Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Da OONF! is back with "Big Hook", Da Pirate Gargant

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
156 replies to this topic

Da Goff Rokker

Da Goff Rokker

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 261 posts
  • Army Name:Da League of Ekstraurdinary Orks
@Gereth: Glad to see you here, mate! :cheers Now our ideas exchange for "da sekret projekts" will be much easier... ;) :thumbs

@MTD: Hummmm... I´ve to admit that a belly cannon will be MUCH easier to come by... I did not considered it initially as the front body plate will be removable allowing us to see what remained of Kaptin Hook on his life supporting apparatus, but considering the sheer size of this beast (if I´m not wrong the middle body section between the horizontal supporting plates is around 10cm or 4") I think I can manage to fit both the boss remains AND the kannon inside workings in a two level structure - wich would be really cool do add BTW, with lots of grotz loading it and running inside... Also, a chainsaw cutlass will be a great addition, and if I add a "pirate-style" bucket guard like this:

Posted Image

...a lot of the "would-be" hand will be covered...

As for the parrot-squig, I think that I will only be able to put some basic weaponry on it, nothing soopa-heavy... I would field it as a Grot-Bomb Launcha, so problably only a one-shot weapon... Stay tuned as it will be my next target after I resolve this right arm issue... ;)

Thanks for the help, guys! :thumbs

Cheers

Da Goff Rokker

4tonmantis

4tonmantis

Wartrukk Driver

• Deathskullz
  • 1,654 posts
  • Army Name:Dethskulls and Badmoons...verging more on Freebooters...
Why not have a Ork boy in a parrot costume as the parrot? The belly gun works for me and I can't wait to see the activity you have planned for the grots... sekret projekt!!!!! ooh ooh tell more!!!
CODE
Originally Posted by Uthan the Perverse in 'Culture vs. Kultur: Thoughts on Orkish Society'
The Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst. Who are we to judge them? We panzee who have failed, or the Humans, on the road to ruin in their turn. And why? Because we sought answers to questions that an Ork wouldn't even bother to ask. We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude.

Check out my site and blog. Pardon the horrendous design.. it's a WiP

Da Goff Rokker

Da Goff Rokker

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 261 posts
Hehehe, unfortunately my GS skills are not good enough to make a parrot-dressed ork... But this surely would be fun... :lol As for the sekret projects, in fact Gereth is the one "to be guilt" for this Gargant... Let me explain: Gereth is a brazillian friend, and upon deciding to join da green tide, asked me to build a "concept-drawing" Stompa-Gargant (like Ein´s masterpiece) and a "shark-zoobmarine-battlewagon" for his upcoming army... But I hastly started to work before we discussed together some guidelines, and after I finished this Gargant head, he decided he wanted a Stompa sized machine, around 16cm, not a fully Gargant sized behemot (this one I´m making when finished will average 30cm)... So as the good mek I am, I continued to work on this project, but adapted it to my pirate/nautical themed army... In the meanwhile another brazilian friend, this time an old and hardcore ork player (the one that showed me the beauty of da greenskins) asked me to build him ANOTHER gargant, but a "klassic-style" one, fully sized... So you guys will be seeing da ole Goff Rokker here in a gargant building frenzy, since after I finish this one I will be making 2 more, complete with another zoobmarine battlewagon like the one I´ve made for my army - only that this one will be shaped like a shark, not a whale as mine... Hehehehe, it seems I´ve my hands full of work for the next months... :whip Cheers, Da Goff Rokker

Da Goff Rokker

Da Goff Rokker

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 261 posts
Ahoy, mates! Some more pirate goodness updates coming... ;)

Well, after the last discussions here about the fate of the model I decided to follow the advice given by Gaf-Naz, 4tonmantis and MTD about adding a belly kannon and a secondary CCW, so I finally completed the right arm:

Side view - differently from the left arm, which have the hidraulics inside it, on this one I put it outside the arm just to improve its "beefness":

Posted Image

Detail of some gubbinz showing

Posted Image

Of course it will need A LOT more detailing, like supporting braces, rivvitz, cables, hoses and such, but the basic layout is done... Now it needs a weapon...

