Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How to make a kannon

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

4tonmantis

4tonmantis

Wartrukk Driver

• Deathskullz
  • 1,654 posts
  • Army Name:Dethskulls and Badmoons...verging more on Freebooters...
This is NOT my thread... read down for the Original Thread by Nazmek! My original comments: Kinda cool... but waaaaay weedy... If the whole thing were mounted on a gun cradle I'd give it a solid 8.2. The tutorial is very easy and definetly a handy point of reference though. Keep 'em coming :thumbs
CODE
Originally Posted by Uthan the Perverse in 'Culture vs. Kultur: Thoughts on Orkish Society'
The Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst. Who are we to judge them? We panzee who have failed, or the Humans, on the road to ruin in their turn. And why? Because we sought answers to questions that an Ork wouldn't even bother to ask. We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude.

Check out my site and blog. Pardon the horrendous design.. it's a WiP

Nazmek Kanshuvva

Nazmek Kanshuvva

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 372 posts
  • Army Name:Waaaagh! Grimbad
In case anyone's wondering, this isn't mantis's thread, he's first because there was an issue posting and the mods (thank goodness) have sorted it out. Mantis having first post is a side effect.

This thread is a tutorial. I will now demonstrate how to turn a rather generic pen:
Posted Image
into a rather generic artillery piece (three with extra parts added & based):
Posted Image
If you will excuse bad photos for the duration of the thread i would be a happy grot.

To start out, remove the ink resevoir. This may take some prying.
Posted Image

Now, cut out the following parts (with a saw):
A: approx. 1" off non-writing end of pen.
B: approx 1" (15/16ths exactly on this one) off lower (wider) end of cap. If you wish you may leave some or all of the clip attached to make a trail if your kannon will be mounted on wheels.
C: approx 3mm off upper (thinner) end of cap

Posted Image
(the segments in the illustration are off size and are only so you know exactly where each part is. Use the measurements for actual cutting)

You should now have these parts:
Posted Image
A, B, C, left to right.

A, which will form the end of the barrel, has a blocked end.
Posted Image
bad pic.

Nazmek Kanshuvva

Nazmek Kanshuvva

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 372 posts
Get rid of it.
Posted Image

Now, thread part A through part B (don't glue anything yet!):
Posted Image
Can you see the gun now?

Before you finish, look at the non-business end of the gun.
Posted Image
There's an unsightly hole.

Part C will be stuck into there to form the hatch for the insertion of ammo:
Posted Image

Before you glue, pick your pose (if you want it to be a moving part glue C to B but not A to B and then you can make it 'recoil' to show that you've already fired it in the shooting phase):
Posted Image
firing

Posted Image
not firing

Now glue it up however you want, mount it somehow (I make stands out of sprue, but you could use wheels or plasticard, remember, this doesn't have to be for a battery, you can put it on vehicles, too), put it on a base (or vehicle), and you're done!
Posted Image
Kaboom!

Oddballz

Oddballz

He who was Snord

• Nobz
  • 5,164 posts
  • Army Name:Da Greenmarines; Rotfang's Skroungas (still WiP)
Nazmek's post should be the first, obviously; Mantis's post was moved from Nazmek's duplicate thread (which has been deleted), but ended up at the top of this one. Sorry for any confusion my slightly inept modding may have caused!
Oddballz

"If you wants to understan' an enemy, you gotta walk a mile in his shoes. Den, if he's still your enemy, at least you're a mile away and he's got no shoes." Plateau, trollish philosopher

Boss Stompy

Boss Stompy

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 257 posts
  • Army Name:Da Bloo Ransackas
I'm always amazed when I see the stuff that ork players can come up with when using stuff just found around the house. Is the one in the middle in the process of shooting the cannon ball out? If so can we see a pic of that one from the side. I would like to see how you modeled it with green stuff. And what did you use for the cannon balls?
Visit my blog - The Forge of Mars

Nazmek Kanshuvva

Nazmek Kanshuvva

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 372 posts
@ stompy- answers in order that questions were asked.
a)yes.
b)yes.
Posted Image
c)plastic BBs (and GS for one). don't know what calibre; I didn't buy them I scavenged them from various places and people.

For the fire I just kind of wrapped the green stuff around the ball, twisted it a bit and attached it to the kannon, with the ball resting on something so it didn't droop. I waited for a while until the gs hardened then poked holes in it with a pin.

Krysath

Krysath

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 456 posts
Looks cool, but any chance of a barry shot?
View some of my Waaagh here...

I Must learn to stop arguing with idiots, they drag me down to their level and kill my brain with experience... Seriously... I can feel it dribbling out of my ears....

4tonmantis

4tonmantis

Wartrukk Driver

• Deathskullz
  • 1,654 posts
  • Army Name:Dethskulls and Badmoons...verging more on Freebooters...
I like the flame effect! I do think the connection between the gout of flame and the projectile is a bit obvious, but I get the idea and anyone wanting to do it for themselves can clearly see how it's done :thumbs (if any mods wanna merge my original post down to this one I won't mind)
CODE
Originally Posted by Uthan the Perverse in 'Culture vs. Kultur: Thoughts on Orkish Society'
The Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst. Who are we to judge them? We panzee who have failed, or the Humans, on the road to ruin in their turn. And why? Because we sought answers to questions that an Ork wouldn't even bother to ask. We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude.

