Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

tactics

20 replies to this topic

det

det

Phobiak

• Blood Axez
  • 2,221 posts
  • Army Name:Snake Korps
Well, i'm not a cpu guru...but occasionally i play something. Never in the net though...so i picked up DoW...and was wondering on how to play at higher then "normal" level. I started and are quite ok using a unit of sluggas with bigmek to capture the first objective and harrass the enemy a fair bit while i build up to flash gitz. And usually when up to vehicles i go for a couple of trukks with nobz inside and 2 looted wagons. (I'm a blood axe after all!) But i'm not soo good with strategies vs different races. Any help?? I usually use extensively the pile'o'gubbinz...is it worth? Thanx :biggrin

modelling: my completely completed stuff

gaming: 1850 mech blood axes list updated

fluff: what being blood axes is all about
--------------------
looting other races: tautechmarines (other site thread)

Zagursnik

Zagursnik

Loots from da Lootaz

• Freebooterz
  • 2,558 posts
  • Army Name:Orks of da Pink Floyd
Oh yeah, ya gotta get all the upgrades you can otherwise you'll get krumped hard, plus thats how ya get pk's for the nobs. I dont bother much with slugga boys other then 1 mob to attatch to Gorgutz, I go mostly shootaz, nobs & flash gitz. One thing to remember when fighting ppl who can go invisible= Gorgutz makes them appear. I'mslow & methodical when I play, I try not engage unless I have a significant area built up that I can fall back to for protection.
"I guess...Grot...you just gotta hold that ol' snazzgun in your hand and it all comes clear to you like it was for me that first time. That's when I knew my one true calling in life.

"And wut's dat Boss?"

"I'm a natural born flashgit kill-joy"

"Ask yourself, this is the age before mechanical weapons. How long does it take to kill 70,000 human beings with swords and spears one at a time? The answer seems to be about 6 hours." Richard Gabriel

det

det

Phobiak

• Blood Axez
  • 2,221 posts
I've noticed that usually keeping the enemy under pressure in the early stages of the game pays off a lot. Is this true in all difficulties? @zagursnik: thanx...i feared that it was necessary. The point is that usually i don't use vehicles cuz i max out on upgrades...and when i realise that i can afford vehicles, i've either won or lost the game already!

--------------------

Zagursnik

Zagursnik

Loots from da Lootaz

• Freebooterz
  • 2,558 posts
I dont know if it works for any other races (I dont know why it shouldnt) but I've noticed that when you save when your population is maxed out, when you load it again you're back down to like 14 or something and you can create more lads. Its doesnt seem to effect the vehicles though.
"I guess...Grot...you just gotta hold that ol' snazzgun in your hand and it all comes clear to you like it was for me that first time. That's when I knew my one true calling in life.

"And wut's dat Boss?"

"Ask yourself, this is the age before mechanical weapons. How long does it take to kill 70,000 human beings with swords and spears one at a time? The answer seems to be about 6 hours." Richard Gabriel

M4D 800YZ R00LZ!

M4D 800YZ R00LZ!

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 28 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh! Grom
My "tactikz" iz 2 make loadz ov tank bustaz, de're invizible an' hav rokkit launchers! :eek Also cover the map wiv minefieldz, dey not affekt ur troopz. But da golden rule for any game remainz "If at first ya don't succeed, cheat, cheat an' cheat again." :P
De only gudd beaky iz a dead beaky, or even betta a dyin' beakie wot tellz ya were iz matez iz.

92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

det

det

Phobiak

• Blood Axez
  • 2,221 posts
yes minefields are cool, i just make loads of those when my grots are doing nothing. And i too go for massed buztaz, very deadly vs small lone listening posts or a must vs big vehicles, baneblades and everything else.