As suggested, I will go with a "pirate-cutlass-style" chainsword. :rolleyes So just to test its design and size before cutting (and probably wasting) a lot of plasticard, I decided to make a balsa wood "mock-up" of the cutlass, just to see how it looks on the model, and to serve as a model for cutting (all those curved edges will be a pain to cut... :crybaby)... What do you think of it:

Posted Image

A pic just showing it besides a Barry for scaling purposes - I added some glyphs on the sword-guard part as I want this part heavly decorated, just like an ancient sword, probably with an etched bronze panel. Also, the teeth of the chainsaw will be much larger and chunkier, and it probably will have a couple of huge exhausts for the saw engine:

Posted Image

With this I hope to cleave a Warhound Titan in two with just a swoop... :biggrin

Comments and critics will be more than welcome before I commit myself to this piece... :thumbs

Cheers,

Da Goff Rokker

Kr00zA

Kr00zA

Grumpy ole Git

• Goffz
  • 9,989 posts
  • Army Name:Big Berk'z Bashaz
The pirate sword is a nice idea... but its too curvy. Something shaped like this work be more orky.

Attached Thumbnails

• Sword.JPG

Nuf Said.

Avatarz by KroozA and Animated Avatarz by KroozA ... Please dont link directly to them. Save one and upload it to the forum.

Da Goff Rokker

Da Goff Rokker

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 261 posts
Oh my! Thanks for that, Kr00zA, your design is soooo much better and orkier.... Hehehe, its nice to have your feedback on this! :thumbs I think I will print your drawing to scale just to get the right angles... They are perfect... :love Cheers, Da Goff Rokker

Da Goff Rokker

Da Goff Rokker

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 261 posts
Now for some fresh fluff (as always, skip this part if you want ;) )

Weeny Legs are sitting comfortably on his squig-hide chair, sipping some fungus wine after a hard working day, when an awfully loud noise sounded from de depths of the mekshop…

AROOOGA-AROOOGA-AROOOGA!
-Wots dat dang noise?!?! – yelled the Big Mek to a Spanna Yoof that came running to him
- Its da computa, sire. Rememba, you installed dat alarm to tell ya ‘bout new incoming messages…
- Oh, yes, yes… Wot? Why you iz looking at me funny? I rememba it, I iz just seeing if ya git know wot it iz too…

The mek skillfully dragged himself to his armored wheelchair, driving it between the huge heaps of scrap, followed closely by the running yoof, until he came to the “computa room”. It was darkly lit, a mess of wires and cables all around, complete with an immense screen in the middle, flashing in red glyphs the words “Ya got mail!”. After furiously typing on a big keyboard, Weeny Legz let out a blood-curdling laugh as the screen showed - with a lot of static and interference – the image of an enormous Big Mek with a long squig-beard on his chin, encased in an armored suit bigger than a dreadnought and equipped with an amazing array of power tools.

- Who iz he, sire? – asked the yoof staring in wonder at the screen
- Ya don’t know him? Stoopid git! Dats why I iz da Big Mek and you iz only a Spanna! He iz one ov' da biggest, baddest and smartest Mek evva! Some say dat he iz even betta than Orkimedes himself! Uvva say dat he IZ Orkimedes himself…
- Who iz Orkimed… - the yoof stopped in mid-sentence after being hit in the head with a hammer by Weeny Legz
- Do not interrupt me, ya snotbag! Behold da mighty Krooza!
- Oooooooh… Why his picture iz in da screen, sire?
- Ya know boy, I iz running short of ideas fer da Boss chain-choppa… - started to tell the mek, keeping his eyes intently on the video, as complicated construction plans and sketches started to scroll down the screen - Too much work on Kaptin´s Hook new body, complete with dat stinky Dok Arrrab pestering me all da time… So I left a message in da WaaaghNet asking fer help from da uvva Meks in da ooniverse… And among many others skillfull BigMekz, like EmTeeDee, Fer-Ton-Mantiss and dat ole Bad Moon Gaf-Naz, Krooza send me diz planz fer diz funktastic chain-choppa…
- WaaaghNet?
- Yup, a “Netwerk fer Mek Teknologies Exchange”… It was commissioned some time ago by the legendary BigBoss NightSerpent… Look at diz…
- Oooooh… DAT iz a chain-choppa! Not that weedy curvy thing that you started ta mak… Errrm, well, dat iz a nice chain-choppa too, ya see! – replied the yoof with a yellow smile after seeing the menacing look of Weeny Legz to him
- Enuf talkin’, ya git! Now back ta work! We hav’ sumfing new ta do!