Check out my site and blog. Pardon the horrendous design.. it's a WiP

Nazmek Kanshuvva

Nazmek Kanshuvva

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 372 posts

Looks cool, but any chance of a barry shot?

You mean scale shot, right? (i'm new here) Here's Nazmek Kanshuvva checking to see if the grots did their work right (or need to get kicked harder).
Posted Image

dumbuket

dumbuket

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 255 posts
they still look pretty bad

Nazmek Kanshuvva

Nazmek Kanshuvva

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 372 posts
It's a matter of taste. I personally don't like the stock models because their barrels look too small to me. The point of this conversion is to take something I have too much of (those pens) and make something I have too little of out of it, not to make the most amazing kannon ever thought up.

Skylifter

Skylifter

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 6 posts
I like the idea, though I must admit that the execution does not seem to do it justice. It might partly be because of the pictures, they're very dark and don't show the mountings of the kannonz too well, making them look more or less like gun barrels lying on the ground. I think they'd benefit from some kind of wheels. It would make them look a lot more like artillery pieces. Also, I think they'll look the part much more once they're painted - maybe try that and upload a few more pics, preferably brighter ones - I'd think you'll get more positive responses then. Edit: for example, in the larger, brighter picture, the gun with the cannon ball looks a bit better. It could still use a bit of work on the mounting, as it looks like its nose should actually drop to the floor, as it is only fixed at the back.
I luve da smell uf scorchaz in da morning. Smells like...WAAAAAAAAGH!

foxy_grampa

foxy_grampa

Big Gun Krew

• Boyz
  • 199 posts
  • Army Name:Goffs
love em! good paint job and nobody will think twice.
Nobodys perfect
and i am nobody
so theirfor
I AM PERFECT!

foxy_grampa

Zogmagog

Zogmagog

telescoping arm

• Boyz
  • 499 posts
  • Army Name:Zogmagog's Red Menazz
I think these are great quick and easy models. I think it might be better with bigger pens. But everything bigger is better so that's no surprise. Great job. Lets see how they look painted.
Where's da trukk?

Nazmek Kanshuvva

Nazmek Kanshuvva

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 372 posts

It might partly be because of the pictures, they're very dark and don't show the mountings of the kannonz too well, making them look more or less like gun barrels lying on the ground.

I just figured out why that is. The photos come out clearer with the flash but I use a gigantic blunderbuss shaped lense so when I place it really close the lense makes a shadow. Next time I'll try using a tripod and a really bright room.

I think they'd benefit from some kind of wheels. It would make them look a lot more like artillery pieces.

I was going to make one with wheels (lift the clip attached to the cap to make a trail) but ended up gluing it to my gargant's head (in that case, it actually is a gun stuck to the ground).

Snodrag Da Mantork

Snodrag Da Mantork

Growler (pet squig)

• Grotz
  • 90 posts
  • Army Name:Da Mantork Kult
When I look at these, I cant help but think "What a cheap and easy way to build Grotzooka's for a squad of Kans"! Brilliant conversion. You are an Ork after me own heart
I just wanna know where da teef at

grusmock

grusmock

telescoping arm

• Snakebitez
  • 509 posts
  • Army Name:da red cruzadezz
snodrag dont be diggin up old threads!
"Da old wayz ar' da best!" "We'z don't need yer stinken teknoligy!" "Is dat a double barreled 'xtra shooty mega blasta with 'xtra scopes and a red paint job?!?!" "Ill take five."

Drew Da Destroya!

Drew Da Destroya!

'Ead Graft

• Speed Freaks
  • 714 posts
  • Army Name:None, yet, still workin on my Fluff
Hear that thumpin? Probably the boss's footsteps on their way to lock for threadnomancy. However, before they do that, I think this is a solid article to add to the Mek's Garage FAQ, or better yet, the Compilations Thread.
However, as we know, Gorkamorka favours the hopeless optimist and players who hold back on their shots should be jeered loudly.

Shadow

Shadow

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,417 posts
  • Army Name:Rust Ridge Raidaz
I guess this would come under threadcromacy as all you've done is commented on something that ended just under a year ago. I'll admit its a great piece, but your not really significantly contributing Snodrag... then again neither am I... :? shade
Of course all my topics are pic heavy, you know why? because people don't want to open 12 hyperlinks a page! it stands to reason

"The act of converting is not a matter of creating the best weapon ever, its creating the best weapon ever but by using bits and pieces that anyone can use but no one has ever thought use in that way."

- Shadow.

waaagh5744

waaagh5744

Grot Slave

• Boyz
  • 142 posts
  • Army Name:orks, grot rebelz,trench boyz
too small :P :P :P cheers waaagh