Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

3 Deffkoptas

* * * * * 2 votes

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

Gaf-Naz

Gaf-Naz

Mayor of Orktown

• Bad Moonz
  • 1,992 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh! Gaf-Naz, Da Inter-Hive Firm
Had some spare time this evening so I managed to make an early start to my threat for April.

Having seen alot of great deff-koptas in the Mek's Garage recently I've decided to take Gaf-Naz's Inter-Hive Firm into the air. I was tempted by the jetbike design but decided on the classic gyrocopter look as I think it'll suit my army better - plus I've been drooling over the klassik koptas by Kr00zA and the Snake for some time, and loved 'Little Nellie' in the Bond films and the gyro in Mad Max.

Started by using the dozer-blade gubbinz from the oomie tank accessory sprue as a frame. Added a plasticard box to the rear to house the engine, with oomie barrels for air in-takes and a jet exhaust from a beakie landspeeder:
Posted Image

Mock-up with bluetack what I have in mind at the moment:
Posted Image

On-top of the russ wheel is a chopped-up WHFB wheel which will act as the hub for the plasticard prop blades. The tail is a strut from an Epic gargant and the pilot looted from my ever depleting Trukk kit.

I plan to add a tail rotor, landing skids, rokkits, buzz-saw and possibly big bombz. I'll also extend the cockpit to form a gob shape, which will house the kontrols and look ded 'ard.

Sporadic updates to follow. All C&C appreciated. :cheers

Edited by Gaf-Naz, 20 April 2012 - 07:55 PM.

Ork Town III - Terrain building competition, sponsored by Ramshackle Games.

Do you need some 6th edition fortifications for your army, a new terrain piece or an 'armies on display' board?

Then build it, paint it, post it and move into "da orkiest town in da ooniverse", and have the chance of winning a prize!

Steelmage99

Steelmage99

Steel Teef

• Boyz
  • 698 posts
  • Army Name:Gark Razguh
That looks really good. I think an "Iron gob"-style cockpit would be awesome. LOOTED! :thumbs

DavicusPrime

DavicusPrime

Grot Slave

• Boyz
  • 148 posts
  • Army Name:<Enter Warboss's Name Here>'s Freebootin' Gitz
Dats a gud wun! Of all the Deffcopters I've seen on this site since the codex came out I think I like the look of your design the best. Even if I don't have plans of adding any Deffcopters anytime soon I think I'm going to copy your basic design for the heck of it. Me likes. Also looted! -DavicusPrime

Nexus

Nexus

Flash Git

• Blood Axez
  • 1,100 posts
Nice work so far, I look forward to seeing how this one turns out :thumbs Will you keep those buckles on the sides of the barrel halves?
This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.

4tonmantis

4tonmantis

Wartrukk Driver

• Deathskullz
  • 1,654 posts
  • Army Name:Dethskulls and Badmoons...verging more on Freebooters...
might I suggest adding a second rotor coming from the top of the first? a double blade design would be swell :)
CODE
Originally Posted by Uthan the Perverse in 'Culture vs. Kultur: Thoughts on Orkish Society'
The Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst. Who are we to judge them? We panzee who have failed, or the Humans, on the road to ruin in their turn. And why? Because we sought answers to questions that an Ork wouldn't even bother to ask. We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude.

Check out my site and blog. Pardon the horrendous design.. it's a WiP

Nexus

Nexus

Flash Git

• Blood Axez
  • 1,100 posts
Double rotor idea is a good one :thumbs

Another idea you could use for the rotors is to have them powered by angled jet engines, like the bizarre German WW2 VTOL aircraft called the Triebflugel.

Gaf-Naz

Gaf-Naz

Mayor of Orktown

• Bad Moonz
  • 1,992 posts
Thanks for the feedback guys. :thumbs

Nexus - those straps on the barrels are for the chop - forgot to remove them when I had a gluing frenzy. ;) I plan to add some external pipework to the barrels to make them more gubbinized.

4ton - good suggestion. I expect I'll do the rotors last so I can judge what size will look best. When I get to that point I'll mock-up a double rotor and see how it looks.

Mocked-up what I've currently got planned - likely to change though, and no rotor blades shown:
Posted Image

All C&C appreciated. :cheers

Do you need some 6th edition fortifications for your army, a new terrain piece or an 'armies on display' board?

Then build it, paint it, post it and move into "da orkiest town in da ooniverse", and have the chance of winning a prize!

Gaf-Naz

Gaf-Naz

Mayor of Orktown

• Bad Moonz
  • 1,992 posts
Managed to get a bit more done. :thumbs

Attached the tail and pilot, and started on the cockpit. Replaced the russ wheel rotor-shaft with an 'oomie searchlight back. Scrapped the idea of a tail rotor and added a big fin instead. Also attached the 'wings' and underslung rokkit launchas (going to make interchangeable big shootas).
Posted Image

Mocked-up the rotors with blue-tack:
Posted Image

Still not sure whether to add a 2nd set of rotorblades ontop - think it may be a little ott, even for me. ;)

Definitely planning on making the blades into choppy shapes - looted from Targol.

More tomorrow. All feedback appreciated. :cheers

4tonmantis

4tonmantis

Wartrukk Driver

• Deathskullz
  • 1,654 posts
  • Army Name:Dethskulls and Badmoons...verging more on Freebooters...
hmm... this build seems much more clean and straightforward than your other builds... perhaps it's too early to make that call though ... hm...

the second set of rotors would require some extra creativity... like perhaps something akin to a bike pedal... anyway...it's your build and if it feels OTT then hey, go with your instincts!

aside from that... needs lots of wires n stuff... here's a pic of the guts of a military helicopter
Posted Image
CODE
Originally Posted by Uthan the Perverse in 'Culture vs. Kultur: Thoughts on Orkish Society'
The Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst. Who are we to judge them? We panzee who have failed, or the Humans, on the road to ruin in their turn. And why? Because we sought answers to questions that an Ork wouldn't even bother to ask. We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude.