Well, boyz, after Kr00zA sent me that drawing with a nifty design for a "pirate-cutlass-chainsword", I could not rest until it was made... :whip So, after much plasticard cutting and gluing, here it comes almost finished (of course, rivvitz and details will be added later):

Right Side (I´ve worked on a little bit over Kr00zA design, mainly by making a bigger engine and adding some angled saw teeth instead of the normal trieangled ones:

Posted Image

Front, with my Medusa V Kroozade glyph on the guard. The bottom panel will be heavly adorned also with lots of glyphs:

Posted Image

Left Side (both guard side panels will show some glyphwork too):

Posted Image

Then, in my infinite innocence (:D :love ) I glued 4 rare-earth magnets on the arm stump and the chainsword (2 on each one), "to secure them and make it interchangeable"... Well, 36 magnets (yes, 36!!!!) later I finally managed to get a moderatedly strong grip of both parts... :scowl

Posted Image

Now some pics with the body structure with both arms attached:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Well, now I will add some finishing touches to the chainsword (more supporting braces and an hydraulic connection between the arm and the sword) and then will start the making of something that will be terribly fun: Polly, da Parrot-Squig!

As always, critics, suggestions and comments are needed my friends! ;) :thumbs Also, any ideas of what you want to see in a cybernetic squig parrot will be more than welcome too!

Cheers,

Da Goff Rokker

Gaf-Naz

Gaf-Naz

Mayor of Orktown

• Bad Moonz
  • 1,992 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh! Gaf-Naz, Da Inter-Hive Firm
More great fluff Rokker. :thumbs Love the idea of the waaagh-net - who needs genetic mekking knowledge when we can use the waaagh-net?! :biggrin The chain choppa looks good, especially the ded rippy looking teef. Have you decided whether to add another weapon to the hook arm? It looks a bit unbalanced to me now with the chain choppa in place. I'm still voting for a massive harpoon gun. Is the parrot going to be a grot bomb? If so, I'd like to see a grot pilot, badly made metal feathers, a bandanna and a golden earing. ;) Looking forward to seeing more. :cheers
Ork Town III - Terrain building competition, sponsored by Ramshackle Games.

Do you need some 6th edition fortifications for your army, a new terrain piece or an 'armies on display' board?

Then build it, paint it, post it and move into "da orkiest town in da ooniverse", and have the chance of winning a prize!

4tonmantis

4tonmantis

Wartrukk Driver

• Deathskullz
  • 1,654 posts
  • Army Name:Dethskulls and Badmoons...verging more on Freebooters...
an ork boy with parts from a wood elf great eagle glued on says I!!!! That or Gobbla (the new one) with feathers :D
CODE
Originally Posted by Uthan the Perverse in 'Culture vs. Kultur: Thoughts on Orkish Society'
The Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst. Who are we to judge them? We panzee who have failed, or the Humans, on the road to ruin in their turn. And why? Because we sought answers to questions that an Ork wouldn't even bother to ask. We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude.

Check out my site and blog. Pardon the horrendous design.. it's a WiP

NazdregsBigMek

NazdregsBigMek

Burna Boy

• Deathskullz
  • 386 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh Nazgrim!
One hell of a luvverly sword there, its been pulled off rather nicely and the hard, angular edges make it look much more impressive than your design (braces for noggin bashing). The shape of the teeth are good as well, much more interesting than regular triangles, the glyphs on the shoulder are well done and loaded with detail, the worky-bits on the sword are convincing and I do like that you've included the 'cutlass-style' handguard! Gaf-Naz's idea sounds cool, and the fluff you wrote was rather amusing :thumbs :cheers
NBM = Aspirin' Mekboy. Strippin' Motorbike engines is fun! Shame I forget where everything goes back in...
World Of Warcraft: Consuming my soul since July '07

