Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Scratch built mega armor

* * * * * 1 votes

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
38 replies to this topic

drabber

drabber

Stainless Steel Skull

• Boyz
  • 560 posts
  • Army Name:the Orkin Armada
After looking through the codex I realized that I need atleast one more mega armored nob for a complete squad, and it'd be nice to have a few more.

So I broke apart one of mine, took a few measurments and came up with this...
Posted Image

I'm doing this not to cut costs but really just to see if I could do it, and to have ones with much more posability than the stock models, with out having to cut the bulky metal bodies and rebuild sections...

I'd like to get this out of the way right out of the gate;

I'm making this set of templates for myself. I don't think this forum likes to be the center for distributing this sort of thing, so I put what I've done on BWC

I'd love if other people helped to refine the designs, and I'd love to see some other results/variations from them, but I'm not sure how the mods feel about doing that here, so I'm thinking they are best left somewhere else. Please don't just reply with "I can has template?" because I am not going to post them here unless a mod approves it first.

after gluing it all together with a bit of copper armature wire I had this...
Posted Image

There was a bit of a size creep, I think because I didn't account for the thickness of the plasticard, so its a tad bigger than the origonal, but it'll be nice have a bit of variation in the mob.

Posted Image

gallery

not too bad for a day's work, eh?

next step: arms

Drew Da Destroya!

Drew Da Destroya!

'Ead Graft

• Speed Freaks
  • 714 posts
  • Army Name:None, yet, still workin on my Fluff
Cool idea. I'm interested in seeing how it turns out.
However, as we know, Gorkamorka favours the hopeless optimist and players who hold back on their shots should be jeered loudly.

Got Bitz?

Got Bitz?

Snotling

• Boyz
  • 121 posts
Wow, thats a great idea! I've always hated the prospect of buying meganobs that cost that much, so I'm happy to see it works. Have every intention of blatantly looting your idea, assuming you don' mind of course. :biggrin

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,752 posts
  • Army Name:Thousand Tribes Waaagh
Really nice job, drabs (as always, man :thumbs ). Nightserpent did the same just a little while back... lessee, here it is! Although he didn't try to make a template for it. Cool stuff, with the template you should be able to get at least a little variation in poses.
Orks -- comic relief in the grim darkness of the far future.

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

A wise grot knowz da roolz of Da Waaagh and obeyz dem.

Zagursnik

Zagursnik

Loots from da Lootaz

• Freebooterz
  • 2,564 posts
  • Army Name:Orks of da Pink Floyd
:thumbs Good job drabber! This has been the one tutorial thats missing from this site. I think I'll be adding making a few of these to next months threat.
"I guess...Grot...you just gotta hold that ol' snazzgun in your hand and it all comes clear to you like it was for me that first time. That's when I knew my one true calling in life.

"And wut's dat Boss?"

"I'm a natural born flashgit kill-joy"

"Ask yourself, this is the age before mechanical weapons. How long does it take to kill 70,000 human beings with swords and spears one at a time? The answer seems to be about 6 hours." Richard Gabriel

drabber

drabber

Stainless Steel Skull

• Boyz
  • 560 posts
Mad Grot - Thank you! I hadn't seen those before, thats some really inspiring work...

Zagursnik, Got Bitz? - Please, loot away! I'd love to see how these look coming out of another mek's shop.

I finished the arms and put it all together.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I think this is as far as I need to take the template build, from here on its just a matter of detailing and such.

Mekboy Wuzzat Shiny-fing, making adjustments to several suits of Mega Armor with his Attenshun Spanna...
Posted Image

and a size comparison...

Posted Image

I also traced the scanned parts in illustrator and turned them into some really nice templates, and put them on BWC.

I've gotten so many ideas while working on this, finishing my horrOrk MA mob, building a robotech cyclone style suit, starting a deffwing, etc...

now where to begin?

warface

warface

Throws the bomb, not the pin.

• Grotz
  • 2 posts
Super Idee. Modell sieht wirklich toll aus!!!! Prima. Freue mich schon das Modell fertig zu sehen.

lord opium

lord opium

Vampire Squig

• Boyz
  • 108 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh Urok
looks realy good, are you going to make the weapons out of plasticard too?

