Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

A few scratch Killa Kans

* * * * * 2 votes

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Hortwerth

Hortwerth

Gob Squig

• Grotz
  • 63 posts
Arr there matey!

Over the last few days I built 9 tiny Killa Kanz. I will only ever possibly want to use 3, and the rest will form a christmas/birthday present for my cousin. Possibly I will get him back into playing 40k again!

Anyways, tell me what yer think!

These are all of them:

Posted Image

These are mine:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Some close-ups:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Toll the Great Bell Thrice! Sing praise to the Omnissiah!

www.hortwerth.com

Hortwerth

Hortwerth

Gob Squig

• Grotz
  • 63 posts
Bumped into some pic/post limit.

And these are the ones that will end up under a christmas tree:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

www.hortwerth.com

Doomfrog

Doomfrog

telescoping arm

• Boyz
  • 517 posts
  • Army Name:Waaaaagh Bamfoid
Those look Pretty awsome, how long did uit take you to make each of these?

Stuart

Stuart

Outed 'umie luvva

• Blood Axez
  • 926 posts
  • Army Name:Kommissar Killjoy's Kavalry Korpz
Those are some excellent little Kans you've got. The circular viewing-holes are a really cool touch, it's nice to see something different from the standard eye-slit. Out of curiosity, are the Orks you've been showing us your personal army, or are you selling them? I just think it's a shame when people sell armies that they put so much effort into.

Hortwerth

Hortwerth

Gob Squig

• Grotz
  • 63 posts
I think it took me about 5 days in total, so 2 per day is my guess of what you want to know! I do a lot of different armies for a living, but Adeptus Mechanicus and now Orks are my beloved own creations and I won't part with these models (other than giving 6 kans to my cousin).

www.hortwerth.com

CannibalBob

CannibalBob

GuildBoss Skabnoze

• Blood Axez
  • 2,303 posts
  • Army Name:Kommandur Dragztor's Skull Krumpin Brigade
I think the periscopes are my favorite touch. :thumbs
Freebooter Fungus Lager: Only da Finest Fungus!

Zagursnik

Zagursnik

Loots from da Lootaz

• Freebooterz
  • 2,564 posts
  • Army Name:Orks of da Pink Floyd
other then that they are totally scratch built the port holes are the highlights. have fun painting the grots inside!
"I guess...Grot...you just gotta hold that ol' snazzgun in your hand and it all comes clear to you like it was for me that first time. That's when I knew my one true calling in life.

"And wut's dat Boss?"

"I'm a natural born flashgit kill-joy"

"Ask yourself, this is the age before mechanical weapons. How long does it take to kill 70,000 human beings with swords and spears one at a time? The answer seems to be about 6 hours." Richard Gabriel

Grabsnikk

Grabsnikk

Kickin' Grot

• Boyz
  • 138 posts
  • Army Name:Blu Skullz
They are the best killer kans that I ever saw on this site thats for sure. You really are talented with plasticard. Any chance of a run down on the thicknesses of materials that you used and what type of plasticard? Do you also have any WIP pics that you could post up? everyone here would be keen to see them. Great work by the way.
Orkses is never beaten in battle. If we win we win, if we die we die so it don't count as beat. If we runs for it we don't die neither, so we can always come back for anuvver go, see!

You can't spell GAMES WORKSHOP without ORKS.

GENERATION 4: The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment
Pic removed from sig

GrimTeef

GrimTeef

Da Big Red Cybork Cyboss

• Bosses
  • 2,225 posts
Those are seriously great kanz! I will echo the round port hole window comments, really great looking and characterful. It adds an element of 50's and 60's sci-fi to them that I really like. How big are they next to a standard boy? And I would like to see some work in progress shots as well, should any exist. Great work.

