Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Da OONF! is back with "Big Hook", Da Pirate Gargant

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
156 replies to this topic

Da Goff Rokker

Da Goff Rokker

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 261 posts
  • Army Name:Da League of Ekstraurdinary Orks
Some fluff first (skip this if you want and go directly to the pics ;) ):

- Ahoi, ya lazy grot! Da Big Mek iz dere? Tell him dat Dokta Arrrab iz here!
- Yessir, ole Weeny Legz iz in da back of da scrapyard, I will take you dere...

Both the Mad Dok and the little spanna Grot walked between huge piles of scraped metal and looted parts until they found Weeny Legz, the Big Mek, working on some sort of machine, sitting on his armored and tracked wheelchair.

- Weeny Legz, gud ta see ya - said the Dok with a big toothed smile - ya know, my offer to replace your legz wiv some brand new bionik ones still stands, only a couple of teeth...
- Nay, I prefer a bullet thru ma head than laying on your bench, Arrrab! It will hurt much less, and will be free! - said the Big Mek, smoking his fungus-weed pipe and turning his wheelchair to face him - What brings you ´ere, ole´friend? I iz really busy...
- Yeah, ya know, da latest news after da last scrap we had wif da oomies...
- Yup, pretty bad... I saw Kaptin Hook taking dat Demolisha round squarely on his chest... If Krabz did not take the lead of da Boyz in dat battle and krumped da Oomies we would be feasting wiv Gork and Mork by now... I told da Boss not to take dat damned tank alone, but he wont lissen ta me... Now he iz squig meat... Grinded squig meat, ya know... RAR RAR RAR...
- Errrm, yes, da Boss was shot pretty bad...
- Pretty bad?!?! He exploded! Now Krabz iz fighting da other Nobs to see who will be da new Warboss ov´ da OONF, and I bet all my teeth on him...

The Dok smiled again with a mischiveous grin at the Mek - Well, Weeny, what if I told ya dat da Boss waz not krumped dat bad...
- Impossible! I saw what was left of him - or what was NOT left of him!
- Hehehe, you iz not da only one wif some tricks in da sleeve, Big Mek! Ya know, after a battle my orderlies bring to me all the - how can I say - "spare parts" they can find for some ekxperiments... In the middle of the pile I saw what was left of da Boss, and I worked fast... Rememba dat Beakie Dread you looted some moonz ago and dat I bought from you? Part ov da machinery dat keep da krumped beakie alive inside it was intact, so I wired da Boss in it, and by Mork, he awakened!
- WHAT?!?!?! Ya iz telling me dat Kaptin Hook iz alive?
- Well, sort of...
- Gud news, Arrrab! So I guess you iz 'ere to ask me ta make a new body for da Boss? He must be eager to get to his feet again to take revenge ov da oomies! I have diz brand new Mega Armor 'ere dat wif some modifications...
- Hummmm, no, diz will not work...
- Why not?
- Ya know, da machinery to keep him alive iz big, and needs a lot ov powa to run...
- Oh, I see... Ok, so lets wire him in a Dread! Da Boss will be happy wiv dat! If we can wire a Grot to a Killa Kan, we can wire da Boss in a Dread...
- Hummm, when I say dat it needs a lot ov powa I mean a REALLY lot of powa...
The Big Mek gave a puzzled look at Dok Arrrab. - How much?
- Well, roight now I´m using the Plasma Reaktor of one Battlewagon...
- A WHOLE PLASMA REAKTOR ONLY TO POWER THE LIFE SUPPORT MACHINERY?!?!?!
- Yup.
- By Gork, you nutz, Dok! To make a new body big enuf to accomodate a plasma reaktor for the supporting machine AND the other engines required for movement it will have to be the size of a small Garg... - the Big Mek stopped in mid sentence as a sudden flash of understanding stroke him, followed by a huge grin - Ooooooh, I see...
- Hehehehe, I always know dat you iz a smart git, Weeny Legz... When you start?
- Roight now! - replied the Big Mek smiling.

