Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Why Orcs and Goblins?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

lordmetroid

lordmetroid

Stormboy

• Bad Moonz
  • 1,309 posts
  • Army Name:Pink Skinz tribe, Bad moonz klan
For 40k I am utterly attracted to Orkz, all the fluff of the 40k Orkz appeals to my, they make great machinery, are hybrid psychic fungi and so on, you know the fluff of 40k Orkz I hope. I am about to start playing Warhammer Fantasy as well now and I have looked at the armybook. The Orcs and Goblins doesn't seem to have anything at all in common with the Orkz. Units seems bland, the technology seems very uninteresting and so on. So I am wondering what do you find appealing with the Orcs and Goblins? For Warhammer Fantasy, I seem much more attracted to The Empire or Skryre Skaven(though I would probably model the Skryre Skaven army as 19th century men), even the Dawi Zharr(Chaos Dwarfs(Which enslaves Orcs and Goblins)) seems more appealing than the Orcs and Goblins, which kind of feels wrong as I love my greenskins in 40k and have never played anything but Orkz in 40k. What attracts me to these armies are the rank and file of Empire with men of bravery, flags and great interesting warmachinery and weaponry such a repeater pistols, hochland long rifles, volley guns, the Looney scientist of the Skryre Skaven combined with the large units and the industrial and daemon smithing fluff of the Dawi Zharr.

Mr Squiggee

Mr Squiggee

Attack Squig

• Boyz
  • 114 posts
  • Location:In the Shadow of the Temple of Mir-Anda, Sydney, Ooztralia
  • Army Name:Ork Air
Welllllllll ......... t'orknologee don't exist in the Warhammer World, so the Green Hordes need other common appeal points.

Which, for me, is rampant lunacy and basically being an absolute antithesis of point and click armies.

If you want to win at The Other Game, get Chaos Daemons, Dark Elves or Vampire Counts. The great tragedy of WHFB is that the balance we accept between 40k armies simply doesn't exist, and it is pretty much a given that the strong builds for those armies are well nigh unbeatable in the hands of all but the rawest or most inept.

If, on the other hand, what you want is a challenge and a laugh, go Orcs. And if you want a Real Challenge and Lotsa Laffs, go Gobbos!!! Both armies can be effective - and will inevitably provide heaps of highlights for you and your opponent in basically every game you play - but you have to be right on your game for them to dominate, and be the sort of player flexible & adaptable enough to overcome the inevitable random disruptions (of which Animosity is the most obvious). If you want to seriously improve your gaming ability, play Greenskins.

And I speak as a Blood Axe who goes the Gobbo in WHFB - more specifically, a Night Gobbo!
"Toofy grinz all round, you lot, ole Brikkfist is back!"

Kiour_gr

Kiour_gr

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 10 posts
Orcs have alot of choices. You could build a only goblin army, or a only orc army. You have warmachines, chariots, speed bumps, cheep orcs, expensive orcs, fanatics, giant squigs in various forms. They are quite self distructive and not very reliable depending on what you take. But if you like rolling alot of dice (and you do thats why you are on this forum) then its orks and goblins. People will not play me with my Lizardmen but are always up for a fight against the goblins. The miniatures are just excelent wyvern boar boys ,trolls , black orks, boys, heroes, spyder riders,batle for skull pass, night goblin are top notch plastic miniatures.

Gorkathustra

Gorkathustra

Throws the bomb, not the pin.

• Grotz
  • 4 posts
Like above, orcs have lots and lots of variety. They also have that quirky humor they seem to have lost (imho) in 40k.

big mek tank krusha

big mek tank krusha

Battlewagon Gunner

• Blood Axez
  • 1,820 posts
  • Army Name:da mekforce
figured i'd post this question in this thread as it's on a similar topic: how well do orcs 'n' gobbos fare against uber 'leet unbreakable close combat pwnage armies (yes, i do refer to warriors of chaos)? seriously considering getting them, but i'd need to know i stand a chance against my mate - he just fields loads of warriors and loads of knights with an uber leader on horse guy. really annoying.

-BMTK-

the proppa way to loot a bastion!

mechanical nids in the FBH!

