Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Assault on Black Reach Painting Contest

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
224 replies to this topic

Poll: Participation (140 member(s) have cast votes)

I am going to....

1. Enter a Nob at the-waaagh. (67 votes [47.86%])

Percentage of vote: 47.86%

2. Enter a termie at the B&C (15 votes [10.71%])

Percentage of vote: 10.71%

3. sit on my ass and not participate in the contest. (58 votes [41.43%])

Percentage of vote: 41.43%

Vote

Kaptun Krum

Kaptun Krum

Arbork Kaptun

• Bosses
  • 6,145 posts
  • Army Name:Da Arborkz
ASSAULT ON BLACK REACH PAINTING CONTEST

With the release of the Assault on Black Reach box set, the admins of Da Waaagh and the Bolter and Chainsword have gotten together and present to you the Assault on Black Reach painting contest!

Sponsored by:
TheWarstore.com

The Gamers Realm (Hakbash's store)

Dragon Forge Design

This contest is quick, easy and only requires a few things for you to participate. First, you must be a member of either the Bolter and Chainsword or Da Waaagh to participate. Secondly, you will need to have one of the 5 Terminator or 5 Nob minis from the new Assault on Black Reach box set or the same minis from the latest White Dwarf (345 UK/344 US). Everyone from both boards can participate in this event (even mods and admins) because the opposite board will be doing the voting (DaWaagh for Beakies and B&C for Orks).

Posted Image

The Rules
1. Only the Terminators and Nobs from the Assault on Black Reach/new White Dwarf release can be used in this contest.
2. No conversions. Stock miniatures only -- just like you see up in the picture above. No extra parts -- even from the AoBR set. No green stuff. Just the minis and their respective base parts (head, arms, body and base). Decals and drilling of gun barrels are okay.
3. Stock bases that the minis come with only. Plinths are not allowed. Detailing the base is up to you beyond that.
3a. Resin scenic bases are allowed.
3b. Normal landscape basing only. No other minis (such as a fish'ead being used as a corpse for example).
4. One mini only. So that means you are either entering a Terminator at the B&C or a Nob at Da Waaagh.
5. Front, left side, right side and back pictures only. Front picture at a minimum of course. No more than 4 pictures (front, back, left side, right side) in total. No collages, insets or any other type of 'fancy' set up. Please also refrain from putting your painting business/watermark logos on the picture as well as we would like to keep this as anonymous as possible (just like in all the past contests). Pics need to be in JPG or GIF format and no larger than 800x600. If you don't have a program at home to do the cropping with we suggest you download GIMP which is a free image manipulation program.

Examples of said pictures:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

6. There is no WIP shot for this contest so you can enter the minis if you've painted them already. However please do not enter said minis if you have already entered them in other contests as we will disqualify you for that.

Asking questions that are answered in the rules will get you smacked up side the head with a PK.

QUOTE When considering submitting a piece for a competition, you must, without fail, ask said competition's coordinator any and every question you can conceive of in an attempt to bend said competition's rules and restrictions to suit your personal desires. This rule must be especially observed if entry into said competetion involves no fee and includes a prize generously donated by an individual who gains little or nothing from such a venture.

Don't be that guy!!!

How to Enter

Simple enough. Send an email to:

grot_messenga@the-waaagh.com

Include the following:
Your real name. We'll need this later if you win.
Your display name -- this means how your name appears next to your posts on the B&C or Waaagh.
Your pictures (zip or rar file is fine or you can just attach them individually).

Please make sure you send them from the email that you use for your Waaagh or B&C account!

Voting

Voting will be a bit different than past contests. Bolter and Chainsword members will be voting on the Ork entries from the Waaagh while the Waaghers will be voting on the Terminators from the B&C. Yes if you are signed up at both sites you'll be able to vote in each contest. Voting will be conducted via polling threads (Orks in the thread at the B&C and Beakies in the thread at DaWaaagh). Keep in mind that if you select the "see results" option without voting then that goes in as a null vote and you are fresh out of luck on voting. So make sure you vote first!!

Time Line
The contest will run from Sept. 1, 2008 to Sept. 30, 2008. This means we have to have your final entry pics by Sept. 30th. Anything comes in after that and it won't be entered.

Voting will start no later than Oct. 3rd, 2008 and go for 7 days after that. Winners will be announced no later than Oct. 12, 2008.