------ END OF FLUFF PART ----

Well, my fellow Waaghers, after almost 4 months distant from my Orks (I traveled to another country due to work) I´m back with da OONF! And to restart my work I decided to take a big new project: make a Gargant for my pirate warband!

After much thinking (ouch...) on a design I decided to follow the steps (or stomps) of master mek Ein and take my chances on another "concept art" Stompa/Gargant! For the ones that did not know what I´m talking about, here´s the pic:
Posted Image

Well, I wanted to stick to this design as much as possible, making only some changes to "fit" this gargant in my naval/pirate army theme. Also I wanted to scale him up to make not a normal stompa, but something between a Supa Stompa or a fully sized Gargant, that according to Kr00za charts must stand between 25-30cm or 10-12 inches.

Well, enuf talk and some pics:

Unlike Ein, who started with the feet, I decided that starting with the head will give me a better sense of scale:

Posted Image

The lower jaw:

Posted Image

With a Barry in his Gob to give a sense of scale:

Posted Image

Detail of the ear, with a Techmarine shouderpad and an Aquila Imperialis as earrings (it will be a pirate Gargant, after all)

Posted Image

Well, as for the fluff I put in the beginning of this post, my idea is that the Warboss of da OONF! is directly wired in this Gargant, so probably I will end up with the biggest Warboss ever made! :) I plan to make the chest front plate removable so we can see the remains of Kaptin Hook (my "deceased" Warboss) and his life supporting machinery, making also some parts of the interior visible. I will be using LEDs to light the chest cavity, the head and the plasma reaktor in his back. And the other modifications I plan to make over the concept art include transforming one of his feet in a pneumatic pegleg, changing the power claw into a gigantic Hook and putting a pirate hat over the head (yes, someone had to make a Gargant with a pirate hat - Rarrrr!).

That´s it for the moment! I will post some WIP pics later (no time for this now) and will keep you updated on the progress, since I will need a lot of advice, help, critics and suggestions from you guys!

Cheers,

Da Goff Rokker

Shadow

Shadow

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,417 posts
  • Army Name:Rust Ridge Raidaz
Good start, but it could do with a neck, or some sort of hydralic system for the lower jaw. Shade (knows best.)
Of course all my topics are pic heavy, you know why? because people don't want to open 12 hyperlinks a page! it stands to reason

"The act of converting is not a matter of creating the best weapon ever, its creating the best weapon ever but by using bits and pieces that anyone can use but no one has ever thought use in that way."

- Shadow.

xzantrax

xzantrax

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 224 posts
Always nice to see a new gargant taking shape. Fluff: I totally love the fluff-part, it is well written orky and inspiring. Model: Hard to tell how the gargant will turn out just from the head, but it shure is a great head. Could need something in the eyes behind the grilles though. I reckon the gargant is driven by the (almost) late warboss, but what about secondart systems= will you have other crews for that, managing the reaktor, big-shootas and such?
Remember the golden rule of engineering: measure once, cut twice, grind to fit.

Gaf-Naz

Gaf-Naz

Mayor of Orktown

• Bad Moonz
  • 1,992 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh! Gaf-Naz, Da Inter-Hive Firm
You don't know how happy I am to see the OONF back in action! :love The fluff was great, you will have the 'ardest boss to ever walk the battlefield. ;) You've chosen a great sketch to work from and it'll be interesting to see how yours differs from Ein's. The planned piratey additions are all good ideas - finally a gargant with a pirate hat! :biggrin How about giving him a rivetted-on eye patch and making the grot bombs into parrots? Looking forward to watching this build. :cheers
Ork Town III - Terrain building competition, sponsored by Ramshackle Games.

Do you need some 6th edition fortifications for your army, a new terrain piece or an 'armies on display' board?

Then build it, paint it, post it and move into "da orkiest town in da ooniverse", and have the chance of winning a prize!

