Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

FW Grot tank awesomeness

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Oddballz

Oddballz

He who was Snord

• Nobz
  • 5,167 posts
  • Army Name:Da Greenmarines; Rotfang's Skroungas (still WiP)
My Grot tanks arrived this weekend. While they looked great on the website, I was apprehensive about what I'd get, given FW's inconsistent quality - although the Grot krew I bought recently suggested this had improved. Anyway, I'm pleased to say they are superb - beautifully cast, with nothing missing or mis-cast (apart from a slight misalignment on one of the hulls). And the detail and texturing is extraordinary, especially on the tracks. I thought you'd all like to see some photos of the components as they arrived. Here are the hulls. The one at the back has some significant resin plugs to remove. This is probably the worst cleanup needed. Grottank1.jpg The turrets. These are very cool, as they are based on historical tank types. Grottank1__1_.jpg The tracks. I haven't found any flaws, despite their complex shape. There is obviously some flash to remove, but it comes off easily. I think the lower track section may be quite fragile, so the models will probably benefit from being based. Grottank1__3_.jpg The weapons and exhausts. There only seems to be one of each weapon, but it would be easy to make more. Grottank1__2_.jpg The krew. The Grot 'Rommel' is fantastic. Grottank1__4_.jpg Happy to answer any questions, although the photos pretty much speak for themselves.
Oddballz

"If you wants to understan' an enemy, you gotta walk a mile in his shoes. Den, if he's still your enemy, at least you're a mile away and he's got no shoes." Plateau, trollish philosopher

jack da greenskin

jack da greenskin

Loota Boy

• Deathskullz
  • 1,223 posts
  • Army Name:jack's ork army
Thanks for the pics, I love the idea (but buying FW stuff with paperround money is quite hard... ;) ) but its nice looking at these pics to see what you really get. krew look great, trakks are impressive. I wouldve hoped that they included more weapons, but you win some you lose some. unless your an ork, in which case you win alot, or a gretchin, who lose loads. 60 for four tanks arent bad prices, but making your own is fun and cheap. those crew and trakks though... :love
QUOTE (Kingh on paroxyism vs waaagh banner.)
This is just further proof that none of the 5th Ed Codexes received any play-testing beyond Mat Ward running around the building with a Land Speeder model whilst screaming 'VROOM VROOM'

FREEBOOTA ANTHEM
paintbrush 2010 kill count:

Oddballz

Oddballz

He who was Snord

• Nobz
  • 5,167 posts
There's no doubt these are expensive. And building your own model will often be more satisfying. For me, while I think I could come up with something of this quality of my own (apart from the tracks, which I'd have to loot from a commercial kit), the time it would take to do so is very off-putting. I'll be happy do some modifications, and adding more Grot krew to them. I'll see how these go, but it's tempting to get another set of them... Here's a Barry shot (I can't remember if there's one on the FW site). Grottank_001.jpg And here's a different type of size comparison. Phemie doesn't quite know what to make of her new toys. Grottank_004.jpg
Oddballz

"If you wants to understan' an enemy, you gotta walk a mile in his shoes. Den, if he's still your enemy, at least you're a mile away and he's got no shoes." Plateau, trollish philosopher

jack da greenskin

jack da greenskin

Loota Boy

• Deathskullz
  • 1,223 posts
nice squiggoth, couldve done with more weathering and a more prminent gun IMO, but looks good :)
This is just further proof that none of the 5th Ed Codexes received any play-testing beyond Mat Ward running around the building with a Land Speeder model whilst screaming 'VROOM VROOM'

FREEBOOTA ANTHEM

Bellygrub

Bellygrub

Explosive Kranium

• Deathskullz
  • 620 posts
  • Army Name:Bloodtoofs Badmoon Raiders
Thanks for that Oddballz. I've been trying to make out the odds and ends from ForgeWorlds tiny component shot all week. I'm glad you mentioned the bit about basing them. Do you happen to have a 60mm base laying about you could sit one on? I'm just curious how much overhang there will be for scenic stuff. Seems now I just have to decide on whether I want one unit or two :) I'm also glad the crew is separate. For some reason I was worried that the crewman that FW keeps showing in the "Dalek" dome was attached to it. Good to know I can make a proppa Dalork out of it.

kansuke

kansuke

Grot Orderly

• Boyz
  • 182 posts
They are not exactly cheap. The worst it's that you can't buy them separately and choose exactly the model you want! 2 chassis (and turrets) are truly beautifull, one good and one ugly. One Trak have have only 3 wheels and it's horrible to me. IMHO od course I'm building some grot tank also (and sculpting the crew) so it will be very usefull if you can provvide some measures.

