Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Grotnought

* * * * * 2 votes

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

Ghudra

Ghudra

telescoping arm

• Boyz
  • 493 posts
I have been looking into a bit of the Epic Armageddon lately and came across the profile for the Ork Grotnought in the Orkamedies Gargant Bigmob PDF. The discription reminds me a bit of the old Mekboy Tinbots from Epic and it looks like a good item to model so I'm giving it a whirl.

I liked what Nozeminer had done with the head on his "Noze Uv Dork" so, rather than going with the described Grot effigy of Mork/Gork, I'm going with a Grot-esque head. For da revulooshun!! :biggrin

Ye Olde Tinbot that I'm roughly basing this model on:
GNot_Insp__Medium_.JPG

The weapons loadout might get switched up just a tad because I really want to make a Snapper, but I'm not set on that if some other arrangement works better. I'm interested in working this more from the ground up and hope to build a fairly detailed & characterful interior for the model.

*Please note some WIP pics were lost in the server move*

Shadow

Shadow

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,417 posts
  • Army Name:Rust Ridge Raidaz
itsa strange one, but a gud start, perhaps some reconsideration on the nose? It looks like a rokkit has crashed into the back of his head and comicially ended up into his nose. Which is a cool idea but i don't think that was the idea you were going for. Perhaps overall, a smoother more pointed nose would be the best solution. shade
Of course all my topics are pic heavy, you know why? because people don't want to open 12 hyperlinks a page! it stands to reason

"The act of converting is not a matter of creating the best weapon ever, its creating the best weapon ever but by using bits and pieces that anyone can use but no one has ever thought use in that way."

- Shadow.

Ghudra

Ghudra

telescoping arm

• Boyz
  • 493 posts

itsa strange one, but a gud start, perhaps some reconsideration on the nose?

It looks like a rokkit has crashed into the back of his head and comicially ended up into his nose. Which is a cool idea but i don't think that was the idea you were going for.

Perhaps overall, a smoother more pointed nose would be the best solution.

The nose is still rough, but I thinned the width on the nostrils and put some of the other bits on. Dropping the nostril width seemed to put the shape more in line with what a Grot nose looks like.

Smoothing the whole surface out seems like it would be a move away from the "scavenged" look I'm shooting for to stay true to the background of having the Grotnought made up entirely of filched parts.

Good , bad, ugly?

Drew Da Destroya!

Drew Da Destroya!

'Ead Graft

• Speed Freaks
  • 714 posts
  • Army Name:None, yet, still workin on my Fluff
Ugly, but that's a good thing! I'm liking the nose now. Although the exhaust/nostril/shoota thing underneath the nose at first made me think the Grotnought had a squigar, and then thought it was chomping a big shoota, but mostly is just confusing me. Not sure where you're going with those.
However, as we know, Gorkamorka favours the hopeless optimist and players who hold back on their shots should be jeered loudly.

Ghudra

Ghudra

telescoping arm

• Boyz
  • 493 posts

Although the exhaust/nostril/shoota thing underneath the nose at first made me think the Grotnought had a squigar, and then thought it was chomping a big shoota, but mostly is just confusing me. Not sure where you're going with those.

Those would be nostril-mounted twin-linked big shootas! Feer da nose! :biggrin

The weapons loadout as per the PDF is 2X twin-linked big shootas, a Big Gun, and Kombat Klaws. I figured since "Klaws" sounds like both arms are spoken for and the Big Gun would likely end up in the belly, it semed like the head turret/hull would be a good location for the shootas.

zabznik

zabznik

Juicy Squig

• Grotz
  • 61 posts
  • Army Name:BIG SKULL SMASHAS
what is that gun made of the canon????? thing????
WAAAAAAGH SMASH DA UMMIEZZ

Ghudra

Ghudra

telescoping arm

• Boyz
  • 493 posts

what is that gun made of the canon????? thing????

Standard Lobba which was cut down a bit with a barrel extension tacked on.

Ghudra

Ghudra

telescoping arm

• Boyz
  • 493 posts
I finally got a break from travel and was able to work on the interior and other basic bits. I'm not totally sold on how to finish it, but I'm thinking about being able to take sections of armor off to reveal interior detail. I put in a strip styrene shell for shape and to guide placement of exterior plates down the road. I couldn't figure out a great spot for the large rounds that would be fed into the main gun, so I added a munitions door to the back of the Big Gun chassis. Later on I'll need to build that out on the backside of the model along with exhausts etc. grotnotNew_1.JPG Drivers cab detail with arm actuators & control cables: grotnotNew_2.JPG Overall shot with base plate for the cab front & twin-linked Big Shoota position. Most likely I'll need to adjust the pintel, but it depends on how the barrels come out. grotnotNew_3.JPG The head turret might get an interior as well if I can dig up a suitable Grot to cram in there. :biggrin

Zagursnik

Zagursnik

Loots from da Lootaz

• Freebooterz
  • 2,557 posts
  • Army Name:Orks of da Pink Floyd
I like the exposed super structure concept. being able to see the guns crew & pilot @ work give it a nice combat effective feel. When you do add the armour plating some gaping holes in 'em might be cool so you can still see inside w/ em on.
"I guess...Grot...you just gotta hold that ol' snazzgun in your hand and it all comes clear to you like it was for me that first time. That's when I knew my one true calling in life.

