Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Is it time for a large scale campaign?

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

Da Bikers

Da Bikers

Grot Orderly

• Boyz
  • 184 posts
In the same way that Warhammer 40k has the campaigns such as the wars for Armageddon and the eye of terror campaign shouldn’t GorkaMorka organise its own campaign? For example the Orks have decided to rid themselfs of the rebel grots. There is a large campaign of rebel grots v Orks. If the grots win (perhaps because they work together and Orks might fight each other for scrap along the way) then they have fought off the Orks. If the Orks win (because they are bigger, stronger and have better technology) then it probably won't change much because there will always be grots who want to run away and what Orks want to stay and guard the rebel grots old camp to stop them coming back when they could be making their fortune, earning their passage on GorkaMorka or simply drinking some warm fungus brew in the bar? This means that the rebel grots are back soon after and not much has changed but we have all had fun running the large campaign as well as proving that Orks are the best. :whip What does everyone else think, good idea or not worth the hassle?
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Flamekebab

Flamekebab

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 433 posts
As part of Ere Be Stuff we at tUGS are working on a story-driven campaign, although it's nothing like you suggested. Perhaps if we get ours finished it'll be easier for others to put campaigns together.

theclash24

theclash24

Flesh Eater Squig

• Grotz
  • 89 posts
there are always campaigns going on--- its up to the players to make their own and have fun!
"ARGH! THEY SHOOTIN' AT ME WAGON!"

Flamekebab

Flamekebab

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 433 posts
A large scale campaign could certainly be fun, if the demand is there tUGS could organise and track one.

Killboss

Killboss

Squighound

• Boyz
  • 112 posts
  • Army Name:Da Skid Row Skrappa'z
I like the idea of a large scale campain, tracking it would make for some great fluff or an advance in the timeline. Also the combinded efforts of all the exiting gomo fans would be a great why to unit them.
E wiff da most ladz winz. -quote from MorrBruise Da grand Folosafa.

Da Bikers

Da Bikers

Grot Orderly

• Boyz
  • 184 posts
:biggrin I'm really glad that you liked the sound of it, thanks. I wasn't sure if it was a good idea or not. Maybe if something like this was organised it might help get more people interested in GorkaMorka (the more the merrier) as well as being fun for everyone already playing.
(\__/)

Flamekebab

Flamekebab

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 433 posts
It sounds like the sort of thing I could figure out how to organise and run, although some other members of the tUGS team would have to deal with the intricacies of the storyline and artwork.

There's a lot of work still to go into Ere Be Stuff but we're making steady headway. If you don't fully understand what EBS is I'd be more than happy to prattle on about it for a few paragraphs but otherwise I won't waste your time.

The new factions it introduces could make GoMo a considerably more varied environment more suited for an international campaign perhaps, although it all depends on what everyone makes of the upcoming content.

Once EBS is done we can focus on further projects, such as this one, but for now I'm going to put it on my personal "eventually" list.

Easy E

Easy E

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 261 posts
  • Army Name:Rotgutz Skulsmash Reeverz
I am a veteran of many online campaigns. See the Aeronautica Imperialis sub-forum here for an example. The only potential X factor I can see in running an online campaign for something like GM is the wide range of power levels between gangs. In a local campaign, you can take gang rating into account to bring weaker gangs up to speed, but you don't have the same ability online.
4th Annual Aeronautica Imperialis Campaign-Blood and Irongard

Flamekebab

Flamekebab

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 433 posts
I'm doing my best not to think about the implementation of the idea at the moment. If I do start thinking about it I'll struggle to put the project down. I'm sure if we put our heads together we can solve any of the issues that might arise.