Prizes

Prizes provided by:
TheWarstore.com

The Gamers Realm (Hakbash's store)

Dragon Forge Design

Instead of assigning prizes we are letting the winners pick what they want out of a prize package.
So 1st place winner for Ork and beakie will pick from:
Assault on Black Reach Box Set from The Gamers Realm
A $40 Gift Certificate from TheWarstore.com
$25 worth of resin bases from Dragon Forge Design.

2nd Place will get to pick from what is left and then 3rd place winners will get the final items left over.

This means 2 people will get Assault on Black Reach, 2 people will get $40 TheWarstore.com gift certificates and 2 people will get $25 of resin bases!
Arborkz on Patrol
Kaptun Krum on Patrol!!

Grubsnikk

Grubsnikk

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 315 posts
  • Army Name:Kreepin' Deff
quote< 'However please do not enter said minis if you have already entered them in other contests as we will disqualify you for that.' My LGS (GW) is having a similar contest, would that count as another contest in this regard?
FEELD-MARSHULL GRUBSNIKK
KOMMANDA OV DA KREEPIN' DEFF BLOOD AXES

LICHTENAUER FOR PRESIDENT!

quote: 'I like the variation on head you get plus the FB box has a nob sprue' jackdoud
quote: 'Then it isn't da waaagh's issue, we don't get ninja-lawyer'd and everyone lives happily ever after. Even the bunnies.' Blakkreaper
quote: 'If an ordered list of thread links isn't enough for you to find something then give up now and take up embroidery. cheers.gif' jackdoud

Blakkreaper

Blakkreaper

Da Ladz Wrangler

• Freebooterz
  • 2,365 posts
  • Army Name:WAAAGH Grimgull
Wow, great idea boss'z. :thumbs One small question - since they come in plastic, I was planning to add a little bit of battle damage - is this ok? or will it count as a conversion. Just making sure. :cheers bossez

Cheerz to Thork for the Great Avvy.
Let's gross our fingers and sacraface pot Blood Red to Bitz God... [Morhgoz]
I oppose RAW evil; or, more importantly; The Dice Gods oppose RAW evil. [Andrew the Eternal's proppa hiaku]

"Giving Krooza an idea, now prooven to be just as bad as saying 'Go on Dim, rant away!" [Dim Reepa]
"We don't have a Battle Tank. We have a glorified transport that eats people." "like a surgical sledgehammer." [GrogDaTyrant]

Faolan da Mek

Faolan da Mek

Throws the bomb, not the pin.

• Grotz
  • 4 posts
  • Army Name:Dark Angels
Wot 'bout stuffin da gaps wiv stuff?

Gobsmakk'd

Gobsmakk'd

Gyro Stabilised Monowheel

• Deathskullz
  • 548 posts
  • Army Name:Da Ska' Vengaz (Deff Skullz)
Great idea Waaagh! bossez and B&C bruvvas, thank you very much for running dis 'ere komp. And a huge thank you to the generous sponsors. Let the brushwork begin :choppa

Nozeminer

Nozeminer

Glorifier of Grotz

• Deathskullz
  • 2,021 posts
  • Army Name:Snotbagz Nozeminerz
NO GREEN STUFF?!?!?! :crybaby ;) Does that include gap filling? (The right shoulder join on the nob, to be specific.) BTW, a big :thumbs :thumbs and a thank you to da boss' here and at the B&C and to the sponsors for the generous prizez. EDIT: Oops, sorry. Question's already been asked while I was typing.
Yoo kin pikk yer Warboss an' yoo kin pikk yer noze. But, yoo kant pikk yer Warbossez noze.

"Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb."

Kromlech for all your Orky goodness.

Nozeminer Studioz

armored walker

armored walker

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 434 posts
I was sorta expecting something along the lines of the "paint your free mini"- contest some time back, but this is much bigger! Thanks to the Bosses and also to the boss-folks at the B&C for this. On stuffing, Brother Tyler on B&C said OK on gap filling ( and on drilling barrels ), no converting othervice. A question about basing: how much is considered to be "another mini" on the base? Can I use parts of armor, like helmets, hands or guns to decorate the base?
Armored walkers are Slow and Purposefull.

Quase

Quase

Big Mek

• Nobz
  • 4,200 posts
  • Army Name:Da Klan ov da Golden Teef
Hey, let's not forget to thank Hakbash, Neil and the Dragonforge store for all the cool prizes they're offering up eh?
:thumbs

Blakkreaper, as per the rules, I am now allowed to smack you upside your head with a PK.
Posted Image

"No modifications" means no modifications.

