Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Gargant

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Lorax of the Bleeding Grin

'Ard Boy

• Freebooterz
  • 863 posts
  • Army Name:Feral
So, as some may know the diving suit gargant is officially trashed. After the fall it was in bad shape, following that I tried to do a water base using a 2 part epoxy, which never set fully. Long story short I messed up. I tried to peice it together, but I was feeling frustrated, so I decided to start work on a new gargant. It is based on the Aussie classic by Lemmingspawn (whom I noticed is now a forum member here). I liked the steam power look of his work, so I shamelessly looted some of the shape.

Here is where I am at currently
Posted Image
Posted Image

Chasis, used the IMEX powerplant and plenty of plasticard/caps and various other plastic bits
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

This is the simple version of the legs, I think it will need some more plates, as well as the pyramid spikes that Kr00za uses, plus more worky bitz.

Here is somewhat of the direction that I am heading. I am not sure if I will do a head (pictured) or an open top. I like the look of the head, but the open top has so many possibilities as well. I am going to do an armored "skirt" similar to Eins and the concept art, so the screw tops will not be visible. Also been workin on an arm, which is very WIP at the moment
Posted Image
C&C welcome and appreciated
thanks
Lorax
QUOTE (4tonmantis @ Nov 26 2008, 11:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gentlemen...welcome to the Lorax effect.. those wishing to learn it be warned...part of the process involves snorting a gerbil and whacking yourself with a clawhammer.

QUOTE (Ug Thok @ Jun 9 2008, 04:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lorax: Da MacGyver uv da Waaagh!

QUOTE (Zagursnik @ Feb 22 2008, 03:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
*The Lorax of the Bleeding Grin Effect reffers to models so cobbled toegther with different parts & bitz that ya can't tell whats what until the first coat of paint hits the plastic, metal, pape mache or whatever else it is you found in the garage or under the sofa to build with.

'Ard Boy

• Freebooterz
  • 863 posts
Well I did some work on the head. Decided to go with an "open top" design. Here is some of the work I have done so far. I still need to green stuff a few areas (control panel, the helmet control brain, wiring jobs) and glyphs and more wiring to be added. As it is now, I think it will sit coming off over the body, slightly elevated and descending. I worked more on the arm, but I am not too satisfied so far, so I will make another attempt of it tonight. Looking around at the parts of the other gargant, I am salvaging the gun arm....but trying to figure out where to put it. Any suggestions out there?

Pictures
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

C&C welcome
Lorax
Gentlemen...welcome to the Lorax effect.. those wishing to learn it be warned...part of the process involves snorting a gerbil and whacking yourself with a clawhammer.

*The Lorax of the Bleeding Grin Effect reffers to models so cobbled toegther with different parts & bitz that ya can't tell whats what until the first coat of paint hits the plastic, metal, pape mache or whatever else it is you found in the garage or under the sofa to build with.

Kr00zA

Kr00zA

Grumpy ole Git

• Goffz
  • 9,989 posts
  • Army Name:Big Berk'z Bashaz
Make it bigger! :soap

Attached Thumbnails

• Gargant.JPG

Nuf Said.

Avatarz by KroozA and Animated Avatarz by KroozA ... Please dont link directly to them. Save one and upload it to the forum.

Zagursnik

Zagursnik

Loots from da Lootaz

• Freebooterz
  • 2,551 posts
  • Army Name:Orks of da Pink Floyd
Great use of the Powerplant, espceically the box! How would the diving suit gargant's gun arm look coming up over the top of the (its) left/ "structure" side so its essentially shouler mounted? I really like the control brain helmet... "Dere go, sum 'umies, get die gargant stompin!" "Roight, lemme just put on me tinkin cap!"

& as an aside (& hopefully not due to some serious medical condition) but how much perscription drugs do you go through?

Oh yeah, & a really simple way I've found on makin a water effect is a paint whatever is going to be the water the color you want it (blue, green murk) & then just cover with hot glue to the desired depth.
"I guess...Grot...you just gotta hold that ol' snazzgun in your hand and it all comes clear to you like it was for me that first time. That's when I knew my one true calling in life.

