Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Let's Play Pretend

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Penelope the Wonder Pony

Penelope the Wonder Pony

Thinks hes NTMBK

• Deathskullz
  • 4,380 posts
  • Army Name:WAAAAGH! Blooskull
Roight then, you zoggers, I'm breaking my 3,333 post count to make this post, so y'all had better not mess this up. ;)

There's been a general wailing and gnashing of teeth about the new scratchbuilt Studio Stompaz, and others have pointed out that these Stompaz have been treated far harsher than they would have been had a Waaagh poster put them up for C&C. So let's pretend that I'm building a pair of Stompaz in time for Apocalypse, and these are my first scratchbuilds of this type and scale. I'm looking for honest C&C, and I don't mind criticism at all so long as it's constructive and not personal attacks on my modelling skills. Here's my picture of these two Stompaz below, with plenty of Ork boyz spread around them to give you that Barry shot you all like so much:

Posted Image

Now... what should I change to improve these big boys?

Tepok

Tepok

Skarboy

• Freebooterz
  • 1,447 posts
  • Army Name:Evil Moonz (Pirates)
Add more small guns, I can't see any. But other wise I like them, very well done Tuff Git, and getting them into a white dwarf, good job, GW must really like you... (I like pretend) I am a fire man! Tepok

Proppa Unproppa

MTD

MTD

Snapper Jawz

• Boyz
  • 776 posts
  • Army Name:Black Dags and the Red Blitz
I would do more dynamic arms as opposed to the just bolted on the sides look. I seems that the stompa would have to move its' body completely to bring the guns to bear. It also looks far too undergunned to be an ork warmachine o' death.
http://mekaniacmachi...s.blogspot.com/

I'm a Nutter. I do commission work. PM me.

sinner

sinner

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 14 posts
  • Army Name:War-Mek Sinnaz 'ard Boyz
Good, but i think that they are a little too tall to be called stompas, and too skinny, looks like they might fall over walking around. Over all not bad TJ

AlexTheGolem

AlexTheGolem

Skarboy

• Deathskullz
  • 1,421 posts
  • Army Name:Death skulls
Geez, those are very nice, NTMBK! However, I think that the skirts should be more angular. They seem abit to round right now.The feet could also do with a work over, they are abit small right now. As mentioned, the whole thing is rather tall for a stompa too... Apart from all that, I would be very proud of making those!
What has happened?!

"And the ships hung in the sky, in the same way that bricks don't." ~ Douglas Adams

GENERATION 3: The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment

Bulwark

Bulwark

Snotroom

• Grotz
  • 46 posts
well, call them Gargants due to their size. Also, a belly gun would be a nice touch.

Penelope the Wonder Pony

Penelope the Wonder Pony

Thinks hes NTMBK

• Deathskullz
  • 4,380 posts

I would do more dynamic arms as opposed to the just bolted on the sides look.

"I" actually tried to make the CCW arm more dynamic than usual, adding more hydraulics and suchlike and making it look like it could swing about, instead of just going up and down. I can see what you mean about the gun arms, though, they could perhaps do with some turny gubbinz.

Also, a belly gun would be a nice touch.

Well, "I" am trying to keep away from the "cock cannon" look of the classic Gargants. Would it work if I just increased the size of the arm cannons as a replacement? Mousemuffin's Stompa, for example, is a good example of a zoggin' ooge side mounted cannon.

Captain Destructo

Captain Destructo

Gyro Stabilised Monowheel

• Boyz
  • 526 posts
  • Army Name:There isn't one.
I think you could vary the monotonous look of the armour plating, Tuff Git. It's a bit boring because it doesn't change at all over such a big area. As mentioned before, nipple-guns would be nice too.

Redtoof

Redtoof

Stormboy

• Snakebitez
  • 1,391 posts
  • Army Name:Da Viperz
I really like them to be honest, they look like a great effort, though I agree with the others that they could use more/bigger guns. Could we have a step by step construction guide for them? :P I must say at first I thought this thread was a stupid idea, but actually it's quite clever. It's funny how people's views change when they know they are not the official kit.

Clayman

Clayman

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 213 posts
  • Army Name:Unholy Savior
-Add more smaller turrets or guns,add something more to the arms.They dont look bad,just not really movable or practical. -Change the heads and overall armour,like bolt on some predator turret connections (the hull ring plate) or some rhino doors here and there.For the heads...i dont know,they just dont look right. -Add ladders -Bulk out the shoulders with a few kannons

Andrew the Eternal

Andrew the Eternal

Dreadnought Pilot

• Bad Moonz
  • 1,894 posts
  • Army Name:Da Great 'Orde uv Nazgor Goldteef
Sorry, Tuff Git. I tried and fail to make the first thread go along this route.
My opinion on these are here

Mad Bazza da Krumpet, I don't creep out easily, but... No to nipple guns!
QUOTE (GrimTeef @ Oct 12 2007, 12:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Orks even make more interesting corpses than Imperials. We're just that good.
You're smiling. When you smile, civilizations die.

Mr Green Shoes

Mr Green Shoes

Grot Slave

• Boyz
  • 143 posts
  • Army Name:Grumlok's Speeda Boyz
As others have said: more small arms lower down, where they'd be useful. There are a few on each Gargant, but they are at the top, where they would be less likely to ward off infantry that stray too close. Also: Thicker armor plates! I just get the image of that Leman Russ in the bottom right firing it's cannon and ripping through the armored skirt like it was paper. My opinion of the bolted-on Kannons is that Gargants and Stompas and the like are meant more for anti- big, slow warmachine type of units. Not really much aiming to do when your opponent can only book it at 15 MPH. That is why I can justify the height off the ground of the CCW, and to a lesser extent the relative lack of AP weapons. Overall, however, I think these are excellent builds. They harken back to the older days of Orks, before the 3rd Ed. "seriousing up" that they did. Mind, I'm not inclined to either the "old" or "new" look, as I like a mixture of the two. Oh, and on top of it all, the paint jobs are excellent. I know how daunting a task it is to paint up large models like that (looks over at yet-to-be-finished-after-4-months Chaos Warhound...) and with the detail they contain, the painter must have been really dedicated (or at least really motivated :whip )!
"I'm a lead farmer, motha @#$&!"