Da Goff Rokker

Da Goff Rokker

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 261 posts
Yay, thanks guys! :thumbs @Gaf-Naz: Yup, the hook arm will have a Big Harpoon Launcha... I agree with you that it looks quite weedy compared to the other one, not only because of the chainsword size but also because of the "external" hydraulic actuator... I´m thinking to add it on the forearm part, angled between the up and side panels. Also, after that gorgeous harpoon ram that Kr00za put on his dreadnort I could not miss the opportunity to loot it... ;) :biggrin @4tonmantis: Hehehe, more on the parrot squig below... But I really like that Gobbla idea... @NazdregsBigMek: My thanks! :) As for the glyphs, the guard will sport a ton of them, as fitting for a heavly decorated pirate sword! After receiving the clearance from Kr00zA on using his Gork & Mork glyphs (thanks fer dat, ole'Kr00zA! :thumbs ), I decided to name the cutlass chainsword "Gork'n'Mork Revenge". It will have a glyph decipting each of the ork gods on the sides, and on the front plate (the angled one below the Medusa V symbol) I plan to "write" the story of the demise of Kaptin Hook and his revenge on the beakies as a Gargant. Also, stay tuned for more fluff! ;) Well, as for the squig parrot, I have a crapload of ideas (many of them submitted by you guys!), but really can´t decide which way to follow... My original plan was to make a cybernetic flying squig, since it was more fitting to the fluff I am writing: Kaptin Hook had a lucky parrot squig that always perched on his shoulder, which would "follow" him on his cybernetic transformation from Warboss to Gargant after his demise to a Demolisher explosive shell... Thus I planned to make a mechanical squig, with steel wings and a huge iron "beak-gob", but still showing parts of the live squig "wired" on the cybernetic apparatus... But I´ve to admit that other ideas, like a grot piloted machine are very appealing too, as instead of a parrot squig the warboss could have had a lucky grot always perched on his shoulder, like the new Kommando Nob... Or even scrap this whole idea and just make a real ork piloted flying weapon on his shoulder, delivering fiery death to his foes... But gamewise it will still be a Grot Bomb launcha... I just can´t decide! :crybaby Well, meanwhile I will finish the glyphwork on the sword guard and the Harpoon launcha... Cheers, Da Goff Rokker

Gaf-Naz

Gaf-Naz

Mayor of Orktown

• Bad Moonz
  • 1,992 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh! Gaf-Naz, Da Inter-Hive Firm

Also, after that gorgeous harpoon ram that Kr00za put on his dreadnort I could not miss the opportunity to loot it... ;) :biggrin

As soon as I saw that I thought it would be ideal for your needs. Mounting it on the forearm sounds good to me. Get lootin! :whip

The cybernetic parrot sounds like a great idea, but it may be hard to build a convincing model. I still prefer the idea of a grot bomb disguised as a parrot but if you can't decide on the parrot, I'd leave it for now and come back later. Or you could use magnets to have interchangable parrots. ;)

Looking forward to seeing more work. :cheers
Ork Town III - Terrain building competition, sponsored by Ramshackle Games.

Do you need some 6th edition fortifications for your army, a new terrain piece or an 'armies on display' board?

Then build it, paint it, post it and move into "da orkiest town in da ooniverse", and have the chance of winning a prize!

Da Goff Rokker

Da Goff Rokker

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 261 posts
Yup, right as always, Gaf-Naz... ;) I think the main problem with the squig-parrot is that, for Gork´s sake, how does a flying squig parrot does look like?!?!?!?! :? I think I will put some sketches here for you guys to help me further... The parrot disguised grot-bomb will be great, as I do love grots in flying machines (as could be seen on my grot piloted fighta-bommas), but still we have the problem of what it will look like... Beak or no, wings, feathered tail, etc... Cheers, Da Goff Rokker

Bellygrub

Bellygrub

Explosive Kranium

• Deathskullz
  • 620 posts
  • Army Name:Bloodtoofs Badmoon Raiders

The parrot disguised grot-bomb will be great, as I do love grots in flying machines (as could be seen on my grot piloted fighta-bommas), but still we have the problem of what it will look like... Beak or no, wings, feathered tail, etc...

