Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The-Waaagh's Only Thread for GW's New Ork Models

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
336 replies to this topic

Nargred Uz Frothel the Grand

Nargred Uz Frothel the Grand

telescoping arm

• Goffz
  • 508 posts
Why can you tell this is an ork forum :? .... Because we're the only ones not to care very much about how anything else turns out, we just want those nice shiny toys! Gimme gimme gimme! WAAAAGH da new boyz as the smelly one says.
QUOTE (Scarpia @ Aug 1 2006, 02:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now if only the big shoota was rending...... :lol

QUOTE (Sproston Green @ Dec 29 2008, 03:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Everybody knows real tank destroyers are open topped, (da betta ta watch da explosions and all).

Trick Ork

Trick Ork

telescoping arm

• Boyz
  • 505 posts
  • Army Name:Da Gorhides
ooooh :love im very impressed by the new models. i need to make some money so i can buy em O_O IM BROKE :'(
Da Gorhides
We iz turnin red!

Da Blue Ork

Da Blue Ork

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 410 posts
  • Army Name:Fish'ead Lootaz, Da Grot Rebellion uv Da Zzap
Im saving for the army deal. Good to hear its here as early as 17th december. Can't bloody wait. Well, atleast it gives time to start getting together all bits and butts for my basic ork veichles and finnish that stompa... and dred mob and oh dear. *gets working* I must get ready for the coolest, greenest xmas ever! :cheers
GENERATION 3: The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment

CannibalBob

CannibalBob

GuildBoss Skabnoze

• Blood Axez
  • 2,303 posts
  • Army Name:Kommandur Dragztor's Skull Krumpin Brigade
I took a closer look at some of the plastics in those pictures and I am starting to change my mind about a number of them. The models do look good - but I am seeing a whole lot of 2 piece models where all the arms are sculpted alongside the body and the gun just snaps into place. You can tell that most of the tankbustas are like this, the lootas are to some extent, and so are the burna boyz. One of my favorite aspects of the current ork boyz is how easily they lend themselves to an amazing number of conversions. I like converting - it is what has kept me playing this game when the rules are pretty poor. Converting models such as these is more of a pain in the ass than it is worth. For the effort you have to go to you might as well sculpt a new model. Hopefully the boyz sprue will lend itself easily to as many conversions as the current boyz sprue does. Converting vehicles is fun - but I like converting infantry models just as much. I truly detest 2 piece models in a game such as 40k. They are fine in fantasy - but not in a game such as this.
Freebooter Fungus Lager: Only da Finest Fungus!

Thingy

Thingy

Syringe Squig

• Grotz
  • 77 posts
  • Army Name:Deathskullz

Bitz for the Bitz God!!!

Most definetly. :lol

I myself am already planning on buying one of those trukks just for the bits! I might even have to include a unit of bikers in my army! Gahhh! Too much cool stuff to fit in... or afford. :(

Me not Weedy

Me not Weedy

Weedy

• Deathskullz
  • 2,240 posts
  • Army Name:Not Weedy's Lootin Gitz
Ok, I am so going to be poor. The trukk is a bit off and I too am not a huge fan of 2 part models but I am really liking what I see. So poor.
Sometimes when I'm alone I pretend I'm a squig...
-silly buck toofed git

Whining aimlessly is totally my hobby.
-silly buck toofed git

Andrew the Eternal

Andrew the Eternal

Dreadnought Pilot

• Bad Moonz
  • 1,894 posts
  • Army Name:Da Great 'Orde uv Nazgor Goldteef

Ok, I am so going to be poor.
So poor.

Preaching to the Choir, my friend.

In case anyone is wondering what the Tankhammer looks like, check here on the far left. Looks a little silly and weedy to me, but there are more than a few Rokkit bitz coming out to beef it up. :biggrin
QUOTE (GrimTeef @ Oct 12 2007, 12:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Orks even make more interesting corpses than Imperials. We're just that good.
You're smiling. When you smile, civilizations die.

Doc Skullbusta

Doc Skullbusta

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 40 posts
  • Army Name:Skullbustas Boyz
I agree with Canninbalbob. It actually aggrivates me to no end, to see orks get 2 piece models. It's a slap in the face. How many 2 piece plastic kits did beakies, and Chaos beakies (Not Including Battle for Magragge, because you couldn't economically get Beakies from that box, and even if you could the real Beakies are not 2 pieces.) have in the line up? Was it none? Hmmm, just something to think about. Also, something about these orks just doesn't sit right in my stomach. Like they look like good models I guess, but something about them....looks shabby, like they are of poor skulpting, or something. Just a pervaiding glowering of disapointment. You know, I'm not too worried, maybe they will take some time do orks all out after they design and make a few more All metal beakie Veteran's boxed sets.
"Zoggin 'eck!. Eat this, beakie boy! Yeah and this. Here have a bit of boot too. Now some bolter. Dakka-dakka-dakka! Hur, hur. You all right, Zog. We showed dem. Zog? Zog? Stop layin' about. Get up! Yer gonna miss all da' fun! 'Ow many boyz left? Bout a dozen. Plenty! Well. ready boyz. Looks like a full company o' beakie boyz down dere. Wahoo! Eat diz 'umie! See how your zoggin' empyror likes it!" -Doc Skullbusta, charge into Temporasta Hive.

