Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

3 Deffkoptas

* * * * * 2 votes

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

Warboss Zoggum

Warboss Zoggum

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 12 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh!!! Zoggum
Maybe you could throw on some winglets, like the old Cobra Attack Helicopter had. Either that, or more rokkitz...
Now's da time fer tearin' fings up!

OIC

OIC

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 270 posts
  • Army Name:Blak Stripz
Howdy.. Yeah im kinda new to the Waaargh! but i just had to say how much i like your choptas. I build a few myself. But only after failing to make them more like yours..great work and great use of the new parts..i cant wait to fill my bits box with the newer stuff. Ill post what i comeup with as its own as not to try and rob your post. OIC
Pic in sig removed by da HQ...

Gaf-Naz

Gaf-Naz

Mayor of Orktown

• Bad Moonz
  • 1,992 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh! Gaf-Naz, Da Inter-Hive Firm
Thanks for the feedback guys. :cheers

Warboss Zoggum - winglets it is. :thumbs At first I thought you said twiglets. ;)

Just got to decide between vertical fins (at right angles to the wings) or at 45 degrees and on the tips.

Managed to do a little more gubbinization of the engine/intakes. Also started wiring-up the kontrol panel to the worky bitz:
Posted Image

Mocked-up a new set of rotor blades for added choppiness (design looted from Targol):
Posted Image

Decided to stick with the single rotor for this model. No doubt I'll be building more koptas in future, so the double rotor idea will be stored away until then.

All C&C appreciated. :cheers
Ork Town III - Terrain building competition, sponsored by Ramshackle Games.

Do you need some 6th edition fortifications for your army, a new terrain piece or an 'armies on display' board?

Then build it, paint it, post it and move into "da orkiest town in da ooniverse", and have the chance of winning a prize!

Imladrith

Imladrith

Squigpipes

• Grotz
  • 68 posts
Your deathkopta looks incredibly cool! I especially like the engine parts and the rotors (the extra parts to increase the choppyness also greatly increase the orkyness!). I would change something to the tail though.. to me it seems too small compared to the rest of the model.. perhaps you could make it longer, or give it bigger finns(?) or something.. Except for this I think your model looks great! I might loot the idea if I decide to include some deth-koptas :biggrin Keep up the good work, Imladrith.
5th edition:

W/L/D
8/7/7

swampy

swampy

Steel Teef

• Boyz
  • 695 posts
  • Army Name:ash wastes arsonists
That looks absolutely awesome i love the choppa blades and all the different bits you've used work really well together, great stuff, with those buzzsaws thats definitely the squadron leader really nice model man :thumbs
"I Luv da smell uv prome-ee-fee-um in da mornin'!"

Gaf-Naz

Gaf-Naz

Mayor of Orktown

• Bad Moonz
  • 1,992 posts

Imladrith - the tail is a little small, but I wanted to keep the size of my kopta to jetbike proportions and not the same size as a landspeeder. Ended up getting bigger though. :/

Managed to do a little more work. Shaped and added damage to the rotor blades and attached them. Added the winglets and glyphs to the wings, plus some teef and a bad moon to the front

Posted Image
Posted Image

The only major bits left to do are a method for attaching the bomb and adding the landing gear. Still not decided whether I'll have wheels, skids or both. Teknikally, I think an autogryo needs wheels as it's not capable of vtol. I might just stick with skids though as there's not much room underneath the model - must be launched off a ramp. :yes

Must get this finished by Saturday as I've a trukk to paint and GTA's release date is getting closer and closer. ;)

Apart from the landing gear, can anyone see anything that's missing or needs adding to?

Do you need some 6th edition fortifications for your army, a new terrain piece or an 'armies on display' board?

Then build it, paint it, post it and move into "da orkiest town in da ooniverse", and have the chance of winning a prize!

