Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Da OONF! is back with "Big Hook", Da Pirate Gargant

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
156 replies to this topic

Penelope the Wonder Pony

Penelope the Wonder Pony

Thinks hes NTMBK

• Deathskullz
  • 4,380 posts
  • Army Name:WAAAAGH! Blooskull
I don't say blunderbuss, I say a straight cannon barrel like on a pirate ship's cannon. Definately go for round cannon balls though. And I'd say that a huge harpoon would be a great secondary weapon on the hook arm- very Moby Dick, lots of nautical imagery there, and also a great anti-Titan weapon. The claw arm itself seems pretty weak though tbh- a hook like that is more of a gripping tool, not a weapon. Maybe try redesigning it to make it longer, less rounded, and more vicious? Instead of the almost circle you have now, give it shape, and a definate forward direction.

Skinskull

Skinskull

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 11 posts
  • Army Name:Skinskulls Boyz
You mentioned an Nob called "Krabz"?. i think i know what his ride is... :thumbs A GIANT MECHANICAL CRAB!!!!! :biggrin and brilliant gargant i can't wait to see it! (fully built and killy :biggrin ) :thumbs :thumbs
"Maybe all we ork boyz do iz fight and die. But you know what? We'ze good at it, an we'ze still gonna win!"

Warboss Gorgutz, Dawn of War: Winter Assault

Da Goff Rokker

Da Goff Rokker

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 261 posts
  • Army Name:Da League of Ekstraurdinary Orks
Ok, then, let's go Cannonballs! :biggrin

@Kronork: Hehehehe, thanks... And remember: not legS, bug a leg and a pegleg - an hidraulic one, of course!

@MTD: Well, you are right... Bigger targets, bigget cannonballs... This could not go wrong...

@da mekka: I´m not the first one to use this sketch! Have you seen Ein´s masterpiece? He´s the true inspiration behind this.

@Tuff Git: Yes, you are right, then hook arm seems a little bit weak... :crybaby As for the hook, I tried a more forward looking design, but it did not looked good, did not seem a hook, more like a knife... So I kepts this curved one... As for the secondary weapon, I will try the harpoon launcher, with some chain attached to it... Maybe I can VDR something like the old Traktor Kannon... That would be cool... :)

@Skinskull: Hehehehe, wrong answer... ;) Krabz stands for his gigantic powerklaw... His ride was a two legged Sea Serpent, complete with "soopa squig-fuel injektium" directly in the brain, "fer a betta riding eksperience"... :)

Well, now back to the cannon... I tried to model a "pirate kannon" barrel, cone shaped and with a busted end (sorry for the bad pic, the front piece is black so it lacks contrast on the details):

Posted Image

The main problem with this cannon approach still is the amno feeding... Where the cannonballs will be loaded? I cannot make the loading hatch on the other end of the cannon since the arm joint will be there... Maybe a top loading hatch? I also liked MTD idea of the propellant hose, since this can be connected on the end of the barrel, unlike the hatch... What do you guys think?

As a side comment, this barrel has the perfect size for fitting a chained squig inside - buzzer squig ammunition! :dakka

As always, comments and critics are welcome! :thumbs

Cheers,

Da Goff Rokker

Penelope the Wonder Pony

Penelope the Wonder Pony

Thinks hes NTMBK

• Deathskullz
  • 4,380 posts
An open hopper on the top, with a ledge on the shoulder with grots pushing cannon balls over the edge and into the hopper.

Da Goff Rokker

Da Goff Rokker

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 261 posts
Hummm... Sorry for my stupidity, but what a "hopper" is? :blush Hehehe, english is not my first language and sometimes it´s difficult to catch the meaning of something... Thanks, Da Goff Rokker

Penelope the Wonder Pony

Penelope the Wonder Pony

Thinks hes NTMBK

• Deathskullz
  • 4,380 posts
A kind of big bucket to catch the rounds in. Similar to the container on top of a paintball gun, which you pour loose paintballs straight into.