Check out my site and blog. Pardon the horrendous design.. it's a WiP

Nexus

Nexus

Flash Git

• Blood Axez
  • 1,100 posts
The headlight bit definately fits in better than the wheel :thumbs Now that I look more closely at the frame bit you've based the kopta on it has those nice little piston bits on the top of it that I think would be good for adapting into a fuel injection system for the jet. You could bend some rod for pipework and link them to the angular protruding parts of the nozzle, I've drawn what I mean on the picture below but I think it'd look better if you could put a pipes leading to all of the angular bits rather than just two of them as I've drawn. I think another good addition would be to add something to the nozzle to make it a bit less flat, a simple ring or several fin-like bits would look good. Look forward to seeing more work :cheers

Gaf-Naz

Gaf-Naz

Mayor of Orktown

• Bad Moonz
  • 1,992 posts
Thanks for the feedback guys. :thumbs 4ton - I agree that the design isn't as "wacky" as some of my other builds - I'm finding it more challenging working on a smaller model - it's already bigger than I had planned. I plan to add alot of wiring and gubbinz to the barrels to make them look more like engine parts. The pic you posted will be very useful - thanks. Nexus - I think I understand what you're suggesting - where did the pic you mentioned disappear to? ;) I'm toying with the idea of a fuel tank at the rear, under the speeder exhaust, so I should be able to connect it up to the frame's 'pistons' and the barrels. Hopefully an update to come tonight. :cheers

Nexus

Nexus

Flash Git

• Blood Axez
  • 1,100 posts
It would appear that I never uploaded it and then this morning deleted it because I didn't think I needed it anymore :blush Here's a quick version of what I drew, you can see the pipe extending from the piston bit and connecting to the jet nozzle. I tried redrawing it with ones going to each angular bit of the nozzle but it got a bit muddled and messy. modified.JPG

Gaf-Naz

Gaf-Naz

Mayor of Orktown

• Bad Moonz
  • 1,992 posts
Managed to get some more done to my Kopta. :thumbs

Ditched the idea of a buzzsaw at the front and went with wing-mounted saws (from Catachan Sentinels). Also boxed in the front of the cockpit, started on the kontrol panel (trukk controls plus auspex), commenced gubbinization of the engine/intakes and replaced the old prop-shaft with the end of the ccw from the Bike kit.
Posted Image

The big bomb is currently tacked in place - gas cylinder from a Tamiya kit with a russ wheel on the end. Will get fins and an orky face.

The landing skids (or possibly wheels) (or possibly both) are next to be built.

Close-up of the enginey-gubbinz. Plan to add a few more cables and bitz:
Posted Image

Mek Wing-Nutz got the engines working:
Posted Image

Nexus - thanks for the piccie. I used your idea for the afterburner injectors. :thumbs

More this weekend. All C&C appreciated. :cheers

Snotslagz

Snotslagz

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 52 posts
  • Army Name:not sure... yet
This is awesome Gaf-Naz. I have a feeling that GW's death kopta's will be very similar in design to yours, w/o the working engine.
'ERE WE GO!

Gaf-Naz

Gaf-Naz

Mayor of Orktown

• Bad Moonz
  • 1,992 posts

This is awesome Gaf-Naz. I have a feeling that GW's death kopta's will be very similar in design to yours, w/o the working engine.

I'd be happy if they are, but I have a feeling they'll be alot smaller and more like jetbikes than gyrocopters (hope I'm wrong).

Must point out - the rotors spin freely, but aren't powered (I flicked them before taking the pic). Would love to motorise and light all my models, but then I'd never get anything finished. ;)

Nexus

Nexus

Flash Git

• Blood Axez
  • 1,100 posts
Love it :biggrin The curly pipework is a nice touch, it looks like the pilot could easily use it to build a still if he crashes or gets too sober to fly :lol

Deff Korp Of KRIEG

Deff Korp Of KRIEG

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 412 posts
  • Army Name:Grimsnagas Iron Clad Armoured Brigade
dude, that is awesome, I love the spinning copter blade, his seat is cool, looks like an ejector, simply awesome :biggrin one thing though may I suggest is that and some wing flaps, just to my it more werky' than just flat peices of metal
Grow old or die trying...
DKoK

kreell

kreell

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 28 posts
love your engine, the gubbins are really proppa :thumbs and nice use of the biker bitz for your rotor, it's a perfect piece

Zog

Zog

Wants Panzies

• Bad Moonz
  • 484 posts
  • Army Name:Zogs Boyz
This is one sweet build Gaf-naz. :thumbs Your attention to detail is great. I just cant place that tail bit whats it off? :cheers
Gone crazy.... Back soon....

Gaf-Naz

Gaf-Naz

Mayor of Orktown

• Bad Moonz
  • 1,992 posts
Thanks for the feedback guys. :thumbs Zog - the tail is the support strut for a weirdboy tower off of the back of an epic Mega Gargant. I've had a copy of Titan Legions sitting under my bed for years - slowly being cannibalized for great bitz. Death Korp - I agree that the wings are to bare at the moment - have considered flaps but may just add some upright fins and/or wiring. More thinking to do. Nexus - I guess the pilot can taste the squig fuel to see if the mix is right. ;) Updates hopefully tomorrow. :cheers