Easy E

Easy E

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 261 posts
I've been thinking about this a bit more. Mostly the setting. I see a couple of options: 1. Place it in a new Skid around a piece of Gorkamorka that fell away during re-entry and crashed on a different part of the planet. Essentially, no Mektown, but something that functions in a similar way. 2. The setting could be by "Da Big Nort Wallz" of the Skid, so essentially keep it set in Da Skidz, but put it in a very specific part of Da Skidz, perhaps using the fort of a powerful Ork Mek/Nob as the center of it... Like Mektown. 3. Someplace out in Da' Wastes away from Da Skid entirely. 4. A completely new planet that is infested with Orks, perhaps int he Jungle sof Armageddon with the Feral Orks. Some of these thigns could lead to a lot of opportunity for new rules and such, and others less so. It depends on how much work any one person wants to put intothe campaign. The only part I am struggling with is balancng the various "power" of GoMo gangs. Traditionally, as you do stuff, you earn points for certain factions. I.E. Morkers, Gorkers, Rebel Grots, Diggaz, etc. For example, you win a game you earn 5 points, you paint a boy you earn 1 point, and these points are assigned to a zone. However, for GoMo, I can't shake the feeling that Mob rating should somehow come into play instead? For example, as your boyz frow, they can contribute more to the faction. However, this system would only reward playing, and not converting, painting, etc. Just some random thoughts on this topic lately.

Depiff

Depiff

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 14 posts
  • Army Name:Da Cuttas ov Da Jibb
It's certainly a good idea, and there's certainly a lot of ideas to play with. Easy E has some good ideas on how it could work, but for large scale online games, I would consider filling in the gaps around the map that we already have (eg. what's past the howling hills and bowling sea?), and divide the map up into areas/zones? And you are trying to capture the most amount of land as possible by winning games...Of course not all games that you win will earn you land, some will be for scrap, or recce, or even to rescue captives (could maybe roll before each game to see what it is for). In theory, you should only be able to capture land in a zone that you share a border with. In fantasy and lotr campaigns like this (at least ones I've plated), you also have to leave so many points worth of your army in captured areas to defend them. Not sure if that would work in GoMo. As for fluff, why all this is going on can be easily explained. Maybe there's talk of the big bad coming, whispers in the dark, the weirdboyz, communications, etc...so the mobs are stockpiling in all resources. Maybe something tin'ead has been unearthed and it has led mobs to believe there is something else more powerful buried out there and they're going to find it. Maybe some other Orks are going to pick them up and it sends them into a frenzy, trying to 'prepare' the planet for their arrival. Maybe the two suns' are giving off solar flares and the magnetic disturbances are illuminating psychic hotspots which everyone wants to take hold of. Maybe there is no reason...I mean its very similar to normal games anyway. Just a few thoughts, but hopefully something will spark someone's mind to start working.

Flamekebab

Flamekebab

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 433 posts
There's some good discussion here. There's definitely a lot of scope left in the Gorkamorka setting (which I'm rather attached to). I'd be interested to see what would happen if the campaign we're working on at tUGS was implemented as a large scale one. Some elements might need adjusting, but it's not outside the realms of possibility.

skarnir

skarnir

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 309 posts
  • Army Name:WAAARGH SKARNIR
wh ydont you do a campaign of all campaigns for gorkamorka. they finally get gorkamorka powered up to the point where it walks/crawls/wheels/hovers it way into the middle of the skidd. at which point boyz mobs will try to add scrap and roll to see wheter it does its thing to bring them back to the stars. where as the muties diggas and grots would be trying to ripp as much of it up as they could or stow away on it. of course there would be in fighting between the gorkers and morkers and those who have passage on gorkamorka and those who will be left behind. the culmination of the campaign would be when gorka morka finally does its thing, which would end in a many various way depending on how much has been fixed, smashed, sabotaged, improoved and various other bits and bobs. so you could see it fly off in the sky with all those on board laughing all the way to the stars, or maybe exploding and leaving more scrap than you could shake a stick at everywhere, maybe it will just chugg rumble a little and belch out smoke and not much else. the possabilitys are endless. and even if it does take off the orks are bound to build another effigy, its what they do. sound any good or just madness?
"Our crops will wither, our children will die piteous deaths and the sun will be swept from the sky." - Tom Kirby

Depiff

Depiff

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 14 posts
  • Army Name:Da Cuttas ov Da Jibb
Sounds like madness...so I'd be well up for it! Conjures up the image of Gorkamorka, but decades on. Throw in a well develop story, some new contraptions and a new mob or two, and you/we got yourself something to run with!

