Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Am I the only one who thinks DOW2 is far inferior to DOW1?

21 replies to this topic

Uzrug Slasha

Uzrug Slasha

Tankbusta Boy

• Goffz
  • 430 posts
  • Army Name:Da Deth Dealaz
I mean, I'll start with just the campaign. Okay, in the latest and greatest of DOW, you played non-linear maps that were full of aweseom battles and suprises. DOW Dark Crusade was arguably one of my favorite RTSs of all time. The battles became huge, raging, epic conflicts with millions dead on each side with huge numbers of units to pick from. I mean the best upgrade of all was when the orks could purchase free slugga boyz. It was incredible! The battles were MASSIVE! Now I feel like its all more toned down. Like, small skirmishes between units as opposed to the giant clashes of armies. Anyone else feel this way?
-Uzrug Slasha-
"Fear da GREEN tide!"

"If broot force doezen't solve ya problem, ya ain't usin' enuff!"

"We iz more den just Orks. We iz GOFFZ!"

Melissia

Melissia

Mimic Squig

• Grotz
  • 93 posts
  • Army Name:Gozrun's Gitsmashaz
No, you aren't, but you are wrong (remember that the definition is entirelly subjective :P ). Yes, it's toned down in size, but in the end the gameplay itself is better. Fewer pathing issues, melee doesn't entirelly suck against a good player with shooting units, vehicles can't be whittled down by lasguns or whatever, and you don't have to do any base management, you focus on the battle itself instead. The fluff of DoW2 is also bettter-- Orks are no longer a comical joke faction which can't be taken seriously, they're brutal beasts with an insane love of war. panzee aren't just wimpy little space elves, they're more along the lines of mystical and deadly ninjas And so on. Nob Squads are probably the toughest and deadliest squads in the game, and burnaz count as power weapons in close combat, enhancing the damage of the boyz given it especially against certain heavy armor units. And there are Kommandoz and an awesome kommando nob-- who is the best infiltrater in the game, because of his sneaky kit upgrade that causes him to not waste energy while he's infiltrated. THe campaign is also infinitely better than DoW1's, and there is an Ork specific campaign in the works, likely to be released sometime in july (although this is just guesstimation based on what they have told us). The game isn't perfect, but I think it's a helluvalot better than DoW1. The only thing that DoW1 has better than DoW2 is the fact that it has more factions to play.
Boyz, I like war. Boyz, I like war. Boyz, I LOVE war! I love burnin', I love goin' fasta. I love attackin', I love defendin'. I love sieges, breakin' through walls, I love goin' back ta get more boyz, I love killin' what's left and goin' off fer a new fight. In da fields, da trenches, da plainz, da snow, da desert, da boats, da fightabommas, da mud, da swamp! I love each an' every kinda war orks can think of in dis galaxy! I love da roar of kannonz as dey blow all da 'umie gits away at once, and their bodies fly aroun' in da air till dey crash in peices on da ground! I love it when our wagons, with their crusha ramz, clashes with a 'umie tank! And da gitz jump out o' da tanks only ta be torn apart by our shootaz! I love seein' our boyz crash into da 'umie lines with choppaz ready! I remember da little runts choppin' their first kill up real nice cause dey wanna make sure it don' get up. I like seein' runnin' gits gunned down, and da wunz who give up wit 'em. And when da 'umie gits get brave, an' run at us screamin to da top o their puny lungs! I remember da roks droppin' on armageddon! I loves it when da 'umies send wave afta wave of deir boyz into da fight! An' when da camp dey wuz supposed ta protect is overran and dey's runtier wunz become squigfood! I love it when da Panzees and Fish'eads get scared, an' dey crawl around like squigs to be stomped on! When da bony gits get smashed again an' again!

Boyz! What I want is a war waged like Gork an' Mork demselves were leadin' it! GIVE ME THIS WAR! GIMME A WAAAGH!!

