Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

In the works - 40k Skirmish!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Mordheimer

Mordheimer

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 10 posts
  • Army Name:The White Waaagh!
Hello everyone! In several circles I'm know as The Mordheimer, creator of www.mordheimer.com. To make a VERY long story short, I moved to Florida and I met a good friend of mine and Mod of the old SG forums... DaBank. We got together and for some crazy reason we started developing a new skirmish game based on the 40k Universe.

It is NOT Mordheim-in-Space, nor 5th Edition Necromunda, nor Updated Kill-Team, nor Gorkamorka v2.0... yet, its a little of all that. We managed to pull our extensive experience in skirmish, and started working on a new 40k skirmish. We have been working on it since August 2008; the manual right now has over 170 pages... it has everything you would need to play; from newbie rules (what are attributes) to veteran rules (Scenarios and much more!) If you play Mordheim, you have 85% of the concept down. A Squad (warband) with Officers (Heroes) and Recruits (Henchmen) fighting against each other. Every player is their own 'hero'... unlike Kill-Team that one of the players is always short-handed.

That is where the similarities end. Unlike other SG products, our skirmish is not set in a particular place in the Universe. You can use it in a Hive World or a Space Ship... you could create a Mad Max type game (once the vehicles rules are out) or go all-out Jurassic Park. It can be its own Campaign, or used as a prelude for a 40k Campaign... which could advance to Apocalypse levels. The choice is YOURS... not the rules! Unlike other attempts to scale down 40k, we are NOT trying to make a game about 40k-with-fewer-models. Everything is balanced for skirmish level... and we had to design to the appropriate scale.

We have made little changes that accelerate the game (in a positive way) like simplifying some rules... like armor (which suck in Mordheim) and ammo (we do not like Necromunda's jamming as it slows the game.) We use the 40k concept of Armor, Cover or Invulnerable Saves (player's choice)... this makes combat more survivable... but weapons are also a little more deadlier! We use Grenades... they are S3 and may scatter, so they are a gamble rather than a kill-all weapon... they are so much fun! We are far from finished... at the moment the base rules are going Beta 3 testing (98% done!) and 'umies, the Orks (yes... ORKS!) and Imperial Renegade Squads are done (Beta 3 testing). We are working on panzee and other groups... on the works are some advanced optional rules. Each Squad brings unique skills, weapons, armor, wargear and style. Even players with the same Squad Type would have different Squads, as they choose different avenues of development.

Our play-testing groups are scattered around the globe (England, Germany, Ireland, USA, etc) and I would like to know if anyone has a STABLE group who would like to join the play-testing. We are currently in CLOSED Beta Testing, but we could use some good players! We have some VERY active groups, and feedback is appreciated. BTW... this is a work by FANS for FANS! We will release it to the public (when we are ready) for FREE... never receiving payment NOR donations (spend your money at your local store and get some models for YOURSELF!). The requirements for play-testing are not difficult... but you need to have a commitment to play weekly and let us know what you find (we post on our private group daily.) We don't care if you have the correct models, as long as you commit to test. The rules (so far are pretty solid) and there is minimal room for change (what can you expect after 10 months of work!)... but the new Squads need to be tested to the breaking (CHEESE!) point.

If you have people to play... post here how many players you ACTIVELY play and submit links to your models photos. Photos are not necessary, but I like pictures! :P

The Mordheimer
The Mordheimer
Support Bacteria; it is the ONLY culture some people have!

Get your copy of the fan-based 40k-Skirmish; Death Squads.

Grubsnikk

Grubsnikk

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 315 posts
  • Army Name:Kreepin' Deff
Sounds interresting, especially for us that struggles to finish big armies, and I DO like the slight RP aspect of it...
FEELD-MARSHULL GRUBSNIKK
KOMMANDA OV DA KREEPIN' DEFF BLOOD AXES

LICHTENAUER FOR PRESIDENT!

quote: 'I like the variation on head you get plus the FB box has a nob sprue' jackdoud
quote: 'Then it isn't da waaagh's issue, we don't get ninja-lawyer'd and everyone lives happily ever after. Even the bunnies.' Blakkreaper
quote: 'If an ordered list of thread links isn't enough for you to find something then give up now and take up embroidery. cheers.gif' jackdoud

mudboy

mudboy

Throws the bomb, not the pin.

• Grotz
  • 3 posts
  • Army Name:None yet
Me and four other guys play Mordheim on a regular basis(once a week). I'm writing new scenarios for the next campaign and keeping track of the warbands progress. We have been talking about how 40k would work in the Mordheim setting and where quite keen on the idea, but have never gotten anything down on paper.

We would love to test your rules and suply feedback on the rules and (warband?) lists.

If you would want us in our test-team please feel free to email me at mbroslund@gmail.com

Since you love photos, here are some mini's i made for Necromunda but never used.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

http://s303.photobuc...nn123/gokkesok/

btw. I apologise for any miss-spelling, english is not my primary language.

Mordheimer

Mordheimer

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 10 posts
Cool models! :thumbs As I have replied to you... welcome to the Play Testing Team!
The Mordheimer

Harkon Greywolf

Harkon Greywolf

Loota Boy

• Boyz
  • 1,243 posts
Please forgive my ignorance, but aren't you re-inventing the wheel somewhat here? I look forward to the outcome but it does seem to me to be a little duplicating of previous works? HG

Da Bank

Da Bank

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 8 posts
@Harkon How is this reinventing the wheel? Is there something out there is that exactly indentical to what we have done? Nothing I have seen. Are there many similiar projects that have been done? Yes, but I have not seen any that have done what we have accomplished. With that I do fully understand your concern as there have been many attempts at more skirmish level of the 40K universe but they lacked balance or just not what I see the game should be. There are several on Dakka forum and it is not hard to find more but they have "mostly" just pulled 40K stats straight into an RPG game and that does no allow for a lot of growth. I have read over them over time and only WIA is the closet I have seen. We found them a few months after we started. They did a good job but don't have a complete rulebook in one location.