Hortwerth

Hortwerth

Gob Squig

• Grotz
  • 63 posts
Sorry guyz, I was too excited about them to get them to the studio to get any WIP pics taken! The round portholes and periscopes are a last-minute touch as I just felt they were not fitting my Piratez-Freeboota theme enough! I opted for a safe option for my cousin though. I plan to fill the portholes with Vallejo Water Effect after painting to create thick glass effect. The base structure is 16mm diameter 1mm thick PVC tube cut into 2cm long sections. Then there are 2 14cm diameter PVC tube 1cm long sections slid into each end, then 1mm thick 15x15mm plasticard square glued at each end and cut roughly to round shape with clippers then filed with dremel. For the arms and legs superstructure I used mostly Plastuct U-shaped profiles 5mm and 3mm thick, some plumber's putty and then some 3x2 magnets for the joints. The Kans are 55 mm from base bottom to the top of the kan, so I suppose they're between 1,5-1,8x the height of a boy.

www.hortwerth.com

Flamin' Skullz

Flamin' Skullz

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 29 posts
  • Army Name:Da Flamin' Skullz
Great kanz :thumbs I especially like the close-combat arms, and I agree that the port-holes are a great feature to tie in with your freebooterz theme.

waaaghboss

waaaghboss

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 226 posts
  • Army Name:Gor Kop'z 'ordz a Stompin'
Those portholes are sick! I'm sure your cousin will love them, and if he doesn't can I have a few? :lol I think it would have been nice to see some more variety in the shooty weapons, though I guess they could easily count as big shootas or KMB. Where did you get all those ammo belts?

Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 410 posts
  • Army Name:Da Rättlsnaikz
WOW, great job :eek I would only suggest making the PowerKlaws a bit bigger, compared to the saws they don't look dangerous enough.

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,752 posts
  • Army Name:Thousand Tribes Waaagh
Erm, where do I apply to become your cousin? :lol Really nice work. That's an amazing output for the period of time you spent. :thumbs
Orks -- comic relief in the grim darkness of the far future.

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

A wise grot knowz da roolz of Da Waaagh and obeyz dem.

Hortwerth

Hortwerth

Gob Squig

• Grotz
  • 63 posts

I think it would have been nice to see some more variety in the shooty weapons, though I guess they could easily count as big shootas or KMB. Where did you get all those ammo belts?

I just wanted some weapon to be in place, he can add his own weapons later - he's an Ork player afterall, nothing should be left as manufactured! He never had problems with konverting models, he only has a trouble with building whole structures, whereas making a strong structure from scratch is easy for me. The ammo belts come form 'umie HB team ammo feeder boxes, 9 of them! I'd probably make drum magazines if I didn't have easy access to these.

www.hortwerth.com

Magus Gar Kan

Magus Gar Kan

Kommando

• Blood Axez
  • 969 posts
  • Army Name:Defgrimz Dakka Boyz
Awesome models but what sized bases are they on?
Offishol Fishhead Slackjaw Mcgee certified ork Rokka!
GENERATION 2: The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment
"Waaagh! Waaagh! The Greenskins, Oldest Greatest Death Machine..."

Hortwerth

Hortwerth

Gob Squig

• Grotz
  • 63 posts

Awesome models but what sized bases are they on?

These are 40mm bases.

www.hortwerth.com

Magus Gar Kan

Magus Gar Kan

Kommando

• Blood Axez
  • 969 posts
  • Army Name:Defgrimz Dakka Boyz
Ok I was thrown by your "tiny" comment. They are really really good. And now we can play a rousing game of lets find the gubbinz! Hmm it looks like the exhausts are piping from the chemical plant set, as are the wheels. The ammo feeds are off of 'umie heavy bolters I can't place any of the other bits, but I could almost swear the arms look like they are attached by a tiny metal ball joint...
Offishol Fishhead Slackjaw Mcgee certified ork Rokka!
GENERATION 2: The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment
"Waaagh! Waaagh! The Greenskins, Oldest Greatest Death Machine..."

Hortwerth

Hortwerth

Gob Squig

• Grotz
  • 63 posts

Ok I was thrown by your "tiny" comment. They are really really good.
And now we can play a rousing game of lets find the gubbinz!
Hmm it looks like the exhausts are piping from the chemical plant set, as are the wheels.
The ammo feeds are off of 'umie heavy bolters

I can't place any of the other bits, but I could almost swear the arms look like they are attached by a tiny metal ball joint...

You are correct on all except the last point. The arms, shootaz and legs connect to the body by 3x2mm round disc magnets.

As for any other bitz... The hips are from chemical plant too, and the cables are from my damaged PC power feed. The top hatch is just a FIMO shaped into disc as it had to be too small for any existing GW hatch to fit. The rest is just either plasticard or PVC.

www.hortwerth.com

Shabbadoo

Shabbadoo

Dreadnought Pilot

• Bad Moonz
  • 1,863 posts
  • Army Name:Bad Moons(Waaagh! Skargrim)
You've got a nice set of kans there! ;)