Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Getting started soon

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Full_Blooded_Ork

Full_Blooded_Ork

Kommando

• Boyz
  • 919 posts
  • Army Name:Ork Mob
I was thinking of for my warband using the boyz, and starting with the troll, but I saw how small it would be with him, and one of the players will be using dwarves, now when I read the dwarven rules, I saw that they have equal toughness, and about equal numbers if I take the troll, plus hatred. My question is, is taking the troll in a campaign that involves a dwarven players a bad idea? Other groups in the campaign seem to be sisters of sigmar, Marienburg, witchunters, undead and dark elves.

Kiwi Ork

Kiwi Ork

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 219 posts
  • Army Name:Strogg's Loota Boyz
Taking the troll in a campaign will pay off in the long-term. Its ded 'ard in combat and can't be killed. Ever. By anything. Keep in near your warboss so it can use his leadership for stupidity tests. Otherwise be prepared to have it stand still for most of the game. Although you won't have the usual numbers advantage over the dwarves you still have two things the dwarf player lacks - mobility and magic. Quite a few Mordheim scenarios involve taking objectives or gathering wyrdstone. Dwarves' slow movement really holds them back in these scenarios. After a game or two you'll be able to build up the size of your warband quite quickly since your henchman are relatively cheap. Although clubs are good weapons, dwarf special rules limit their effectiveness. But it loosk like you'll be fighting several different opponents. None of the others will have any particular advantage over the orcs.

Zorbag Skullsplitta

Zorbag Skullsplitta

Steel Teef

• Speed Freaks
  • 674 posts
  • Army Name:Skullsplittas Speed Freeks!!!
Dwarves in mordheim are a pain in the ass. Theyre so slow all they ever do is hang out in windows with crossbows. BOOOO... And trolls dont last to long against massed crossbows. But theyre still a very good greenskin choice over all. But as was mentioned, his leadersip is poop, keep im close to the boss.
The Waaagh.. My sole diversion in what has otherwise been a pale and unamusing season.

There are some people who will tell you that haphazardly adding zombies to any game does not neccesarily improve it. Those people are idiots. GI

Kiwi Ork

Kiwi Ork

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 219 posts
Zorbag is right. All dwarves can do is stand still shooting. They have a long range thanks to the engineer but are not great shots. Using crossbows denies them movement at all. Its hard to win a lot of Mordheim scenarios if you don't move. A troll can't take too many crossbow bolts since its toughness is only 4 but regenerate eseantially gives a 4+ save and even if its taken out of action its back in the next game. The thing that I think is a shame is that the troll's full movement rate isn't often used because it needs to stay near the warboss. Its a shame the troll doesn't use the same stupidity rule as the rat ogre (i.e. only needs to test if there's no hero within 6"). After 6 games in a campaign you should have a big warband with pleanty of boyz and a ded killy troll. The dwarf player will still be building up his numbers since a basic henchman + crossbow costs heaps. The dwarf player will max put at 12 warband members while you'll have 20!

Zorbag Skullsplitta

Zorbag Skullsplitta

Steel Teef

• Speed Freaks
  • 674 posts
Indeed , that is the other drawback of dwarves besides their slowness. They cost out the rear in gold. Sisters have almost no ranged weapons. They are good if you let me close with ya, but you can pick at least a few off at range, then just try to swamp individual sisters with multiple guys. Witchhunters are more balanced , they have a fair amount of decent shooting. And the priests prayers can be pretty effective. Never under any circumstances let anyone use the high elf shadow host list. It is an unbalanced pile of garbage. Try playing against it. You wont have a chance, you never will.
The Waaagh.. My sole diversion in what has otherwise been a pale and unamusing season.

There are some people who will tell you that haphazardly adding zombies to any game does not neccesarily improve it. Those people are idiots. GI

Kiwi Ork

Kiwi Ork

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 219 posts
There's a good reason why the shadow elf list isn't official. They have everything going for them and no real weaknesses. I played against them once and won by sheer luck - my 3 possessed brethren (BS 3) shot down lost of elf archers with fantastic rolls and they routed. But I knew it was a fluke and in a battle wherer the dice don't go all my way, the shadow elves are unstoppable. Adding to Zorbag's points - the undead can be tricky since they cause fear and have some high toughness units - vampire & ghouls. The troll sounds like a good anti-vampire unit with its high strength and multiple wounds. If the vampire dies your opponent has to spend some serious gc to get another. If the troll is taken out of action he'll be back for the next game.

Full_Blooded_Ork

Full_Blooded_Ork

Kommando

• Boyz
  • 919 posts
thanks for the advice guys. I think I will start out with the troll. It's a darkelf list though, not the high elf. The one from the lustria rules. The gamemaster probably ok'd it because he plays dark elves, but he ok'd my orcs so I'm happy. Btw, it was middheimers, not marienburgs, not sure if that matters to much. Oh and the kult of the possessed will also be involved. Not the undead, wasn't sure which one the guy was using since he owns both.

Kiwi Ork

Kiwi Ork

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 219 posts
The dark elves are hugely expensive from memory and will, therefore, be outnumbered. The two possessed models are a real danger to anyone. The troll could face one but not two of them. I don't think it mattesr abotut he middenheimers/marienbergers. I don't rate either warband highly. Good luck and keep us posted on your battles.

Zorbag Skullsplitta

Zorbag Skullsplitta

Steel Teef

• Speed Freaks
  • 674 posts
Marienburgers just start with more money, and gain bonus exploration rolls. Middenheimers start with heroes at +1 S.

Kiwi Ork

Kiwi Ork

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 219 posts
I suppose the Middenheimers deserves some respect since their STR 4 cancels the benesfits of the orcs' T4. But they still die as easy as any other human. Even goblins bowmen are a danger to T3 'umies. In fact, gobbos are a bargain at 15 gc so long as they never have to use thie rLD for a Leadership test! Course you'd want to replace them with proppa orcs eventually.

Full_Blooded_Ork

Full_Blooded_Ork

Kommando

• Boyz
  • 919 posts
Here's my starting warband, all built up. 2x big uns, clubs+axes. Boss /w sword+axe Shaman with club (to use up the last 3 gold incase I don't get the clubba spell) and sword Henchmen 2 boyz /w clubs+daggers Troll Not sure if I should take the club off the shaman and have 3 gold left over.

Kiwi Ork

Kiwi Ork

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 219 posts
It looks good to me. Use the boys and the troll to do the fighting intitially. I''d split the boys into two henchman groups to increase the chance of getting the lads got talent. Good luck and keep us posted on your battles.

Mad Trukka

Mad Trukka

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 313 posts
  • Army Name:Plague of Dol Amroth (LOTR) 'ArdAkkaz ( Fantasy,40k)
I dont play mordheim much but i think you might want to have more henchmen than 2.
92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and
paste this into your signature. GENERATION 5 The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment

Why a Big Boss is better than Chuck Norris!:

Chuck Norris recently had the idea to sell his urine as a canned beverage. We know this beverage as Red Bull. Big Boss sells his urine also, as weapons grade plutonium.
Chuck Norris once shot down a German plane by pointing with his finger and saying "Bang". Big Boss knocked the MIR space station out of orbit by glaring at it
Godzilla is a Japanese rendition of Big Boss' first visit to Tokyo.