Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Mounted Feral Warboss

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

drabber

drabber

Stainless Steel Skull

• Boyz
  • 560 posts
  • Army Name:the Orkin Armada
Its taken me awhile to get him this far but I thought I'd post some images for you all to see.

I needed a mounted warboss to go with the squad of squig-mounted orks I started ages ago. link

I sculpted his squig out of super sculpy, (firm) and his lower body in green stuff.

His head is painted because I pulled it off a standing nob I was never totally happy with and didn't feel like stripping it, suppose it'll just make me need to brush on the primer, or mask off his head before I paint.

I wanted the squig to look like something between gobbla and my previous squig mounts, and mean as hell.

Posted Image

I'm sure I'll get some flack from using a troll torso, but I like to think of Ork physiology as being varied, and this way my nobs and warbosses are much larger than regular boys, and I like the posture.

Posted Image

I've equipped him with powerfist, and a choppa, and on his saddle bags a shoota, dynamite, and stikk bombs. I'm not sure how this arrangement will work out with the new codex.

Posted Image

Since I rarely play anymore it doesn't really matter, though I would like him to be game legal.

Posted Image

These details get a bit confusing in the pic, its Nezdreg's power fist, the chain from the warboss holding the attack squig, the shoulder pad from the fantasy warboss, and a wolf skull from a beakie...

Posted Image

The squig's teeth are from a resin kit of a T-Rex.

Not sure how I feel about the boots. I'd like to just call them done, but dunno.
Looking at the boots on Ein and Gizmo's Bigboss, I almost feel like mine look bad and need to be redone.
Perhaps I ought to leave it for next time...

Posted Image

Gallery of more images

I'm itching to paint him now, but will try to refrain until I get some feedback.

Anyone see anything that needs to be addressed before I start painting him?

C+C appreciated.

-drabber

gizmo

gizmo

Burna Boy

• Goffz
  • 397 posts
Well Drabber i'd say sculpt a sort of tread on the underpart of the plasticard boot and round off the edges maybe?. This is a crazy idea and i think it works perfectly One other thing, sculpt some eyes into that beast!! Giz
Like so many have said before me WOW he's enormous!! was dis guy's pappy spawned from a squiggoth?

500 profile views and 350 posts? I must be doing something right.

drabber

drabber

Stainless Steel Skull

• Boyz
  • 560 posts
Oh hey, you're right! it does look like he's got empty sockets. Actually there are black glass beads in there. I know better than to try to sculpt perfectly smooth round eyes by hand. Tread for the boots is a great idea, the back edge is rounded, not sure how to round the front though, may require some staring and thinking... -drabber

Da Blue Ork

Da Blue Ork

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 410 posts
  • Army Name:Fish'ead Lootaz, Da Grot Rebellion uv Da Zzap
Looks ACE! I love that it perfectly captures the squig look! He wants to eat me ^^ The boss is very detailed, too.
GENERATION 3: The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment

Sgt_crash

Sgt_crash

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 8 posts
I like it very much except for the boots, they would look good without those spiky bitz.
Flying you ask?...Well, that's easy, just jump and miss the ground!
http://moela.myminicity.com/ open the link please He he eh

Andrew the Eternal

Andrew the Eternal

Dreadnought Pilot

• Bad Moonz
  • 1,894 posts
  • Army Name:Da Great 'Orde uv Nazgor Goldteef
Welcome to the WAAAGH!, Sgt_Crash! :cheers

Anyway, back on topic, I think that the Troll Body is hardly noticable, which must mean this guy is HUGE! The torso does add a lot to the Ork's size, but look closely at the legs and arms of your Warboss and compare them to stock figures. They look too skinny and lacking in muscle. Given the fact that you sculpted the squig itself, I think you'll be able to beef up the legs and arms fairly easily.

Oh, and great gubbins on the back of the Squig. It almost looks like the Nob could 'live out of the sattle.'
QUOTE (GrimTeef @ Oct 12 2007, 12:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Orks even make more interesting corpses than Imperials. We're just that good.
You're smiling. When you smile, civilizations die.

Bloodsbane

Bloodsbane

Paint Squig

• Boyz
  • 101 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh! Nazdreg
Cool! Your sculpted parts are actually really good. The one thing I'm not so keen on is the troll body actually.. damn he looks scrawny! Definately give the boots another work-over too. Good luck with it, looking forward to see how he turns out :)

drabber

drabber

Stainless Steel Skull

• Boyz
  • 560 posts
Posted Image
Here he is with his "walking wargear" and the whole squad.

Posted Image

Beside Barry, this guy is huge.

Posted Image

I think he looks more lanky than skrawny, here is his arm next to Barry's arm, his limbs are bulked up a bit

Posted Image

I reworked the boots, added teeth to it, sculpted toe caps, and shaved down the big circle on the sides.

I think my goal is to make them look a bit like orky Converse allstars. Also considering using tiny rivits to secure the teeth to the toe cap.

Posted Image

Posted Image

treads on the underside of his shoes, a bit rough, but I think they'll work.

Posted Image

gallery of additional images

C +C appreciated

-drabber

DEATHSKULL LOOTA

DEATHSKULL LOOTA

Snotroom

• Grotz
  • 43 posts
Loving your Squigs! :biggrin
If it aint nailed down, its mine!
If it is nailed down, Ive got a claw hammer!
Any which way, ITS MINE!

drabber

drabber

Stainless Steel Skull

• Boyz
  • 560 posts
Primed him with medium gray and started painting. Obiviously I'm not far yet, there are alot more colors, and of course he will need inks and highlights, but its nice what a bit of paint can do. Its a bit easier to see him now.

