Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Warp'ead Loosenutz

* * * * * 2 votes

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

oberst_kramer

oberst_kramer

Kommando

• Bad Moonz
  • 967 posts
  • Army Name:Tuznik Boneshaka' 'Eavystomping Horde
Hey boyz, back to the Mekshop now that need arises. Why you ask? Because I'm not very keen on the new Wierdboy model, and as everyone will be getting one I prefer to have my own customised one.

I wanted Loosenutz to have an old grizzled look that reflected it's status as a Warp'Ead, which IMHO should be represented as an old Ork , not specially bulky as a Warboss, more akin to a Nob, and with the looks that he doesn't need some Minderz to take him to the Battlefield to blast some Space Moronz. I wanted to pay some homage to Rogue Trader and 2nd edition, so at least a Bell was mandatory, and a Hairsquig as beard(in bright colours) were some of the mandatory gubbinz. To give him a bit of a feral look, I added some fur to his boots, and some trophies to his Staff-Halberd.

Of course he is a Badmoon Warp-Ead, so the "teknolugik" feel was also necessary to reflect his "grim future" look. I gave him a "Powa Halberd" which is powered by the Waaagh energy directly from his unstable brainz . His head is connected to his Gauntlets so he can channel his energy properly and then to his Staff, so that he can fight in HtH and also launch letal blasts with his psychic powers(so I added the Green Ball, a sort of green fireball to represent Frazzle/Zzaaap). I want to try source lightning this time, so the little energy ball will provide the light to try this paint technic. I wanted to know from you boyz if you would add something else(although it's pretty crowded) or have some opinion on him, before he goes to the painting shed.

Without further delay:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I'd appreciate your input. ;)

EDIT:I noticed that I have to dremel that bell to give it a more real look. And finish the trousers a bit, it will be done.
More Krumpin' and less talkin'

Jean-Luc Picard ends with 'Ard!

"There's a difference between bein' Smart boy an' bein' a Smart Git Gimzod"- Kommanda Uzgob, from Deff Skwadron

Waaagh Tuznik's Noo Codex kill tally sofar: W:18 D:3 L:3

Blue Marauder

Blue Marauder

Grot Rigger

• Boyz
  • 174 posts
  • Army Name:Da Blue Marauderz
Comments: I really like most of the model. I think it looks really proppa. Criticism: I dont like those things sticking out of his ears. I would consider shortening them and making them headphones maybe?
the cake is a lie

Tepok

Tepok

Skarboy

• Freebooterz
  • 1,447 posts
  • Army Name:Evil Moonz (Pirates)
Most proppa wierd boy, the ear things need to be kept, they make him look awesome. Don't forget to paint him quite dark though, otherwise the source lighting will look strange. Tepok

Proppa Unproppa

oberst_kramer

oberst_kramer

Kommando

• Bad Moonz
  • 967 posts
Thanks for the tip Tepok. The earthings are energy coils to focus the energy and avoid that it spills out of its head too liberally.

"There's a difference between bein' Smart boy an' bein' a Smart Git Gimzod"- Kommanda Uzgob, from Deff Skwadron

squiggoth

squiggoth

Stormboy

• Deathskullz
  • 1,367 posts
  • Army Name:PSV (BloodBowl), Waaagh! Badgutz (40K), Waaagh! Gornaz (WHFB/WarMaster)
I love those gubbinz sticking out of his ears, they're brilliant. :thumbs The overall look of the model is great as well, especially that beard squig and the crazy pose, though the gap in his groin definitely needs tidying up and there are some big mouldlines on the toadstools and the bottom of his lightning rod power halberd staff thingy. That fur collar around his boots is a nifty little detail, might look good if it was repeated on other parts of the model as well (at his neck/shoulders might look good, a bit like the jacket of the GorkaMorka Deffkopta pilot). I had forgotten all about Weirdboyz carrying bells around, thanks for the reminder as I'm probably going to make my own as well. :yes
- Martijn

What's in a name? That, which we call a Goff
By any other name would smell as bad.

Jollya Capuloot

QUOTE (hakbash @ Nov 23 2007, 09:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Deff Skullz is my chosen klan. I like to loot, nick, and wear blue.

oberst_kramer

oberst_kramer

Kommando

• Bad Moonz
  • 967 posts
Good call on the fur on his neck shoulders. I had thought about that, but I was lazy and didn't finish the job. :blush The groin will be fixed and the mold lines cutted too. Pics always help to fish out those little imperfections. Glad I inspired you, squiggoth! ;)

geoff123

geoff123

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 336 posts
  • Army Name:Taking Care of Business
This model is great, I like it a lot better than the new GW wierdboy (which I don't like at all). The beard looks great as does the staff and all the gubbiz. The groin, as said, does need some work though. Other than that, I think you have yourself a fine looking psychic. Good work!

CannibalBob

CannibalBob

GuildBoss Skabnoze

• Blood Axez
  • 2,303 posts
  • Army Name:Kommandur Dragztor's Skull Krumpin Brigade
I really like this guy. There is a lot of fun and techy bits on him that make him look really cool, and the beard gives a suitably crazy look to that head. However, I get the feeling from the model that he is in the process of falling over instead of capering around like a lunatic (which I think was probably your intent). He looks fine from the front - but the side view makes it look like he is falling down. The problem is that the lines of the body are leaning backwards. It also does not help that his staff is not vertical. If the staff was straight up and set in the ground it would look like he was leaning on it. I recommend that you alter his pose by leaning him forward more onto the foot that is on the ground and tilt the whole body more in the direction that he is pointing. I realize that might be a problem because he is already based - but I think the pose hurts what is otherwise a really cool model.
Freebooter Fungus Lager: Only da Finest Fungus!

