Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Da OONF! is back with "Big Hook", Da Pirate Gargant

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
156 replies to this topic

Acid Burn

Acid Burn

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 304 posts
  • Army Name:Da Face Melta Boyz
that is one of the coolset things i have ever seen, that will look kick ass when its painted!! keep the pics cuming
OOMANS ARE PINK AND SOFT, NOT TOUGH AND GREEN LIKE DA BOYZ

burna_boy

burna_boy

Big Gun Krew

• Boyz
  • 190 posts
Wow! This is the first time I've taken a look at it! It's awesome! The head is by far my favorite part - it has so much character!

DaSquigBrain

DaSquigBrain

Gyro Stabilised Monowheel

• Boyz
  • 543 posts
  • Army Name:Waa-Nemork, Waa-Yark, Waa-Yellowsquig
Arrrr! I love it! (but I'm a good bit pirate meself, ya see!) Especially the Parrot-flyer. That's quality! The only thing I don't like is your Deff Ray. It just seems too weedy, both in it's size, and the fact that it looks rather flimsy. I think ya need a bigger gun!
Da SquigBrain's Orks an' Stuff
--------------------

warlord nazdreg

warlord nazdreg

telescoping arm

• Bad Moonz
  • 517 posts
  • Army Name:Warboss Jreko Face-o's Badmoon Brawlaz
I don't think he can fit a bigger gun.
Naz.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my warboss

sign the potition for Damnatus to go on the screen: here

QUOTE (Scarpia @ Jul 25 2007, 07:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey, that's my car!

DaSquigBrain

DaSquigBrain

Gyro Stabilised Monowheel

• Boyz
  • 543 posts
  • Army Name:Waa-Nemork, Waa-Yark, Waa-Yellowsquig
There's always room for a bigger gun! But if you don't want to upgrade *too* much, at least replace the front bit of the gun...just looks like a spare bit of scaffolding at the moment.
Da SquigBrain's Orks an' Stuff
--------------------

Scapegoat

Scapegoat

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 295 posts
very very very cool. Though, I am a bit disappointed at your decision not to create a way to view the boss inside the gargant. And don't worry about bringing up an old thread ;) I've got one on here over a year old thats going to be getting an update within a week or so

Nexus

Nexus

Flash Git

• Blood Axez
  • 1,100 posts
This thing is looking great so far :thumbs I really like the proportions that it has, I much prefer this design to the more typical "fat gargants". Do you have any designs for the back reactors? The only thing that sticks out at the moment as being slightly improppa is the hook, it looks a bit too thin and flimsy. Perhaps adding some slightly smaller versions of it (about 3mm thinner on each edge?) to each side to make it triple thickness would make it look a bit better.
This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.