Scapegoat

Scapegoat

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 295 posts
no offense but...

Posted Image

do we really really really need to keep this going on with the stompaz? Can't we just file this under the "who cares" department?

Nightserpent

Nightserpent

Arch Arsonist

• Bosses
  • 8,487 posts
  • Army Name:Der Red Kobraz
I love the approach to this topic! :lol :thumbs

First of all, congrats for getting your work in WD, well done! ;)

My first impression is similar to Mad Bazza da Kru... 's post. The sheer surfaces of the bodies aren't as interesting as it could be, IMO. Various forms, slight gantries, repairs, protrusions (remember how the old gargant kits had those roundish shapes coming out of the chest??), anything to break it up. The one on the left is more successful because of this, but I think it needs to be taken further.

I personally love belly kannons, and I don't care how suggestive or Freudian it is... all the better! :) But, since we don't know how flexible the stompas stats and options are, I'd be hesitant to change the number and type of weapons... unless you'd just fall back on VDR if it doesn't fit.

A pet peeve of mine... CCWs that can't touch the ground. How can it smash tanks and low buildings if it can't reach 'em? :? Sure, it can try to stomp on them, but why limit one's options for being killy?

Grotfang Warstomp

Grotfang Warstomp

Tankbusta Boy

• Speed Freaks
  • 449 posts
  • Army Name:Da Iron Skullz (see my blog in my signature)
I also think that this 'pretend' thing is a good way to stop hating on the gargants- nice idea! My comments would be that the weps (both shooty arm and choppy arm) are way to weedy for my liking, make the CC arm beefier and with a bigger blade (as NS reccomended), and turn the shooty arm into a gatling kannon. I love the weaponry on the other one on the left though :thumbs! I don't like how uniform the armor skirting is as NS and mad bazza have said previous so I won't go into any more detail on that. Another thing you could do is to add some visible crew to make it look more lifelike and less of a model. I don't particularly like the way you painted these two, but nice job anyways!

Garbad Skargor

Garbad Skargor

Bag Squig

• Boyz
  • 102 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh Skargor

Well, "I" am trying to keep away from the "cock cannon" look of the classic Gargants. Would it work if I just increased the size of the arm cannons as a replacement? Mousemuffin's Stompa, for example, is a good example of a zoggin' ooge side mounted cannon.

Another option to explore would be some sort of head-mounted Gaze of Gork cannon.

Oddballz

Oddballz

He who was Snord

• Nobz
  • 5,164 posts
  • Army Name:Da Greenmarines; Rotfang's Skroungas (still WiP)
Good thread, Tuffy. But let's leave Scapegoat's pic in there because it's funny. *peers closely at Tuff Git's Stompas* It looks as though you rushed them a bit ;) The guns and other attachments look rather uninteresting and lack fine detail. In fact, proportions aside, it's probably fine detail that's missing overall. A few thoughts: - the proportions are off, although they're very close to the little plastic Epic Stompas (not everything looks good scaled up from Epic, however). I think the bodies should be smaller, and the heads and weapons should be bigger - the bellies need a lot more detail. Vents, access hatches, cabling etc. The overlapping plates look like a quick and easy way of covering the surface area without really making them look better. - the guns need to be chunkier, with more prominent ammo feeds/ammo hoppers. I do like the multiple rokkits attached to them though :thumbs I think groin weapons belong on Gargants, not Stompas, but they could look good. They'd be practical too, for shooting up infantry. - the heads should look as though they're big enough to hold at least one Ork. Can we have some pics of their backs?
Oddballz

"If you wants to understan' an enemy, you gotta walk a mile in his shoes. Den, if he's still your enemy, at least you're a mile away and he's got no shoes." Plateau, trollish philosopher

Rabtar

Rabtar

Tatter Stompin

• Goffs
  • 556 posts
  • Army Name:Da Grey Goffz
They are a tad plain for my likeing needs more gubbins. I like the giant gliff on the front tho.
"Violence is not the answer ... but its a DAMN good start."
Unknown
"I AM A SEXY SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!!"
Belkar Bitterleaf
"I represent angry gun toting meat eating f--king people!"
Denis Leary

DA GREY GOFFZ

W=95 T=6 L=16

BlackDraen

BlackDraen

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 207 posts
  • Army Name:Warlord Glach's Piratez
Their heads and weapons aren't big enough (they are orks after all!), except for that they are excellent models. Well done! ;) :cheers
Glach Da Grand Loota.

Penelope the Wonder Pony

Penelope the Wonder Pony

Thinks hes NTMBK

• Deathskullz
  • 4,380 posts

Can we have some pics of their backs?

:lol

Hmm, do you folk reckon that mounting a Zzap in one eye of the big glyff on the horned Stompa and running cabling and other such gubbinz into the other eye and the nose would help add visual interest to him?

And on the other Stompa, how about a few chinks in the armour with gun emplacements poking out, so you can just see the Grotz on the inside manning the weapons? I could move a few of the rokkits off the side of the main guns and into smaller emplacements. This would again add some more interest.

I'll try and make the other changes you guys suggested (enlargen heads, etc) although you might be waiting a while for pictures. ;)