Ein

Ein

Yellow Paint Job

• Boyz
  • 1,492 posts
  • Army Name:I still don't actually have a name for 'em.
I am definitely curious. Starting at the head is certainly a different approach - I worked from the ground up mostly because I wanted the model to be standing while I was building it, but by the time I hit the head I wasn't sure how to handle it. I am interested in seeing how closely you follow the sketch aside from the deviations you've mentioned. I decided to deviate in some places (i.e. grotpit in the torso) mostly just to add a personal touch to it, and I like your warboss-inside idea. You've executed the ears well. Re: The hook instead of the claw... have you perhaps considered a harpoon? It would stick to the general theme, and still add that nice and lethal touch that a giant hook may not.
Like my work? Check my blog!
http://www.the-warforge.com
Resin-cast bits and bobs for your armies!
WARFORGED MINIATURES

Adventures of a Prehistoric Puppet!
MURRAY THE DINOSAUR

AlexTheGolem

AlexTheGolem

Skarboy

• Deathskullz
  • 1,421 posts
  • Army Name:Death skulls
Yay! You're back! :) Its looking very nice, as does eins, I would love to see the two when finished next to each other.
What has happened?!

"And the ships hung in the sky, in the same way that bricks don't." ~ Douglas Adams

GENERATION 3: The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment

Da Goff Rokker

Da Goff Rokker

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 261 posts
Oh my! :biggrin I´m very happy to know that you guys remembered me and my work! It was a lot of time since I last posted here! You made a Grot happy! :)

Now for some more fluff (again, skip this if you want to go to the updates)

- Weeny Legz! Are you dere, ya lazy git? - shouted Dok Arrrab at the scrapyard gates
- Uvver'ere! Come in!

As he walked inside, the Mad Dok saw in the back of the scrapyard a titanic steel head under construction, with Weeny Legz zooming around on his wheelchair, frantically shouting orders to a swarm of Grotz.

- Oooooh, da workz are going nice! Job´s a gud un!
- Gud ta know you liked it! Tell da Boss dat I iz doing ma best!
- No problem wiv dat, Legz! I see that da head iz almot complete, and diz gob iz real gud! Kaptin Hook will be pleased! But I think dat you iz forgotting sumfing...
- What?
- Da hat...
- A hat?!?!?!?! What stoopid git will want a hat in a Gargant?
- Well, da Boss will...
- Humpf! Diz iz stoopid...
- Ya betta do what da Boss wants, Legz! Ya know how da Boss liked his big hat, always wiv it uvva his head... And since now ALL that was left ov him iz his head, he may be a little bit pricky wiv diz point...

---- END OF FLUFF ----

Well, as the story above says, I tried my mek skills into making a Gargant pirate hat... I´m not sure how well I liked it, but I may grow accstumed to it... The hardest part was not to make it too big (will look too umbalanced on the model) or too small (will look ridiculous), so I leave it to you guys to make your opinions and critics:

Front of the hat, with the Freebooterz/Pirate glyph in the front, the text "Devastator and Killer of Weeny Beakie Titans" in orkish at the left (this is to taunt some of my skumgrods that recently bought 2 Forgeworld Harhound Titans) and the Boss personal badge at the right (Boss Hook in glyphs):

Posted Image

Detail pic of the top of the hat:

Posted Image

The hat over the head (it is attached with magnets, so I can swap it easly if I get bored of it)

Posted Image

I´ve done some more work also on some pieces of the arms...

Basic structure of the left arm (the one that will hold the Hook/power klaw/Harpoon)

Posted Image

Kannon Barrel that will be placed on the right arm...

Posted Image

...and the circular blade saw that will go below it

Posted Image

Also, a pic of the Big Mek "Weeny Legz" model... Unfortunately I´ve made it while I was travelling, so I have no WIP pics, only the finished and primed model... It was made from a 1:144 scale WWII tank tracks, deffkopta parts and various bitz, plasticard, jewelers chain, etc... I hope you liked his armored/tracked wheelchair (he could not walk due to a failed experiment with his legs):

Posted Image

Well, now for the commentz! :)

@Shadow: Rest assured! It will have a huge hydraulic structure as soon as I make the basic structure of the body... Lots of things to do yet! And lots of rivvitz too!