As for the gap-filling, I bought my White Dwarf yesterday, I'll check tonight if any gap-filling is needed, because I have a sneaky suspicion that simply shortening the plastic snap-fit-pin 'll be enough to remedy that hole at his arm.

We'll get back to you on the basing question
Roight, any questions?
Yes?
Too bad!
It be time to WAAAGH!

Quase -

Da Skwire

Da Skwire

Oily Squig

• Boyz
  • 105 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh! Notlob Uruk Hai
Excellent idea & top marks to the sponsors (crawl, crawl). :biggrin I've already stuck the tiny little skull from the termie sprue on my Nob's base - guess it's time for the craft knife of doom to remove it again :( Da Skwire
Big Mek to Warlord Notlob Uruk Hai - no Gargant too big, no blasta too small. Quotations offered, reasonable rates. Teef and PayPal accepted.

Kaptun Krum

Kaptun Krum

Arbork Kaptun

• Bosses
  • 6,145 posts

My LGS (GW) is having a similar contest, would that count as another contest in this regard?

Obviously there is no way that we can fully police this, but no other contests means no other contests. I'm in the same boat if its any consolation. I have to paint two nobz this month. *gasp*

One small question - since they come in plastic, I was planning to add a little bit of battle damage - is this ok?

As quase said, no modifications meand no modifications. Adding battle damage can be construed as a modification. You may feel free to PAINT battle damage effects.

A question about basing: how much is considered to be "another mini" on the base? Can I use parts of armor, like helmets, hands or guns to decorate the base?

No extra body parts.

Guys this is a VERY simple and basic contest. Don't make this harder than it needs to be. Just get your mini, clean it up, base it, and paint it. Thats it.
Arborkz on Patrol
Kaptun Krum on Patrol!!

Faolan da Mek

Faolan da Mek

Throws the bomb, not the pin.

• Grotz
  • 4 posts
  • Army Name:Dark Angels
Well, sometimes they're devilishly difficult Kap'n. The reason I asked about the gappy fillin' is because in a contest that happened at a shop I shan't name back in the US, gap filling was ruled as a modification/conversion/greenstuffing disqualification, of all the blasted things. (The irony was, it was actually red putty used to fill!)

Warboss Grimek

Warboss Grimek

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,284 posts
  • Army Name:Waaaagh Grimmo, till I come up with something original...
I've got mine demold/cleaned and awaiting glue~ Just need the confirmation on the shoulder joint GS thing. Personally, I wouldn't not fill it, as the joint isn't like our multiparts whereby they sit pretty flush. Once I get the go on that though, I'll be sticking this thing together and prepping it for paint. I've been messing about lately with different painting techniques, so maybe I'll do something new and different to it. Gork knows that all I seem to ever want to do is make them dark and grimey... Maybe I'll make this one nice and shiny for a change... :lol

Kaptun Krum

Kaptun Krum

Arbork Kaptun

• Bosses
  • 6,145 posts
greenstuff joints is ok.
Arborkz on Patrol
Kaptun Krum on Patrol!!

Kaptun Krum

Kaptun Krum

Arbork Kaptun

• Bosses
  • 6,145 posts

Can I use parts of armor, like helmets, hands or guns to decorate the base?

We know folks are gonna want to use their minis to fit in their armies so we don't want to put too many restrictions on basing beyond the other mini and plinths thing (3a and 3b). If something questionable comes up then the HQs of the two sites will review it and make a decision but as long as you follow the rules you should be fine.
Arborkz on Patrol
Kaptun Krum on Patrol!!

squiggoth

squiggoth

Stormboy

• Deathskullz
  • 1,367 posts
  • Army Name:PSV (BloodBowl), Waaagh! Badgutz (40K), Waaagh! Gornaz (WHFB/WarMaster)
Concerning gap filling .... the gap on the WD Nob's arm is pretty wide, but I found it fits completely gap-less when you cut off that little stud in his armpit where you're supposed to pin his shoulder onto:

Posted Image

See, no greenstuff required at his right arm at all .... The gap around my Nob's neck needs quite some greenstuff though. ;)

And before anyone starts mewing: this is obviously NOT a Black Reach Contest entry. :P
- Martijn

What's in a name? That, which we call a Goff
By any other name would smell as bad.

