Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Scratch Battlewagon

* * * * * 2 votes

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

mo0g

mo0g

Burna Boy

• Boyz
  • 402 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh! mo0g
Haven't posted any projects up here for a while, mostly due to laziness. Well here's my current build, a battlewagon with deffrolla from scratch. Decided a few weeks back that I needed another for an upcoming tournament but don't like having more than 1 vehicle look the same in my army, and as I already have a stock bw it was time to brave my own creation. Of course I borrowed looted a few ideas from GW.

I started out with a rough shell that I could go onto detail:

Posted Image

And started putting a deffrolla together from plastic milk-bottle tops:

Posted Image

The chassis is made from 1.5mm pcard, loosely based on the gw wagon, but it's slightly wider and will be an inch or two longer after I get the rolla attached, and another inch or so taller when I get the tracks and wheels on. Will try and remember to get a scale shot next to my stock bw at some point.

So with a few details added over the past couple of weeks here's where I'm at:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I've built up the passenger platforms at the back. They are currently removable so I can paint the pipes underneath.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Deffrolla may still get some rivets (pins mostly in this case) but is basically done. Struggling working out how to attach it though.
Posted Image

Now onto the tracks. These have eluded me for a while but today I finally worked out a way I could make them. Sadly I ran out of bits after the first track! (Shoot me a PM if you have spares form the bio toxin plant - I will get a trade thread up in the bad moons emporium shortly).
Posted Image

Posted Image

Still not entirely sure but it at least gives a sense of the height the vehicle will get to now.

Cheers
mo0g
mo0g's Badmoons
mo0g's projects - Latest update: Kommandos (April '11)
Big Mek mo0g's Badmoon Blog (external blog)
Scratch Battlewagon - Now painted.
Rokkit Buggies - WIP builds
mo0g gets STOMPY - Optimash Prime Stompa build WIP
Big Mek Challenge VS Morfangdakka - An oldy but a lot of fun! (Lots of broken images, sorry) and the Voting thread. (more broken images...grr)

Other stuff:
mo0g gets tainted - Tzeentch-theme Chaos WIP
mo0g does Necromunda

Burmashave

Burmashave

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 40 posts
You are putting me to shame... This looks really good. What are you using for the Deff rolla?

Rombo

Rombo

Stainless Steel Skull

• Bad Moonz
  • 567 posts
  • Army Name:Orks
I love your passenger platforms, I'll be looting them for sure.
Orks are born green and that makes them proppa, others need to die and rot for a couple weeks. The waaaaagh is the universe's way to make everything proppa

Dreg Gor Ug Urty Dakka's Faktory boyz http://www.the-waaag...showtopic=28584

Fishspit

Fishspit

Stainless Steel Skull

• Boyz
  • 574 posts
  • Army Name:Da 'Ell Raysas
A good solid scratchbuild so far. It's kind of odd that you would copy the GW wagon so closely, but hey, you're the mek :biggrin My one nitpick is that the treads don't look realistic, they hover above the one sprocket thing (I don't know tread lingo) unrealisticlly. Maybe some smaller drive geary things (agian, no clue what anything is called) would finish it up? Nice deffrolla. :cheers
QUOTE (Khestra the Unbeheld @ Jan 26 2011, 10:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Given a firm-enough concept, Abnett could write a shortbread cookie recipe and make it entertaining. Personal tastes may vary, though, not everyone is down with shortbread cookies.

"Yes, yes! Away with the cartoony garnish! These Wolves are so ****ing mean and tough, they are going to ****ing come round Horusís crib and **** him up so ****ing nasty, he wonít be able to ******* without a **** and two sturdy ***** ****. Actually, they are so ****ing ***** and ******* ***** *****, they donít even like being called Space Wolves. THATíS how hard they are!"
-Dan Abnett

Shadow

Shadow

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,417 posts
  • Army Name:Rust Ridge Raidaz
how strong is the trakk? I've tried using those same parts before with varying results, how have you found it? shade all good
Of course all my topics are pic heavy, you know why? because people don't want to open 12 hyperlinks a page! it stands to reason

"The act of converting is not a matter of creating the best weapon ever, its creating the best weapon ever but by using bits and pieces that anyone can use but no one has ever thought use in that way."