"And wut's dat Boss?"

"I'm a natural born flashgit kill-joy"

"Ask yourself, this is the age before mechanical weapons. How long does it take to kill 70,000 human beings with swords and spears one at a time? The answer seems to be about 6 hours." Richard Gabriel

'Ard Boy

• Freebooterz
  • 863 posts
Mr. Kr00za thanks for the drawing. I did take your advice to heart, and I am going to concentrate on making the lower sections larger. Namely the feet and skirting sections. I feel that the arm, and galleys will help to balance out the size of it. And as of now the head is smaller in size.

Thanks Zagursnik for the positive feedback and tip on the water effect. As for the prescription meds, I have people save ALL of their plastic for me, so I basically just use whatever to help make my stuff. This guy has now a total of 6 prescription med bottels under his belt, as well as weird peices like printer cartridge tabs, plenty of markers, water bottle caps, and just about anything else that catches my fancy.

As for the update, added railings aroun d the bottom. Added a side/back platform as well as some armor plates onto that side. Added more details to the head (greenstuffed the helmet cam, levers and other parts). Worked the arm significantly.

Enough, pictures:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

'Ard Boy

• Freebooterz
  • 863 posts
Here is the arm
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Thumbs up from Mr. Gargant
Posted Image

This is where I am thinking of placing the gun
Posted Image
Posted Image

Thanks for looking

'Ard Boy

• Freebooterz
  • 863 posts
Minor update for today.
Added the kannon on top shoulder. Mounted it with some pistons, to make it look like it can move. Debating if I should add a gunner position ontop, to make it look like it is controlled up there?
Added some more bitz and peices near the walkways.

Pictures:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Plans for shoulder attachment
Posted Image

c&c welcome
:cheers
Lorax

Ug Thok

Ug Thok

Flash Git

• Bad Moonz
  • 1,040 posts
  • Army Name:Da Zoggin Zoggers
That arm is lovely, you really captured some nice subtleties of motion with it...even if Orks are anything but subtle ;). The gun looks fine mounted where it is, but I think it leans a little bit too much on the ramshackle side of things. It appears if you actually chose to fire it...it would disintegrate. Add some more reinforced pistons to the front to balance it out. The teeth are perfect, like this Gargant went to the paindok to get braces.
Easy Waaaghers
MEGA Armored Warboss TOEGNASHER
Da DurDregga

Behind Brother-Captain Bob, a great rift opened from the void, and space elves hopped out with cookies. In their time of greatest peril, Craftworld Keebler came to the Mon Keigh. Unfortunately for both, this would be no ordinary bake sale.

cookie

cookie

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 289 posts
  • Army Name:Warlord Wrecker's Grand Horde
SCARY how you people can built such wonderful models, I'll need to keep my eye on this

standard deffwing tactic: rush fast and hit like a runaway freight train with a rocket booster on the last carriage...
remember kids, never trust an ork who shows his teeth

tsj

tsj

Grot Rigger

• Boyz
  • 172 posts
  • Army Name:Hmm.. Perhaps... "Da green piratez"
Oh yes, that gargant is starting to look mighty stompy :) The arm and the guns are awesome... I especially like the "glove mounted" kannon... very cool :)

'Ard Boy

• Freebooterz
  • 863 posts
@Cookie thanks for the positive feedback and 5x posting ;)
@Ug I agree, looking at it It hink I will add another larger piston in the front area in the next update.

So nothing too big, got the arm attached as well as made the shoulder pad.
Pictures
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

what is planned for the lower half of the gargant
Posted Image

Thanks for looking boyz
:cheers
Lorax

GORSKARGA

GORSKARGA

Snotroom

• Grotz
  • 47 posts
  • Army Name:Da BloodJawz
i can't wait to see how this turns out. it's like watching a baby be born.
strap on a 'elmet and start shootin

hakbash

hakbash

WAAAGH da...

