Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

help painting

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

arjbrown

arjbrown

Gnasher (face eater)

• Grotz
  • 84 posts
Does any one have any good ideas for basing epic minis for a winter war ?? Also winter based scenery ?? Will be painting Orks and may be some Beakies ! I have some GW winter flock which looks promising but any advice would be helpfull !! Thanks in advance...

Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 410 posts
  • Army Name:Da Rättlsnaikz
i once picked some very fine sand from a beach somewhere and so far made good use of it. For snow i would mix it with some PVA glue, white paint, and then apply to the base. I admit though that winter flock might give a more realistic feel, but i never bothered to get some, so i have no direct experience with it.

Magus Gar Kan

Magus Gar Kan

Kommando

• Blood Axez
  • 939 posts
  • Army Name:Defgrimz Dakka Boyz
For something that small, perhaps play sand, the kind you get in a toy store then painted white?
Offishol Fishhead Slackjaw Mcgee certified ork Rokka!
GENERATION 2: The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment
"Waaagh! Waaagh! The Greenskins, Oldest Greatest Death Machine..."

Ghudra

Ghudra

telescoping arm

• Boyz
  • 493 posts
I would base with beach sand and then use putty overlay in spots to represent patches of tracked through or partially melted snow. Something like Magic-Sculpt would be best in that it is cheap and you can easily smooth it with water while wet to blend it into the basing better. If you want to show troops on packed snow, skip the sand and just use putty. Paint it white, wash in light blue, rebrush in some pure white highlights & viola! :) I'd avoid anything granular to represent snow in 6mm because it's likely to be too chunky.

arjbrown

arjbrown

Gnasher (face eater)

• Grotz
  • 84 posts
Thanks for the sugestions people will have a go and let ya know how it goes..