- Shadow.

Orxymandiuz

Orxymandiuz

Grot Oiler

• Boyz
  • 167 posts
  • Army Name:Horde GogMagog
I like! Maybe you could mount the deff rolla to the front somewhat encased in a shell/scoop on the front like a snowblower would have. You could even have the "exhaust" coming off the top of the "shell". Something like this: honda_hs928tas_snowblower_200_200.jpg Just a thought. Looking forward to more. O
- No stoppin' what can't be stopped. No killin' what can't be killed.

- What powerful but unrecorded race
Once dwelt in that annihilated place.

Black Bird

Black Bird

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 200 posts
That is looking really good. I can't wait to see how it turns out. In fact, you have got me thinking about a bunch of plasticard I have lying around... hmmm... could be time for me to finally get around to building a battlewagon... :thumbs
Cheers,

Black Bird

mo0g

mo0g

Burna Boy

• Boyz
  • 402 posts
Cheers for the replies.

I really like the idea of have a scoop round the rolla, will have to think about how I can bend the pcard to the right shape, and more exhausts always looks good :D
The trakks are giving me headaches tbh. The wheels inside the tracks are not attached yet, but yes, they are fractionally too small. I'm considering filing off some or all of the spikes on the gears to get them to fit in more snugly and make some more space for a couple of smaller wheels at the top.

I'm happy with how the track sections fit together, they took a little wiggling and trimming but fit nicely and hold tight with a bit of super glue. If anyone has anymore of the bits I used for the track sections then please have a look here, thanks!

Cheers,
mo0g
mo0g's Badmoons
Big Mek Challenge VS Morfangdakka - An oldy but a lot of fun! (Lots of broken images, sorry) and the Voting thread. (more broken images...grr)

Other stuff:
mo0g does Necromunda

mo0g

mo0g

Burna Boy

• Boyz
  • 402 posts
It's been some time, but here's an update. I'm basically done bar the rivits and some detailing in a couple of areas. I've used some resin trakks made by machinator over at warseer (linky).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Because I used the killkannon(and mortar) as an exhaust, I thought it might be fun to magnetise it so I could use it as a Killkannon if I ever need to. It also helps with transporting the model.
Posted Image

This is the deffrolla attachment. It needs a lot of detailing done to it, but I'm stumped, any ideas?
Posted Image

And here's a size comparison with a stock wagon with rolla:
Posted Image
mo0g's Badmoons

Other stuff:
mo0g does Necromunda

Sukigod

Sukigod

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,082 posts
  • Army Name:Red Jack's Waaagh!
Looking good Moog. You just made someone over at Warseer some money with those treads. How many did you end up using in this build? I'm looking at quick tracks for my next few scratchbuilds and these are perfect, just want to get an estimate as to how many sets I would need. I also never noticed how well the lobba fits up against the killkannon - might even be worth a soopa kannon at that size. As for the sides of the deff rolla assembly, armor plating, glyphs (more rivets). I'm assuming the tube arms are already glued into place to the front and aft mounting blocks - if not, maybe some springs and or tubing that's been attached at different points (for continuous oiling while smashing?) similar to the GW one, just beefier? Now on my watch list...

the 1st pip

the 1st pip

Burna Boy

• Boyz
  • 391 posts
  • Army Name:Gorgutz Blud Axe Freebooterz
Its looking really nice, I shall be looting the Rolla for one of my future builds. Take a look at the GW Deffrolla and take some inspiration from that, but lots of random shapes and bits tend to go a long way. How did you build your spiky bitz on the traks?
My current Ork Deffwing project Deffwing
My Ork Album Blood Axes

Orxymandiuz

Orxymandiuz

Grot Oiler

• Boyz
  • 167 posts
  • Army Name:Horde GogMagog
Fantastic build! I think you need more "texture" to break up the pcard in places on the wagon itself (not just the rolla). Textured "spot welded" plates (use bits of the textured pcard you've used in the rest of the build) irregularly placed throughout would suggest hasty battlefield repairs, add thinner "borders" with thin pcard in other places to create some depth to the panels, gylph plates and rivets will help as well. On the rolla you could add hydraulic fluid lines with some wire or thin pcard rod, similar "spot welded" repair plates along the arms to what I've suggested on the wagon would also help (hasty battlefield repair!) break up the clean pcard a bit. Really like the crew compartment on the wagon, what have you used for the grating on the "benches"? Cheers! O.
- No stoppin' what can't be stopped. No killin' what can't be killed.