• Nobz
  • 6,336 posts
  • Army Name:Hakbash's Goff tribe, da Iron Gobs
Cookie...sheesh 5x posting, never seen that before....must have really liked what ya saw ya zogger. :cheers Lorax nice shambling pile of junk. I love the cobbled together gargant ya got going there brother. Very nice use of the power plant kit. It is a little hard to get an overall impression of what this monster is going to look like. But that will change once you lay some primer on those recycled bitz. Keep up the good werk ya zogger. Jobs a gud un. :thumbs WAAAGH! da shambling gargants
"If yer aint green, black wearin, check luvin, ded ard, smack talkin, PK hackin, choppa swingin, killa kan stompin, slug pistol shootin, skar covered, grot kickin, dread bashin, skumgrod krumpin, close combat machines den yer aint proppa." - Hakbash

WAAAGH! Da...

Warlord Hakbash

'Ard Boy

• Freebooterz
  • 863 posts
Well the gargant is now standing on some new feet. Add toe like peices onto the bottom, and bulked it out a little bit. Hakbash as you mentioned this thing will look a little better when primed. My builds have a tendancy to be difficult to see, ontop of that I am not a particularly good macro photographer.

Here are the new feet
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Thanks for looking
Lorax

Ug Thok

Ug Thok

Flash Git

• Bad Moonz
  • 1,040 posts
Lorax: Da MacGyver uv da Waaagh! It looks like you have a whole monster making studio there. The toes make it look even stompier! Great progress on this...though I look forward to seeing it in primer for the same reasons hakbash stated ;)
Easy Waaaghers
Da DurDregga

Behind Brother-Captain Bob, a great rift opened from the void, and space elves hopped out with cookies. In their time of greatest peril, Craftworld Keebler came to the Mon Keigh. Unfortunately for both, this would be no ordinary bake sale.

Ug Thok

Ug Thok

Flash Git

• Bad Moonz
  • 1,040 posts
Lorax: Da MacGyver uv da Waaagh! It looks like you have a whole monster making studio there. The toes make it look even stompier! Great progress on this...though I look forward to seeing it in primer for the same reasons hakbash stated ;)
Easy Waaaghers
Da DurDregga

Shadow

Shadow

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,417 posts
  • Army Name:Rust Ridge Raidaz
Its completely out there, zonking mad! :thumbs I like it. I think you should start on the finer details now. Little hatches, pipes (smaller ones), rivets, armor plating, stick it on there. Its definitely coming together, and it will look even better once you paint it. Or at least get it primed. :! Shade
Of course all my topics are pic heavy, you know why? because people don't want to open 12 hyperlinks a page! it stands to reason

"The act of converting is not a matter of creating the best weapon ever, its creating the best weapon ever but by using bits and pieces that anyone can use but no one has ever thought use in that way."

- Shadow.

Grimbadd Zaggasnikk

Grimbadd Zaggasnikk

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 293 posts
  • Army Name:Grimbadd Zaggasnikk's Blitz Boyz
that looks really good, great job one thing I would say though, the upper right arm & especially the shoulder needs to be bulked up as at the moment it seems that the gargant would simply not be able to move the arm.

Gorzag Gofasta

Gorzag Gofasta

telescoping arm

• Evil Sunz
  • 485 posts
That's fast work! It's out of the ashes (or junkheap). It really is a shame about the diving suit gargant, but I have an idea my suggestion is to take the broken pieces that you won't use for this new model, and make a terrain piece out of it. It could be just the head and some scraps sticking out of the mud / water. If you want to give clear resin another go, let the mix sit out in direct sunlight for as much of the day as possible, and then seal it with spray to get rid of the tack. Of course, I think everyone wants to see this current bad boy completed and primed up first.
"You ladz is too slow for proppa krumpin."

(Avatar by Krooza)

'Ard Boy

• Freebooterz
  • 863 posts
Well so it is in the paint shop. I have done the bulk of the painting. Next is a little more weathering and some more paint onto the power plant of the beast. I also have yet to attach the legs. I am thinking of using some of the rare earth magnets in order to leave the legs detachable (for transport). Any suggestions as to the size/strength necessary?

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image