Metaphorazine

Metaphorazine

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 226 posts
  • Army Name:Da Buhg Smashaz!
Looks good, are you going to sculpt the arms and legs or use standard boy plastics?

drabber

drabber

Stainless Steel Skull

• Boyz
  • 560 posts
Warface - Danke und lassen Sie mich den ersten sein, zum des Willkommens zum waaagh zu sagen. Traurig, wenn mein Deutsch schrecklich ist, benutze ich Babel Fische. Lord opium - not sure, this is about as far as I'd actually planned. I chopped the bits I'd need for the weapons and have them ready to go on, a shoota and a choppa but I'm torn. Part of me really wants to see just how far I can go making him out of plasticard, the other part is filled with ideas for doing more of them, and doing it quickly, so its telling me bitz all the way. The head might get a spot of conversion, but its going to come out of the spearhead box. Metaphorazine - also not sure. The torso would be a very tight fit, so it'd hardly be worth wasting it, its definitely going to be a sculpted, might do the arms as well. I was thinking about trying to assemble the armor around a boy. I also thought it might be cool to scale up the design and build it around a troll or ogre... I tried out the new designs and I'm almost done with a second one... -drabber

the-zephyr

the-zephyr

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 30 posts
  • Army Name:Deff Sluggaz
NICE!!! I wanna see more, im gonna loot your idea!!! I mean if thats all good? Ive done up to the point you have got up to in this thread. Please keep going so I can follow your lead.
Waaagh eva go up mus' come down

julz127

julz127

Mendin' Squig

• Grotz
  • 73 posts
wow thats really nice! :biggrin
"Gentlemen!, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room." Dr. Strangelove

"There are 10 type of people & the world, those who understand binary and those who do not."

julz127

julz127

Mendin' Squig

• Grotz
  • 73 posts
wow thats really nice! :biggrin

"There are 10 type of people & the world, those who understand binary and those who do not."

drabber

drabber

Stainless Steel Skull

• Boyz
  • 560 posts
figured out how I'm going to do this...

This one is going to be as scratch-built as possible, and will likely take me forever. with a head...

Posted Image

Posted Image

This one I just want to make fast and cool, so not going to limit myself... I did his GS, which took awhile, and a ton of GS. I need more, I ran out, but the beginning mass is there.

Posted Image

I am having trouble deciding which head to use. I want him to look a bit like Leatherface from Texas chainsaw Massacre, Any ideas?

Posted Image

Posted Image

It needs a bit more armor for the streached face,( since the ork's head would be in the way)

This makes three horrorks in this MA squad. My plan is to eventually change the hockey masked one's arm to hold a machete, and build a lightning claw type powerklaw for the hatted one,

I've got 2 more in progress, but they need a seperate thread, I'll edit it in when I post it.

Rabtar

Rabtar

Tatter Stompin

• Goffs
  • 556 posts
  • Army Name:Da Grey Goffz
Top notch jorb on da scratch Mega Armor :thumbs . I love da pose on the un aswell. Much better then the slowly walking towards you pose :biggrin .
"Violence is not the answer ... but its a DAMN good start."
Unknown
"I AM A SEXY SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!!"
Belkar Bitterleaf
"I represent angry gun toting meat eating f--king people!"
Denis Leary

DA GREY GOFFZ

W=95 T=6 L=16

julz127

julz127

Mendin' Squig

• Grotz
  • 73 posts
There Awsome but i think they need their iron gobs nicely posed as well um... i cant seem to find your templates on 'BWC' do i have to be a member of bwc to get them? maybe you could email them to me jul1278@gmail.com thanks.

Boss Bolt Axe

Boss Bolt Axe

Steel Teef

• Bad Moonz
  • 675 posts
  • Army Name:Bolt's Of Speed
Yes you do need to join, and they have shed loads of other templates as well. I'm in the proccess of makeing my own MAN so I'll start posting pics soon
Battles Of 2008
W:2 L:0 D:0

The panzee... The Deep Space version of the French

Loves
Other
Ork's
Totally
Ed-banging
Designs

Zagursnik

Zagursnik

Loots from da Lootaz

• Freebooterz
  • 2,564 posts
  • Army Name:Orks of da Pink Floyd
I dont know about the chaos possesd armour bit, The other one would do if it diddt have the goggles & that bit in the back where it looks tied. I bet if you paint it flesh colored w/ redy pinkish sticthes itll come out better. I loke the horrorks theme. VEry KILLY. Are you going repaint the other 2? freddy's sweater & whatever it is jason wears, blus jeans & flannel?)
"I guess...Grot...you just gotta hold that ol' snazzgun in your hand and it all comes clear to you like it was for me that first time. That's when I knew my one true calling in life.

"And wut's dat Boss?"

"I'm a natural born flashgit kill-joy"

"Ask yourself, this is the age before mechanical weapons. How long does it take to kill 70,000 human beings with swords and spears one at a time? The answer seems to be about 6 hours." Richard Gabriel

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,752 posts
  • Army Name:Thousand Tribes Waaagh
You're gonna hate me for saying this, drabs, but his midsection needs to be shortened a tad. He's looking a bit gangly. And yes I realize he's going to bulk up as you finish the GS, it's just that he looks too tall for his maximum width.
Orks -- comic relief in the grim darkness of the far future.

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

A wise grot knowz da roolz of Da Waaagh and obeyz dem.

Mek Mint

Mek Mint

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 56 posts
  • Army Name:g
These are extremely impressive scratch builds man, they look just as good (if not better) than the original GW production. Kudos to you.