Jollya Capuloot

QUOTE (hakbash @ Nov 23 2007, 09:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Deff Skullz is my chosen klan. I like to loot, nick, and wear blue.

deamoncow

deamoncow

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,031 posts
  • Army Name:Da Gear Boyz
does it have to be THAT nob or can it be another one of the nobs that comes with AOBR? do citys of death bitz count as disallowed bitz on the base?
WAAAGH DA GEAR BOYZ!
Warboss~Gregza Un Bonzif da Stompy
Big Mek~Big Mek Dogbreff

If there is an Ork Stompa released by GW anytime this year I will eat my own genitalz winkingOrk.gif
~Kr00za

I'm holding you to this Kr00za, you better do it. Pics or medical forms as proof

HAMPSTER SQUADRON my webcomic! http://hamsquadcomic.googlepages.com/

Kaptun Krum

Kaptun Krum

Arbork Kaptun

• Bosses
  • 6,145 posts
Ok looks like we have a difference of opinion concerning battle damage, so in talking with Kurgan we decided the following:

battle damage is ok as long as you are not adding to the mini. i.e. greenstuff, other bitz, etc

does it have to be THAT nob or can it be another one of the nobs that comes with AOBR?

Read the rules. PK swipe to the head.

do citys of death bitz count as disallowed bitz on the base?

Use your best discretion. My advice, If its a big piece I'd avoid it. If its something laying on the ground or sticking up from the ground a little, your ok. Try to avoid basing things that would take the eye away from the model.
Arborkz on Patrol
Kaptun Krum on Patrol!!

needskonstruktion

needskonstruktion

telescoping arm

• Deathskullz
  • 490 posts
  • Army Name:Da kombined Waaagh of Warboss Bob
I found and read this contest last night - So today I made up my figures, and painted the Nob - Not to shabby for practically the first ever Ork I've ever sat down, and painted with lots of shading and highlighting, as I've got 122 boyz to paint up, so I've been using a good, cheap and dirty way to paint them. Looks awesome in hordes :thumbs ... My only dilemma, is that I have to get the place where I take the pictures just right, as there is no obvious cartoony highlighting - Just wet blending and shading so it's a really realistic skintone... :biggrin
Korprul' konstrukt, Lad uv da dreadsokk korpz - Fightin' Ruleslawyer gitz and keepin' it proppa
QUOTE (Sproston Green @ Oct 2 2008, 08:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In my expierence it's been all about the trousers.

QUOTE (Warboss-Keg @ Feb 28 2008, 08:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
urinating in my pants because I just can't be bothered to zip down my fly

QUOTE (Dim_Reapa @ Nov 16 2008, 06:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think you need to get a firm hold on those breasts and do something with them.

My Daemons - Please look! http://www.heresy-on...nacious-bob.htm

Mourner

Mourner

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 51 posts
  • Army Name:Wysi'Wyg Waaagh, the half-glimpsed horde
are scratch-build bases okay..... something like this (just on a smaller scale) Boss1.jpg Boss2.jpg this base is plastic and putty only (okay, and a beaky helmet, and a lasgun) everything that is either HQ or Nob in my army will be placed on such a base....
Knowledge is hell, I'll take blissfull ignorance anyday.
-Mourner

I was there the day Horus killed the Emperor.
-Garviel Loken

armies (W/D/L)

WFB: beastmen 2250pts (0/0/0)
40K: Wysi'Wyg's waaagh (1000pts Orks) (1/1/10) (fun games: 11)

Blakkreaper

Blakkreaper

Da Ladz Wrangler

• Freebooterz
  • 2,365 posts
  • Army Name:WAAAGH Grimgull

Blakkreaper, as per the rules, I am now allowed to smack you upside your head with a PK.

YOWCH! Gotta get dat mek to fix ma bonce now, now I know why i've had a headache all day. . .

[mutters]I waz only askin. . . [/mutters]

Ok looks like we have a difference of opinion concerning battle damage, so in talking with Kurgan we decided the following:

battle damage is ok as long as you are not adding to the mini. i.e. greenstuff, other bitz, etc

Un-yowch? Cheers bosses.

Cheerz to Thork for the Great Avvy.
Let's gross our fingers and sacraface pot Blood Red to Bitz God... [Morhgoz]
I oppose RAW evil; or, more importantly; The Dice Gods oppose RAW evil. [Andrew the Eternal's proppa hiaku]

"Giving Krooza an idea, now prooven to be just as bad as saying 'Go on Dim, rant away!" [Dim Reepa]
"We don't have a Battle Tank. We have a glorified transport that eats people." "like a surgical sledgehammer." [GrogDaTyrant]