one of the rungs. Very impressive model so far. Looking forward to seeing more.

Coco

Coco

Attack Squig

• Boyz
  • 115 posts
I like the idea! I am working on an Ork airship! Need to post it here

Gobsmakk'd

Gobsmakk'd

Gyro Stabilised Monowheel

• Deathskullz
  • 548 posts
  • Army Name:Da Ska' Vengaz (Deff Skullz)
Welcome to The Waaagh!, Paperclip, glad you decided to stop lurking. Your p-card and GS skills look top-notch and this project will be fantastic to watch, I'm sure. Even though it's your first Orky build, you seem to have captured the essence pretty good already with that steering grot. And I wouldn't worry about being too neat, you can always rough it up a bit later if you want, but not everyone does. To save yourself some time and aggravation, however, if you do want to achieve that look and feel, I would suggest that you roughen up some of the edges of your deck plating before you glue them into position. Just use a coarse file or drag a cutter blade (carefully) along the edge. There's a few tutorials around if you search for them. Cheers :cheers

Jorvanni

Jorvanni

Squighound

• Boyz
  • 111 posts
  • Army Name:Wazzaaaaa
Welcome to the Waaagh! I will follow your thread very closely because I bought a remote control model that will fit perfectly on the Ork mode of building. I do not have a pic but I am planning to get t thread on it as soon as I start working on it. The toy is from Alien Racers. I love the hat on the grot. Frrebooters FTW. I do not think that you are too neat on the platform or better said "it looks awesome". In my opinion too much chaos even on an Ork model can make it look like just pieces glued together. You could add some glyphs to the fence/rails and probably break an area. So far great work and I will keep taking note in the shadows.

Paperclip

Paperclip

Swab Squig

• Grotz
  • 78 posts
Thanks for the warm welcome :)

As promised I've tacked everything in place this morning and taken some overview shots whilst its sunny.

Do bear in mind that at this stage there is very little Orkification and you are basically looking at a fishing trawler :D
There are also a few bits of card taped on which are just ideas.

Posted Image

The idea with the skull and crossbones is that it will eventually be attached to some sort of girder structure.
Posted Image

The crane at the back will be fitted with a big old claw type thing for grabbing any ship that dares to get too close hehe
The big smoke stack will also be joined by various other chimneys and pipes etc
Posted Image

This shot shows what is going to be a sort of boiler room or at least the furnace. Will have some grots shovelling coal, adjusting valves etc. and I'll be adding a lot more pipework and other detailing around it.
Posted Image

a levitating pirate ork

I was originally going to give him a box to stand on because I wanted him to be visible rather than be behind the wheel. Then I hit upon the idea that he would literally be clinging on to the wheel using his full body weight to turn the huge wheel.

Anyway, that's how its looking so far... I best get on with work!

Kr00zA

Kr00zA

Grumpy ole Git

• Goffz
  • 9,989 posts
  • Army Name:Big Berk'z Bashaz
Cant gripe about the build quality but not so sure about its overall design. I realise it looks clean because you're so early on into the build, but it looks more like a tug boat/fishing trawler than a battleship to me.
Nuf Said.

Avatarz by KroozA and Animated Avatarz by KroozA ... Please dont link directly to them. Save one and upload it to the forum.

blackblade68

blackblade68

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 234 posts
  • Army Name:No name
Are you actually wanting this to float and to be used as a radio controlled motor boat? I'd just be worried about the weight when you start adding more plastic to it... But if not I think you have a great start. Maybe you could add something like this...
http://www.libertyho...es/schooner.jpg
to the front. But make it a huge blade instead?

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,441 posts
  • Army Name:Mad Miks motor'eads
Looking Gooooood!!! :thumbs

When all else fails Panic
If that doesn't work...then you know you're up to your neck in it!

Paperclip

Paperclip

Swab Squig

• Grotz
  • 78 posts

Cant gripe about the build quality but not so sure about its overall design. I realise it looks clean because you're so early on into the build, but it looks more like a tug boat/fishing trawler than a battleship to me.