@xzantrax: My thanks! And yes, it will have a swarm of Grotz all over it, manning the secondary systems and doing all sort of maintenance work, and a bunch of Orks manning the weapons...

@Gaf-Naf: I´m glad you liked my work on Da OONF! And I hope you liked the pirate hat showed above! As for the eye-patch, can you imagine that I completely forgot it!?!?! :crybaby Well, back to the drawing board on the head... No serious pirate-gargant can walk around without an eyepatch! As for the parrot, I have some ideas, but they are secret now... ;)

@Ein: Good to hear your comments, since as I told before, I´m trying to follow your "stomps" on this project! I decided to take the inverse way of your work because of the scaling... I tought that with the head done it would be easier to make the body and then the legs... But this is proving to be a little bit more difficult than I envisioned... I hope to get your help on this, and I re-read your entire post (all the 44 pages!) as homework before starting this! And BTW, great idea with the harpoon! :thumbs

@Alexthegoem: Thanks, and I hope you ewnjoy this project too as the last ones!

Well, as always, comments, ideas and critics are more than welcome!

Cheers,

Da Goff Rokker

Gaf-Naz

Gaf-Naz

Mayor of Orktown

• Bad Moonz
  • 1,992 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh! Gaf-Naz, Da Inter-Hive Firm
I think you've done a great job on the hat, and a lot of lovely glyphs. :thumbs Nice idea having it interchangeable. No more problems with "I can't take my gargant to the wedding/funeral/party as it doesn't have the right hat"! :lol I like the look of Weeny Legs too. It's good to see who's behind the krazy mekwork of the OONF. Keep up the good work. :cheers
Ork Town III - Terrain building competition, sponsored by Ramshackle Games.

Do you need some 6th edition fortifications for your army, a new terrain piece or an 'armies on display' board?

Then build it, paint it, post it and move into "da orkiest town in da ooniverse", and have the chance of winning a prize!

deamoncow

deamoncow

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,031 posts
  • Army Name:Da Gear Boyz
Remember now, since Kaptin Hook is almost dead, and he's a gargant now, you need a new boss to fill in for boss stats woze... or you oculd keep with you current Kaptin Hook model and just rename him... but i think you should build a new one!
WAAAGH DA GEAR BOYZ!
Warboss~Gregza Un Bonzif da Stompy
Big Mek~Big Mek Dogbreff

If there is an Ork Stompa released by GW anytime this year I will eat my own genitalz winkingOrk.gif
~Kr00za

I'm holding you to this Kr00za, you better do it. Pics or medical forms as proof

HAMPSTER SQUADRON my webcomic! http://hamsquadcomic.googlepages.com/

Lorax of the Bleeding Grin

Lorax of the Bleeding Grin

'Ard Boy

• Freebooterz
  • 863 posts
  • Army Name:Feral
I remember seeing this picture a while back. I like the pirate idea/hat! So is he going to be apart of a freebooters army? Because I would love to see a freebooters pirate stompa, and it sounds like my wish may come true... :cheers
QUOTE (4tonmantis @ Nov 26 2008, 11:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gentlemen...welcome to the Lorax effect.. those wishing to learn it be warned...part of the process involves snorting a gerbil and whacking yourself with a clawhammer.

QUOTE (Ug Thok @ Jun 9 2008, 04:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lorax: Da MacGyver uv da Waaagh!

QUOTE (Zagursnik @ Feb 22 2008, 03:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
*The Lorax of the Bleeding Grin Effect reffers to models so cobbled toegther with different parts & bitz that ya can't tell whats what until the first coat of paint hits the plastic, metal, pape mache or whatever else it is you found in the garage or under the sofa to build with.

