Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Warp'ead Loosenutz

* * * * * 2 votes

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Brother Prometheus

Brother Prometheus

Speckled Bloodshade Fungus

• Grotz
  • 17 posts
  • Army Name:Ultras, DE
Wow I like him alot :love

Warboss Gargog

Warboss Gargog

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 56 posts
  • Army Name:Gargog's Waaaggghhh
poor he, he got metal tingi stuck in da 'ead but i like him :thumbs
Special rules:
Teddy:
If da boss has Teddy he will gain 1+ ld

Help my new ork york click here and here click here!

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,752 posts
  • Army Name:Thousand Tribes Waaagh
I'm no expert, Oberst, and I'd guess everybody approches painting differently. I would do what you feel more comfortable with. Personally I'd go with painting everything and then do the source lighting. It's easier on my brain if I can see what colors I'm going to be lightening up for the effect. Also remember that the back view of him (where the magic light is blocked by his body) will be painted normally. Good luck!
Orks -- comic relief in the grim darkness of the far future.

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

A wise grot knowz da roolz of Da Waaagh and obeyz dem.

squiggoth

squiggoth

Stormboy

• Deathskullz
  • 1,367 posts
  • Army Name:PSV (BloodBowl), Waaagh! Badgutz (40K), Waaagh! Gornaz (WHFB/WarMaster)
I'd do the normal painting first, then source lighting on the parts that need to get lighted.
A few things to consider:
- keep the overall model fairly dark, it's easier to paint lighting on a dark model.
- don't overdo it, sometimes you see source lighting where a small light source illuminates half of the model, ruining the effect. It's easy to get carried away like that, here's one of mine where I went a bit overboard, especially on the chest area. :blush
- keep your reflected lights darker than the original light source, or at most equally as bright.

Good luck! :cheers
- Martijn

What's in a name? That, which we call a Goff
By any other name would smell as bad.

Jollya Capuloot

QUOTE (hakbash @ Nov 23 2007, 09:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Deff Skullz is my chosen klan. I like to loot, nick, and wear blue.

oberst_kramer

oberst_kramer

Kommando

• Bad Moonz
  • 967 posts
  • Army Name:Tuznik Boneshaka' 'Eavystomping Horde
Nice Tin'Ead Squiggoth! Thanks for the tips ladz, I'm gonna give a go at it this evening! Now where's my paintbrush...
More Krumpin' and less talkin'

Jean-Luc Picard ends with 'Ard!

"There's a difference between bein' Smart boy an' bein' a Smart Git Gimzod"- Kommanda Uzgob, from Deff Skwadron

Waaagh Tuznik's Noo Codex kill tally sofar: W:18 D:3 L:3

brutalis

brutalis

Explosive Kranium

• Boyz
  • 596 posts
Thats a great looking wierdboy. I like it more then the standard one. Very unique. I hope the painting goes as planned.

Darking

Darking

Grot Oiler

• Boyz
  • 163 posts
  • Army Name:Darkingz
I think that's the coolest Weirboy conversion I've ever seen! I din't like weirdboy being wizards, but I love weirboyz being... weird! Just like yours ;)
Space Pirates Da Kingz Win Ratio: 90,90909090909090909090909090%

Win/looses Against:
tin'eads: 6/0
Beakies: 4/1
OMFG What the hell I'm a BEAST!!!!

Acid Burn

Acid Burn

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 304 posts
  • Army Name:Da Face Melta Boyz
wow i love the pose, the beard is great, and the coils are a realy nice touch (this guy does look crazy lol) i have a few qiestions though? 1. what did u use for the fingers? 2. what is that bit of green stuff coming out of his hand?, isit waaagh energy perhaps? keep us posted mate great work waaagh on
OOMANS ARE PINK AND SOFT, NOT TOUGH AND GREEN LIKE DA BOYZ

oberst_kramer

oberst_kramer

Kommando

• Bad Moonz
  • 967 posts
@Acid Burn: 1) The fingers are plastic rod chopped to bits to form the fingers. I used a Black Orc gauntlet, but those are all with fists closed, so I had to chop, and drill a bit to get the "open hand " feel. 2) The GS ball is indeed Waaagh energy, to represent his Zaaap/ Frazzle ability. I've started to paint t yesterday, hopefully it will become more distingable when I'm close to finishing. Thanks for your comments all :cheers

