Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Assault on Black Reach Painting Contest

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
224 replies to this topic

Poll: Participation (140 member(s) have cast votes)

I am going to....

1. Enter a Nob at the-waaagh. (67 votes [47.86%])

Percentage of vote: 47.86%

2. Enter a termie at the B&C (15 votes [10.71%])

Percentage of vote: 10.71%

3. sit on my ass and not participate in the contest. (58 votes [41.43%])

Percentage of vote: 41.43%

Vote

Kaptun Krum

Kaptun Krum

Arbork Kaptun

• Bosses
  • 6,145 posts
  • Army Name:Da Arborkz

Un-yowch? Cheers bosses.

Here's your bandaid for you gaping head wound. :lol
Arborkz on Patrol
Kaptun Krum on Patrol!!

Agatheron

Agatheron

Blue Thunda Ace

• Nobz
  • 6,555 posts
  • Army Name:Da Blue Thunda Speed Freeks

are scratch-build bases okay.....

something like this (just on a smaller scale)

this base is plastic and putty only (okay, and a beaky helmet, and a lasgun)

everything that is either HQ or Nob in my army will be placed on such a base....

I'm going to say no on this one. As one who prefers to mount my Nobz on 40mm bases, I feel your pain... but basic model, no conversions means that the terminator remains on a 40mm base, and the nob on a 28mm base. My own entry is likely to be a nob, which I will mount on a 28mm basic base for the contest, and then transfer to a 40mm scenic base once the contest is over.

And yes, this is a PK swipe :)
______Agatheron \_______
--Remember, long, uncontrolled bursts,
and indiscriminate target selection.
____________________________/

http://chaplainsbrush.wordpress.com/

Muskie

Muskie

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 236 posts
  • Army Name:Waarrgh Musk
Count me in. I'm a member of both boards. Traditionally the beakies in the box set get converted to Chaos so since no conversions are allowed I'm thinking nob. I'm actually pretty good at painting green and I might do a real one of kind skin tone for this one, other that I'm thinking flames so I guess Evil Sunz. I've painted up a couple hundred green skinz so I got cred. The only thing I need to do is sacrifice what little painting time I have and of course acquire the model... I think I'll probably limit the time I spend on the model to 10-12 hours, maybe even try to finish it in a single weekend. Don't really care if I win, as long as my mini looks unique. Extra snazzy...
My more famous army is the Diseased Sons. My new hobby blog has pics of green skins old and new if you dig a little.

Magus Gar Kan

Magus Gar Kan

Kommando

• Blood Axez
  • 969 posts
  • Army Name:Defgrimz Dakka Boyz
I am so in. I have the nob from white dwarf, and it would be nice to do a decent paintjob, rather than the bulk painting I've been doing on my boyz. This is a great contest Idea too, pure skill in painting (I am soo not winning, but it will be fun), rather than conversion + paint. Nice and speedy.
Offishol Fishhead Slackjaw Mcgee certified ork Rokka!
GENERATION 2: The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment
"Waaagh! Waaagh! The Greenskins, Oldest Greatest Death Machine..."

Warboss Grimek

Warboss Grimek

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,284 posts
  • Army Name:Waaaagh Grimmo, till I come up with something original...

Posted Image

See, no greenstuff required at his right arm at all .... The gap around my Nob's neck needs quite some greenstuff though. ;)

First note, nice model, but I think the claw should probably sit a bit further down the arm. The positioning looks good like that, but as a nit-pick, I think PKs sit more like a forearm attachment rather than a straight up glove...

IMO, the problem with the AoBR Nobs and the gap-less construction, is that they more or less force you to point the gun in a recoiling position post-levelled shot. Me, I don't like how static it makes the nob look, so I'm working with the tilt of both the arm and the head to give him a slightly different look without having to actually do anything other than filling the gap that ends up on the model. Is it a huge gap? No, but then I'll stick boys together and put GS on the part where the shoulder meets the torso, just so it sits flush and looks like it's actually attached to a body instead of looking rather, IMO, frankenstein-ishly attached as an afterthought...