Stuart

Stuart

Outed 'umie luvva

• Blood Axez
  • 926 posts
  • Army Name:Kommissar Killjoy's Kavalry Korpz
That should be quite the Gargant. The teeth are very reminiscent of an Anglerfish. Though I suppose you're going with the Captain's Hat, you could consider having a little glowy light thing dangling on his forehead.

Either way, it's cool to see an expert like yourself back in action.

Arche Klaine

Arche Klaine

I AM SECRETLY AVAC' (shh, don't tell)

• On Notice
  • 0 posts
  • Army Name:-
Piratic Gargant? Oh my! Heh. An admirable experiment. Looking forward to see this titan finished. I like the way the head was done. Personally the teef are awesome. I prefer the overall look of the head than Ein's. Perhaps it will be better than his? :D

4tonmantis

4tonmantis

Wartrukk Driver

• Deathskullz
  • 1,654 posts
  • Army Name:Dethskulls and Badmoons...verging more on Freebooters...
I too am thrilled to see tha Goff Rocker back!!! I'm liking the head though I won't go saying 1 build is better than another (especially with 1 not even being done) I just consider it to be another great projekt here on tha good ole Waaagh! I'd like to see a harpoon too, though I'm sure a hook could be just as cool. The hat is one small touch that reminds me why my first sentence is true! Magnet hats, even better! Make sure there's a santa hat and bunny ears for easter. Thanks for sharing this and weenie legs is suitably psychotic looking.
CODE
Originally Posted by Uthan the Perverse in 'Culture vs. Kultur: Thoughts on Orkish Society'
The Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst. Who are we to judge them? We panzee who have failed, or the Humans, on the road to ruin in their turn. And why? Because we sought answers to questions that an Ork wouldn't even bother to ask. We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude.

Check out my site and blog. Pardon the horrendous design.. it's a WiP

Da Goff Rokker

Da Goff Rokker

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 261 posts
I´m back with some updates and a few questions, my friends!

But now for the replies & comments:

@Gaz-Naz: Hehehe, I´m glad you liked it, both da hat and da Mek! My Thanks! ;)

@deamoncow: Oh, rest assured of that! If you remember in the first part of my fluff I mentioned a nob called "Krabz". In fact he will fullfill the role of a bike mounted warboss on my list... But obviously a bike is not something very "nautical/pirate" looking, so his "ride" will be a little different... Stay tuned for it!

@Lorax: Hehehe, try a search on "OONF" and take a look of my other pirate/nautical vehicles and some models... All of them have a piratey look on them...

@Stuart: I ABSOLUTELY loved this idea... It may be hard to combine with the hat, but since it is removable, I can make a "dangling light" new one for deep waters operashuns...

@Arche Klaine: Better than Ein´s Stompa? :eek Impossible! I may try to make one as good as his, but that beauty cannot be surpassed... :blush

@4tonmantis: My thanks for your kind words and wise comments! ;) And the Santa hat will be certainly made! I loved the idea!

Well, now for the update pics:

I started the basic shape of the body and the arm/shoulder connections. The front plate is still open since it will be removable and the interior will be fully detailed, including the remains of Boss Hook inside the life supporting machine

Posted Image

Detail of the shoulder connectors made of PVC fittings... Those fittings have a "screw" on them (lack of a better word in english) so I can turn/screw the arms for painting and transportation. Also you could see the gears I made so "turn" the arms...

Posted Image

Detail pic of the body with the head, Weeny Legz and a boy for size comparison. Here you can note that I´ve made a "straighter" and leaner body, not so squatty looking

Posted Image

Detail of the "Powa Hook" arm, still lacking a lot of detailing and rivvits of course!

Posted Image

"Powa Hook" arm connected to the body

Posted Image

Now for my questions! I really need your advice here, guys! :rolleyes

1) As you could see on the pic below, the Kannon barrel is really big and round, and the right arm will have to be modelled to accomodate this... But I´m unsure on how to do the amno feed part... Any ideas here? Maybe a drum feed like a revolver? Remember that the circular saw will be attached beneath it...

