Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Video Tutorial - Painting Orks using (mostly) washes.

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

arcticcanadian

arcticcanadian

Gnasher (face eater)

• Grotz
  • 85 posts
  • Army Name:801
The video only works halfway and then it no longer works...

ScatRD

ScatRD

Throws the bomb, not the pin.

• Grotz
  • 3 posts
Just checked the video and it appears to work fine and "Itz a good 'un Boss!" :thumbs
Hit 'em hard, Hit 'em low and give 'em plenty of Dakka

Dont Press Dat

Dont Press Dat

Buzzing Squig

• Grotz
  • 96 posts
I was thinking about using this technique for my recently acquired forgeworld kommandos, but being new to painting and not particularly good, I'm wondering what colours to use for the more complicated models. This is what they look like:

Posted Image

I'm a bit confused what to use for things like straps, belts, the eye pieces on the masks, and the different sections for the masks themselves. Anyone got some advice?
- DPD

Gromuk

Gromuk

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 5 posts
  • Army Name:Gromuk's Band
First of all sorry for necroposting but i think everyone should see this tutorial ! :) I gave it a try as i'm a lazy painter and i've been postponing my 150+ orks for a few years now. Did two prototypes but the end result is kind of darkish, maybe i overdid the last wash ? Then i saw the pics from greggles and tried to reproduce his results which i found really great. Greggles what do you mean by light wash ? You apply very little or do you mix it with water ? Do you have any more pictures of your orks by any chance? :) My two prototypes are the two in front. I'm rather happy with them but my metalics don't look as good as yours greggles. Any pointers ?

Attached Files

greggles

greggles

'Ard Boy

• Boyz
  • 867 posts
  • Army Name:Noobie Horde
Hey Gromuk!

I think your metallics look about the same as mine. I think it's just photography/lighting differences. If you have a harbor freight near you, pick up one of their little handhold drills...its a little tiny thing in a metal case. Works great for drilling the gun barrels.

As for light wash. I just mean I didn't douse it on. Basically much less then your initial mud wash on the white primer. Keeps them from being overly muddy. Adjust to your taste!

On some of my other models, I tend to put down a light wash, then lightly dab up the excess on flat surfaces. That way the wash gets into the crevices, but doesn't overly stain the flat parts.

Example is on the resin bases for my templars
Posted Image

I wish i had found this tutorial right when I got my orks. I feel as if all the orks I painted prior to it look like crap now. I am actually thinking of buying a new nobz box just to repaint them all.....

A_Lone_Hobo

A_Lone_Hobo

Grot Oiler

• Boyz
  • 165 posts
  • Army Name:Da Ball Krunchaz
Just had a go myself:

Posted Image

works really well (even on crappy 2nd models that have almost no detail lol)

i doubled up on all the colours though and used a bugger load of devlan mud. anyone have any idea where to get cheap devlan mud?
"I'm The Biggest So I'm The Boss!" - Classic Ork Heirarchy At Its Best :P

Gromuk

Gromuk

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 5 posts
  • Army Name:Gromuk's Band
good job they look realy good. Here are my results on the squad. I'm about to attack a second squad next week ! and thx for the reply greggles, forgot to check back ;) But as i'm only about to continue my work, thx anyway :P And as a bonus, here is a deamon prince of tzeentch that i did with the same techniques somewhat ;) Thanks again for the tut thoume and everyone else that contributed here !

Attached Files

Da Krumpa

Da Krumpa

Speckled Bloodshade Fungus

• Grotz
  • 22 posts
Great tutorial... :thumbs This is SOOO looted for doing my boyz! :cheers