Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Grotfang Warstomp Finally Painted!

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Grotfang Warstomp

Grotfang Warstomp

Tankbusta Boy

• Speed Freaks
  • 449 posts
  • Army Name:Da Iron Skullz (see my blog in my signature)
Well I painted up my warboss and had hoped to get some critiques in my army blog, but nobody stepped forward, so here are some pics, and I have a few questions to get people's advice on.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
The Klaw
Posted Image
The bosspole
Posted Image

I thought I would paint him darker than the rest of my boyz due to the fact that since he'z da boss, he is da most serious of da bunch! :biggrin

Please note that I'm not fishing for compliments here (but if you like it I wouldn't be offended by one :lol), I have a few questions for the kronorks of the ork painting world out there:
How can I get my striations on the skin to be more drastic. They seem too subdued to me.
Any tips for making the skull on the bosspole cleaner?
Also has anyone found a good way to paint eyes under helmets like that one?
Oh and I would like to hear what you guys think about his cloth- in particular his pants.

Anything to answer any of those questions would be great! :thumbs
-Grotfang

Soopa man

Soopa man

Runtherder for life

• Boyz
  • 363 posts
  • Army Name:Da justice league of waagh
Well, I'm not the most competent of painters, but I can try to help. -To get more dramatic striations, use more highlights. Use a brigther green, or mix a yellow (such as bad moon or golden) into the last layer of highlights to make it brigther. -To clean up the skull, well, all I can suggest is repaint it, sorry. -The pants are okay, maybe a little more transition between highlights (though, I shouldn't be one to speak). Overall, hes pretty good. I like him. Always did love those moaning chain-choppas.

QUOTE ("Orkeosaurus)
God exists, and so does the Devil, only it's really more like twenty Devils, and they all want to see you suffer, and god is paralyzed for life and has to eat souls to keep breathing, but you still worship him because he eats less souls than any of the Devils, and Jesus decided to betray god and his clone still goes around killing people.

And this is why green is best. None of this mucking about with the "lesser of 21 evils" or nuttin. Just krumpin, good an proppa.

Stuart

Stuart

Outed 'umie luvva

• Blood Axez
  • 926 posts
  • Army Name:Kommissar Killjoy's Kavalry Korpz
That's wierd that I've been missing your updates, I'm a fan of the army. Great looking paintjob you've got. The only problem I see looks to be a bit of paint bleeding on the blue Power Klaw cable.

IronShark

IronShark

Dreadsock Enforcer

• Nobz
  • 4,364 posts
  • Army Name:WAAAGH Morgrim!
Looks good. My only suggestion would be to try and add some more color to the choppa, and to a lesser extent, the claw. Perhaps do the rear chain guard on the choppa in the same manner as the red shoulder plate.
Being a winner is easy if your definition of victory is flexible enough.

Grubgutz

Grubgutz

Speckled Bloodshade Fungus

• Grotz
  • 18 posts
  • Army Name:Waaaagh! Grubgutz
Looks great! But if you did want to change the skin colours I would recommend what Soopa said. I tend to have a final highlight mixed with Golden Yellow becuase it seems to really bring out the area and not in an over the top way. Great Job Though! Grubgutz

Kronork

Kronork

particularly odious and dishonest barrister

• Speed Freaks
  • 2,564 posts
Looks to me that you're just a few highlights short. I think you might need 2 more highlights for the skin. Remember that the lighter the colour the smaller the area you paint with it should be, so keep the last highlight lines short and try to place them on the "highest" spot, to represent where light would be strongest(or reflecting back). The armor could use a lihgter highlight as well, just to bring it out, it also needs to be applied to the corners and the highest spot, to accentuate the armor contours and form. What skull are you talking about? The ork glyph skull? Or the skull(s)? What's wrong with your eyes under the helmet? There will always be a natural shadow under that type of helmet, basicly casting the eyes in shadow at all time. I think the pants look ok, tho perhaps a bit rough on the highlighting. Using a different color for the stiches might be an idea. Cheers

Hac in hora,
sine mora,
corde pulsum tangite;
quod per sortem, sternit fortem
mecum omnes plangite!

BigOrk

BigOrk

Flesh Eater Squig

• Grotz
  • 89 posts
  • Army Name:Ork
I think your skin needs more highlights, Looks like you have 2 colours ?, needs an extra mid colour between the two to help the transition, plus an extra one or two upper highlights. The boss pole looks good, what you've achieved looks quite realistic... unfortunately realistic sometimes looks a little messy or washed out on models.

Grotfang Warstomp

Grotfang Warstomp

Tankbusta Boy

• Speed Freaks
  • 449 posts
Ok thanks to all who gave me some advice! I have decided on doing a bit more on him: -Black wash the chainchoppa (to define highlights) -Do another coat of wash on the pants -Mix my top coat of skin with some yellow and do a final highlight -Not do anything to the bosspole :biggrin (It looks much better to me after looking at it again so I will leave it) -clean up the 'bleeding' power klaw cables Keep the tips rolling in, and if someone would want to break my streak of consecutive posts on my blog, feel free to leave something there. :lol Thanks :thumbs

Kronork

Kronork

• Speed Freaks
  • 2,564 posts

-Mix my top coat of skin with some yellow and do a final highlight

I'd suggest using bleached bone instead of yellow.

Cheers

Hac in hora,
sine mora,
corde pulsum tangite;
mecum omnes plangite!

Grotfang Warstomp

Grotfang Warstomp

Tankbusta Boy

• Speed Freaks
  • 449 posts
Alright I was actually thinking of using bleached bone instead of yellow, because I only have golden yellow (i'm not a weedy bad moon, so I don't use it often). Maybe a 75/25 mix of camo to bleached? Thoughts?

Captain Destructo

Captain Destructo

Gyro Stabilised Monowheel

• Boyz
  • 526 posts
  • Army Name:There isn't one.
Sounds good to me, but if you're unsure, you could try it on a spare boy, and see what you reckon. :?

Grubnar

Grubnar

Grot Oiler

• Boyz
  • 166 posts
  • Army Name:Grubnar´s Freebooters
The skin and most of the rest of the model look good to me. The thing to keep in mind is "how does it look 1-2 feet away?" also know as the gaming standard. It doesnt really matter that much what it looks like only a few cm from the eye. The only thing I dont like is the check pattern on the bosspole skull icon and the helmet. The pattern itself is fine, its placement is not. I would have put it on the iron gob or the flat shoulder guard. The skull icon is a bit destorted like this. Oh, and I think you should paint the triangle on the other shoulderguard in a contrasting color, maybe red or blue? But all things considered, a job well done! :thumbs

Grotfang Warstomp

Grotfang Warstomp

Tankbusta Boy

• Speed Freaks
  • 449 posts

Oh, and I think you should paint the triangle on the other shoulderguard in a contrasting color, maybe red or blue?

Do you think if I did red, that the 'goff' scheme would be lessened? Maybe white/bleached bone ish instead?

I like that idea though! Will do! :whip

Kronork

Kronork

• Speed Freaks
  • 2,564 posts

Alright I was actually thinking of using bleached bone instead of yellow, because I only have golden yellow (i'm not a weedy bad moon, so I don't use it often). Maybe a 75/25 mix of camo to bleached?

Paint proportions(yeah, my mind refuses to give me a better word atm) aren't really that imporant, rather than 75/25 you should go for something that looks lighter than the color you are applying it on top of. :thumbs

Cheers

Hac in hora,
sine mora,
corde pulsum tangite;
mecum omnes plangite!