Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Hired guns For Ork gangs

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

snakekiller

snakekiller

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 5 posts
  • Army Name:Clan Smashgutz
I have been thinking long and hard about my Ork gang. I want it to have character that is so typical of orks. I have been thinking about using an Ork shaman, an Ork Painboy, and a troll. First the Ork shaman I figured I'd use the Ash waste shaman rules. The only change I'd make is to hire him permanently and let him build Exp. I thought a recruiting cost of 125 teef sounded reasonable. Second, the painboy. I thought it would be cool to hire him like a Mad Doc, but make some changes. first I'd like to recruit him permanently. Here are my thoughts: Give him Ork profile +1 T, -1 I No extra advances. Keep the specials of Capture and Surgery. Fight with own weapons. Cannot buy or use any other weapons or equipment. Here are his gear: 1 Power Klaw (Fist), Medi-pack, Auto-pistol, and Bio-Booster. I think these weapons best describe WYSIWYG on the model. Total recruitment cost 225 teef. Lastly the Troll, I kind of wrote these rules myself. Using the Ogryn body guard, troll from mordheim, Rulebook, and Orks in the hive this is what I came up with: 50 teef to recruit bringing rating of 250. CHARACTERISTICS: In addition 3 advancement per the Ogryn Advance chart M WS BS S T W I A Ld 5 4 1 4 5 3 2 1 6 Special Rules Terror: As per rulebook Stupidity: As per rule book and cannot earn Exp Always Hungry: Instead of paying the recruitment cost after each game troll must be paid with 6 squigs. If not enough can use two Grots instead. I am looking for feedback. I want to know if my costs and abilities seem fair.

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 3,937 posts
  • Army Name:Trotskin'z Revulushun
I am hesitant to reply as I intend to make a few hired guns for Orks myself that compete with some of these (Weirdboy and Painboy in particular, but they will be geared around my own Ork Gang rules), but I'll offer some pointers as you never know how many replies you'll get in this section.

First the Ork shaman I figured I'd use the Ash waste shaman rules. The only change I'd make is to hire him permanently and let him build Exp. I thought a recruiting cost of 125 teef sounded reasonable.

I've always been against the idea of Hired Guns that permanently join and gain Exp. I made some ratling sniper rules simply because the old Ratling Sniper rules used the exp method. It isn't much to figure out a skill/stat system similar to other hired guns.

Second, the painboy. I thought it would be cool to hire him like a Mad Doc, but make some changes. first I'd like to recruit him permanently. Here are my thoughts: Give him Ork profile +1 T, -1 I No extra advances. Keep the specials of Capture and Surgery. Fight with own weapons. Cannot buy or use any other weapons or equipment. Here are his gear: 1 Power Klaw (Fist), Medi-pack, Auto-pistol, and Bio-Booster. I think these weapons best describe WYSIWYG on the model. Total recruitment cost 225 teef.

I disagree. Certainly Power Klaw on Mad Grot Doksnik, but not a normal Mad Doc. You're more likely looking at a pit slave weapon. Personally I'd give the mad doc equipment either a chainsword, or a close combat weapon that inflicts D3 wounds per wounding hit. A power fist is hard to come by for a reason, and it would have to factor horribly in the cost, and bear in mind that recruitment for hired guns is paid after every game, and is not a one off payment like with gangers. Better to make him a tad cheaper by losing that power claw.

Again I would stress skills and advances rather than stat jumps. You're not going to get the same Mad Dok/Painboy each time and that's what random advances represent.

Lastly the Troll, I kind of wrote these rules myself. Using the Ogryn body guard, troll from mordheim, Rulebook, and Orks in the hive this is what I came up with: 50 teef to recruit bringing rating of 250.
CHARACTERISTICS: In addition 3 advancement per the Ogryn Advance chart
M WS BS S T W I A Ld
5 4 1 4 5 3 2 1 6
Special Rules
Terror: As per rulebook
Stupidity: As per rule book and cannot earn Exp
Always Hungry: Instead of paying the recruitment cost after each game troll must be paid with 6 squigs. If not enough can use two Grots instead.

Not sure I like the always hungry rule, otherwise that's better than the other two. Trolls are more fantasy than 40k though, and not only not are they not a sight I've seen in 40k Orks, there's also the fact that Orks really shouldn't have much access to much of anything they can't normally get in much lower quantities in Necromunda.

snakekiller

snakekiller

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 5 posts
Thanks for replying. I would be curious to see how you're going to use the Wierdboy and Painboy. I thought it would be cool to have Ork specific spells. You are right about the troll; it is fantasy. I was attempting to create an Ork Bodyguard for my boss.