"There's a difference between bein' Smart boy an' bein' a Smart Git Gimzod"- Kommanda Uzgob, from Deff Skwadron

Morhgoz

Morhgoz

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 306 posts
  • Army Name:Goffz, Blood Axez, Snakebiez and Deathskullz
I love him, ten times better than that official one. This will be bit of inspiration to me when I start to do my goff warphead...
Victory is not important, but large mound of bloody skulls...
...own ones, if nothing else...

oberst_kramer

oberst_kramer

Kommando

• Bad Moonz
  • 967 posts
Well he's more or less close to a finished state now. Things that still have to be done though:

-Highlights in some areas, like gauntlets, beard, and uvva places...
-Flock with static grass
-Other stuff that you gits suggest(Destroying my model or mailing to somebody doesn't count :P)

I enjoyed the "source lighting" thing a lot. It's something new to add to character models and adds a new dimension to my usual painting technics.

On to the pictures.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I would appreciate your input! ;)

Trick Ork

Trick Ork

telescoping arm

• Boyz
  • 505 posts
  • Army Name:Da Gorhides
i think the source lighting on the bottom of the hand is great. but the source lighting on and around the face is too "thick", i dono, it needs to be softer
Da Gorhides
We iz turnin red!

Keltheos

Keltheos

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 366 posts
  • Army Name:Gobsmak
Green source lighting on green skin'll be hard to nail, but I really really love what you've done with the poor sod! :)

oberst_kramer

oberst_kramer

Kommando

• Bad Moonz
  • 967 posts

Green source lighting on green skin'll be hard to nail, but I really really love what you've done with the poor sod!

Yeah,it's indeed hard to represent Green light on green skin, so I had to give it a harder contrast. In the beggining I toyed with the idea of giving him some kind of "red energy" but discarded the idea, as proppa Waaagh energy is always green(IMHO of course)

Thanks for the comments ladz!

Acid Burn

Acid Burn

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 304 posts
  • Army Name:Da Face Melta Boyz
this guy has come on very well have you tried going further with the source lighting? omg do u know what wud be cool? glow in the dark paint! (just an idea lol) over all im impressed it is a beautiful model with lots of colour (which is what i like) cand wait to see your next conversion Waaagh on!
OOMANS ARE PINK AND SOFT, NOT TOUGH AND GREEN LIKE DA BOYZ

Maz

Maz

Oily Squig

• Boyz
  • 105 posts
  • Army Name:Speek Freeks
Schön! As thick as the source lighting on his face might be...it still portrays your intentions. all I would do is feather out the edges with some really thin color. Other than that I would leave it alone. The hand, head, and staff are all wonderful, as is his aggitated pose :) :thumbs Nice n proppa job.

Loosenutz

Loosenutz

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 272 posts
  • Army Name:Loosenutz Stompy Gitz
Yes, the light source on my face needs toning down and spreading out a little. Also the light on the mettle bits should look a bit brighter than the light on my skin. Whenever I summon raw warp-stuff the light always seems to shine more brightly off of mettle gubbinz. Whats up with people using my name for their models? This is the third time in 6 months :lol
Loosenutz Naplam Boyz- Dey smellz like victory

Victory don' smellz so good

oberst_kramer

oberst_kramer

Kommando

• Bad Moonz
  • 967 posts
I used yer name because it sounds suitably crazy enuff for a Wierdboy. Of course it's a tribute to yer person! ;) Thanks for the great comments, i'll try to smoothen the edges of the lighting a bit, but won't be edxpanding it, as thelight would be reflected on a lot of places and I don't want to screw it up.

Urtyfist Gorok

Urtyfist Gorok

Grot Orderly

• Boyz
  • 188 posts
  • Army Name:Da Red Fists
Looks great! Fun mini
"I dont get it..."

Grishgrub

Grishgrub

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,495 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh Grishgrub Ironklaw / Grimtin's Remote Kontrol orks
A couple of comments. Firstly, watch out for larger than lifesize photos of models; unless you're painting at golden demon standard I find that these almost always make your painting look worse than it is. Regarding the painting, I'd recommend getting a very thin black line painted/finelinered on between the orange beard and the face. It'll help define both areas, and solve the problem of "which colour do I end where?".