Toastee

Toastee

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 26 posts
I also have to agree on the point that Melissia makes about the orks in DoW2, they are less comical and more of a massive, brute strength fighting force. To me, DoW2, while toned down in terms of the battles played out, has a much better, stronger, more serious feel to its games, as well as its story. (Apart from the annoying voice of that damn Sniper scout vetern dude. >.< I hate him with all my soul.)

Boss Gorthank

Boss Gorthank

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 56 posts
  • Army Name:Gorthank's Boardin' Boyz
DoW2 left me with a generally bad impression. Although pathfinding and some other algorithms may be better written, the scale utterly sucks (one man Devastator squads? Are you serious?) and the gameplay is not that appealing to me. While DoW1 had its problems, there are more than enough mods that deal with it, TTRU being only one of them. By the way by far the best mod in my opinion is DoW:40k, which is a tabletop roundup for 5th edition.

Kane

Kane

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 32 posts
  • Army Name:Bad Sunz
It took me a few games to really get the flow, but now that I have a better sense of the scale of the game (skirmish) I do enjoy it. Its a much different experience than the original, though, for sure. I like it a lot, though!

shipwreck

shipwreck

Speckled Bloodshade Fungus

• Grotz
  • 23 posts
  • Army Name:Shipprekkaz
I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about DoW2 right now. It's all a bit more than I can manage, I must admit. I'll have to get used to fighting off so many fronts with such a small force. I will say one thing, though; the voice acting for Orks in DoW1 is wayyyy better.

Nazbag

Nazbag

Gyro Stabilised Monowheel

• Boyz
  • 538 posts
  • Army Name:Nazbags New Boyz
I am a big fan of DoW2 the game play is much more intuitive, and fluid, with army's playing much more closely to the way they do in 40K. I first played it against a friend in skirmish mode using Nids, with no experience of the game I used them as I would in 40K and wasn't disappointed. Since getting the game I have found it to be very enjoyable. The isue of game scale is not a problem as no computer game can mathc a table top wargame for scale or detail, so I'd rather they worked on game play than try to create apocalypse sized battles when we have a perfectly good way to play those as things are.

For  Laser Cut Terrain, Bases and accessories go toWar Games Tournaments

omgitsduane

omgitsduane

• Boyz
  • 550 posts
  • Army Name:Deffwing
I haven't played much of dow2 and believe me I am totally blown away by the graphics but for even a lover of RTS games in general it is just too hard me to just pick up and go, without details on what does what and a way to work out unit effectivenesses quickly its way too different from dow for me to get used to personally. and it seems to focus around smaller armies, I liked my giant squads of orks or Beakies fighting against other huge squads. So to me at least in this light, I have to say I do like the original series more. P.S. also removing making an actual base takes away a lot of the strategy I think, EVEN COH had bases, I don't see the sudden need to change this honestly.

Nachgal

Nachgal

Loota Boy

• Boyz
  • 1,191 posts
DoW 2 clearly looks a lot better, and it is a bit easier to get into, but after playing for a while I found it to be a bit too simplistic. The same strategy is used over and over and over again, without a great deal of variation. DoW 1 is not a perfect game, but I found it to be better from a pure flexibility and strategy point of view. As for the campaign, the DoW 2 campaign started of being kinda fun, but it quickly became tedious and boring. I was never a big fan of the map campaigns in Dark crusade or Soulstorm, but the original campaigns (DoW and DoW winter assault) were both really nice. I have uninstalled DoW 2, but DoW 1 still remains on my HD. I simply found it to be a better game.
Eldrad killcount: 1

Warboss Raptor

Warboss Raptor

Throws the bomb, not the pin.