Honestly, I just feel that the, "HA! I shootses yoose" pose that GW has done to their models just makes it look too much like a "it took all of 0.2 seconds worth of thought for me to come up with this" model... Just feels like a perfect waste of a fine model~ :sowhat

Mourner

Mourner

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 51 posts
  • Army Name:Wysi'Wyg Waaagh, the half-glimpsed horde

I'm going to say no on this one. As one who prefers to mount my Nobz on 40mm bases, I feel your pain... but basic model, no conversions means that the terminator remains on a 40mm base, and the nob on a 28mm base. My own entry is likely to be a nob, which I will mount on a 28mm basic base for the contest, and then transfer to a 40mm scenic base once the contest is over.

And yes, this is a PK swipe :)

actualy, i was planning to mount the nob on the standard 28mm base, and making a base like the one above, just on a smaller base, and thus on a smaller scale. it will probably stick out something like 0,5 to 1 cm as opposed to the base size

so.... choppa swipe for misunderstanding? :biggrin i dont think i saved enough teef yet to buy me a PK :crybaby
Knowledge is hell, I'll take blissfull ignorance anyday.
-Mourner

I was there the day Horus killed the Emperor.
-Garviel Loken

armies (W/D/L)

WFB: beastmen 2250pts (0/0/0)
40K: Wysi'Wyg's waaagh (1000pts Orks) (1/1/10) (fun games: 11)

needskonstruktion

needskonstruktion

telescoping arm

• Deathskullz
  • 490 posts
  • Army Name:Da kombined Waaagh of Warboss Bob
Read the Kaptun's post above your original one Mourner - I think that base, even on a smaller scale, will draw attention away from the model! :thumbs Just stick to what he says... Or else.
Korprul' konstrukt, Lad uv da dreadsokk korpz - Fightin' Ruleslawyer gitz and keepin' it proppa
QUOTE (Sproston Green @ Oct 2 2008, 08:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In my expierence it's been all about the trousers.

QUOTE (Warboss-Keg @ Feb 28 2008, 08:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
urinating in my pants because I just can't be bothered to zip down my fly

QUOTE (Dim_Reapa @ Nov 16 2008, 06:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think you need to get a firm hold on those breasts and do something with them.

My Daemons - Please look! http://www.heresy-on...nacious-bob.htm

Mourner

Mourner

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 51 posts
  • Army Name:Wysi'Wyg Waaagh, the half-glimpsed horde
but point 3 says: use the base that comes with the mini, no plinth, but detailing is alowed point 3a states specifically that resin scenic bases are allowed (wouldn't those draw away from the original mini?) point 3b however states that only normal landscape bases are alowed, no other models. so, let me rephrase the question: if i take the original 28mm base (the grey one supplied with the white dwarf model) and use only plastic (no other mini parts) to build a cool and impressive base (instead of using a "stock" resin scenic base). would that be allowed, or can i only glue on sand and grass?
Knowledge is hell, I'll take blissfull ignorance anyday.
-Mourner

I was there the day Horus killed the Emperor.
-Garviel Loken

armies (W/D/L)

WFB: beastmen 2250pts (0/0/0)
40K: Wysi'Wyg's waaagh (1000pts Orks) (1/1/10) (fun games: 11)

Kaptun Krum

Kaptun Krum

Arbork Kaptun

• Bosses
  • 6,145 posts
I would say that the one that is build up from the normal base is ok. The other is not. Just like you said, don't use a base larger or smaller than the one it came with. Also the reason resin bases are allowed is because one of the companies that is offering prize support makes resin bases.
Arborkz on Patrol
Kaptun Krum on Patrol!!

needskonstruktion

needskonstruktion

telescoping arm

• Deathskullz
  • 490 posts
Do you have to use the resin bases from the company that is providing prizes, or can you use any old resin base...?
Korprul' konstrukt, Lad uv da dreadsokk korpz - Fightin' Ruleslawyer gitz and keepin' it proppa

I think you need to get a firm hold on those breasts and do something with them.