Boss Grimfart

Boss Grimfart

Grot Slave

• Boyz
  • 140 posts
Das gefällt mir sehr! I too dislike the new ork wierdboy, sort of like the new(ish) orc shaman. I think the techno-look is the way to go with wierdboys. I'll definately be basing mine around this look, sort of like the concept sketches that showed up a while back of the tech-wierdboys. Job's a good un.
orks don't take morale checks, they take more-ale checks

Gutsmek

Gutsmek

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 57 posts
  • Army Name:Wazdakka Gutsmek Waaaaaagh
Very nice conversion here, loving everything about this mini. Love the touch of the beard to ork models, nice work. Gutsmek
Oh this is almost as intense as that time I forgot how to sit down!

WATCH THIS SPACE FOR ARMY BLOG

www.myspace.com/trace88music

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,752 posts
  • Army Name:Thousand Tribes Waaagh
I second CBob's commentary (don't want you to think it's just one cranky ol' git's opinion). The stance does muck up what is a very good conversion. I think it captures the old skool weird-boy quite well. :thumbs
Orks -- comic relief in the grim darkness of the far future.

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

A wise grot knowz da roolz of Da Waaagh and obeyz dem.

Frozt

Frozt

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 277 posts
  • Army Name:((work in progress))
I have to second the idea of the war'ead. the new model looks funky, and not in the good disco way. Looks good so far, love to see 'em painted. :thumbs As fasr as warp'eads go, i think most should be made from scratch, seeing as i doubt they have the same organizational skillz as 'umie.
"Wat? fouty-too aint no ansher for squat! Scratch-buildin, now dat's an ansher!"

oberst_kramer

oberst_kramer

Kommando

• Bad Moonz
  • 967 posts
Thanks for the comments ladz! They're appreciated! -Now lemme see: -Change position to forwards -Fix groin( :P ) _Mold Lines are done -Add some extra fur -Paint still a lot to do...

oberst_kramer

oberst_kramer

Kommando

• Bad Moonz
  • 967 posts
Sorry for the double post, but here's a little update: Loosenutz seems so have scrounged a pelt from some unlucky Snakebite and has added it to it's usual attire. As his pose was a bit towards the "slipping-with-a-banana" direction I made him leaning forward. Pants are also fixed and he's now off to the painting shed. PB110023.JPG PB110024.JPG PB110025.JPG PB110026.JPG

Nozeminer

Nozeminer

Glorifier of Grotz

• Deathskullz
  • 2,021 posts
  • Army Name:Snotbagz Nozeminerz
The pose looks much better now. :thumbs I like the looks of this model. He has that crazed look about him that I think defines wierdboyz. Now let'z see 'im painted. :whip ;)
Yoo kin pikk yer Warboss an' yoo kin pikk yer noze. But, yoo kant pikk yer Warbossez noze.

"Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb."

Kromlech for all your Orky goodness.

Nozeminer Studioz

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,752 posts
  • Army Name:Thousand Tribes Waaagh
Waaagh da pose correction! Can't wait to see him painted, Oberst.
Orks -- comic relief in the grim darkness of the far future.

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

A wise grot knowz da roolz of Da Waaagh and obeyz dem.

squiggoth

squiggoth

Stormboy

• Deathskullz
  • 1,367 posts
  • Army Name:PSV (BloodBowl), Waaagh! Badgutz (40K), Waaagh! Gornaz (WHFB/WarMaster)
Muy bueno! The new pose is indeed an improvement, though I hadn't really noticed the banana slip at first. :thumbs
- Martijn

What's in a name? That, which we call a Goff
By any other name would smell as bad.

Jollya Capuloot

QUOTE (hakbash @ Nov 23 2007, 09:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Deff Skullz is my chosen klan. I like to loot, nick, and wear blue.

Keg

Keg

'Ead Graft

• Deathskullz
  • 718 posts
  • Army Name:Keg'z Mek 'Eadz
I agree with Squiggoth as I didn't really notice but the improvments cane really be seen, well done with your awesome weird boy, I envy thee! Keg

CannibalBob

CannibalBob

GuildBoss Skabnoze

• Blood Axez
  • 2,303 posts
  • Army Name:Kommandur Dragztor's Skull Krumpin Brigade
Much better! :thumbs It is little details like that pose that make or break a mini in my opinion - which is why I spend so much effort on the posing of my minis. You can do the most amazing conversion work and still have a sloppy pose ruin the look of a mini - at least in my opinion. This looks great now - any chance of new front & side pics?
Freebooter Fungus Lager: Only da Finest Fungus!

oberst_kramer

oberst_kramer

Kommando

• Bad Moonz
  • 967 posts

This looks great now - any chance of new front & side pics?

These will come as soon as I start painting!

But to start painting I need yer advice! It's the first time I attempt source lighting so my question is:

What comes first, painting the model in Dark colours and then "illuminate" the lighted parts? Or you paint the lighting source first, and then you go to the rest of the model?

Somebody who has experience or has some kind of handy tutorial, please help!

BTW, thanks for the kind words everyone.