If you're doing the parrot as a grot bomb I would say that painting the nose a yellowish color would give it a simulated beak look. Hell you could even paint a mouth with fangs on it if you wanted.

Maybe drape red cloth over the sides of the bomb to make it look as if there are wings. Or maybe a bomb with wings the are retractable like the old Silverhawks cartoon.

It could definalty be tricky to pull off and make look right.

Arche Klaine

Arche Klaine

I AM SECRETLY AVAC' (shh, don't tell)

• On Notice
  • 0 posts
  • Army Name:-
Beware! It's a gigantic and killing frenzy cutlass! I would like that mega cutlass-chopa would be a little more curved and less orkier, perhas to add a bit more of piratic feeling, but that is just my opinion. Why not purchasing a parrotish mini? GW, and many other companies, offers lots of feathered wings. With a couple of work, the parrot you are looking for will come aside :D.

Captain Destructo

Captain Destructo

Gyro Stabilised Monowheel

• Boyz
  • 526 posts
  • Army Name:There isn't one.
Replace the grot bomb's wings with old-timey wings; sort of canvas stretched over wooden struts, maybe? With a wee mechanism for manually hoisting them up and down to create lift? :?

CannibalBob

CannibalBob

GuildBoss Skabnoze

• Blood Axez
  • 2,303 posts
  • Army Name:Kommandur Dragztor's Skull Krumpin Brigade

Replace the grot bomb's wings with old-timey wings; sort of canvas stretched over wooden struts, maybe? With a wee mechanism for manually hoisting them up and down to create lift? :?

That sounds a lot like a goblin doom-diver.

Actually thats not a bad idea! For a parrot you could take a goblin doom-diver and alter his helmet/head to be some parrot-like bird-esque looking helmet. Shoddily built in true greenskin fashion of course. You could even add some feathers here and there to his wings - etc.
Freebooter Fungus Lager: Only da Finest Fungus!

Speedboy

Speedboy

Paint Squig

• Grotz
  • 99 posts
Perhaps metallic feathers and an eye-patch for the "Grot-Bomber"?

Kronork

Kronork

particularly odious and dishonest barrister

• Speed Freaks
  • 2,564 posts
Try making a Grot bomb platform that looks like a parrot that sits on one shoulder? :lol I gotta say, this whole project is hilarious, pirate gargant. :biggrin Cheers

Hac in hora,
sine mora,
corde pulsum tangite;
quod per sortem, sternit fortem
mecum omnes plangite!

Da Goff Rokker

Da Goff Rokker

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 261 posts
Hehehe, thanks guys for all the feedback on the "parrot-squig-grot-bomb-thing"! ;) :tumbs

The main problem with using normal models for that, like the goblin doom diver or even a Forge World Grot Bomb for the base of the model is their size... They will simply disappear on the shoulder in the middle of all the cables and other structures that I am planning to add, as they will be too tiny compared to the sheer size of the Gargant - remember, this beast will stand almost 30cm tall from the tip of his hat to the bottom of his pegleg! :biggrin So I will have to build "the thing" from scratch, making it in a more compatible size/scale so it can stand out more...

But there are a lot of good ideas here, and I will summarize the ones I think will look better:

- A cybernetic winged squig, with a huge gob or beak, steel feathered wings and maybe a live squig wired in;
- A Grot Bomb Launcha platform, with the bomb looking like a parrot, painted green and with a beak instead of a fanged nose, steel feathered wings and piloted by a crazy grot with a bandana, hook, eyepatch and such...
- A platform for something like a parrot deffkopta, piloted either by a crazy ork or a zany grot;
- A "parrot-like" launching platform for bombs, grots and such

Also, I managed to see how a parrot squig would look like, thanks to the Deff Skadron comic:

Posted Image
(hope da bosses did not mind me putting this piece of scanned image here... ;) )

This is a squigeon, not a parrot squig, but paint it green and we are done! :biggrin

Well, thanks for the help, and keep the ideas coming! :cheers

Cheers,

Da Goff Rokker