"It wouldn't be table top gaming anymore just an argument and a mess." --N.Steadman

"My fist is about to cause a penetrating hit, causeing catostrophic damage on the "Your Face Chart" if you don't shut up." --N.Steadman

Keg

Keg

'Ead Graft

• Deathskullz
  • 718 posts
  • Army Name:Keg'z Mek 'Eadz
I agree with Andrew, I think the tank hammer does look weedy, when I first saw it I was shocked at what it was. A simple rocket on a stick? You can't get weedier than that me thinks. I always thought it would be a massice hammer use for actually crushing tanks under it's weight, for example, just like a great gargant standing atop of a weedy rhino. But it's a rocket on a stick ¬.¬ Woo bloody hoo

morfangdakka

morfangdakka

tougher than a cybork

• Deathskullz
  • 1,402 posts
  • Army Name:Morfang's Big Stompa Mob
I just got my christmas wish list all done and showed the wife what her and the kids need to get me. I will say I am pleasantly surprised these look really good. I will start saving for just in case I don't get what I want and even if I do I'm sure I 'll want more and then there are all January releases.
QUOTE (eddie the troll @ Mar 24 2010, 09:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, the Venerable Morfangdakka. It has a certain feel to it.

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

brutalis

brutalis

Explosive Kranium

• Boyz
  • 596 posts
I think CannibalBob has a good point. I have been worrying about this since the new komandos. As much as the models are good looking, i would hate a unit of models with identical poses and only minor variations in their gear to differentiate them from each other.

Oddballz

Oddballz

He who was Snord

• Nobz
  • 5,164 posts
  • Army Name:Da Greenmarines; Rotfang's Skroungas (still WiP)

I agree with Canninbalbob. It actually aggrivates me to no end, to see orks get 2 piece models. It's a slap in the face.

Oh for goodness' sake. How on earth can you tell how many parts they're made from? I'd guess there are at least 4-5 parts on the Lootas/Burna Boyz, and the Tankbustas are metal, so they're probably only one piece, but it's just guesswork. As for the sculpting being shabby - compared to what? I can see some of the components have suffered a bit from being cast as one piece, but it's easily fixed with a bit of trimming.
Oddballz

"If you wants to understan' an enemy, you gotta walk a mile in his shoes. Den, if he's still your enemy, at least you're a mile away and he's got no shoes." Plateau, trollish philosopher

Penelope the Wonder Pony

Penelope the Wonder Pony

Thinks hes NTMBK

• Deathskullz
  • 4,380 posts
  • Army Name:WAAAAGH! Blooskull
Just reread that leaked release schedule from a while back, noticed that Lootaz and Burnaz are being released in a combined box, with a Mek, at a little less price than the Boyz box.

chockchan the arch dictator

chockchan the arch dictator

Stainless Steel Skull

• Goffs
  • 582 posts
  • Army Name:*under new management, no name yet*
i've looked over everything, and i have to say i'm pretty pleased with it all, except the burnas and lootas. the lootas would make good BS boys, but since i don't like how apparently lootas don't loot enemy weapons anymore, i don't like giving them the name of lootas. they're better as flash gitz. also, on the boys sprue, the shootas are now already attached to the arms. so no more extra shootas, to give character to terrain pieces, and in some cases, vehicles? i know i can just chop them off, but then there's no handle. it irks me. :scowl
QUOTE (DaSquigBrain @ Apr 27 2007, 09:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Butter and salt for the Blood God!

QUOTE (CannibalBob @ May 10 2007, 02:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My models are all assembled and kept together through sheer willpower.

Choppas. Making people successful in a changing world.
Records starting Jan. '09:
Orks-Wins 0/Draws 0/Losses 0
Empire-Wins 3/Draws 1/Losses 2

KNW

KNW

telescoping arm

• Boyz
  • 493 posts
  • Army Name:The Industral Strength WAAAAGH
Couple comments, now that I've had time to use my Emergency Pants wargear. 1) Anything that looks weedy, convert it & then brag about it to us in the Garage. :biggrin 2) Are those some kinda suicide squigs with the tankbustas? :lol 3) The boyz sprue is awesome. From the tankbusta bombs to the... is that a power axe? They took the old sprues and improved 'em greatly. Plus, if they're focusing on having us field mobs of 30, that means you're gonna have a lot of extra plastic nobs for that retinue or nobs mob ;) 4) Looks I'm gonna be putting a couple hundred bucks aside every month 'till Orksmass..

