Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Akwatik Desert Raidas

* * * * - 22 votes

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
309 replies to this topic

generalmalaise

generalmalaise

Akwatik Desert Raida

• Boyz
  • 656 posts
Hey Guys and Gals (is that just wishful thinking?) -

First post so be kind.

I've been toying with the idea of an Ork Land Navy - premise is desert dwelling orks come across a copy of Janes Ships and want to compete with Janes - start building ships for desert warfare - it allows me to put a rubber swim duckie around my dreadnauts middle so can't be an all bad idea

I'm more of a conglomerator than a scratch builder as the pictures will show and I know it needs more "orking" - Suggestions?

Posted Image

thanks in advance.
Nothing to see here. Move along.

"Everybody's changing....and I don't feel the same."
-Keane

geoff123

geoff123

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 336 posts
  • Army Name:Taking Care of Business
Nice idea and base design, it really looks good so far. I think you need to ork it up a bit though, so far it just looks like a bunch of toys cobbled together. Armour plates, rivets and platicards teef/dags will make this look proppa. I also tink it would benefit from some plasticard made tracks.

fleshfeaster

fleshfeaster

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 248 posts
  • Army Name:Redjaws
i wholly agree with geoff123. add lots of extra armor plates to the outside of the hull of the shop and the superstructure. there ought to be all kinds of scrap welded and riveted all over the outside. the superstructure should have lots of dags and glyphs on it as well as around the top of the landing area. make a single big track for the front so its like a three tracker, maybe some barbed wire and other stuff around the landing deck and the superstructure as well.
My boyz stomped in da welling blood as into a riva, da wheels of me bespattaed with blood and filth. i filled da plain with da corpses of da humies like hebage. the panic of me onslaught overwhelmed them like GORK and they fled, passin scaldin urine and voiding excrement in their pantis.

I HATE fish'ead.

drabber

drabber

Stainless Steel Skull

• Boyz
  • 560 posts
  • Army Name:the Orkin Armada
Thats a really good base, and I'll be the first to admit I like your concept. It just needs a bit of TLC.

just cladding a few of the surfaces with plasticard, or thin card would tie it together.

Have you looked at Da Goff Rokker's fleet? here is a link you might dig pretty sure there was another waagher doing a fleet, I recall a landraider/aircraft carrier, but didn't find it in the quick search I did...

I have to agree the treads aren't working very well, ones that went the whole length of the craft would be better. if you are going to use ones that length, I'd say loose the little wheel in the front and get two more treads, and put them on as well, like the sandcrawler from StarWars.

also a deathroller is always a good idea...

plenty more ideas, but didn't want to verbally vomit all over your thread...

also... Welcome to the Waaagh!

-drabber

Zagursnik

Zagursnik

Loots from da Lootaz

• Freebooterz
  • 2,662 posts
  • Army Name:Orks of da Pink Floyd

I'm more of a conglomerator than a scratch builder as the pictures will show and I know it needs more "orking" - Suggestions?

if ya dont want to build treads hit some garage sales or ebay & look for old toys, the 3 .75 in gi joe toys make for great pre fabbed trank treads. also you should look into extending the deck out more to accomodate for more gun emplacements. other then that & what every one else has said you have a great start!
"I guess...Grot...you just gotta hold that ol' snazzgun in your hand and it all comes clear to you like it was for me that first time. That's when I knew my one true calling in life.

"And wut's dat Boss?"

"I'm a natural born flashgit kill-joy"

"Ask yourself, this is the age before mechanical weapons. How long does it take to kill 70,000 human beings with swords and spears one at a time? The answer seems to be about 6 hours." Richard Gabriel

DEATHSKULL LOOTA

DEATHSKULL LOOTA

Snotroom

• Grotz
  • 43 posts
Ha ha ha ha! havnt laughed so much in an age! LOVE IT! But yeah needs polishing up a bit! For some other ideas look up the gobbo wagon out of Gorkamorka, thats based around a little boat.
If it aint nailed down, its mine!
If it is nailed down, Ive got a claw hammer!
Any which way, ITS MINE!

Guest_Skaven Dave_*

Guest_Skaven Dave_*
  • Guests
Awesome. What you need is a fully amphibious or aquatic army now. I can see... Jetskis with big guns for Bikers Boats with big fans on the back like the Florida Swamp vehicles for Buggies, and with Hoverkraft for Trakks Full Skooba gear for the Kommandoes, (also equipped with Harpoon guns) Presurised deep sea diving gear for Mega-armoured Nobz Aquatic beach assault vehicles for Trukks.

generalmalaise

generalmalaise

Akwatik Desert Raida

• Boyz
  • 656 posts
Thanks to all for suggestions - i can probably repeat the plastic tank tracks again or construct my own - i will put a lot more plates and gubbins on = i thought some teef on the planes would look good too - I will repost when i get the work done. I thought of adding some grot arresting gear too... I already built a landing craft (Beakies), i already built a looted leman as a battleship I have plans to do a viking longboat (horn helmet orks), a pirate ship (freebooters), submarine (kommandos) thought of life rings for troops, windsurfers, jetski bikes, etc. but all suggestions welcome. really like the diving gear and scuba suits idea

-Keane

DEATHSKULL LOOTA

DEATHSKULL LOOTA

Snotroom

• Grotz
  • 43 posts
I think skaven dave has watched "Water World" once too often ha ha! Good idea though.....
If it aint nailed down, its mine!
If it is nailed down, Ive got a claw hammer!
Any which way, ITS MINE!

