Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Swoopas

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

Nazmek Kanshuvva

Nazmek Kanshuvva

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 372 posts
  • Army Name:Waaaagh! Grimbad
Right. I've built two of these already, and it's sharing time. Here's the one I've got painted. The old ones were made of 2mm so these will be a slight bit more thin.
Posted Image
Over the next short while I'm going to build another one to complete the three-plane squadron.

On game use: VDR guidelines: Small flyer, armed with three bombs, two combi-rokkitz (to represent small missiles and shootas on wings), one big shoota.

Now, one of these (unarmed and unpiloted) takes up a 5x9 cm rectangle of plasticard. The plasticard should be cut up like this:
Posted Image
(click on that to see the really big pic)
That's a picture of and actual piece of plasticard taken at a slight angle, so it's only a rough guide.
How to dissect it (and how big the lines really are):
Start with 5x9 cm. Use the picture and these instructions as a guide.

sides and tail wings:cut out a 2x5 cm rectangle (the one including both sides and the tail wings), cut it in half and remove the tail wings (height of triangle is one, base 1.5).

wings and bottom rear: cut out a 5x3 rectangle including the two wings and the bottom rear piece. The base of the bottom rear triangle is 1.5 cm, the sides are 2 cm, the height is 1.9 cm. Once that triangle is removed, cut the remainder in half and you have your wings.

grille bitz, top rear, wing supports(the empty little triangles): these are all on a 1x5 cm strip. Cut it out. Don't cut the top rear bitz apart, you don't have to. The triangles are like this:

this is one cm, the tip of the triangle divides it into two 1.5 cm segments
|...|...|
|..|.|..|
|.|...|.|this side is 1.5 cm
||.....||
one cm again

sorry, but that was the easiest way to explain. The grille bitz can be any shape you like as long as they're cut from the rest of this strip. They form the grille. (oddly enough)

rear sides: 1cmx1.7cm rectangle, cut in half diagonally.

bomm hatch: 1cmx1.7cm rectangle.

top front: 1cmx2cm.

bottom: 1cmx4.5cm

leftovers: find something to do with these. Make glyphs or something.

I hope you understood all that, next update I'll cut it all out and hopefully it's a bit more clear.

Gash Nak Iron Toof

Gash Nak Iron Toof

Stainless Steel Skull

• Boyz
  • 570 posts
I like it! What do you use it for in the game?

Check out Maxmini , Kromlech and Puppetswar for great conversion bits!

My blog: www.elotsip40k.blogspot.com

Andrew the Eternal

Andrew the Eternal

Dreadnought Pilot

• Bad Moonz
  • 1,894 posts
  • Army Name:Da Great 'Orde uv Nazgor Goldteef
Sigh.
Please actually read the entire post.

On game use: VDR guidelines: Small flyer, armed with three bombs, two combi-rokkitz (to represent small missiles and shootas on wings), one big shoota.

On topic, I am loving the mini-me Fighta-Bomma. Very Grotty, and the models works well visually. I don't know why, but the boxiness that would normally annoy me works perfectly on this model. :thumbs
QUOTE (GrimTeef @ Oct 12 2007, 12:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Orks even make more interesting corpses than Imperials. We're just that good.
You're smiling. When you smile, civilizations die.

Nazmek Kanshuvva

Nazmek Kanshuvva

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 372 posts
Probably cause it's so tiny in comparison to the pilot?

Kr00zA

Kr00zA

Grumpy ole Git

• Goffz
  • 9,989 posts
  • Army Name:Big Berk'z Bashaz
Nice work. I always seem to make my Grot stuff look to hi-tec... but this is perfectly Grotty ;)
Nuf Said.

Avatarz by KroozA and Animated Avatarz by KroozA ... Please dont link directly to them. Save one and upload it to the forum.

Tepok

Tepok

Skarboy

• Freebooterz
  • 1,447 posts
  • Army Name:Evil Moonz (Pirates)
Looks like a soap box racer with wings ;) Very cool, and looted :thumbs Tepok

Proppa Unproppa

Valandras

Valandras

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 235 posts
  • Army Name:Warboss Goldgobs Gitsquishas
Gork has answered my prayers. THE WHIZZ-BANGA SHALL HAVE GROT WINGMEN! As Tepok said, very cool, very looted!
Stomp! Stomp!!! STOMP!!!