4th Edition Orks in 7th W/D/L: 7/0/3

7th edition Orks W/D/L 4/0/0

GobboBoys

GobboBoys

Throws the bomb, not the pin.

• Grotz
  • 3 posts
  • Army Name:Orcs and Goblins: Da Grim Fangz
Orcs and Goblins do suffer the fact that they don't have black powder and their troops tend to die liek flies. However Orcs and Goblins have some of the best named characters in the game not to mention some of the best magic and the least deadly miscast table. With the 8th ed rules horde armies now have a unique set of rules. More attacks and more shots makeing up for the lack fo quality in attacks. If your starting I don't suguest starting with ORcs and Goblins unless your prepaired to loose. CHaos warriors, Dwarfs, or dare I say High elves are made to introduce people to the game. They give you power, skill, and for starters tend to have the highest win ratio. However much like 40K your gonna have to loose some befor you win some no matter what army you choose and the number one rule pick the one your most attracted to.
" All ritie whos wants ta spin the big ball?? Anyone theirs a Mushroom in it for ya" Night Goblin Boss "Selecting" a fanatic

brutalis

brutalis

Explosive Kranium

• Boyz
  • 596 posts
Being new to o&g and fantasy myself may i ask: Do i need a bit of everything? What im trying to say is , there are tons of units in the armybook and i'm having difficulties picking... How much infantry , calvary, monsters , warmachines, magic etc??

striogi

striogi

Kickin' Grot

• Boyz
  • 137 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh Guzzsnikk

Being new to o&g and fantasy myself may i ask:
Do i need a bit of everything?
What im trying to say is , there are tons of units in the armybook and i'm having difficulties picking...
How much infantry , calvary, monsters , warmachines, magic etc??

newb as well, but it seems to me:

you get blocks of infantry for staying power, and you take monsters and warmachines for their hitting power. You can take magic to either hit a little harder or to shut down the enemy magic. Cavalry for zooming off and taking out the enemy's rear echelons.

my own build is:
Raft of Ngoblins
Raft of Ngoblins
raft of Spider Cav
little bit of warmachines
magic to shut down the enemy.

Fishspit

Fishspit

Stainless Steel Skull

• Boyz
  • 574 posts
  • Army Name:Da 'Ell Raysas
I've personally found Ogre Kingdoms to be more of a parallel to 40k orks than Orcs and goblins. The attitude and playstyle seem to mesh the most, and gnoblars are more like grots than goblins are. I too tried to start orcs (with a "c") and found them lacking.
QUOTE (Khestra the Unbeheld @ Jan 26 2011, 10:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Given a firm-enough concept, Abnett could write a shortbread cookie recipe and make it entertaining. Personal tastes may vary, though, not everyone is down with shortbread cookies.

"Yes, yes! Away with the cartoony garnish! These Wolves are so ****ing mean and tough, they are going to ****ing come round Horusís crib and **** him up so ****ing nasty, he wonít be able to ******* without a **** and two sturdy ***** ****. Actually, they are so ****ing ***** and ******* ***** *****, they donít even like being called Space Wolves. THATíS how hard they are!"
-Dan Abnett

lordmetroid

lordmetroid

Stormboy

• Bad Moonz
  • 1,309 posts
  • Army Name:Pink Skinz tribe, Bad moonz klan
Although I still find Orcs to be relative dull in fantasy compared to Orkz in 40k. I have acquired a taste for the Night Goblins instead so in the end I will not play anything but greenskins. They have lot of character and many crazy and fun units and wargear which really fits the feel of Night Goblins. The only negative about it all is the thought of creating an army with 250 models.

Kludgnok

Kludgnok

Burna Boy

• Goffs
  • 402 posts
  • Army Name:WAAAGH Kludgnok
See my sig: Though to be honest, I have a chaos fantasy army to change up the pace every once in awhile. I still like my Orks and my Orcs. I think it has something to do with the single minded, no need for a reason, bash em for no reason other than it's fun...
Why play Orks you ask?....
Well my friend, its quite simple, I rather enjoy the word 'killy' and decided I wanted to use it more in coversation...