Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Da SJ Squigz

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

drabber

drabber

Stainless Steel Skull

• Boyz
  • 560 posts
  • Army Name:the Orkin Armada
What could be more orky than a sport you play with blades on your feet, a big stick in your hands, and the ability to throw down your gloves and fight with the other players...

I started this quick team as a present for my GF. The plan is to make orky model representations of a few of her favorite Hockey players. Five players, a goal tender and mascot. Our team is the San Jose Sharks, btw.

I don't know much about bloodbowl, but thats the feel I'm going for with these guys. I'm going to sculpt their uniforms, and such. I'm planning to paint their names on the back and I'm even hoping to print some decals for the front of their jerseys, something like a squig in place of the shark.

Posted Image

Mascot - SJ Squiggy.
Posted Image

I'm going to make the squig head look like a plush/cartoony mask

Posted Image

Posted Image

Vlasic - gorkamorka boy, since hes a small guy compared to the other players...

Posted Image

Nabokov - goal tender, needs way more armor...

Posted Image

They are going to need helmets, which is proving tricky. I plan to add a chin strap, but I'm not sure its working... I need advice on this.

gallery of images

-drabber

Got Bitz?

Got Bitz?

Snotling

• Boyz
  • 121 posts
Seems like a pretty cool idea. I'd beef the hockey sticks up a bit, though, they look rather weedy atm. Remember, they're orks. They could probably wear axes on their feet if they wanted to. You gonna write rules for it?

Sukz Da' Nob

Sukz Da' Nob

Steel Teef

• Boyz
  • 683 posts
  • Army Name:Da' Butchas of Bavgad!!!
Cool idea! Can't wait to see these guys painted!!!
Ork Psychology and morale is directly linked to the number of boyz around them at any given time. Just like frat boys, only with more Dakka...

QUOTE (Mad Grot Docsnik @ Jun 26 2009, 09:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like the idea of it being under construction. "...and now witness the power of this fully armed and operational... STOMPA!"

Keg

Keg

'Ead Graft

• Deathskullz
  • 718 posts
  • Army Name:Keg'z Mek 'Eadz
Hah, looks funny. I think rules would be cool but I think a good ranged weapon for them would be bombs, like the sphere cartoony bombs you see on Looney Toons, and have them bat them into the opponent, I would say Range 12, strength 6 ap 6 small blast, but only two may be upgraded, kind of thing, good luck! Keg

drabber

drabber

Stainless Steel Skull

• Boyz
  • 560 posts
Gashbad was nice enough to dig up some BB hockey rules for me, sounds like a pretty fun game... Cross Check

I used up all my green stuff working on the helmets, jerseys and such. So while I wait for more to arrive I figured I'd post an update

Posted Image

Basically all thats left is gloves for them all, a few details, possibly a mask for the goal tender and a bit of smoothing. then I can get to painting...

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I started designing the decal I'm going to print for their jerseys, here is a big version and a small one, which should be close to the final size.
sj_squigs3.jpg
I'm still working on it, I think I need to simplify it so it reads at the small size, and I may change the color from orange, but I'm not sure yet.

C + C welcome

gallery

Doomfrog

Doomfrog

telescoping arm

• Boyz
  • 517 posts
  • Army Name:Waaaaagh Bamfoid
Sticks look realy big to me.. I know there more likly to, get 2min for slashing then score a a goal but those look almost un weildly.

Zagursnik

Zagursnik

Loots from da Lootaz

• Freebooterz
  • 2,564 posts
  • Army Name:Orks of da Pink Floyd

those look almost un weildly.

It seems that the blades are too long & wide. Although the back end of the looks nice as a shap angle rather then the usualy curve. Vlasics pose is dead on, like he just deeked some poor defensemen outta his skates.
"I guess...Grot...you just gotta hold that ol' snazzgun in your hand and it all comes clear to you like it was for me that first time. That's when I knew my one true calling in life.

"And wut's dat Boss?"

"I'm a natural born flashgit kill-joy"

"Ask yourself, this is the age before mechanical weapons. How long does it take to kill 70,000 human beings with swords and spears one at a time? The answer seems to be about 6 hours." Richard Gabriel

Gorfang

Gorfang

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 340 posts
Methinks the Sharks should start looking at changing their mascot to the squig...that decal just cracks me up.

drabber

drabber

Stainless Steel Skull

• Boyz
  • 560 posts
Update time!

Nearly got their jerseys smoothed, and pads done.
Posted Image

They each have one glove done, after they get their other glove and the glove's wrists are trimmed I think they'll be nearly there.
Posted Image
I've been cutting tiny bits of plasticard for the pads on the gloves.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The Goal tender needs a mask, not sure how to do it, yet. I could do an orky stylized one, classic Jason one, or a modern one...
Posted Image

gallery

C + C appreciated

-drabber

grimor'piel'ierro

grimor'piel'ierro

Growler (pet squig)

• Grotz
  • 92 posts
  • Army Name:Matasan0zZ
man... hokkey? what do u wont?

Nozeminer

Nozeminer

Glorifier of Grotz

• Deathskullz
  • 2,021 posts
  • Army Name:Snotbagz Nozeminerz
Nice idea. I'd put some spikes on the knuckles of the gloves though. And maybe would've had one with the gloves dropped and "ready ta go".
Yoo kin pikk yer Warboss an' yoo kin pikk yer noze. But, yoo kant pikk yer Warbossez noze.

"Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb."

Kromlech for all your Orky goodness.

Nozeminer Studioz

drabber

drabber

Stainless Steel Skull

• Boyz
  • 560 posts
Thats genious, I wish I'd come up with the "throwin the gloves down" pose when I started, thats one of the things making me want to make a second team. I shall have to keep a running log of more ideas for that team, after all who will Da Squigs have to compete wif unless I do it...

I am ready to call the sculpting on these guys done, ready to start painting...

Posted Image

I finished the gloves, and Heat gunned the sticks so they weren't so flat and straight, now they feel a bit more dented and used.

Posted Image

I modeled the Goalie's mask to look a bit like the modern masks, and a bit like a squig,

Posted Image

used a bit of Glazing putty to smooth out the GS work on their jerseys

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also I thought I'd share this;
Posted Image
I surprised her by hiring Sharkie to come out for her B-day party!

Any comments appreciated

More pics in the Gallery

I've primered them and started the tests for colors and the custom decals, VERY exciting, I think these guys are going to be alot of fun...

-drabber

Babyblue_d

Babyblue_d

Oily Squig

• Boyz
  • 107 posts
  • Army Name:Heavymetal Mayhem
NICE work ... cant wait to see them painted :cheers
"Sluga Boyz win waaaghz. Mek Boyz win battlez."
-Unclaimed graffiti attributed to a Deathskull Mek Boy

BABYBLUE D.
aka ... Deloo Pabet

Zagursnik

Zagursnik

Loots from da Lootaz

• Freebooterz
  • 2,564 posts
  • Army Name:Orks of da Pink Floyd
Glad to see ya get back to these. I like the new curved blades for the sticks, the rivets & nicks are a nice touch. Its a bit late but a PK or power fist might be cool for the goalie seein as how they do have that big catcher's mit. I do like the open squig gob mask :thumbs
"I guess...Grot...you just gotta hold that ol' snazzgun in your hand and it all comes clear to you like it was for me that first time. That's when I knew my one true calling in life.

"And wut's dat Boss?"

"I'm a natural born flashgit kill-joy"

"Ask yourself, this is the age before mechanical weapons. How long does it take to kill 70,000 human beings with swords and spears one at a time? The answer seems to be about 6 hours." Richard Gabriel