Da Goff Rokker

Da Goff Rokker

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 261 posts
  • Army Name:Da League of Ekstraurdinary Orks
Yay! As always, thanks for all the feedback, my friends! :cheers Well, I will try to respond all coments: @4tonmantis: Thanks, my friend! Hehehehe, I will try to post updated pictures of Polly´s Squig-plane tonight, it is pretty much the same as the last pics, oly now it has rivvitz - LOTZ of them! @Greven, Studderingdave, Acid Burn, Burna_boy: Thanks again! I will try to keep this with more frequent updates from now on... @PeaceCraft & Gereth: Hail my Brazilian friends! Peace, as for the statistics of Big Hook, in tournaments I will field him as a Gargantuan Squiggoth armed with a Cannon and a Zapp Gun, and I will probably make a detachable dragging cart or backpack to represent his boyz transport capacity... But for friendly games I will VDR it to full extent, almost 900 points of pure dakka and utter krumpiness... Mega-Long Barreled-Gatling-Titan Killer Zzap Gun for the Soopa Deff Ray of Doom powered by Akeera and a Mega-Blast-Long Barreled-Kannon for the Belly Gun... Not sure yet on how to field the Harpoon Launcher... Maybe I will try to make some rules for the 2nd Edition Traktor Kannon... And Gereth, yours will be the next! :thumbs @Tuff Git: Aye, Apocalypse! *insert drooling sound here* I may make 3 other small stompas to accompany him in a Stompa Mob... That will be priceless! @ThorDUDE: Thanks, ThorDUDE! As for your "rikety" comment, could you please tell me what you thought rikety on him? The lack of exposed mechanics and hydrolic "things"? I would really like your comments on this, since I tried to make a more mechanical look but without leaving the "old pirate feel" to it... :thumbs :thumbs :thumbs @Warlord Nazdreg: I´m glad it have inspired you to turn to da green side! :cheers @DaSquigBrain: Yarrrrrrr! My fellow ork (or grot?!?!) pirate kaptin! As for the Deff Ray, yes, it is quite weedy compared to the sheer size of the Gargant, but if I make it like one of those giant crane-like arms, it will detract too much from the design of this Gargant... I think those oversized weapons fit better on the classinal-looking fat and chunky Gargants... Also, the Deff Ray will be mounted on a big epaulet like support, along with Akeera da Weird Boy and the electrical capacitors, thus in the end the complete array will be quite large... @Scapegoat: Yes, I was a little disappointed too... :rolleyes I made the big glass vat with the head inside, using a clear plastic bottle, some transparent resin and the head of Ghazkull, but it did not turned out as intended... Also, it will be too difficult to place the vat AND the removable head AND the removable jaw piece, so I decided to keep this simple and went for a movable head instead... I will show a pic of the life-supporting apparatus tonight when I got back home... :thumbs @Nexus: Again, thanks! :thumbs The back reaktor is the piece I will start to work out tonight. Both legs are already attached, so this will be my next move... I have to put 2 nuclear reaktors on the back, according to my own fluff (one to power the gargant and another one to power the life-support system), so I will try to make something using 2 plastic spheres (from roll-on deodorant bottles) like the fantastic reaktor piece made by MouseMuffins on his Mekboy Gargant... Aside from that, I´m thinking in random piedes of other kits, pipes, cables, CPU coolers, in summary, a pile of junk! :biggrin As for the Powwa Hook, you are perfectly right, it is looking weedy... It already has 3mm thickness, but as you suggested another 3mm will do it good... Well, thats it, hopefully updated pics tonight! And please keep the comments, critics and suggestions coming, they are EXTREMELY useful! :thumbs Cheers! Da Goff Rokker

Da Goff Rokker

Da Goff Rokker

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 261 posts
Ok guys, time for another update!

Following the design of the concept drawing, and to help in lenghtening the body of the Gargant, I decided to put some skirt plates around the body piece. Those are some of the plates - note de Deffwing symbol on one of them, meaning that Kaptin Hook took part of those Elite forces of Nazdreg (my next project - a Deff wing count-as army):

Posted Image

The skirt plates in place, attached using some soldering wire, alond with the 2 legs already attached:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now the back reaktors. As per my fluff, Big Hook would need 2 reaktors, one for the gargant movement and another one to power the life-support system. Since the model is quite large and heavy, it became very difficult to handle, so I made a box to fit into the reaktor cavity allowing me more freedom:

Posted Image

I put a big engine and a cpu cooler to start the engine/reaktor area, and 2 roll-on deodorant spheres to act as the reaktor cores, following the design created by MouseMuffings in his Mekboy Gargant (hope you don´t mind my shameless loot! :thumbs). The tank piece is a Kinder Egg ;) :

Posted Image

I picked up 3 of those pieces that make a beakie torso on the rhino hatch and glued them on the sphere:

Posted Image

Now with some soldering wire cables and plastic rod pipes:

Posted Image

Just in case someone got interested, those ribbed cables are made winding some soldering wire around another piece of wire. They look good, are quite easy to do and are very flexible - the picture explains for itself:

Posted Image

First reaktor almost done inside the engine compartment:

Posted Image

Well, for now thats it! :thumbs

Comments, suggestions and critics are more than welcome!