--------------------

Nachgal

Nachgal

Loota Boy

• Boyz
  • 1,191 posts
I have found that 2 nob mobs (one with a warboss in it, one with a mek), backed up by some flash gits makes a nearly unstopable force. When attacking, use your warboss's "waaagh!" ability, to create some base destrying mayhem. Thats about as far as i got on my ork strat thought... i didnt much enjoy them i DoW.
Eldrad killcount: 1

det

det

Phobiak

• Blood Axez
  • 2,221 posts
try putting mad doks in all other units...and use them, ability and bomb ;)

--------------------

Nachgal

Nachgal

Loota Boy

• Boyz
  • 1,191 posts
Ah, yes the mad doks. Make sure that the flash gits have a mad dock each.
Eldrad killcount: 1

Mekboy dakka

Mekboy dakka

telescoping arm

• Deathskullz
  • 493 posts
What I always do is mass produce waaagh banners, defending my base with nobz, until I can get orky fort, then once I've got more sluggas, I pump out my full allocation of free slugga boyz.
Current projects:
BattleFortress from Baneblade!
Scratchbuilt warboss
Nobz Mob
Better scratchbuilt battlewagon

Support orkytown! Click here and here! Click one per day!
92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.
But then the question arises... Why was your looted wagon facing backwards?

4tonmantis

4tonmantis

Wartrukk Driver

• Deathskullz
  • 1,654 posts
  • Army Name:Dethskulls and Badmoons...verging more on Freebooters...
If this is campaign mode... I've found the technique of running your warboss at where you think their HQ building is and destroying it while claiming objectives in case he doesn't destroy it. Typically hitting their HQ building this early will keep them off of you and the Warboss can withstand a beating usually long enough to destroy the building, but at the very least long enough for you to have established a footprint. I build up Waagh Bannas for the guns and usually after every 4 waagh banners i build a generator. also, send your first foot unit to a relic with a builder... it will slow you down by about a minute but with the warboss doing his thing, this shouldn't matter. If you mean against people... I have no clue.. I usually sandbag but orks have a hard time against stealth units and if I were a player of non-greenskin origins.. I would swarm with stealth units to keep unit build costs beyond manageable levels. Be careful about setting your units to auto-build... you can end up never re-stocking your Req pool.
CODE
Originally Posted by Uthan the Perverse in 'Culture vs. Kultur: Thoughts on Orkish Society'
The Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst. Who are we to judge them? We panzee who have failed, or the Humans, on the road to ruin in their turn. And why? Because we sought answers to questions that an Ork wouldn't even bother to ask. We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude.

Check out my site and blog. Pardon the horrendous design.. it's a WiP

det

det

Phobiak

• Blood Axez
  • 2,221 posts
mass producing waaagh banners everywhere is cool, just to secure the objectives! free sluggas? never used that thing! how does it work? campain mode: warboss plus his powerfull retinue goes where you think the base is, as 4ton said. This just keeps the other off balance. About the relic thing...i'll keep that in mind! ;)

--------------------

Zagursnik

Zagursnik

Loots from da Lootaz

• Freebooterz
  • 2,558 posts

free sluggas? never used that thing! how does it work?

Its one of the last upgrades ya get from da pile o' guns. They're not entirely free, they cost resource pts. (4 I think) But if your population is already maxed out ya can't get any.

"And wut's dat Boss?"

crazy_mek

crazy_mek

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 7 posts
  • Army Name:da deff skwadd (BB), gargnobs ard' boyz (gorkamorka)
when playing any race, i tend to be a camper, putting all of my troops into a bottle-neck at the front of my base, and then building lots of turrets. i have also noticed that as the ork pop depends on men instead of units, if you get a lot of shooter boyz with a squad number of 4, then you can upgrade each one to have 3 heavy shooters. between 50 or so heavy shooters and the rest as tank busters, you have weapons to destroy almost anything!
GENERATION 2: The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment.