- What powerful but unrecorded race
Once dwelt in that annihilated place.

Jack5h1t

Jack5h1t

Squigpipes

• Grotz
  • 67 posts
  • Army Name:The Grot Botherers, also known as the Bashie Boyz
Very nice work, I can't wait to see this thing painted. What's the gauze material you used in the passenger compartment?

ukpro

ukpro

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 480 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh Gazbagga

Very nice work, I can't wait to see this thing painted. What's the gauze material you used in the passenger compartment?

Looks like the mesh you get from car body repair kits .. I used it in my Battlefortress build ..

Posted Image

Halfords sells it here in the UK as should any good car parts/auto shop..

moOg I love the build BTW - I am struggling with tracks myself at the moment - going to scratch build them or give up on them - but then again buying them ready made :D

Biv

Biv

Frantik

• Freebooterz
  • 2,005 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh Bivrok!!
Speaking of those great tracks, he's got other great stuff to sell as well:
http://stores.ebay.c...Industry?_rdc=1
Step 1: Collect orks
Step 2: ...
Step 3: Waaaaaaaaagh!

machinator

machinator

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 30 posts
Wow mo0g, the Battlewagon looks awesome! I'm glad the treads worked out for you. Can't wait to see it painted up. I might have to use that in my advertisements...with your permission of course ;)

SquigBolts

SquigBolts

wants to be a lil mek

• Boyz
  • 309 posts
  • Army Name:Deathskullz
Wow! nice build. one thing though, try putting more wires, thin plastic tubes, gubbins here: green_compare.jpg just what i would do :)
ORKY ART
Great, good quality, cheap parts, good for ork conversions at: Ramshackle games

mo0g

mo0g

Burna Boy

• Boyz
  • 402 posts
Thanks for all your comments and tips, I'll post pictures again soon once I've finished the detailing.

Looking good Moog. You just made someone over at Warseer some money with those treads. How many did you end up using in this build? I'm looking at quick tracks for my next few scratchbuilds and these are perfect, just want to get an estimate as to how many sets I would need.

Well I didn't fancy making them all myself, that's for sure (besides, I wouldn't have done such a good job). I used two packs of 40 track sections (1" width) on the battlewagon with a few spare from each pack. There were 4 different style sections so it's easy to avoid repetition.

How did you build your spiky bitz on the traks?

You'd have to ask Machinator, check the link in my last post to his blog on warseer about them.

what have you used for the grating on the "benches"?

What's the gauze material you used in the passenger compartment?

I don't know what it's called sorry, I buy it by the sheet from a local model shop. This particular one has quite a fine mesh so you can't really see what's underneath that well at the moment. I'm hoping if I paint the piping under the platforms more brightly than the platforms themselves that they will show through.

Speaking of those great tracks, he's got other great stuff to sell as well:
http://stores.ebay.c...Industry?_rdc=1

Yea he has some really great stuff on there!

I might have to use that in my advertisements...with your permission of course ;)

Of course, let me get it finished though.

More to come.
mo0g's Badmoons

Other stuff:
mo0g does Necromunda

mo0g

mo0g

Burna Boy

• Boyz
  • 402 posts
I did finish this thing in the end. Here's a quick shot I took of it before it got painted. I'll try and get painted shots up soon.

Posted Image
mo0g's Badmoons

Other stuff:
mo0g does Necromunda

Me not Weedy

Me not Weedy

Weedy

• Deathskullz
  • 2,240 posts
  • Army Name:Not Weedy's Lootin Gitz
How many of the tracks did you purchase to get these done?
Sometimes when I'm alone I pretend I'm a squig...
-silly buck toofed git

Whining aimlessly is totally my hobby.
-silly buck toofed git