Posted Image

2) Also on the kannon arm, do you think that I should model it like it could be rotated laterally (perpendicular to the arm) for a better aim?

3) The hook arm is a little "bland" now... I´m thinking to place some sort of additional weapon in it, like a skorcha (I had a vision of this beast ripping open the armor of a Warhound titan and then pumping some burning prometium inside it :love ) or some Big Shootas... Maybe the Harpoon Launcher... Again, any ideas (no matter how crazy) will be more than welcome!

Well, that´s it for the moment!

Cheers,

Da Goff Rokker

Kronork

Kronork

particularly odious and dishonest barrister

• Speed Freaks
  • 2,564 posts
Rofl@ pirate gargant. :lol It seems to come along really well, I'm very intrested to see what it looks like when it gets legs and stands up. :D The hook arm is nifty. :biggrin Cheers

Hac in hora,
sine mora,
corde pulsum tangite;
quod per sortem, sternit fortem
mecum omnes plangite!

4tonmantis

4tonmantis

Wartrukk Driver

• Deathskullz
  • 1,654 posts
  • Army Name:Dethskulls and Badmoons...verging more on Freebooters...
the cannon needs to shoot cannonballs... build a platform that sits at the elbow and has cannon balls stacked with grots loading it. the cannon would need a hatch in the top to allow to be dropped in and possibly another hatch for gunpowder or explosive charges (TnT sticks and round cartoon bombs finally get their chance!). hopefully this is helpful.
CODE
Originally Posted by Uthan the Perverse in 'Culture vs. Kultur: Thoughts on Orkish Society'
The Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst. Who are we to judge them? We panzee who have failed, or the Humans, on the road to ruin in their turn. And why? Because we sought answers to questions that an Ork wouldn't even bother to ask. We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude.

Check out my site and blog. Pardon the horrendous design.. it's a WiP

MTD

MTD

Snapper Jawz

• Boyz
  • 776 posts
  • Army Name:Black Dags and the Red Blitz
A pirate cannon shoots cannonballs. Why not have a hopper above the cannon with the marble cannonballs rolling in like paintball ammo. Run a hose from some sort of tank and you can claim it as the liquid squig-juice propellant for the balls.
http://mekaniacmachi...s.blogspot.com/

I'm a Nutter. I do commission work. PM me.

da mekka

da mekka

Gyro Stabilised Monowheel

• Freebooterz
  • 533 posts
  • Army Name:None ATM
Oh, atleast someone using that ole scetch ;) Nice 'ead and that klaw is awesome :thumbs Keep us updated will you :yes :cheers
QUOTE (Kr00zA @ Jul 17 2007, 01:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Aryldite is a two part glue that stinkz of fish. Its realy messy and not at all recommended for use on small models.

Current projects:

panzee

Win count against Grubsnikk with panzee

Wins: 1 Draw: 0 Loss: 1

Da Goff Rokker

Da Goff Rokker

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 261 posts
Hummmm... Cannonballs... :biggrin I think I liked that... Are you guys suggesting me to instead of a normal looking Kannon make something like a pirate blunderbuss, complete with a cone shaped barrel and a grot operated flintlock device or fuse for firing huge cannonballs? Hummm... All different kinds of cannonballs, including buzzer squig ones? Well, I´ve to admit that I REALLY loved the idea, but I´m afraid that it will look too "underpowered" in the hands of such enormous Gargant... After all this will be a Titan killer (hopefully)... But the vison of a swarm of grots carrying cannonballs and loading them... What do you think, my fellow meks? Cheers, Da Goff Rokker

MTD

MTD

Snapper Jawz

• Boyz
  • 776 posts
  • Army Name:Black Dags and the Red Blitz
Titan-killer? That just means bigger balls. The short answer is yes, go blunderbuss, go big. It will not look underpowered. You could put a little wire on the cannonballs to be the fuse.
http://mekaniacmachi...s.blogspot.com/

I'm a Nutter. I do commission work. PM me.