Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New(ish) player looking for constructive criticism

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Copta' Boy

Copta' Boy

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 352 posts
I am a realiativley new player to necromunda, however, I haven't just gone into this blind. I've done some research, read tactical articles and posts on the forum and have put together a list. All I want is some sort of verification that I am on the right lines. With no further ado...

House Delaque

Gang Leader ; Chainsword, Lasgun, Knife
- From what I can see my gang leader is quite underpowered, but there is method to my madness; I intend to get him a plasma pistol as soon as possible (ie. after my first game) His strength 4 should lend him an edge against fresh gangers in close combat.

Heavy ; Heavy Stubber, Autopistol, Knife
- My first heavy, I'm sure the heavy stubber is the way to go, just not sure about the back up, if I should give him one at all.

Heavy ; Flamer, Shotgun + manstopper, Knife
- This guy will carry the flamer until I can get a specilist ganger, or another heavy weapon is just too tempting. Given that the flamer will only get one or two bursts off, I have given him a shotgun, that I am led to believe is one of the best weapons in the early game.

Gangers*5 ; 3*lasgun, 2*shotgun+manstopper, knife
- The meat of the gamg will allow me to collect as much income as possible. Three lasguns gives me a good ranged firebase and the shotguns allow me to kill more efficiently albeit at shorter range.

Juves*3 ; 3*stub gun+dum-dums, knife
- These guys will hopefully evolve quickly and become gangers, until then they can charge suicidaly with their STR4 attacks, trying to gain experience.

Gang total = 985+experience
Stash = 15

So, comments are welcome, I have one other question though, in the absence of a needle rifle will a marksman with lasgun and red-dot/mono-sight make a good sniper?
Na, na na na na na na na badmoons! Na, na na na na na na na badmoons! badmoons, badmoons, badmoons!

ENDAK - every nob deserves a klaw.

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 3,942 posts
  • Army Name:Trotskin'z Revulushun

Gang Leader ; Chainsword, Lasgun, Knife
- From what I can see my gang leader is quite underpowered, but there is method to my madness; I intend to get him a plasma pistol as soon as possible (ie. after my first game) His strength 4 should lend him an edge against fresh gangers in close combat.

Actually I usually run my leader simply with a Bolter, Hand Flamer and occasionally a sword. So I'd hardly call your gang leader underpowered. A plasma pistol is a wise option, but check to see if your gaming buddies are using the advanced rules, because often the exploding weapon rule bites hard on a gang member taking a maximum power shot.

Otherwise this equipment is fine. A gang leader definitely deserves a nice gun of some kind, because that BS4 is a useful commodity you should be exploiting.

Heavy ; Heavy Stubber, Autopistol, Knife
- My first heavy, I'm sure the heavy stubber is the way to go, just not sure about the back up, if I should give him one at all.

The Heavy Stubber is indeed the way to go. So cheap, so reliable, so nasty. It has few equals. Your Heavy isn't going to move much, so I'd suggest taking a longer range backup. Backups are very useful for protecting heavies, and your stubber is unlikely to have closed ground. Although his ammo is fairly reliable, he does often run out eventually. A shotgun or lasgun would be a wiser option. Perhaps swap around the backups for now and then buy a better backup for the flamer later?

Heavy ; Flamer, Shotgun + manstopper, Knife
- This guy will carry the flamer until I can get a specilist ganger, or another heavy weapon is just too tempting. Given that the flamer will only get one or two bursts off, I have given him a shotgun, that I am led to believe is one of the best weapons in the early game.

The shotgun is the best weapon in the game, period. The ability to shoot, disregarding cover bonuses (Scatter Round) is one of the most useful aspects of the game. Not to mention that Shotguns can be equipped to do almost any task you want them to do. On the flamer, it's a fairly decent backup, but if your flamer works well you could probably get away with a pistol for protection. Some people sniff at the amount of shots a flamer gets in Necromunda, but the truth is that one good shot effectively ends your opponents' game, not to mention how amusing models set on fire used to be in the old rules. Flamers are amazing, but the trick is getting in range to use it. But once it's there, it'll do damage.

I run an almost identical Delaque Gang to this, and I usually use the two shotgun gangers plus occasionally the odd juve to babysit the flamer heavy. Their mutual ability to shoot through cover makes them exceptionally useful.

Juves*3 ; 3*stub gun+dum-dums, knife
- These guys will hopefully evolve quickly and become gangers, until then they can charge suicidaly with their STR4 attacks, trying to gain experience.

I don't know about suicidally charge, but your juves are best used advancing cautiously, but helpfully in front of your important gang members, such as your flamer heavy and gang leader. If you are going to do suicidal charges with juves you're better off with auto/laspistols that have a better short range modifier. Stub guns are better used from a safer distance, because of the high (especially with juves) chances of missing. Juves do quickly rise to be good gangers but they will never replace a decent ganger in most cases, unless you get awesome skill/stat increases.

