Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Deffwing Dreadnought

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
70 replies to this topic

Nightserpent

Nightserpent

Arch Arsonist

• Bosses
  • 8,487 posts
  • Army Name:Der Red Kobraz
I really had high hopes of completing this army as a surprise for the Boss-town/New England Mega Bash, but things have been really busy at the 'nightserpent household' recently. I really tried to get it done, but at some point I realized that I was rushing, and that seemed an awful waste to speed paint an army I've been fiddling with for over four years now. It just didn't seem to be the right way to honor all that effort, not to mention the generosity of trades and donations that went into this project. I guess it all worked out in the end, because we had no lights at the mega battle (power outage around turn 3). :lol

I do, however, have one model completely done! For those not familiar with my concept, the Deffwing is a wealthy Bad Moon force (Nazdreg's elite, a product of Orkimedes) using the Dark Angels/Deathwing codex. I've always loved the mega armor models, and this seemed the most viable way to field a whole bunch of 'em. I've been developing the fluff and interpretation for years, and all the elements seem to be resolved and explained to a satisfying justification for WYSIWYG purposes.

Here is a dreadnought, armed with an assault kannon, dread CCW, stormshoota (belly weapon), searchlight (right eye) and extra armor. Aside from the little grot up front, it's completely scratchbuilt, I wanted to see how far I could get without any bitz. It's about 3-1/4" tall, without base (a dread base, BTW).

Enough weedy words, 'eres da pics.....

deffwing_dread_01.jpg

deffwing_dread_02.jpg

deffwing_dread_03.jpg

deffwing_dread_04.jpg

deffwing_dread_05.jpg

deffwing_dread_06.jpg

deffwing_dread_07.jpg

deffwing_dread_08.jpg

deffwing_dread_09.jpg

deffwing_dread_10.jpg

deffwing_dread_11.jpg

deffwing_dread_12.jpg

Hope you like it! :)

~Paul

Ein

Ein

Yellow Paint Job

• Boyz
  • 1,492 posts
  • Army Name:I still don't actually have a name for 'em.
Positively gorgeous. You could probably field this thing in epic minus the grot to great effect, as well. Do you have any unpainted photos so we can see the modelling?
Like my work? Check my blog!
http://www.the-warforge.com
Resin-cast bits and bobs for your armies!
WARFORGED MINIATURES

Adventures of a Prehistoric Puppet!
MURRAY THE DINOSAUR

gizmo

gizmo

Burna Boy

• Goffz
  • 397 posts
I take it all back, my bad. Giz
Like so many have said before me WOW he's enormous!! was dis guy's pappy spawned from a squiggoth?

500 profile views and 350 posts? I must be doing something right.

Penelope the Wonder Pony

Penelope the Wonder Pony

Thinks hes NTMBK

• Deathskullz
  • 4,380 posts
  • Army Name:WAAAAGH! Blooskull
Wow! Awesome work as usual, NS! I really like the worky gubbinz you've added on the back, they help to tie it into 40k scale, so you don't just think "Epic Gargant" when you look at it.

Dreachon

Dreachon

Lobotomy

• Deathskullz
  • 751 posts
  • Army Name:Death Skulls
As always another superb model.

MTD

MTD

Snapper Jawz

• Boyz
  • 776 posts
  • Army Name:Black Dags and the Red Blitz
There is a reason why you are the Big Boss. You put all of us to shame and inspire us to do better. Awesome. Just awesome.
http://mekaniacmachi...s.blogspot.com/

I'm a Nutter. I do commission work. PM me.

Nightserpent

Nightserpent

Arch Arsonist

• Bosses
  • 8,487 posts
Thanks for the kind words, guys! :thumbs

Not an epic model, what are you talking about? That's a giant grot, he's 40 feet tall to scale. ;) :lol

Gizmo- I have no problem with anyone not liking a model, these things are subjective- there probably isn't one anything out there in this world that everyone universally likes. My feelings aren't hurt if my models don't please everyone. However, we encourage members to be a bit more constructive about someone's submission than "god awfull" (sic), "loath" and "hate". Those are fairly volatile words you're throwing about.

Steering away from your opinions about other designs, and back to the original topic....

Ein- Sans paint, 'ere yer go:

deffwing_dread_unpainted_01.jpg

deffwing_dread_unpainted_02.jpg

deffwing_dread_unpainted_03.jpg

deffwing_dread_unpainted_04.jpg

deffwing_dread_unpainted_05.jpg

deffwing_dread_unpainted_06.jpg

deffwing_dread_unpainted_07.jpg

deffwing_dread_unpainted_08.jpg

deffwing_dread_unpainted_09.jpg

engine_unpainted_deffwing_d.jpg

Tinners

Tinners

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 362 posts
  • Army Name:Deff Korp uv Krump
That thing really is fantastic, very well detailed and built and the paint is amazing looking. I envy your skills. I was planning on making my dreds something similar to this so I will be using this alot as reference, if you dont mind. The only thing I'd say is the chainsaw is abit thin looking.

bad buddha

bad buddha

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 353 posts
  • Army Name:big mek Ork-skar and his inglorius bastards!
that is, hands down, the best dread i have ever seen! the only chritisism i can come up with is..... uhm..... ohhh, no nothing! :cheers
Dra skinnet bakåt...
a cheap hobby is not a real hobby!