Red 'uns go fasta

Zagursnik

Zagursnik

Loots from da Lootaz

• Freebooterz
  • 2,675 posts
  • Army Name:Orks of da Pink Floyd
Its very tempting to get some of these. As you say they be scratch or kitbashed up but all that detailing just seems tedious. & speaking of detailing..thats some Barry. Talk about detailing..is he reloading his shoota? That you put the tops rounds showing for the new ammo drum is just crazy. I'm sure the 2 brackets that hold the drum place have been added underneath. Gunna hafta loot that idea. :thumbs
"I guess...Grot...you just gotta hold that ol' snazzgun in your hand and it all comes clear to you like it was for me that first time. That's when I knew my one true calling in life.

"And wut's dat Boss?"

"I'm a natural born flashgit kill-joy"

"Ask yourself, this is the age before mechanical weapons. How long does it take to kill 70,000 human beings with swords and spears one at a time? The answer seems to be about 6 hours." Richard Gabriel

Oddballz

Oddballz

He who was Snord

• Nobz
  • 5,167 posts
Bellygrub - here's one sitting on a 60mm base. Incidentally, this is my favourite combination of the components so far.

Grottank.jpg

2 chassis (and turrets) are truly beautifull, one good and one ugly.
One Trak have have only 3 wheels and it's horrible to me.

I thought I didn't like one of them, but you have to realise that the appearance changes a lot when you attach different tracks and fit different turrets. The 3-wheeled track system is fine - none of them have any roadwheels between the front and back ones.

I'm building some grot tank also (and sculpting the crew) so it will be very usefull if you can provvide some measures.

The general dimensions should be apparent from the photo above.

Its very tempting to get some of these. As you say they be scratch or kitbashed up but all that detailing just seems tedious. & speaking of detailing..thats some Barry. Talk about detailing..is he reloading his shoota? That you put the tops rounds showing for the new ammo drum is just crazy. I'm sure the 2 brackets that hold the drum place have been added underneath. Gunna hafta loot that idea. :thumbs

Yep, the brackets are there. Glad you like him - I have a couple of other Shoota Boyz reloading in the mob.
Oddballz

Bellygrub

Bellygrub

Explosive Kranium

• Deathskullz
  • 620 posts
  • Army Name:Bloodtoofs Badmoon Raiders
They're larger then I had thought. Using scenic resin bases would be a bit of a waste it seems. Thanks again Oddballz. :thumbs

I Rosputnik

I Rosputnik

Attack Squig

• Boyz
  • 115 posts
  • Army Name:Death Skulls
Whats the size compared to one of the current killa kans, and what is it like with battlewagon cupolas? (Seeing as Forge World is promoting the fact that they can be combined with other cupolas and turrets.)
DAKKA! DAKKA! DAKKA! DAKKA! DAKKA! DAKKA! DAKKA! DAKKA! DAKKA! DAKKA! DAKKA! DAKKA! DAKKA! DAKKA! DAKKA! DAKKA! DAKKA! DAKKA! DAKKA! DAKKA! DAKKA! DAKKA! DAKKA! DAKKA! DAKKA! DAKKA! DAKKA! DAKKA! DAKKA! DAKKA! DAKKA!

I think da shoota needs a reload...

Oddballz

Oddballz

He who was Snord

• Nobz
  • 5,167 posts

Whats the size compared to one of the current killa kans, and what is it like with battlewagon cupolas? (Seeing as Forge World is promoting the fact that they can be combined with other cupolas and turrets.)

I don't have any Kanz assembled, but they seem a lot bulkier. Here's one with a Battlewagon cupola instead of a turret. It's obviously designed to fit. It makes quite a nice little scout vehicle, although I'd mangle the cupola rather more before using it, as the Grot tanks are quite beaten up looking.

Attached Thumbnails

• Grottank_005.jpg

Oddballz

Guest_Teek_*

Guest_Teek_*
  • Guests
Thank you for the component pictures! These have been tempting me since their release, and seeing the nuts and bolts of the bag definitely answers a few questions I had. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with them! Now to start saving my nickels and dimes...