• Grotz
  • 4 posts
  • Army Name:Raptor's Boyz
I liked Dawn of War one better. I really think it falls down to a matter of taste. The lack of huge battles in DoW2 can be a killer for some. Garrisoning buildings is a nice touch, but at the same time there's not as many units. It's a lot of trading off between two tastes. (Though the fact Tyranid had no Genestealers was a killer for me.) Admittedly, I enjoyed parking my Wartrukks and Loota Tanks in front of the enemy base and watch them feebly throw whatever they had at what was essentially a mobile wall of bullets and armor while I took the rest of the map. At the same time I love watching the sheer scale of a DoW1 battle and watching the ground turn green and move. Heck, I found myself looking for mods to raise the unit cap MORE. Anywho, It's all taste. I think they're both good in their own ways, almost like two games shooting for different goals. One shooting for massive scope warfare while one focused on more intense small squad combat. I'm in the same position as Nachgal, my DoW1 is still on and I still play it regularly, while DoW2 is uninstalled.

omgitsduane

omgitsduane

• Boyz
  • 550 posts
  • Army Name:Deffwing
I miss the base management... every single great RTS, even the COH series had a base... Being able to tell what an enemy is rushing for because of his build is a huge part of the RTS cycle for an aggressive player like me and of all the times I've played dow2 I haven't got more than a few minutes in without being squashed as I have no idea how useful my units are against what and all that nonsense... the staple of all my favourite games. When I seen the previews of dow2 and against starcraft 2 (a game that I used to play billions of games on as a kid and still do occasionally) I put my money on dow2. It was made faster, looks about a billion times better and got ready for production while starcraft is continually held back and is set for release now sometime in 2010 when I think most will care to even think about it... But as I stated above, actually playing dow2 left a sour taste in my mouth that has really put me off the whole idea and I doubt I'd ever find any enjoyment. And the fact that our ork squads get barely past 5 men units whats the good in that? everyone knows we need squads of 10+ to get the job done. /rant P.S. I just realised I mirrored my first rant but I think I have a few more points so let it fly.

BigMek

BigMek

'Ead Graft

• Deathskullz
  • 712 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh! Tankchewa
I personally love Dow2 and especially because they went a different route than the others, the squad management is great and fun and the campaign is without equal. Now I haven't tried multiplayer games against other players yet but even against the computer I find it fun. We've had four games now with the base management and large armies, it was time for something new and fresh, I would have been dissapointed if DoW2 would have been DoW1 with better graprhics and a new campaign, I really would. I can't wait to see what the future holds for DoW2, think we'll have some great expansions like we got for DoW1.
I like to loot it loot it

The rulebook also doesn't say anything about beating people like this with their own army case. So, technically...

Nozeminer - In the "best cheat ever" thread.

__ALEX__

__ALEX__

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 34 posts
I haven't got DOW2 so can't comment but love DOW1, I love playing massive games on it (using mods to increase army limits of course).

By the way by far the best mod in my opinion is DoW:40k, which is a tabletop roundup for 5th edition.

Which mod is that? I'm currently playing Firestorm over Kronus which is AWESOME - it brings everything into line with 5th edition (the Orks have pretty much every unit as in the book), are we talking about the same mod here?

Klawgut

Klawgut

the ginger haired squig

• Boyz
  • 437 posts
  • Army Name:Klawgut IronToofs tooflords
DoW 2 has a few things going for it. the story line is more focused, the characters are better set out, the factions are better represented.... However, most ppl bought DoW 2 thinking that it would be DoW1 but with new maps and new units and maybe a couple of new armies thrown in. This was always going to lead to instant unhappiness. Imho there are too many differences from DoW1 to DoW2, there should have been a more gentle change. why could they not have incorperated the DoW2 style fights into a DoW1 style battle system so you could play massive battles and skirmishes. I used to use a mod called Military Masters Manifest which took away the squad and vehicle cap. How awsome to have thousands of boys in trukks backed up by a couple of sqiggoths taking on the other 7 players on the map and actually standing a chance of winning!!!
"DAKKA DA CHOPPY STUFF AND CHOPPA DA DAKKA-IE STUFF!! WAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!" Warboss Klawgut