Is there not that famous ork klan that likes to go fishing? :D Seriously though, I totally agree it doesn't look much like any kind of warship at the moment, but then I haven't really done anything yet to dramatically alter it. I have a vision in my mind's eye of how I think it will look its just tricky making that jump to actually build something. It'll no doubt involve adding additional superstructure and of course plenty of gun emplacements etc. I should probably put the rivets down and stop focussing so specifically on small areas and think more overall design.

Are you actually wanting this to float and to be used as a radio controlled motor boat? I'd just be worried about the weight when you start adding more plastic to it...

Yeah, it is a fully working R/C boat, or at least will be. One major reason for choosing this boat kit, other than the overall aesthetic of the hull, is the sheer amount of ballast it requires to get down to its waterline. IIRC its about 10-12kg on top of the batteries, motor etc. Along with the hull shape which gives it good stability, I should have no trouble with weight issues or it being top heavy.

crispy

crispy

Grot Rigger

• Boyz
  • 171 posts
Great idea paperclip. Its good to see another r/c boater on here too. I started building my first r/c boat last year and had loads of fun with it until the water got too cold to dive in after it should it all go keel up :blush Even managed to convert a friend to join me for races down the river. I can see this trawler kit getting a very nice pirate look and know from the little experience I have that there wont be any probs with overloading it. As you say that hull will need shed loads of ballast just to bring it down to the waterline. What electrics will you be running it with? Hopefully it'll be getting some orky broadside cannons and lots of dakka. Keep the pics coming. Nic
"When the pin is removed, Mr Grenade is not your friend!"

howie

howie

Paint Squig

• Boyz
  • 100 posts
  • Army Name:PyRos
Wow this is going to look ace. Now if only the Orks could board and pluner the other ships on the waves :'(

xzantrax

xzantrax

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 224 posts
There is one way to do this: Loot the design of the Yamato land ship! Either that, or make it more like a man o'war, the old wooden ships of the line. Re-imagined in cast iron, rivets and smoke-belching engines. And lots of gunports.
Remember the golden rule of engineering: measure once, cut twice, grind to fit.

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Wired into a kan.

• Boyz
  • 1,773 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

Either that, or make it more like a man o'war, the old wooden ships of the line. Re-imagined in cast iron, rivets and smoke-belching engines.
And lots of gunports.

Just not quite as many as the Mary Rose :crybaby

I'm thinking the bottom of the ladder will be the waterline :? Plated up & loadsa rivvits it should look more than orky enough (once you've trashed the cabin) and for an encore you could put a landing pad on the foredeck for an r/c deffcopta :lol

xzantrax

xzantrax

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 224 posts
Dethcopta landingpad in the front, and a fortress/factory in the back maybe? And lots of guns! Also, something with it demands a tyranid trygon hunting harpoon in the front.
Remember the golden rule of engineering: measure once, cut twice, grind to fit.

WarLord Bronco

WarLord Bronco

Gob Squig

• Grotz
  • 64 posts
  • Army Name:rednešks
very nice, I'm curious how it goes
You get what you get

Coco

Coco

Attack Squig

• Boyz
  • 115 posts
Looking good! Nice blog on it also! The more I see this the more I think it would look sweet with some huge tires or tracks! What model did you start with?(looking at blog now to see if its there)

Nozeminer

Nozeminer

Glorifier of Grotz

• Deathskullz
  • 2,021 posts
  • Army Name:Snotbagz Nozeminerz
If you're going to actually put this in the water, make sure you add an armored prow on the front so when you ram the other boats on the pond, you won't sink with them. ;)
Yoo kin pikk yer Warboss an' yoo kin pikk yer noze. But, yoo kant pikk yer Warbossez noze.

"Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb."

Kromlech for all your Orky goodness.

Nozeminer Studioz