Mordheimer

Mordheimer

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 10 posts
I would have to agree with DaBank. As we are submerged DEEP in the 40k Skirmish lagoon, we have seen several attempts to pull this trick off. By no means I want to minimize other people's efforts... I admire, personally, World In Arms (WiA) and I consider it the Grandfather of modern 40k Skirmishes... Necromunda being the Primarch. The problem that I have found is that Necromunda (while fun and all) is setup in a Hive. The attempts to move it out fall short, just as the efforts to pull Mordheim out of the City of the Damned. WiA created a new setting (just like Lustria or Khemri) that happens to be in the 'future'... Just like Lustria is Mordheim-in-the-Jungle, WiA is Mordheim-in-Space. There is NOTHING wrong with that... it is not what we wanted. Our vision for game is to capture a rare point in time... at ANY place... in which events start to unfold. People who play 40k tend to migrate to bigger and bigger games... eventually to Apocalypse. Our point is to 'create' the events that would lead towards something big, regardless where the time and location. For example, our current play-test campaign takes players into the initial journey of the fall of an Imperial planet. Few Orks landed in the planet and got trapped underground... after a century some have managed to surface and are preparing for Waaagh!... the 'umies are send to the area to see what happened to the automated Manofactoriums... the Imperial Renegades are fed up with the government abuse (specially after the big earthquake) and want to 'change' the vice-governor (while remain in the Imperium).... the panzee Farseers divined that the planet will lead towards the destruction of their Craftworld and need to prepare the planet for either conquest or destruction. You can EASILY do this with armies in 40k... but we want to have a REAL story and see our 'heroes' grow in power. Our game allows for this. No other has. Furthermore, WiA suffers (IMHO) from certain unbalances... trying to migrate 40k items to fantasy would not work. Many items were migrated, and thus not work. We have taken care of adapting items to make sure that while balanced, they represent their true power as seen in 40k. We are including many other elements (from other SG lines as well as original concepts) that allow players to enjoy the game as big or as small as they want to. For example, we will grant the opportunity to fight underground or simulate ship-to-ship boarding. No other 40k skirmish has even dared to venture here. Finally, we are providing not only ALL rules in ONE manual, but we will provide LOTS of other goodies. No more looking in multiple manuals & references. While I would NEVER dare to imply that we are the first to develop a 40k skirmish, I can guarantee that our attempt will feel like the next evolution of any 40k skirmishes you may ever seen... and that is not reinventing the wheel, but replacing it with a Hover Disk!
The Mordheimer

geekymike

geekymike

Snotroom

• Grotz
  • 44 posts
  • Army Name:adept'ork mekanik
any word on how this is going???

Da Bank

Da Bank

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 8 posts
It is coming along very well. The rulebook is nearly comple. We just finished our Beta campaign and things have been noted at what to look at. In all it is almost ready. I fixed a few things that needed spelled out and will be lower a few point costs as after 9 games a few things were out of reach. This was to keep it balanced and not allow all the "big" weapons right out of the gate. We have four squads: panzee, Death Korp, 'umies, Imperial Renegades and Orks. We are working on fish'ead and Kroot right now. One of the people helping me on the fish'ead is from this forum. This is not 40K pulled directly but follows a Mordheim and Necromunda approach to models and characteristic increases. I have plenty of people who want to look at it but what I need is people to get a gaming group and run 5 games or so to make sure everything is in line.

Da Bank

Da Bank

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 8 posts
Thanks to those who have PMed. I am really impressed with the group of interested people. Don't be afraid to PM again if I don't answer a question on the forum quickly.

Da Bank

Da Bank

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 8 posts
Death Squads is a true 40K Skirmish game that is a where Necromunda, Gorka Morka and Space Hulk left off.

http://www.deathsqua...e.com/forum.htm

There are a few people on this site who have been working with us on it and we have got a really sound Skirmish Game. If you have played Mordheim and Necromunda you will easily recognize the gaming mechanics.

It will involve almost all the 40k Races.

If you are interest please email, who you are and why you are interested in it and do have a gaming group.

death-squads-game@googlegroups.com

Da Bank

Da Bank

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 8 posts
We had a few people check out our group lately from this forum and that is great! It is a great game and offers you a good chance to do some converting.

Mordheimer

Mordheimer

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 10 posts
Just to let you know... the new rules have been released! TLRB v0.4.4. Come to the forum at www.DeathSquadsGame.com to get them! :D ENJOY!
The Mordheimer

Mordheimer

Mordheimer

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 10 posts
WOW! Hehehehe... Just to let you know... the newER rules have been released! TLRB v0.5.1. Come to the forum at www.DeathSquadsGame.com to get them! :D

The Ork Trash-Kan has been streamlined.... WAAAGH! ENJOY!
The Mordheimer

Mordheimer

Mordheimer

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 10 posts
Great news, friends... TLRB v0.6.0 has been unleashed. Among the many updates...

- NEW Chaos Cultist Squad
- NEW Kroot Mercenary Squad
- REVISED Orks (new weapons, better Trash-Kan!)
- REVISED Scenarios

... and much more! Stop by www.DeathSquadsGame.com and download the FREE manual.

Enjoy!

PS: Sorry for the Pseudo Thread Necromancy, but I could not find a nice place to put this.
The Mordheimer

Dmitri

Dmitri

Juicy Squig

• Grotz
  • 62 posts
  • Army Name:Boss Rotgutz's Speed Freekz
Me and my group Headwound Games are ready to do what we can.
"It's only true love when you both play orks together" - Girlfriend