4tonmantis

4tonmantis

Wartrukk Driver

• Deathskullz
  • 1,654 posts
  • Army Name:Dethskulls and Badmoons...verging more on Freebooters...
all I can think when I look at this is how bad of an idea an ejection seat would be for a helicopter... you should totally put an eject button... maybe with a glyph like the eject button on a dvd player
CODE
Originally Posted by Uthan the Perverse in 'Culture vs. Kultur: Thoughts on Orkish Society'
The Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst. Who are we to judge them? We panzee who have failed, or the Humans, on the road to ruin in their turn. And why? Because we sought answers to questions that an Ork wouldn't even bother to ask. We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude.

Check out my site and blog. Pardon the horrendous design.. it's a WiP

Greven

Greven

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 438 posts
  • Army Name:Generul Gobgar's DeffSkwadron
beyond the shadow of a doubt the best deffcopta i've ever seen, the huge amount of detailing on the engine and all is just great one quiestion though, where is the tail rig from?
Dere is a new ork god, 'is name is Fork. and 'e brings revelusjonery teknologee
Fork

for any mek there is no clear line between werk and wrek

Gobsmakk'd

Gobsmakk'd

Gyro Stabilised Monowheel

• Deathskullz
  • 548 posts
  • Army Name:Da Ska' Vengaz (Deff Skullz)
Absolutely fantastic Gaf, congratulations. Pity you won't win a something for this effort (from a competition on this forum, I mean). How about a chin-mounted FLIR turret under one side of the nose, or a ball FLIR turret mounted on top of the rotor hub like some modern anti-tank copta's, with an extra-large git-finda instead of the FLIR sensor?

big boss gold toof

big boss gold toof

Grot Rigger

• Boyz
  • 172 posts
  • Army Name:WAAAGH .......What ever I feel like at the time !!!
Amazin work as ususal Gaf, i think that skids would be a good idea because it justifies the need for the jet engine, elpecially if its gunna be launched off a ramp;). may i ask how long this build take, coz its one hell of a great build n belive i will loot your design. :cheers Gold Toof
If You can't Beat 'Um... Use A Bigga Stick

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,752 posts
  • Army Name:Thousand Tribes Waaagh
Pure, unadulterated awesome, Gaf-Naz. Excellent use of bitz and detailing. The only one tiny thing I would do is point the chain saws inward at a 45 so they look like they're ready to bump things off to the side as he runs into them. As they are now they look sort of stabby and that would imply the pilot uses a certain amount of finesse in their application. ;) Brilliant piece, man.
Orks -- comic relief in the grim darkness of the far future.

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

A wise grot knowz da roolz of Da Waaagh and obeyz dem.

Kr00zA

Kr00zA

Grumpy ole Git

• Goffz
  • 9,989 posts
  • Army Name:Big Berk'z Bashaz
The Kopta is so damn nice I wet meself just a little when I looked at it. The detailing is spot on. The engine is great and I like the fact u got a it of epic in there too. Not overly keen on the chain-saw blades though.
Nuf Said.

Avatarz by KroozA and Animated Avatarz by KroozA ... Please dont link directly to them. Save one and upload it to the forum.

Gaf-Naz

Gaf-Naz

Mayor of Orktown

• Bad Moonz
  • 1,992 posts

4ton - there's a big button on the kontrol panel - I'll see if I can paint the eject symbol on it. ;)

Greven - the tail strut is from an epic gargant. Used to support a weirdboy tower.

Gobsmakk'd - no more weapons for this one - but I am going to make some big shootas to interchange with the rokkits. Will keep your ideas for my next kopta. :thumbs

big boss gold toof - has taken the whole month to build, but I spend 50% of my modelling time just staring at a build, mocking-up ideas or rummaging through bitz boxes.

Mad Grot / Kr00zA - the chainsaws are probably my least favourite part - may adjust them at the end of the build.