AlexTheGolem

AlexTheGolem

Skarboy

• Deathskullz
  • 1,421 posts
  • Army Name:Death skulls
That is awesome. Wonderfull work there! I would have liked to see some source lighting with the eye though, heh, its still great!
What has happened?!

"And the ships hung in the sky, in the same way that bricks don't." ~ Douglas Adams

GENERATION 3: The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment

lootaboy

lootaboy

Gob Squig

• Grotz
  • 63 posts
Unpainted this looks completely insane, great work

Zorbag Skullsplitta

Zorbag Skullsplitta

Steel Teef

• Speed Freaks
  • 674 posts
  • Army Name:Skullsplittas Speed Freeks!!!
Woooow... That is beautiful. Nice rivetz. Beautiful paints. Doesn't seem to be as dirtyed up as your KoS stuff? Maybe it's just me. Wonderful though.
The Waaagh.. My sole diversion in what has otherwise been a pale and unamusing season.

There are some people who will tell you that haphazardly adding zombies to any game does not neccesarily improve it. Those people are idiots. GI

morfangdakka

morfangdakka

tougher than a cybork

• Deathskullz
  • 1,402 posts
  • Army Name:Morfang's Big Stompa Mob
It is good to see that you are still working on this army. The painting is always top notch and that is one impressive scratch build especially not using any GW bits. My favorite part is the back/ engine area. I am gad you decided not to rush this army and I always look forward to seeing more of this army.
QUOTE (eddie the troll @ Mar 24 2010, 09:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, the Venerable Morfangdakka. It has a certain feel to it.

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

Da Blue Ork

Da Blue Ork

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 410 posts
  • Army Name:Fish'ead Lootaz, Da Grot Rebellion uv Da Zzap
... GOD! AMAZING
GENERATION 3: The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment

Nightserpent

Nightserpent

Arch Arsonist

• Bosses
  • 8,487 posts
Continued thanks! :thumbs alexthegolem- I had considered that, but I guess my own personal verdict isn't up on source lighting. I am tempted to try it out one of these days. However, it would be tricky to do on a bright yellow vehicle. That's why I made it look like it was turned off, to not compete with the other bright yellows and whites. Zorbag- yep, a little dirty and rusty, but not as much as the KoS. These Bad Moons are rich, it seemed to make sense to not have them as beaten up. I couldn't resist a little bit here an there, though. ;)

invivos

invivos

Explosive Kranium

• Boyz
  • 598 posts
Wow looks great! :D Excellent paint job and scratchbuilding. I am not to keen on the deffwing idea, but hey if you like it, go for it! :yes
Visit my website: IN-VI-VOS conversions Updated 24.06.10!

Skargob Zagbad

Skargob Zagbad

Squighound

• Boyz
  • 112 posts
  • Army Name:Da Dragon Bref Tribe
Awesome!
My work in progress army blog - Da Return of da Snakebites (Dragon Bref Clan)

Green Grot

Green Grot

squig attack arm

• Grot Rebelz
  • 464 posts
Love it. 'tis awesome, do you have any more Deffwing models WiP at the moment? How did you paint the yellow, big lens and weathered metal? Is there a secret to doing the holes on the shoota so regular? I can never seem to get the holes on scratch built guns so regularly spaced even when I mark them out a make a pilot hole. :thumbs

AlexTheGolem

AlexTheGolem

Skarboy

• Deathskullz
  • 1,421 posts
  • Army Name:Death skulls

alexthegolem- I had considered that, but I guess my own personal verdict isn't up on source lighting. I am tempted to try it out one of these days. However, it would be tricky to do on a bright yellow vehicle. That's why I made it look like it was turned off, to not compete with the other bright yellows and whites.

Thats true, in wich case you did a great job with what you had.

How did you acheive that yellow? Is it p3? Or foundation?

Nice work again.
What has happened?!

"And the ships hung in the sky, in the same way that bricks don't." ~ Douglas Adams

Nightserpent

Nightserpent

Arch Arsonist

• Bosses
  • 8,487 posts
invivos- :lol heh, thanks, I will proceed, then. Perhaps if you knew more about the concept you might change your mind. Probably best discussed in another section. :yes Green Grot- all of the infantry, 25 of them, are primed and have a little paint on them. Probably not worth showing at this time, as they'll just look like black blobs. :lol Yellow, in a nutshell- white prime. bad moon yellow. wash ofBMY and snakebite. same + brown ink in recesses. drybrush BMY+ white. Yellow ink glaze. Diluted brown ink/vermin on bolts/rivets, etc. Drybrush BMY/white. Have you read Oddballz' article on weathered metal? That would probably fill you in on the effect. The lens was done just like any sort of gemstone tutorial, just with a lot more gradients from a dark grey to a light grey. Star with one color, then keep addind miute amounts of the other until you've reached the other side. It gets a lot trickier when the lenses get big, as any irregularities or uneven blends will look glaringly bad. When I drill out barrels, I take a pushpin and make a tiny hole as a pilot. If it's a tad off, I'll slightly angle the pin-vice to re-orient the hole. It's not always perfect, but often good enough for orky tech. ;)