Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

AI and Epic

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Boss Gobbstompa

Boss Gobbstompa

Warbike Boy

• Deathskullz
  • 1,535 posts
  • Army Name:Gobbstompaz Looty Gitz
I was just thinking about whether it would work to add Aeronautica Imperialis to an Epic 40k game for added dimension and scale. Would it be better as a team game, with one team member being the air support and the other being the ground troops, or do you think one player could keep track of all of it?
Nkelsch on the differences between disembarking from open-topped vehicles and closed vehicles.
QUOTE (nkelsch @ Dec 10 2009, 10:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Compare a bunch if drunk rednecks jumping out of the back of a pickup truck VS a bunch of old ladies getting off the bus.

BLAAAGH!!! Gobbstompa (WIP/Magnetizing tutorial)
WAAAGH!!! Gobbstompa (finished models)
The Legend of Gobbstompa (fluff)

Spectrar Ghost

Spectrar Ghost

Snotroom

• Grotz
  • 45 posts
I think the rulesets diverge too much to intertwine them. While the Aircraft rules in Epic could safely be described as "mimimalist", the problem comes from the time scales involved (~30min/turn), and the designer not wanting the air war to overpower/overshadow the ground war the game was meant to describe. I can see replacing the aircraft activations with a mini game of AI, especially where CAPs/Interceptions are involved, but it would add more complexity than is really neccessary to the game, and for little benefit, IMO. The differing weapons rules, effects, and often, loadouts, would be more of a hassle than it would be worth. I would suggest searching Taccoms or the like for any of several alternate sets of aircraft rules designed for Epic: Armageddon.
SG

Epic: Armageddon
Are you a soldier, or are you a general?

Boss Gobbstompa

Boss Gobbstompa

Warbike Boy

• Deathskullz
  • 1,535 posts
  • Army Name:Gobbstompaz Looty Gitz
Good point. Thanks for the heads up on Taccomms. They're currently down, but I'll take a look.
Nkelsch on the differences between disembarking from open-topped vehicles and closed vehicles.
QUOTE (nkelsch @ Dec 10 2009, 10:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Compare a bunch if drunk rednecks jumping out of the back of a pickup truck VS a bunch of old ladies getting off the bus.

BLAAAGH!!! Gobbstompa (WIP/Magnetizing tutorial)
WAAAGH!!! Gobbstompa (finished models)
The Legend of Gobbstompa (fluff)

Spectrar Ghost

Spectrar Ghost

Snotroom

• Grotz
  • 45 posts
Forum software and address were recently changed.

Try this one:

http://www.tacticalw...accmd/index.php
SG

Epic: Armageddon
Are you a soldier, or are you a general?

Leonardork Da Vicious

Leonardork Da Vicious

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 6 posts
I have regularly played AI missions where I have laid out some Epic forces as part of the terrain and to act as objectives for the AI game. This works really well. I think you need to decide what game you are playing. As has been stated, an AI game takes place in a fraction of an epic turn. You could us AI statistics for the flyers in Epic but then you would probably need to use the AI rules to hit as well otherwise the number of dice could get a bit much.