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 3,937 posts

Thanks for replying. I would be curious to see how you're going to use the Wierdboy and Painboy. I thought it would be cool to have Ork specific spells.

Well they might not be up for some time. I'm still working on the gang rules, and how the system works for them will dictate the rest of the rules. Worse still, I'm contemplating two separate rulesets (one for 'settled Orks' and one for 'visiting freebootas'). I'm hoping the two will be interplayable, but we'll see. I'm doing the Ork Settlers first, as they will be much more toned down than the Freebootas.

A Weirdboy isn't going to be a hugely powerful character, as Weirdboyz need an awful lot of Waaagh energy to unleash their most potent powers. Either way they have little control over them, so I may have a random system like the one in the Ork Codex at the moment, or a mixture of my own ideas. What I am thinking of having is a Major Waaagh and Minor Waaagh system. Minor Waaagh powers will be easier to use and reliable, whereas major waaagh powers will be more dangerous and unpredictable.

Docs will be extremely disturbing, but nothing like the existing Crazy Doc hired gun.

The Ork Mob ruleset I'm working on will feature credits AND teef, as well as unique skill tables, special rules, their own weapons, and rules with as much fluffy basis and balancing as possible. I'm not a huge fan of Xenos in Necromunda, but unlike some of the SG nutters out there, I do not dismiss the possibility of Orks appearing in it.

There are a number of existing Ork Gang rulesets out there, but I am planning on defeating them all. Hopefully.

You are right about the troll; it is fantasy. I was attempting to create an Ork Bodyguard for my boss.

It would have actually been more fluffy to stick to Ogryns. Orks will hire Ogryns from time to time, especially if they're Freeboota Pirates or Blood Axes. If you're going to use a big burly bodyguard for your Boss, you could just as easily stick to the Ogryn Bodyguard.

snakekiller

snakekiller

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 5 posts
Well I look forward to seeing what you come up with. If you need any help play testing, just let me know. For now I'll just have to use the rules from Ganger 2. :crybaby There is one question I have concerning those rules. I know the Orks follow the Outlaw rules but if they can never trade. Are you able to still roll on the rare trade chart? I'll try the Ogryn bodyguard. I didn't know the two would even mingle. :cheers

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 3,937 posts

Well I look forward to seeing what you come up with. If you need any help play testing, just let me know. For now I'll just have to use the rules from Ganger 2. :crybaby

It's Gang War 1. I'm not going to forget the Gang War Mag that is the toughest damn one to get.

The main rules are sorted really, I just need to finish the gang entries and do the weapons. This is time consuming as I want all Ork weapons, kustom jobs and a Mek 'invention' system for Ork Weapons. In my rules Orks will never use the trading chart either.

There is one question I have concerning those rules. I know the Orks follow the Outlaw rules but if they can never trade. Are you able to still roll on the rare trade chart?

Normal Outlaw Gangs use the Outlaw Trading Chart, which if you are using the new Necromunda Rulebook (**spits**) is located in the Ratskin Gang rules PDF you can download from the GW site. In the Ork Gang rules it clearly states Orks do not trade, so there is no point rolling on the chart. Besides, Orks can forage (or 'search for food' as this ruleset calls it) which although doesn't provide income is necessary to avoid starvation.

It is seldom that you'd afford any of the nice things from the chart anyway.

The logic is that not only would a human avoid trading with an Ork, Orks should be using their own weapons. These rules aren't amazing if I'm honest.

A bigger question would be with these rules, how the hell do you get squigs?

I'll try the Ogryn bodyguard. I didn't know the two would even mingle. :cheers

It's very old school fluff, so I'm not that surprised you've not heard it before. GW hasn't really mentioned Orks that hire human mercenaries in a long while. Blood Axes and Freebootas commonly used human and Ogryn mercenaries, actually I'm fairly sure Ogryns fought for Orks before they fought for umies!

snakekiller

snakekiller

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 5 posts
My bad :blush , I knew it was Gang War 1. I just had a momentary brain fart. :choppa

I can understand umies not tradin wit orks, but they do scavenge the battlefield and I think they would trade among other clans in the wastes. I believe they should use their own weapons too. And I agree with you the current rules are not pretty. But it is what I got to go on right now.

A bigger question would be with these rules, how the hell do you get squigs?

LOL! :lol You're right I wondered that too. I assumed that squigs were the food you foraged for, but It would be great to throw them in as ganger. "GROT RIDIN' SQIGS"