Killboss

Killboss

Squighound

• Boyz
  • 112 posts
  • Army Name:Da Skid Row Skrappa'z
sounds like a good idea for a campain.
E wiff da most ladz winz. -quote from MorrBruise Da grand Folosafa.

Burnface

Burnface

Speckled Bloodshade Fungus

• Grotz
  • 24 posts
  • Army Name:Waagh Corps
I'm going to talk to my gaming group about this! See what we Canadians can contribute.

skarnir

skarnir

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 309 posts
  • Army Name:WAAARGH SKARNIR
i do plan on running a gorkamorka campaign in the new year but since iv not actually played it before i think we will play the vanilla version of the game. i do plan on doing something mad and crazy like the camapaign i have mentioned i the future though. the basic concept i wanted to try was to feel like the game had progressed some what and not to get teh feeling that it has stagnated(not that it has) so actually having gorkamorka do something would be kick ass as i find most of you agree.
"Our crops will wither, our children will die piteous deaths and the sun will be swept from the sky." - Tom Kirby

Easy E

Easy E

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 261 posts
Perhaps we could have a campaign about the orks trying to penetrate the areas around the Pyramids.

Da Bikers

Da Bikers

Grot Orderly

• Boyz
  • 184 posts
It could be good but I don't know if there are that many Digga players to match the number of ork players, maybe you could say that some weird power of the pyramids could power them up so that they could take on several players at once if necessary. One of the things that I worry about with the large campaigns is that if they alter the game too much it could translate to the game play (e.g. the scenarios and setting) and also cause a gap between the players who took part in it and those who didn't. Also for running the campaign perhaps there could be different objectives for each of the groups to battle over, perhaps a load of scrap from part of the hulk spread over the desert could be turning itself on and each group could have a battle to represent their part of da skid top posses it for a start, possibly using a new scenario, then you could see who what (gorkers or rebel grots etc.) and that would alter the story in mektown and dictate what sort of battles and scenarios people need to play in different parts of the skid. In this way lots of groups can take part and they all help alter the growing story line and keep playing new battles as the story goes on (perhaps there could be a leader board as well for both the mobs and also their team).
(\__/)

Burnface

Burnface

Speckled Bloodshade Fungus

• Grotz
  • 24 posts
  • Army Name:Waagh Corps
I have talked to my gaming club and we're down to participate. We're not quite ready yet but we're busy building, converting, and writing. My suggestion would be seconding Biker. Different regions battle over different regions or objectives. Look at eye of terror. other than a cop out ending, the structure was very good. Example Gamers from Canadas start "World War Digga" And start trying to exterminate the Diggaz. Maybe to take it to another level. the Gorkers, tired of diggatech outshinin' der choppaz decide to go and smash it from the face of the universe in a series of waaagh-thirsty raids. Dem sneaky Morkers (Thinkin they can lift some tech for demselves) toss in their lot with the diggaz. Meanwhile Across the desert (In America) The Gorkaz hear about this ere mini waaagh. They start heading up that way but are Kiaboshed by reble grots who have so graciously taken Digga refugies. These diggaz fight along side the grots...only long enough to get some rest and then turn on em for bein dead weedy. Based on Gorker , morker, Digga, and grots wins certain events, advantages, or missions would open up. Event cards may be issued. the Un-named has all kinds off good stuff and we plan on using damn near everything from there (Save for Dark panzee and Dustrats. DE seem to be to clean for gomo in our opinion and my group and I have never been a fan of adding the imperium to Gorkamorka. Our justification being the moment the Imperium found that world, it'd be smashed by a full guard regiment or Beakies. That and the Imperium gets enough attention) So far, in our group, it looks like We have two Gorker bands,a Morker band, A Digga Mob, And a Snorta Pack.