Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Ork Fort question

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Boss Gobbstompa

Boss Gobbstompa

Warbike Boy

• Deathskullz
  • 1,535 posts
  • Army Name:Gobbstompaz Looty Gitz
So, I'm working on designs for an ork fort and wanted to know how big I should make it. I was thinking four walls at 12" long, but that might not be a big enough fort. Maybe 14" or 16"? I dunno. What do y'all think?
Nkelsch on the differences between disembarking from open-topped vehicles and closed vehicles.
QUOTE (nkelsch @ Dec 10 2009, 10:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Compare a bunch if drunk rednecks jumping out of the back of a pickup truck VS a bunch of old ladies getting off the bus.

BLAAAGH!!! Gobbstompa (WIP/Magnetizing tutorial)
WAAAGH!!! Gobbstompa (finished models)
The Legend of Gobbstompa (fluff)

Flamekebab

Flamekebab

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 435 posts
My fort, whilst unfinished, is modular. The gate is one piece, then there are wall sections that can be arranged in a variety of ways. Vertically there should be platforms at 4" intervals (standardisation FTW) to ensure models can actually reach them in one turn. The other dimensions depend on the size of your board. I play on a 4' x 4' surface and so my fort can't be too huge.

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 3,849 posts
  • Army Name:Trotskin'z Revulushun

Vertically there should be platforms at 4" intervals (standardisation FTW) to ensure models can actually reach them in one turn.

Or 3" is also acceptable. Most of the old card stuff was built to utilise the Bulkhead pieces, which were 3" by 3" width and height.

I think the old Gorka fort was about 14-16" in width at the widest point, but if you can wait until Monday or Tuesday (maybe even Sunday night) I have a Gorka fort over my parents, and I can give you some measurements if you want.

Boss Gobbstompa

Boss Gobbstompa

Warbike Boy

• Deathskullz
  • 1,535 posts
  • Army Name:Gobbstompaz Looty Gitz
That sounds great. I was going to go with probably a 6" high wall, and maybe an 8" high gate (to accommodate any vehicles I loot/buy/capture), but I was going to go with the 3" platforms. I'd thought about doing something modular, with each wall connecting either to a tower or another wall as the board would allow. The hard part would be figuring out a way to get the towers to fit. I'd love to see pics of your fort, Dim. No hurry, though. I'm not going to be able to build it until I get a new apartment (or flat, for you blokes across the pond), which is not until the 27th.
Nkelsch on the differences between disembarking from open-topped vehicles and closed vehicles.
QUOTE (nkelsch @ Dec 10 2009, 10:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Compare a bunch if drunk rednecks jumping out of the back of a pickup truck VS a bunch of old ladies getting off the bus.

BLAAAGH!!! Gobbstompa (WIP/Magnetizing tutorial)
WAAAGH!!! Gobbstompa (finished models)
The Legend of Gobbstompa (fluff)

Burnface

Burnface

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 29 posts
  • Army Name:Waagh Corps
There's a great tutorial in the warhammer siege book for making quick walls out of stuff you can find laying around. Might be worth a gander.

Easy E

Easy E

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 262 posts
  • Army Name:Rotgutz Skulsmash Reeverz
Is this thread open for pictures?

5th Annual Aeronautica Imperialis Campaign-http://z8.invisionfr...hp?showforum=38

Flamekebab

Flamekebab

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 435 posts
Of course! The more the better!

Easy E

Easy E

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 262 posts
Posted Image

I ran out of black paint while painting this, and then never went back to finsih it. Perhaps this weekend?

5th Annual Aeronautica Imperialis Campaign-http://z8.invisionfr...hp?showforum=38

Flamekebab

Flamekebab

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 435 posts
I like your Deff Islands stuff, Easy E, but do you have any bigger pictures? It's quite hard for me to make out many of the details (they're tiny on my oversized monitor).

I wonder if there's a trend amongst us for not finishing forts. I started one when I was a kid, which I never finished and eventually dismantled. The one I use at the moment is still not finished.
Has anyone actually finished a fort?

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 3,849 posts

I wonder if there's a trend amongst us for not finishing forts. I started one when I was a kid, which I never finished and eventually dismantled. The one I use at the moment is still not finished.
Has anyone actually finished a fort?

I have one of the gorka ones built, but my camera has been playing silly buggers for two weeks.

When I do get pictures up, I still suggest Gobbstompa makes his a tad bigger. The originals were built with the trukks of the time in mind, not the new bigga ones. Although, for a Biker Gang Git like Gobbstompa, that might not matter.

Just imagine what might have happened at Troy if the Horse never fitted under the gate...

Flamekebab

Flamekebab

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 435 posts

I have one of the gorka ones built, but my camera has been playing silly buggers for two weeks.

The card one?

Just imagine what might have happened at Troy if the Horse never fitted under the gate...

I tried to plan around that one. My fort gate is finished in terms of construction, but not fully painted yet. It's 10" tall with a gate about 8" tall, with platforms at 4" off the ground to connect with other wall pieces (and ladders up to the parapets). The doors are on hinges made using interlocking plastic tubing. I built it to accommodate my scratch-built Rebel Grot Big Lugga, which is utterly enormous (kinda unintentionally - it got out of hand!).
Posted Image

Open with one of Midnight's trukks for size comparison:
Posted Image

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 3,849 posts

The card one?

Yeah. It's a pretty beat up copy too. I wanted to make a Rebel version, but yeah, never did get around to that project.

That is some gate!

Love the plating work on it.

Killboss

Killboss

Squighound

• Boyz
  • 112 posts
  • Army Name:Da Skid Row Skrappa'z
Thats a awesome gate flame, really digging it.
E wiff da most ladz winz. -quote from MorrBruise Da grand Folosafa.

Da Bikers

Da Bikers

Grot Orderly

• Boyz
  • 184 posts
That gate it epic, it beats the hell out of the old cardboard one!
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Flamekebab

Flamekebab

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 435 posts
Thanks everyone! :) I hope it'll look even better when it's done. Plenty of rust is planned, and maybe some colour on the glyphs too, you know, to make it ded 'ard lookin'.

Easy E

Easy E

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 262 posts
Green.... with envy!