"And wut's dat Boss?"

"I'm a natural born flashgit kill-joy"

"Ask yourself, this is the age before mechanical weapons. How long does it take to kill 70,000 human beings with swords and spears one at a time? The answer seems to be about 6 hours." Richard Gabriel

Ghudra

Ghudra

telescoping arm

• Boyz
  • 493 posts
Added plating to the side I won't be able to remove. The plating is still being detailed, but I added rivitz & sections where rivitz have been popped off. Those stick-like things out in front will eventually support the belly ram that I'm working on. GrotTurret_1.JPG Basically finished up the major head turret detail and put some work into my "Wee Mek". GrotTurret_2__Medium_.JPG Closed up the cockpit and started on the exterior portion of the arm motors. It's going to be interesting converting some Grots to squeeze in there. :biggrin GrotTurret_3__Medium_.JPG Any C&C is welcome!

warboss zagger

warboss zagger

Kickin' Grot

• Boyz
  • 137 posts
  • Army Name:orks
Looks nice what theme are u gonna paint it? :rolleyes
"herr herr herr dat waz a great find lugstro now itz al mine!"

Zog

Zog

Wants Panzies

• Bad Moonz
  • 484 posts
  • Army Name:Zogs Boyz
I like it. :thumbs
Kinda Grot Stompa.
So you gonna do a Grot rebel Army? (see Dim i'm recuitin ;) )

Nice details
I'll be watchin dis.

:cheers
Gone crazy.... Back soon....

BigMek

BigMek

'Ead Graft

• Deathskullz
  • 712 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh! Tankchewa
A mini-stompa...so cute ^^ Love the fact that you've actually made the head of it look grot'ish, very nicely done :thumbs Keep at it, looking good!
I like to loot it loot it

The rulebook also doesn't say anything about beating people like this with their own army case. So, technically...

Nozeminer - In the "best cheat ever" thread.

Ghudra

Ghudra

telescoping arm

• Boyz
  • 493 posts
@Warboss Zagger, As far as traditional clan themes go, i'm undecided. Most of my stuff is either Goffs or Death Skulls, but I might take another route because this is all about the Grots!

@Zog, it's likely. :biggrin I'm in love with the newer (in my case) Gorkamorka era Grots and have been developing a force of sorts.

Ghudra

Ghudra

telescoping arm

• Boyz
  • 493 posts
With a momentary lapse of travelling I was finally able to get more work in on this project.

I finished the basic work on the gunner for the Big Shoota. Still a bit of sanding needed on the GS:
Gnot_Gunr__Medium_.JPG Gnot_Gunr2__Medium_.JPG

I pinned the feet so they can be posed, but this is about where the they will end up. Definitely going to wait on setting the pose till I get the arms finished up, but I ultimately want it to feel like it's bumbling along haphazardly. The front spikes are tacked on and some basics on the rear of the Grotnought as well:
GNot_Walk__Medium_.JPG GNot_Rear__Medium_.JPG

Closer view of some internals on the removable side and the start of my foot:
GNot_foot__Medium_.JPG

Loads of building still to do & any criticism/comments are welcome! :biggrin

wazzdakka gutzmeks

wazzdakka gutzmeks

Kickin' Grot

• Boyz
  • 139 posts
  • Army Name:shinie-fing's skrap snatchaz
Its good to see this back in buisness, what are you going to arm this thing with? LOOKING PROPPA THOUGH!! wazz
''when the going gets tough the grotz start runnin''

Founda of Da Skrap Snatchaz
W/D/L
5/2/3

DEFFSKULLZ FOREVER

Ghudra

Ghudra

telescoping arm

• Boyz
  • 493 posts

...what are you going to arm this thing with?

Right now I'm thinking about doing one arm up as a Snappa, possibly with a skorcha barrel inside. I always liked those on the old Gargants and it would be fun to make one. The other arm is either going to be a hammer or a lobster-ish klaw like the RT dred & Epic Tinbot.

dakan_eh

dakan_eh

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 6 posts
That's a nice grotnought mate cheers! :cheers

Zog

Zog

Wants Panzies

• Bad Moonz
  • 484 posts
  • Army Name:Zogs Boyz
He's back! :love this beastie. i am gonna have ta shamelessly loot some, if not all of yer ideas. Looking really good. I do hope you get time to finish it soon. I cant wait to see paint on it. :cheers
Gone crazy.... Back soon....

Ghudra

Ghudra

telescoping arm

• Boyz
  • 493 posts
Still maintaining my glacial pace, I got some bits in the mail and was able to start on the driver. After messing around with a few ideas, I decided it would probably make the most sense to have the driver wired into the chassis like a Kan. The servitors you can see on some of the Forge World Titans really were my inspiration and I plan on implementing quite a few more hoses & wires. Gnot_pilot1__Medium_.JPG Gnot_pilot2__Medium_.JPG Here is a top down & glacis shot of the driver & gunner in the cockpit. Gnot_pilot3__Medium_.JPG Gnot_pilot4__Medium_.JPG As always, C&C appreciated! :biggrin