Sykoyoda

Sykoyoda

Gnasher (face eater)

• Grotz
  • 84 posts
  • Army Name:The White Hand

I think skaven dave has watched "Water World" once too often ha ha!

It does smell a lil' like Smokers, doesn't it. I still love it. If youare going to do a pirate ship hit up G Sales and Second hand stores. With the flood of Pirates of the Carribean crap, you are bound to find a toy ship to use. Viking ships are going to be a lil more dificult. Jet ski and sea-do stuff should be easy to find in the toy department. First thing that came to mind was those toys that have the figures attached to the handle bars that can flip and do tricks. i know i've seen some water toys. keep it up!!! :biggrin
Saruman: "The old world will burn in the fires of industry. Forests will fall. A new order will rise. We will drive the machine of war with the sword and the spear and the iron fist of the ork."

generalmalaise

generalmalaise

Akwatik Desert Raida

• Boyz
  • 656 posts
hey guys -

Took me a while but I'm back for some more constructive criticism - thanks to all who helped before.

this is where I am at now:

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

I am particularly proud of my rear decking (with the Air boss, AIr bosses boss, grot arresting gear and grot with "meatball" (carrier humour))

I know i need a feth load of rivets, and maybe some spikes on the death rolla - any other help greatly appreciated....

-Keane

Ug Thok

Ug Thok

Flash Git

• Bad Moonz
  • 1,040 posts
  • Army Name:Da Zoggin Zoggers
Are those H.I.S.S. tracks? This is coming along nicely. I like the back, but it needs more support! While orks are all about ramshackle, I think that may a bit too unsturdy. Add a couple supports underneath and call that part done. I was smiling when I saw that deffrolla. There is no way that this thing can roll into the paint shed without getting some dreadful looking spikes and blades on it. Nice progress, keep going!
Easy Waaaghers
MEGA Armored Warboss TOEGNASHER
Da DurDregga

Behind Brother-Captain Bob, a great rift opened from the void, and space elves hopped out with cookies. In their time of greatest peril, Craftworld Keebler came to the Mon Keigh. Unfortunately for both, this would be no ordinary bake sale.

Teef Grinda

Teef Grinda

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 15 posts
Haha great idea. I recognise the gunner's gun on the main. Its from a miniture war base from toys are us. nice touch

Zogg

Zogg

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 463 posts
  • Army Name:Morboz Safari
As for constructive criticism, I strongly recommend the addition of a few well placed large smoke stacks and a random smaller exhausts poking out from the deck or just below it. Prominant exhaust tubes/ports always add to an Orky vehicle and can be easily produced with anything from plasticard tubes to old round pen BIC pens with holes cut into them. Naturally, the more gun barrels you add poking out of the hull the better even if they are just for show. And the addition of some form of crow's nest style look out tower would help significantly with the "ship" theme. And if you get really ambitious a port hole or five along the side near the tracks probably wouldn't be too out of place either. If you have the time try finding a copy of the GW comic Deff Skwadron. In it the main characters take on a Battlebarge of serious proportions, and while finding enough bits to recreate that monstrousity would break the bank it would at least give a few more drops of inspiration to the old bucket. Google is your friend, and to a lesser extent BitTorrent....

Drew Da Destroya!

Drew Da Destroya!

'Ead Graft

• Speed Freaks
  • 714 posts
  • Army Name:None, yet, still workin on my Fluff

Full Skooba gear for the Kommandoes, (also equipped with Harpoon guns)

Presurised deep sea diving gear for Mega-armoured Nobz

Good Gork I wanna see those! I'm thinking "Big Daddies" out of Bioshock, but more Orktastic. And Kommandos running around in flippers and snorkels is too funny!
However, as we know, Gorkamorka favours the hopeless optimist and players who hold back on their shots should be jeered loudly.

generalmalaise

generalmalaise

Akwatik Desert Raida

• Boyz
  • 656 posts
A couple of hundred rivets and I am calling this one done -- thanks to all who helped

a last shot before I roll it into the paintin shedd

the buggy "Monitork" (sticking with naval theme) is on the deck

and the airwingers arrived as well

Posted Image

Posted Image

-Keane

Keg

Keg

'Ead Graft

• Deathskullz
  • 718 posts
  • Army Name:Keg'z Mek 'Eadz
Now that is looking good, well done, I hope to see it painted soon, although I doubt it will be painted SOON, hah, that will take ages. Keg

Guest_Keltheos_*

Guest_Keltheos_*
  • Guests
Wow, those flyers are great!! Very nice work all around!

geoff123

geoff123

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 336 posts
  • Army Name:Taking Care of Business
This looks really cool; you've made a lot from a little. I too think the flyerz are great. I would suggest adding some battle damage to the plasticard dags and such that you've put on this machine. Apart from that, I would say its ready to paint. Good job! :thumbs

Gorfang

Gorfang

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 340 posts
The carrier's amazing, but you know, I'm really digging those deffplanes. A few of those zooming around the battlefield instead of those weedy koptas....mmm...