Praetorians
BTSWA

Grizlob da Great

Grizlob da Great

Speckled Bloodshade Fungus

• Grotz
  • 18 posts
  • Army Name:Grizlobs Boyz
im pretty much gonna second nachgal on this, i dont rate DoW2 at all, where as DoW is pretty decent. Now the CoH games they are awsome

Borrok

Borrok

Kickin' Grot

• Boyz
  • 138 posts
As much as I enjoy DoW2, I do feel that Dark Crusade was the high point of the series. Everything felt balanced mostly, the campaign is pretty fun, and the new units really fill in some gaps (think Flash gits make good anti-tank infantry, and just prefer them to tank busta's.... also beakie grey knights *drool*)
A grape on a stik is not a rokkit launcher. - Feral Ork Weaponry 101

big mek tank krusha

big mek tank krusha

Dreadnought Pilot

• Blood Axez
  • 1,874 posts
  • Army Name:da mekforce
i think it's really a different type of game, therefore it's all down to preference. in DOW1 you could just build a load of chaos raptors, bounce over to the nearest base, ignore the enemies and just attack the stronghold, destroy it and win. for the little that i've played on DOW2 it seems more tactical and there's less going on, so battle sequences seem pretty epic as you can watch it all. but all in all it's like saying that apocalypse games are by far better than small skirmishes. only that you're saying that the apocalypse games allow you to shoot through buildings and vehicles, and take out a monolith with massed lasgun fire.

-BMTK-

the proppa way to loot a bastion!

mechanical nids in the FBH!

4th Edition Orks in 7th W/D/L: 7/0/3

7th edition Orks W/D/L 4/0/0

Borrok

Borrok

Kickin' Grot

• Boyz
  • 138 posts

and take out a monolith with massed lasgun fire.

Ah cmon DoW wouldnt be the same without Angry Flashlight spam from our oomie pals.
A grape on a stik is not a rokkit launcher. - Feral Ork Weaponry 101

jake_falky

jake_falky

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 29 posts
  • Army Name:Da Green Snots
yeah i think the game play of DOW2 compaired to DOW1 says it all, as i have said you my mate (who love warhammer 40k) DOW1 is for the players and in the massive battles and just a shit load of units fighting in a massive mess as compared to DOW2 which is more of a RTS, as in game play, flows alot better. anyway thats my opinion and i like both the games, i just like the style for a RTS better in DOW2 rather than DOW1.
Sorry to all these posts but you know, its cause i want in on the PAINT COMP
Paintbrush 2010 kill count:
10 Grots (thx to the grot comp)

Gorskragga

Gorskragga

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 6 posts
  • Army Name:Rood Boyz
I Think it's apples and Oranges really. Dawn of War was a great series, especially Dark Crusade. as an RTS I think it did wonders to really translate the feel of a Warhammer 40K campaign for the dominance of a planet. Being able to add wargear to your HQ unit and gain bonuses depending on which zones you had conquered was a brilliant move. On the other hand there really wasn't much story to speak of, sure you were playing as faction X fighting for Kronus and so on and so forth but there was little to no Drama or development. Dawn of War II placed a stronger emphasis on story, and to it's credit the story it told was very engaging. Unfortunately in the tradeoff it lost a lot of the epic feel of the previous games. Sure there was a bit of strategy to be found in making sure the Tyranid infestation didn't get too high or that the Orks, panzee or Chaos Beakies didn't take back certain strategic points but there just wasn't the same feel of conquest or real advancement. Rise of Chaos added some nice elements with it's corruption/purity system but it still came up short. It may seem silly but my biggest complaint about DoW II is the fact that there were no other playable factions in the main story. In my mind if they were going to go for a more Action RPG than traditional RTS they should have taken a page from Warcraft III and had one linear story that stretched across multiple factions, at least then you wouldn't be completely shoehorned into playing the Blood Ravens through the whole game.

Reply to this topic