Da Goff Rokker

Da Goff Rokker

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 261 posts
Oh! Ok, I got the idea... ;) Thanks, Tuff Git! :thumbs But on a side question, with this kind of loading mechanism, every time the kannon fires there will be the possiblity that ALL the cannonbals go flying into the air... Well, thinking again, this is pretty orky trough... :biggrin I will give a try on this... Cheers, Da Goff Rokker

Tepok

Tepok

Skarboy

• Freebooterz
  • 1,447 posts
  • Army Name:Evil Moonz (Pirates)

Hummm... Sorry for my stupidity, but what a "hopper" is? :blush Hehehe, english is not my first language and sometimes it´s difficult to catch the meaning of something...

Thanks,

Da Goff Rokker

This is a hopper, often seen on paintball guns http://www.qzx.com/a...ball/hopper.jpg
It's where the paintballs are stored, there is a small tube at the bottom that allows one ball to fall into the gun, which is then shot out of the gun.

Awesome so far, biggest pirate i've ever seen.

T

Proppa Unproppa

Da Goff Rokker

Da Goff Rokker

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 261 posts
You guys mean something like this?

Posted Image

Hummm... Not very similar to a pirate kannon, but it may look better once details were added... What do you think?

Cheers,

Da Goff Rokker

Gaf-Naz

Gaf-Naz

Mayor of Orktown

• Bad Moonz
  • 1,992 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh! Gaf-Naz, Da Inter-Hive Firm
Excellent work so far Rokker. :thumbs

I really like the hook and the ship's cannon idea is great.

I'd go for the harpoon gun as a secondary weapon on the hook arm. The harpoon doesn't have to be physically attached to the gun (with chain) - it could use traktor beam technology to haul the victim towards the hook.

Giving the kannon arm lateral movement would be nice, but possibly harder to model.

How about something like this for the hopper, with grot loader/charger platforms on it:

Posted Image

Keep up the good work! :cheers

Edit - you beat me to it. ;) That pipe looks like a good basis to build on to me.

Edited by Gaf-Naz, 05 March 2007 - 06:37 PM.

Ork Town III - Terrain building competition, sponsored by Ramshackle Games.

Do you need some 6th edition fortifications for your army, a new terrain piece or an 'armies on display' board?

Then build it, paint it, post it and move into "da orkiest town in da ooniverse", and have the chance of winning a prize!

MTD

MTD

Snapper Jawz

• Boyz
  • 776 posts
  • Army Name:Black Dags and the Red Blitz
You can also box in the back section of the cannon so only the top loading hole sticks out. That might provide more substence to the cannon arm.
http://mekaniacmachi...s.blogspot.com/

I'm a Nutter. I do commission work. PM me.

Arche Klaine

Arche Klaine

I AM SECRETLY AVAC' (shh, don't tell)

• On Notice
  • 0 posts
  • Army Name:-
Ever saw Lego's pirate cannons? The end of the barrel was not that exploded. I would like you to reconsider that, heh. I prefer the overall look of a cannon with that type of barrel than the current. But that is just my opinion. And you ought to have a big cy-squig-parrot on one of the shoulders. Why not? Who knows? You might surpass Ein's creation :D

Da Goff Rokker

Da Goff Rokker

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 261 posts
Well, I worked a little bit more yesterday on the kannon arm after your suggestions and I liked it very much... :) I looted a small shampoo sample bottle from my wife, cut it in half and connected to the barrel as the hopper-thing, and it looked nifty! The best part is that it is transparent so we could see all the cannonballs inside it! More pics later on, as I am on the work right now ( :bleep )...

As for the Kannon barrel itself, with the new design I am not entirely sure about the cone shaped busted point... I would appreciate your coments on that... With the busted point or a normal cannon nozzle?

Also, I´m facing now a problem with the connection between the kannon and the arm itself... The barrel is wider than the arm, and since I´ve already done part of the right arm the connection between them is looking terrible, with the lower part of the arm (after the elbow joint) much wider than the upper part (the one connecting the shoulder to the elbow)... This will be very difficult to ament, only by completely remaking the entire arm... So I came with a crazy idea that I would like to discuss here:

Posted Image

Instead of directly connecting the kannon to the arm, make the right arm like the left one, but instead of a hook ending it with a huge fist holding the kannon like a pirate pistol.. This approach will look cool, and will correct the connection problem, but will create other problems as well... With the kannon now "over" the arm instead of part of it, the hydraulic actuators of the arm joint cannot be properly placed... The image above does not portrait this accurately, as my terribly paint drawing has not the kannon properly scaled... :crybaby Any ideas on how to solve this?