I Rosputnik

I Rosputnik

Attack Squig

• Boyz
  • 115 posts
  • Army Name:Death Skulls
If these are in the new ork dex in a few years time, I will be having some of these.
DAKKA! DAKKA! DAKKA! DAKKA! DAKKA! DAKKA! DAKKA! DAKKA! DAKKA! DAKKA! DAKKA! DAKKA! DAKKA! DAKKA! DAKKA! DAKKA! DAKKA! DAKKA! DAKKA! DAKKA! DAKKA! DAKKA! DAKKA! DAKKA! DAKKA! DAKKA! DAKKA! DAKKA! DAKKA! DAKKA! DAKKA!

I think da shoota needs a reload...

Guest_Muskie_*

Guest_Muskie_*
  • Guests
Thanks for the pics, love the cat and the Barry. I've been using a Imperial Guardsmen as my Barry on my terrain project. Got that from the Waaagh.

nkelsch

nkelsch

Deliriak

• Boyz
  • 2,573 posts
Is the turret-hole the standard turret hole size? What stock weapons do they come with? They look really cool. And seem pretty decent for the rules in the dredbash list. It is interesting in a Mek army the Fast attacks are the best models in the army. The ability to take 15 grotzookas seems really appealing.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Check out all my orks!: Waaagh 'Az-ard
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

SquigBolts

SquigBolts

wants to be a lil mek

• Boyz
  • 309 posts
  • Army Name:Deathskullz
wow these look awesome! im planning to buy some forgeworld stuff but im saving up at the moment... in the meantime im gonna try to build some from scratch... coulod you put some mesurements up please? eg: tracks- width, length, height. so when i get the fw ones theyll look similar in size (well as similar as ork stuff goes!) :) thanks
ORKY ART
Great, good quality, cheap parts, good for ork conversions at: Ramshackle games

SquigBolts

SquigBolts

wants to be a lil mek

• Boyz
  • 309 posts
  • Army Name:Deathskullz
ohh yeah, and i realy realy realy need a mesurement of the holes where the turrets will go, to make my scratchbuilt ones swappable.
ORKY ART
Great, good quality, cheap parts, good for ork conversions at: Ramshackle games

Oddballz

Oddballz

He who was Snord

• Nobz
  • 5,167 posts

Is the turret-hole the standard turret hole size? What stock weapons do they come with?

The turret ring is about the same diameter is the cupola rings on the Battlewagon. The Grot turret from the Battlewagon fits into it.

You get one each of the weapon options in IA-8 - big shoota, rokkit launcher, skorcha, grotzooka and kustom mega blasta (you'll be able to identify them in the photos above). As the Kommanda's tank gets an extra weapon, that means you'll use all 5, but it would be easy to fit spare weapons from the Kanz spues etc.

wow these look awesome! im planning to buy some forgeworld stuff but im saving up at the moment... in the meantime im gonna try to build some from scratch... coulod you put some mesurements up please? eg: tracks- width, length, height. so when i get the fw ones theyll look similar in size (well as similar as ork stuff goes!) :) thanks

They vary. The hulls are about 60mm long, 30mm high and 20-30mm wide at the base (but usually with a wider, overhanging upper hull). The tracks are about 60mm long, 30mm high at the highest point and 10mm wide. The turrets are about 25mm square and 15mm high. As I said, the photo of the model on the 60mm base should be a good guide anyway. I suggest you wait until you've got some, as you'll want to match the way they're constructed and detailed as well as the dimensions.
Oddballz

jack da greenskin

jack da greenskin

Loota Boy

• Deathskullz
  • 1,223 posts

forge world have a bunch of pics including a kan scale one, (old style though) and using battlewagon cupola bitz.

http://www.forgeworl...GROT-TANKS.html

FREEBOOTA ANTHEM

Warboss Grimek

Warboss Grimek

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,284 posts
  • Army Name:Waaaagh Grimmo, till I come up with something original...
Personally, the price per tank isn't that bad IMO. While it's definately not cheap, considering the amount of work needed to make something like this, texture and all, it would definately be cheaper for someone who works full time to purchase the kit instead of bashing/scratch building something like this... Of course, I've already decided to purchase a set once I get back home from my summer trip, so I'm with the group who feels it's not a bad purchase. Then again, a little thing like this works a bit as a booster shot for some of us cranky old modellers who're getting a bit long in the tooth about the hobby, and IMO, this is where the real value of a FW Kit lay.