Posted Image

I've done the first color for most of the parts, but started to get stuck when I got to the squig itself.

I want him to fit with the squad, but stand out a bit too.

gallery of more images

I'm thinking redish-orangish-earthtone, and possibly spots like an animal, leopard or tiger. But when I reach for the paint pot that fits that description I draw a blank.

I've been trying to reason whether squigs get darker and more red as they get bigger and meaner, or lighter. I don't want this one to look younger than the rest, etc.

Oppinions? What should I do?

-drabber

Springsun

Springsun

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 37 posts
  • Army Name:Springsunz Bad Moons
Hmm, I almost wonder if youd be best to paint him a slightly more vibrant red than the others? The earthy tones work really well, but since he's the warboss's mount, maybe you could make it a little redder? or if you wanted to keep it quite muted still, you could maybe make it a richer burgundy colour? I do like the idea of the squig getting darker and redder as the get bigger. But the model is looking great so far =]
I shall not die
I shall not die
When Deff itself is dead,
I will be alive

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,752 posts
  • Army Name:Thousand Tribes Waaagh
How about if you paint him in tune with the other squigs, but then give him some bright white face paint? You could do similar face-paint on da Boss and it would really make him pop out of the unit. I also think (subtle) tiger stripes might suit this guy more than spots since he is already pretty round in cross-section. And (you'll probably hate me for this) I've just figured out what's been bugging me as odd about the big squig... his brow ridges aren't as pronounced as those of the smaller squigs.
Orks -- comic relief in the grim darkness of the far future.

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

A wise grot knowz da roolz of Da Waaagh and obeyz dem.

Da Grimpond

Da Grimpond

'Ead Graft

• Blood Axez
  • 731 posts
AWESOME! it goes so well with your squad!

Da Blue Ork

Da Blue Ork

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 410 posts
As I have a squig-themed Waaagh im SO looting this! Rawr, its so smexy!!
GENERATION 3: The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment

drabber

drabber

Stainless Steel Skull

• Boyz
  • 560 posts
thanks for the feedback,

I really like the matching war paint idea, I'd already been toying with the idea of a white skull over the boss's face, and doing it on the squig too, genious!

I wanted to try out a couple different colors to try to find one that works. I just took one of the pics into photoshop, selected the squig, and did a hue/saturation colorize.
Posted Image

Red

Posted Image

Purple

Posted Image

Yellow

Posted Image

Tiger stripes

Its funny I never thought to try this method of testing paint jobs, but its so easy I think I'll be doing alot more of it in the future...

I hate to say it but think I'm leaning towards the tiger striped one, might want to make it more red though, still not quite sure.

-brad

Grazbuk

Grazbuk

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 219 posts
  • Army Name:Grazbuk's Yoofz
loox like you spent a bit of time on the tigey one :biggrin yeh, i think it's the goer as well - the lighter tones give him a nice contrast with the boss, but might i suggest a different "underbelly" colour to the skull colour, just to give it some extra contrast and maybe help people realise it's warpaint rather than a birth mark [unless of course, that's what you're going for...:thumbs]
Waaaagh!!

Waaagh Grazbuk: "Buttkicking for Orkiness"

Da Blue Ork

Da Blue Ork

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 410 posts
Id suggest some exotic-toned red. Or possibly a very, almost brown-blackish, dark red.

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,752 posts
  • Army Name:Thousand Tribes Waaagh
Last one's a winner. Paint 'im up, Drabs.
Orks -- comic relief in the grim darkness of the far future.

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

A wise grot knowz da roolz of Da Waaagh and obeyz dem.

DoKrazy

DoKrazy

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 208 posts
  • Army Name:Sons of Mork
good work, it's look like you have spend a lot of time on it.I had few suggestion: - the arms of the boss are a bit oblong they need to be beefed up. - the boots look good now. - use the last colour scheme for your squig to keep the colour unity of the mob. - draw a white skull on his face to improve the feral look of him. - so if you choose the tiger scheme it will be good to give him a couple of huge teef to improve the tiger-scheme such as saber teef. Good work again i keep an eye on this thread. Bye!!
All you need is WAAAGH

drabber

drabber

Stainless Steel Skull

• Boyz
  • 560 posts

Mad Grot
And (you'll probably hate me for this) I've just figured out what's been bugging me as odd about the big squig... his brow ridges aren't as pronounced as those of the smaller squigs.

I realized I meant to respond to this but got caught up in color-land... I know what you mean, and that did occour to me while I was sculpting him. origionally his brow ridges were more raised, but I felt like the others on the mob were more reptile/dino/squiggothy and after seeing the model of Gobbla, I wanted to make this one as squiggy as I could...

I did the base coat on this beast last night, and will perhaps do a bit more tonight before posting the next round of photos... I went with a maroon, which fades into red-orange, with a pale ivory underbelly.

I've only done animal patterns on small sections of clothes before, so I'm trying to take it slow. I suppose the best thing to do is get the body to look right, keep the paint thin and get the stripes and face-paint last.

The more I think about it the more I am digging the skull motif for their facepaint, I might even try to rough out another photoshop test to see a couple different ways of drawing it on...

-brad