"Never try to run away from a tyranid. They will catch you and eat you. Then again, you could always climb a tree. Then you'll get a nice view before the knock the tree down and eat you."

QUOTE (eddie the troll @ Apr 16 2008, 08:36 PM)
Any time, any place, any Waaagh

Nazmek Kanshuvva

Nazmek Kanshuvva

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 372 posts
Warning: The following segment has crap photos. Next time, no flash.

clarified photo:
Posted Image
Basics. Take the sides, stick the top rear and bottom between it in the appropriate places. Add wing supports to sides, then wings.

Posted Image
My hull didn't come out so good, as one side was larger than the other. I used a strip from one of the leftover bitz to cover a hole, and did some filing and shaving. It looks almost right now.
Put the rear sides so that the short side touches the side of the plane and the long touches the top rear. Once that's done, you can add the bottom rear, making a pyramid sticking down from the top rear and connecting to the bottom. At this point the craft becomes whooshable. (wheeeee!)

Next time: Better photos, making the pilot, and finishing the main structure

Side note:
Posted Image
You can scale up the same design. Here's my brother's shoddily-built 'eavy swoopa. Apart from the obvious (turret, more krew) it's basically 1.5 times as big but for the width, which IIRC is 2 times wider to make it look heavier.

Big Mek Guzzlegutt

Big Mek Guzzlegutt

Oily Squig

• Boyz
  • 107 posts
  • Army Name:?? Freebooters
Many Kudos on How-To! It's got me to get out of my chair to build something... many thanks!!! Guzz
All opinions submitted are of an individual known as Big Mek Guzzlegutt, and not those of the-Waagh or members.

Nazmek Kanshuvva

Nazmek Kanshuvva

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 372 posts
One of the reasons I'm building more swoopas is that I'm slowly going to accumulate a small bigmob (or at least that's the plan). As an extra (or oddgarg as I like to call them, like oddboy) I have a concept I drew up for an aircraft carrier gargant that stores swoopas inside it and uses an elevator to move them to the head and belly where they are spewed out. It would look really cool and be more fun than just rolling reserves for my swoopas. And it would be another big target to draw fire away from the important gargants. Also, having small flyers is fun and (I've never used them yet) I would guess very annoying for opponents as they're hard to take down and there'll be lots of 'em.
Waaagh da Grot Flyboyz!

another side note:
To make the engines you'll need some tubing. If you want to stay with using only 9x5 cm of plasticard, make some ball-point kannons. You'll have some tube left over from the pen. The thin white tube containing the pen's ink is mostly empty, so you can use it instead of plasticard tube. Just don't cut too close to the tip or you'll probably get ink everywhere (I don't know, I've never cut that close).

warlord nazdreg

warlord nazdreg

telescoping arm

• Bad Moonz
  • 517 posts
  • Army Name:Warboss Jreko Face-o's Badmoon Brawlaz
Hey maybe this could be in the 101 compilation *hint,hint*
Naz.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my warboss

sign the potition for Damnatus to go on the screen: here

QUOTE (Scarpia @ Jul 25 2007, 07:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey, that's my car!

Nazmek Kanshuvva

Nazmek Kanshuvva

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 372 posts
I'd need to do it again with better illustrations (probably could just make 'em in google sketchup, though) to make it viable for a 101.

On a related note, I may make a dioramic base for the whole squadron. Stuck a few poor souls onto a scrap of plasticard and set it up for a swoopa's strafing run. If I put it on the big display base I have lying around, I'll title it "RUN 'UMIES RUN!"
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Kr00zA

Kr00zA

Grumpy ole Git

• Goffz
  • 9,989 posts
  • Army Name:Big Berk'z Bashaz
The thing I like about these is their impratical design. Over the years Ork vehicles on the whole have moved away from the crazy design and the well used statment 'it werkz coz they beleive it'll werk' But Grot vehicles still have this craziness :thumbs
Nuf Said.

Avatarz by KroozA and Animated Avatarz by KroozA ... Please dont link directly to them. Save one and upload it to the forum.