Gang total = 985+experience
Stash = 15

Just a small comment here, but if anything we're mostly interested in your gang rating rather than your gang total - so the number you need should include experience (but exclude all costs in the stash).

So, comments are welcome, I have one other question though, in the absence of a needle rifle will a marksman with lasgun and red-dot/mono-sight make a good sniper?

I would assume so. You could aways pop into the "Welcome To Da Hive" thread pinned at the top, grab my Ratling Sniper Hired Gun rules and see if your buddies will let you use him. He has a decent sniper rifle and a chance of getting the marksman skill.

Otherwise, generally yes, but gunsights are about as rare as a needle rifle anyway. You can't really pick what your gangers will do, but any standard ganger with the marksman rule will make a particularly good sniper. I advise if you do get a ganger with the Marksman skill that you spend the rest of his 'skill advances' getting stealth and/or agility skills - which should make him very useful. Alternatively if you're lucky enough to get vents or tunnels for your territories, you're halfway there. I'm fairly sure you can also infiltrate with the use of a Ratskin Scout (if he gets that skill) and more usefully you can sometimes grab the Vents Territory thanks to the Ratskin's rules.

Copta' Boy

Copta' Boy

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 352 posts
Thanks Dim, really usefull advice. I have changed my leader to have a bolter now, makes better use of his high BS, even if the ammo roll is not so good. I am also going to trade in the auto pistol on the heavy for a shotgun, and eventually man stoppers, which should make him more effective in the long-run. Otherwise the gang is unchanged, may get a chance to post pics later, maybe not. Thanks, Kopta Boy
Na, na na na na na na na badmoons! Na, na na na na na na na badmoons! badmoons, badmoons, badmoons!

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 3,942 posts

Thanks Dim, really usefull advice. I have changed my leader to have a bolter now, makes better use of his high BS, even if the ammo roll is not so good.

One small issue with this, is that some Necromunda players rule that there is no way to 'sling' a two-handed weapon (such as a bolter) to one side to benefit from an extra attack dice - which is why I didn't oppose your Plasma Pistol idea. In a few Necro gaming groups I've been in have had house rules allowing for 'gun straps' so gangers can justify using two combat weapons.

The rules are very contradictory on what can and cannot be done, so it's always wise to check what your gaming group will do, it's even more worrying when they go with the 'RAW' for everything, because the RAW wasn't designed to cover everything and there are a lot of holes.

I am also going to trade in the auto pistol on the heavy for a shotgun, and eventually man stoppers, which should make him more effective in the long-run.

The ammo roll is iffy, but you could also grab the 'Bolt' ammo for the shotgun, it's expensive, but the long range is very useful.

Copta' Boy

Copta' Boy

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 352 posts
Is the bolt ammo actually useful, as it has the same cost as a bolter overall? Presumably it is the way you can switch between ammo on the shotgun that gives it its power, rather than it being cheaper (which it isnt) or better (also not true). Thank, Kopta Boy

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 3,942 posts

Is the bolt ammo actually useful, as it has the same cost as a bolter overall? Presumably it is the way you can switch between ammo on the shotgun that gives it its power, rather than it being cheaper (which it isnt) or better (also not true).

Thank, Kopta Boy

Well Bolt Ammo is costly, but the main weakness of the Shotgun is the limited range, Bolt ammo is costly because it plugs this weakness, with a strength 4 shot. Bolt isn't something you should buy immediately, but it can be a useful edition.

Generally I find that shotguns necessarily need Manstopper and the Scatter Shot they come with. The others are costly and exotic, but fairly useful additions if you can spare the cash. Especially as you plan on giving a shotgun to your Heavy Stubber, as he isn't going to be incredibly close to the enemy gang in a heated fire fight. Saying that, your Heavy can make for better cover in a turn following the loss of his Stubber ammo, so it isn't necessarily a bad thing, unless there is no cover in reach.

The issue with shotguns is always the loss of all ammo on a failed ammo roll. The risk run with Bolt is often not worth it, but the main advantage is indeed the variety of ammo types available. However you say that the ammo is not better, well not in the Bolt case, but the Shotgun has a lot of amazing ammo.

There is something to bear in mind though, not all gangs have access to Boltguns immediately, and taking a whole boltgun is costly and risky. The Shotgun on the other hand can pop off one or two Bolt Shots and switch to something more reliable for the rest of the game. You will most likely find the 18" range quite limiting sometimes, so believe me, the bolt ammo starts to look interesting after a few games of being perilously out of range when you needed to take a shot.

Copta' Boy

Copta' Boy

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 352 posts
Thanks once more Dim, I will indeed be erring towards bolt ammo for my shotguns. If I ever get armourer or a reload, bolts can be quickly added to a shotgun, rather than buying a new weapon and will also get the benefits of scatter shot. Thanks, Kopta Boy