Small update - shaped and attached the struts for the landing skids:
Posted Image

Tacked on some skids:
Posted Image

I attached the skids as close to the body of the choppa as possible to keep the compact and fast look. I might make them pointed and a little thinner though.

jACE

jACE

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 226 posts
This IS a Deff-Kopta! Great build in every way. :thumbs

If you're not sure about the buzzsaws, why don't you try round-bladed ones mounted more to the front?

4tonmantis

4tonmantis

Wartrukk Driver

• Deathskullz
  • 1,654 posts
  • Army Name:Dethskulls and Badmoons...verging more on Freebooters...
you might want to put a spiked plate on the front of the skids... for landing on skumgrods and the like :)
CODE
Originally Posted by Uthan the Perverse in 'Culture vs. Kultur: Thoughts on Orkish Society'
The Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst. Who are we to judge them? We panzee who have failed, or the Humans, on the road to ruin in their turn. And why? Because we sought answers to questions that an Ork wouldn't even bother to ask. We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude.

Check out my site and blog. Pardon the horrendous design.. it's a WiP

Gaf-Naz

Gaf-Naz

Mayor of Orktown

• Bad Moonz
  • 1,992 posts
It's 5am, time to stop mekkin and think about bed. :biggrin

Apart from the base and finding a magnet to attach the bomb, I think this is pretty much complete.

Added wear and tear to the skids and attached them (very fiddly). Stuck on a few more gubbinz and a ton of rivets. Gave the pilot a choppa and looted the idea from KroozA of having him dropping stikk bommz on the skumgrods below:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Tomorrow (today) I'm starting on painting my trukk which is the other part of my threat this month.

Will base the kopta and make any final additions next week so all C&C appreciated. :cheers

Manik

Manik

Squighound

• Boyz
  • 113 posts
  • Army Name:Les kr├óneurs
Best kopta i've seen ! I really like the engine and the design of the whole thing. A buzzsaw might be too much, but i don't think "too much" is in ork language.
Orkatitude
QUOTE (CannibalBob)
An ork does not think he is better than you, he knows it.

Tonzateef

Tonzateef

Dah Black Market Boss

• Nobz
  • 4,628 posts
  • Army Name:Dah Sininst'r Blue Moon Tribe of dah Bad Moon Clan.
Down right impressive Gaf-Naz! :thumbs I can but simply echo the others and say that this is by far the best Deff-Kopta I've seen. Everything on it just seems to blend perfectly. My favorite bit on it though has to be the tail, from the Epic model. :yes That's just such a great use of it. I'll anxiously await to see you paint this... and then offer loads of teef for it when you'z done. ;)
The Waaagh FAQ - READ IT!

Come on down to ol' Warlord Thrunzdar Tonzateef's Used Weaponz and Vehicles Em-pore-E-ummm. We got low low prices on all Kustom Mega Blastas, Big Shootas, Rokkits, and Powerklaws. And don't forget, if you don't take advantage of Tonza's low prices...Tonza will take advantage of you.

-Tonzateef

Gaf-Naz

Gaf-Naz

Mayor of Orktown

• Bad Moonz
  • 1,992 posts

I'll anxiously await to see you paint this... and then offer loads of teef for it when you'z done. ;)

Well you've waited 4 years Tonza - hope the wait was worth it! ;)

Part of my threat this month is to paint my scratchbuilt kopta and 2 AOBR koptas I've since built to go with it.

Painted all the metalwork in Boltgun Metal and washed with Vallejo Smoke. The yellow areas have had 2 thinned coats of Iyanden Darksun and then 2 thinned coats of 50/50 Iyanden Darksun and Sunburst Yellow.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Applying decals and weathering the yellow tomorrow. Hope to get the bases painted too.

:cheers

Taytonclait

Taytonclait

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 326 posts
I absolutely love that kustom 'kopter, and I can see why you didn't make 3 of them (all acceptably different from each other) with the labour you must have put into the first one! Yeesh! Once I got past all the engine work I really really do love the 'hockey stick' look of the blades, they really sell the model! Excellent!
Smash 'em, Bash em, Skin em alive!!