Oddballz

Oddballz

He who was Snord

• Nobz
  • 5,164 posts
  • Army Name:Da Greenmarines; Rotfang's Skroungas (still WiP)
I like it, although it's the pilot I really like :thumbs It really does look like it was built by Grots - and likely to last about as long as a Grot does in combat.
Oddballz

"If you wants to understan' an enemy, you gotta walk a mile in his shoes. Den, if he's still your enemy, at least you're a mile away and he's got no shoes." Plateau, trollish philosopher

Nazmek Kanshuvva

Nazmek Kanshuvva

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 372 posts
Right. Time for the final bit of this walk-through.
If you've followed instructions well so far, you should have this:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Now we'll work on the pilot a bit. Take these legs from the plastic gobbos sprue (if you don't have it, just make an armoured canopy).
Posted Image

Posted Image
cut the legs away from the pelvis.
Shave the sides of the pelvis away until it fits neatly inside the plane facing forward.
Posted Image
Re-glue the legs to the front of the pelvis, making sure the piece still fits in the plane as you go.
Posted Image
Inhumane? No. These legs are still about the same size those of the fantasy gobbo footsloggers.
Posted Image
Give your grot a suitable head and torso.
Posted Image
Now, back to the plane. Glue in the grille bitz, making sure that the tops are a bit below the tops of the sides.
Posted Image
Before you glue the top on, test-fit it and see if your pilot will fit in the cockpit. If not, trim it down. Once done, glue it on.

Nazmek Kanshuvva

Nazmek Kanshuvva

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 372 posts
Posted Image
Give your grot arms. Make sure that any levers go not only downward but inward and that his arms are fairly raised.
Posted Image
Put your grot in the plane. He probably won't even touch the bottom.
Posted Image
Assemble the tail out of the two tail wings and a spare piece.
Posted Image

another side note:
To make the engines you'll need some tubing. If you want to stay with using only 9x5 cm of plasticard, make some ball-point kannons. You'll have some tube left over from the pen. The thin white tube containing the pen's ink is mostly empty, so you can use it instead of plasticard tube. Just don't cut too close to the tip or you'll probably get ink everywhere (I don't know, I've never cut that close).

Stick tubing or pen bitz like so:
Posted Image

All done. I won't arm this one right now 'cause I'm out of shootas, but arm as you see fit.

warlord nazdreg

warlord nazdreg

telescoping arm

• Bad Moonz
  • 517 posts
  • Army Name:Warboss Jreko Face-o's Badmoon Brawlaz
The guardsmen look great can't wait to see the whole thing finished.
Naz.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my warboss

sign the potition for Damnatus to go on the screen: here

QUOTE (Scarpia @ Jul 25 2007, 07:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey, that's my car!

Nazmek Kanshuvva

Nazmek Kanshuvva

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 372 posts
Finish it yourself! It's a walk through! :) Though if I get around to basing the skwadron I will post photos.

Biv

Biv

Frantik

• Freebooterz
  • 2,005 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh Bivrok!!
i love what you have done here, but I would suggest one change. Cuz, um, it needs to go up and down.

Add some flaps my friend. :)

Posted Image
Step 1: Collect orks
Step 2: ...
Step 3: Waaaaaaaaagh!

chockchan the arch dictator

chockchan the arch dictator

Stainless Steel Skull

• Goffs
  • 582 posts
  • Army Name:*under new management, no name yet*
great tutorial Nazmek!!! just finished building one myself. (well, still need to add armoured cockpit, engines, guns, etc). the only part i was confused about was the grill. i didn't know exactly what it looked like, since the pic is unbelievably fuzzy. but don't worry, i was able to fix it the orky way: cover it up! anyways, thanks for giving me something to do with my plasticard. ;)
QUOTE (DaSquigBrain @ Apr 27 2007, 09:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Butter and salt for the Blood God!

QUOTE (CannibalBob @ May 10 2007, 02:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My models are all assembled and kept together through sheer willpower.

Choppas. Making people successful in a changing world.
Records starting Jan. '09:
Orks-Wins 0/Draws 0/Losses 0
Empire-Wins 3/Draws 1/Losses 2