"I'z got da gud bitz fur dis figt, hahahahaha"

"Dis wud luk betta wiv sum flashy bitz!"

quotes from dawn of war big mek

det

det

Phobiak

• Blood Axez
  • 2,221 posts
good point crazy mek, never thought of it really!! ;)

--------------------

crazy_mek

crazy_mek

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 7 posts
  • Army Name:da deff skwadd (BB), gargnobs ard' boyz (gorkamorka)
Of course, a couple of units of flash gits never hurts :thumbs I also find that later on in the game when you have so much req that it does not matter any more, you can also build lots of unit producing buildings, set them to constantly produce units, then set the them to go strait to the enemies base. Pretty soon you will have a constant supply of 100 orks at a time moving to the enemy’s base, they are eventually worn down, and it supplies an easy victory. (I think I might exploit orks too much, it stops being fair after a while) i also find that to soften up an enemies before an assault, you should give a mad doc some fightin juice, send him at the enemies, he will survive long enough to reach there front line due to the juice, then he should plant a burna bomb. The doc will die very soon after, but lots of enemies (and even some light tanks) will be annihilated with him. This is when you start the assault. I find that these tactics work best against humies, but the tougher races will be more resistant to wearing down / burna bombs / heavy shootas.
GENERATION 2: The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment.

"I'z got da gud bitz fur dis figt, hahahahaha"

"Dis wud luk betta wiv sum flashy bitz!"

quotes from dawn of war big mek

Lugnut

Lugnut

Snotling

• Boyz
  • 121 posts
  • Army Name:Stompy Boyz
I used to play online alot, so for playing against other players, my advice is not to turtle and mass with ork (it's easy to do, but the other races can usually overpower orks in the very late game). orks are the strongest tier 2 race in dow and the first 2 expansions, so that's your best time to take control of the game. if you go for a mek shop, trakks with bomb chukas have extremely good disruption and are generally overlooked. i recommend getting used to early harassing (not an all-out rush though) and getting the fight started early on and keeping small skirmishes going throughout the game. hit and run, harass one side, back up to the waaagh banner and lp then hit with the other side. most people overlook trukks as useful transports especially on larger maps where the points are spread out further. big mek's teleporter is well worth it. also, LP and economic upgrades are well worth it in the long-run.

creontrip6

creontrip6

Throws the bomb, not the pin.

• Grotz
  • 4 posts
my taktic? its called the green tide... just build as many boys as i can send in the big mek and the warboss attached to some squad and send in every last boy you have... orks strength is that they build very fast and can dish out alot of punishment with just there basic unit,"slugga boyz"... enough of those guys and trust me, the base will fall in a matter of minutes... just rush em and if you feel like letting the battle go on for a bit destroy everything but there main base and then retreat... set up some boyz around em and just hold em there. i once made a guy quit because i would only let him have one control point and one generator... just take control of the field early on and you have em... good luck boyz 'eres to hopin' you have yourselves a right an' propa' WAAAGH!!! :cheers

green_ghost

green_ghost

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 236 posts
  • Army Name:Grim Snik's WAAAGH
the besy tatic (i think) is max out nobs flash gits meganobs loote tanks squigoths warboss meks. i build three normal troops(sluuga or shoota) earl just to keep me untill i get the army listed above. eventually i stop making weak slugga/shoota boys and stay with mainly just flash gits and nobs
Time to go chop a umie.

Alienerd

Alienerd

Wartrukk Gunner

• Grot Rebelz
  • 1,678 posts
  • Army Name:Rebel Grotz
My armies always consist of things like wartraks, sentinels, or vypers etc. See the pattern? I just use infantry as a distraction, then max out on the cheap building destroying fast vehicles (Krak Tempest speeders rule at this) and rush to base. The vypers and wartraks are best for this cos they can also disrupt infantry, and since missile launchers and most other vehicle owning weapons need to charge up, disrupting them buys you some time. Nobz and Flash Gitz for the win though.
How many kans can a killa kan kill if a killa kan can kill kans?

Reply to this topic