Kaptun Krum

Kaptun Krum

Arbork Kaptun

• Bosses
  • 6,145 posts
any. Just saying thats the reason we allowed them.
Arborkz on Patrol
Kaptun Krum on Patrol!!

Blakkreaper

Blakkreaper

Da Ladz Wrangler

• Freebooterz
  • 2,365 posts
  • Army Name:WAAAGH Grimgull

Here's your bandaid for you gaping head wound. :lol

Don't worry, just need a few rivitz, and some teef for da mek wot needz ta fix it. ;)

Cheerz to Thork for the Great Avvy.
Let's gross our fingers and sacraface pot Blood Red to Bitz God... [Morhgoz]
I oppose RAW evil; or, more importantly; The Dice Gods oppose RAW evil. [Andrew the Eternal's proppa hiaku]

"Giving Krooza an idea, now prooven to be just as bad as saying 'Go on Dim, rant away!" [Dim Reepa]
"We don't have a Battle Tank. We have a glorified transport that eats people." "like a surgical sledgehammer." [GrogDaTyrant]

Da Skwire

Da Skwire

Oily Squig

• Boyz
  • 105 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh! Notlob Uruk Hai
When we take the photos, what sort of background should we have? Can I use, for instance, some scenery I modeled? Watches for PK :search Da Skwire
Big Mek to Warlord Notlob Uruk Hai - no Gargant too big, no blasta too small. Quotations offered, reasonable rates. Teef and PayPal accepted.

Kaptun Krum

Kaptun Krum

Arbork Kaptun

• Bosses
  • 6,145 posts

No collages, insets or any other type of 'fancy' set up. Please also refrain from putting your painting business/watermark logos on the picture as well as we would like to keep this as anonymous as possible

So no. Background should be as plain as possible. The focus is on the model not everything else.
Arborkz on Patrol
Kaptun Krum on Patrol!!

Da Skwire

Da Skwire

Oily Squig

• Boyz
  • 105 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh! Notlob Uruk Hai
(sound of PK swishing above head) Ta Kaptin, White card on standby. Da Skwire
Big Mek to Warlord Notlob Uruk Hai - no Gargant too big, no blasta too small. Quotations offered, reasonable rates. Teef and PayPal accepted.

Tribun

Tribun

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 376 posts
  • Army Name:WAAGH..we dunno need namez, we need foes!
Is using the right "Terminator-arm from the WD-Black reach goodies" ok for the contest?? Like this:

Attached Thumbnails

• 3er_Nob_Black_Reach.JPG

DAGERMAN ANSWERTO WAAAGH!!!!

...pleaze exkuze my english...

needskonstruktion

needskonstruktion

telescoping arm

• Deathskullz
  • 490 posts
I would say not Tribun, as that's adding to the model, isn't it :biggrin ... Would be good if you could though :crybaby . Thanks Kaptun. :thumbs

Kaptun Krum

Kaptun Krum

Arbork Kaptun

• Bosses
  • 6,145 posts

Is using the right "Terminator-arm from the WD-Black reach goodies" ok for the contest??

Like this:

Needskonstruction is correct. That indeed is a modification of the model. Remember the key words are BASIC and UNMODIFIED!

Maybe I should use smaller words. We're orks after all.

Oh yeah.. PK up side the head Tribun!
Arborkz on Patrol
Kaptun Krum on Patrol!!

needskonstruktion

needskonstruktion

telescoping arm

• Deathskullz
  • 490 posts
What's a 'needskonstruction?!

;)

Basing my model on Saturday, are we allowed to show WIP pictures in threads?

Kaptun Krum

Kaptun Krum

Arbork Kaptun

• Bosses
  • 6,145 posts
And there's you a PK to the head. Do you even have one left. :lol Submittals are supposed to be anonymous to pretty much everyone.. How is yours anonymous if you post WIP shots?
Arborkz on Patrol
Kaptun Krum on Patrol!!