CannibalBob

CannibalBob

GuildBoss Skabnoze

• Blood Axez
  • 2,303 posts
Oddballz this was the particular pic of the tank-bustas I was looking at here. It is a nice zoomed in picture so you can see a lot of the detail. It is not hard to tell that these models are not gonna be posable. These look like plastics to me - but they may be some resin/plastic show version of metal models. I would actually prefer these were plastic models as they would be a bit easier to convert in that case and more bitz is always better. If these are metal then we once again have a case of the new kommandos where the models look good - but are sculpted in such a way that conversion is almost not worth trying.

The models that have 2-handed guns have thier arms sculpted up against thier torsos and you can see the lines where the hand/gun fits to the wrist. The other models that have guns in one hand also have much of the model sculpted in a big lump with thier arms against the rest of the model. So there is really not a whole lot you can do with these models - whether they are plastic or not.

Now having said that - I think these models look good. So if it is true that I can only have one squad of tankbustas anymore - then these guys are not too terrible as I will not have too many repeat models across the army. However, if these models are meant to be used in decent numbers across the whole army then I am going to be rather annoyed since it is not going to be easy to differentiate repeats of these models from one another - and I REALLY HATE duplicate troop models. Multi-part models really make it easy to differentiate your guys. Hopefully the new boyz sprue will have bitz on it to arm some guys with rokkits so that we don't have to use these tank-bustas in large numbers throughout the army.

The burnaboyz look fine and are an improvement over the current burna boyz. There does not look to be a whole lot you can do with the new burnaboyz - but there is even less that you can do with the current metal ones.

@Chockchan: The new lootas look like a throwback to the 2nd ed fluff for lootas. Back then lootas often built thier own giant crazy weapons out of multiple weapons they scavenged/stole. These giant creations were the Kustom Kombi Weapons and they were one of the things I was REALLY hoping made it back into the army. I think that added a helluva lot more flavor to the orks than simply copying the weapons from another squad.

As for the models - I think these guys look really good. I like the look of the massive gun built onto a carrying frame like the motion-tracker guns from Aliens. From the pics it looks like these models break down into a torso - that might include the backpack molded onto it - and the two arms. It looks as though the arms have the parts of the gunframe and gun sculpted onto it. So it looks unlikely that many of us will be swapping arms on these much - unless you want to scratch-build the gun-frame back on. But it does look like the model breaks down in such a way that you will be able to modify the guns if you want. So if you really want the 3rd ed loota look of stolen imperial weapons (which was always much more of a bloodaxe thing anyways) then it should not be hard to modify the models with any of the number of plastic imperial weapons.

Redtoof

Redtoof

Stormboy

• Snakebitez
  • 1,391 posts
  • Army Name:Da Viperz
These are all so sexy. I want them all now! Then I will die happy. And to everyone moaning about 2 part minis... it's better than the metal burnas we have now, and the non existant lootas. And we still have the 'convert everything from one sprue' factor, because we still have that sprue, only now it's better. I'm sure that if you want it'd be easy enough to put the guns on the multi part boyz. But yeah. This is just too awesome. I love the lootas, the burnas, the bikes, the trukk, the new bits and characters and especially the shokk attack gun. It's all so wonderous!

CannibalBob

CannibalBob

GuildBoss Skabnoze

• Blood Axez
  • 2,303 posts
I was just looking at the basic sprue and I noticed that all the shootas are modeled with the firing-arm already attached. I have to say that is a nice change since it really is a pain in the ass to get the current shootas lined up on the model so that both arms and the shoota attach right. This should make things easier. It also looks like it will not be too hard to take the shoota off the arm in case you just want the shoota for something - or you need the arm for a conversion. I know I used the shoota arms a lot for reposing dynamic models. Hopefully someone will get a much closer picture of the new sprue so we can get a better look at what is on it.

Agatheron

Agatheron

Blue Thunda Ace

• Nobz
  • 6,555 posts
  • Army Name:Da Blue Thunda Speed Freeks

Hopefully the new boyz sprue will have bitz on it to arm some guys with rokkits so that we don't have to use these tank-bustas in large numbers throughout the army.

It does... somewhere in that mess of pictures is a shot of the Ork Boyz sprue with a Rokkit Launcha arm... It will be very poseable, and a good mix to put in with the tankbustas that we see there. I suspect we're going to see lots of conversion potential anyway! :)
______Agatheron \_______
--Remember, long, uncontrolled bursts,
and indiscriminate target selection.
____________________________/

http://chaplainsbrush.wordpress.com/

CannibalBob

CannibalBob

GuildBoss Skabnoze

• Blood Axez
  • 2,303 posts
Ya I just found an up close pic of the basic boyz sprue and I have to say that I really like what I can see in it.

Ork Boyz

The rokkit launcher is there in the middle and it looks like a big shoota is next to it. The pics are a bit blurry so it is hard to see any detail. Hopefully that pic of the big-shoota boy holding ammo-chain rambo-style was built from parts off this frame.