Cheers,

Da Goff Rokker

warlord nazdreg

warlord nazdreg

telescoping arm

• Bad Moonz
  • 517 posts
  • Army Name:Warboss Jreko Face-o's Badmoon Brawlaz
One question. How on earth are you going to make that stand with out it falling over?!
Naz.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my warboss

sign the potition for Damnatus to go on the screen: here

QUOTE (Scarpia @ Jul 25 2007, 07:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey, that's my car!

Da Goff Rokker

Da Goff Rokker

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 261 posts
Well... You know... One problem at a time... :biggrin Hehehehe, I put a lot of lead fishing weights inside the front foot hoping to balance it, but obviously it did not worked... All I got is a still umbalanced Gargant with a very heavy boot... ;) But I think that having one of his feet raised would improve it a lot, making for a more dinamic pose... But I plan to make a nice scenic base for him, made from MDF, and I will to put a screw connecting the base and his foot, hoping that the weight and width of the base keep him standing... If not... Well, lets worry about this later in a true Mek fashion... :thumbs This beast is weighting almost 1 kilogram now... The PVC fittings I used on the elbows, belly kannon and the pegleg are quite heavy, and the fishing weight increased his "fatness factor" a lot... But he is a Bad Moon Boss, so weight is not a problem... Cheers, Da Goff Rokker

Acid Burn

Acid Burn

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 304 posts
  • Army Name:Da Face Melta Boyz
i love how u mad ethe reaktor cores i wold hav never thought of that all the glyphs and gubbinz look uber cool aswell how long till its painted?
OOMANS ARE PINK AND SOFT, NOT TOUGH AND GREEN LIKE DA BOYZ

four_2113

four_2113

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 275 posts
  • Army Name:Gettin' up to 2500 points of Deffskulls.
You know how I feel about this build already... Gotta say though, Beakie torsos FTW!!!!! That's the best use of em' I've ever seen!!! One idea to throw at you... I know that the hook-hand is very much in theme with the build, but what about an anchor??? Even if you don't change it, ya' should still throw an anchor on him somewhere... As a gubbin!!!
"You're only as old as the people you feel."- Grishgrub

Blakkreaper

Blakkreaper

Da Ladz Wrangler

• Freebooterz
  • 2,365 posts
  • Army Name:WAAAGH Grimgull
An anchor gubbin would look cool, also I'm in :love witht he priate hats on all the boyz. When i started reading the post I had a mental immage of a grot hanging on for life somewhere or other in a bandanna with a telescope helping direct the big guns. Is it just me? Oh, and kudos on the fluff, luve it - keep it comming...

Cheerz to Thork for the Great Avvy.
Let's gross our fingers and sacraface pot Blood Red to Bitz God... [Morhgoz]
I oppose RAW evil; or, more importantly; The Dice Gods oppose RAW evil. [Andrew the Eternal's proppa hiaku]

"Giving Krooza an idea, now prooven to be just as bad as saying 'Go on Dim, rant away!" [Dim Reepa]
"We don't have a Battle Tank. We have a glorified transport that eats people." "like a surgical sledgehammer." [GrogDaTyrant]

R.S.P.C.G.

R.S.P.C.G.

Speckled Bloodshade Fungus

• Grotz
  • 21 posts
wow :thumbs just so increadible modeling :thumbs but why do people keep out doing my tiny mek stompa :crybaby also great great fluff i don't tink u can improve it :love just hope u don't make a mega gargant :search thanks for posting this good work :thumbs
Save da grotz
You can't paint without pain

Agatheron

Agatheron

Blue Thunda Ace

• Nobz
  • 6,555 posts
  • Army Name:Da Blue Thunda Speed Freeks
Sorry guys, this thread has been dead for some time... let it rust in peace ;) :P Thread closed for threadnomancy...
______Agatheron \_______
--Remember, long, uncontrolled bursts,
and indiscriminate target selection.
____________________________/

http://chaplainsbrush.wordpress.com/

Nightserpent

Nightserpent

Arch Arsonist

• Bosses
  • 8,487 posts
  • Army Name:Der Red Kobraz
This topic is seven months old. good night sweet prince. :(