Cheers,

Da Goff Rokker

Penelope the Wonder Pony

Penelope the Wonder Pony

Thinks hes NTMBK

• Deathskullz
  • 4,380 posts
I'm sorry to say that I'm not over keen on that setup. It looks too impractical and complicated for Orks. If anything, it might be an idea to ditch a jointed arm entirely and turn the right arm into a proper cannon mount. Look at the sort of bases that Flak 88s were used on in WWII- that kind of turntable arrangement, with lots of cogs and gears. It'd let you make it look like it has some proper lateral movement, too.

MTD

MTD

Snapper Jawz

• Boyz
  • 776 posts
If you look at my tinboys I make fists by just putting a thumb and fingers on a box. See the klassics thread. you could have a box on the end of the arm as a part of the gun that the orks just put some detail on to make it look like a hand rather than a real hand.

EDIT: direct
http://www.the-waaag...p...&hl=tinboys
http://www.the-waaag...mp;#entry327916

Gaf-Naz

Gaf-Naz

Mayor of Orktown

• Bad Moonz
  • 1,992 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh! Gaf-Naz, Da Inter-Hive Firm
I vote for a non-exploded barrel end, I think the exploded one looks too comical, even for orks. I'm not entirely sold on the fist idea either, but you can always change my mind. At the moment I agree with Tuff Git, a full cannon mount instead of an arm. Or, you could keep the arm and give him a second close combat weapon (a big pirate's scimatar maybe) and mount the cannon on the arm's shoulder joint. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. :cheers
Ork Town III - Terrain building competition, sponsored by Ramshackle Games.

Do you need some 6th edition fortifications for your army, a new terrain piece or an 'armies on display' board?

Then build it, paint it, post it and move into "da orkiest town in da ooniverse", and have the chance of winning a prize!

Gereth

Gereth

Grot Slave

• Boyz
  • 147 posts
OMFG! looking awesome so far bro! that thing is HUGE! Can't wait to see more pictures of it. The cannon arm idea seems nice but I agree with Gaf-Naz that the exploded end might be to comical. Other than that great job so far.
Ye Olde Painting Frog: Home of my painted models.

The Painting Frog: New home of my painted models.

Da Goff Rokker

Da Goff Rokker

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 261 posts
Ok then, busted barrel out! :thumbs @MTD: Hehehehehe, those tinboyz are EXACTLY what I was thinking of when I had this idea... I just did not remembered that they are yours... And again, as per my reply on your original post, those robots are wonderfully built and imagined! Kudos to you! :cheers @Tuff Git and Gaf-Naz: Yes, I´m not entirely sold on that hand idea either, but it is this or remaking the whole arm... Also, the hand springed to my mind more because of the fluff I´ve written than anything else... This was not a common Gargant, a "souless machine", but more like a beakie dread, with a half-dead warboss "living" inside it into a life supporting sarcophagus... So this particular Gargant/Warboss may need a working hand to improve his "living conditions", like squishing the life out of an oomie or grot... :lol A fixed kannon arm will be way too much limiting... My idea is to try to model the hand, and see if it looked ok or lame... If lame, well, it can always be turned into a "Fist of Mork" monument for the Ork Town... ;) Also, as Gaz-Naz suggested, a pirate scimitar/sabre second CCW wil only look really good with a fist holding them too... @Gereth: Hehehe, you are THE Gereth? :lol Nice to see you here! :cheers Cheers, Da Goff Rokker

Gereth

Gereth

Grot Slave

• Boyz
  • 147 posts
Hey Goff... Yes it's me. It's only fitting that having decided to come up with my own Waaagh I should join you guys here!
Ye Olde Painting Frog: Home of my painted models.

The Painting Frog: New home of my painted models.

MTD

MTD

Snapper Jawz

• Boyz
  • 776 posts
Perhaps something in the middle. I think the hook hand is cool. Why not do the hook in one hand and a cutlass in the other with the cannon in the belly. This is larger than Ein's and thus a belly cannon would not be out of place here and it is less work to put it there. Also if there is a boss wired into this thing the meks, might as a bit of self preservation, not give the boss as much flexibility that a hand would give him. Thus not having a fully movable hand. Also if you do a parrot squig on the shoulder you could incorporate a gun system into the beak/mouth.