Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

List Building Tips

* * * * - 5 votes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

IronShark

IronShark

Dreadsock Enforcer

• Nobz
  • 4,353 posts
  • Army Name:WAAAGH Morgrim!
Disclaimer: This was written under the old codex, for 4th edition. I've deleted some of the invalid advice about old wargear and rules. A revised version will be made at some point.

For those of you making some Ork lists for the first time, this is a list of good advice. If your list goes against the advice listed here, your responses may be limited to people saying the same things over again.

Remember, these are just list building tips. There is a lot to winning a game this doesn't cover. Even with a great list, you'll still need to know about deployment, target selection, etc. Some Orky tactics can be found here.

GENERAL
- Have a specific goal and strategy in mind when building your list, and build towards it.
-Powerclaws are highly recomended for Nobs
-Mixing special weapons in a single unit is not recomended. 3 Rokkits or 3 BS is good. 2BS and a Rokkit not so good.
-Always take your maximum allowable special weapons in a given unit. Fairly cheap, and hugely useful.
- Spending too much points on non-scoring units (tranpsorts/ICs) can hurt you a lot in certain scenarios (e.g. Seek & Destroy)
- Mega boostas on ICs are not that necessary as they roll 3d6 for difficult terrain, though they can still be handy.
- If your nob has no PK, give him tank-busta bombs just in case.
- Don't buy too much varied wargear if you will forget to use it during the game. It's better to equip all your nobz/vehicles with similar wargear/upgrades, so that you can easily remember who has what.
- If you take any trukks, always accompany them with some buggys to cut enemy's LoS
- If you take any big tanks make sure you have more than 1 of them to force the enemy to split their fire (e.g. Your BW will live longer if you take a Russ or Demolisher too)
- Make sure you have more than one unit that can do any one thing. For example, have more than one unit that can threaten tanks. A single unit can be isolated or destroyed too easily.
- Rokkits on your trukks can be a handy back up anti-tank unit.
- On buggies, rokkits and scorchas are the prefered weapons, with rokkits being favoured in KOS, and Scorchas in footsloggers, though both still have their uses in either list. Mega Blastas are just bad.
- Play more than one game with a list before revising it. A units performance in one game may be skewed due to luck.

FOOTSLOGGERS:
- Too much gear on Painboss is not cost effective since he's a fragile IC
-Grots should always have Slavers, and Slavers should always have a Squighound.
-At 2pts, Riggers are an absolute steal, and highly recommended for all vehicles that can take them.
- Grots are a must for any selfrespecting footslogger army
- Killa kanz go further if accompanied by meks with KFFs, toolz and oilers.
- If you take any light vehicles, make sure you take a lot of them (or be carefull and hide them for enemy LoS).
Being a winner is easy if your definition of victory is flexible enough.

IronShark

IronShark

Dreadsock Enforcer

• Nobz
  • 4,353 posts
  • Army Name:WAAAGH Morgrim!
I'd like to keep this post as clean as possible; I've moved the discusion from this thread over to the original topic over in the Goff Fortress.

I've made some edits to the original list to take the advice into account. I'm trying to keep it as quick and concise as possible, so that it's not intimidating or overly complicated for a beginner trying to put a list together.
Being a winner is easy if your definition of victory is flexible enough.

EwokWarboss

EwokWarboss

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 211 posts
  • Army Name:Da Gwyza Huntas
I think some veteran should think about rewriting this post, as we're already having a huge amount of people asking about their lists. Just my two bitz.
"Sir, whats that in the blizzard?"
"It looks like a boar Sergeant"
"
*silence*"
"Sergeant?"
"Sound the al..
*gurgle*"

Waaagh to the Sneeky Gits!!!

old-zogwart

old-zogwart

Throws the bomb, not the pin.

• Grotz
  • 1 posts
  • Army Name:deff stormaz (and a bit of urban axes)
awesome tips. ive nearly got my 5000 point army :cheers :blush

CareyBear

CareyBear

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 33 posts
  • Army Name:SkarWaz Grimdakka's Feral Kult of Speed
EDIT: This is a 5th-friendly version. Feel free to cut/paste it back into first post. Once you do, I'll edit it out of here to keep the thread clean. Cheers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those of you making some Ork lists for the first time, this is a list of good advice. If your list goes against the advice listed here, your responses may be limited to people saying the same things over again.

Remember, these are just list building tips. There is a lot to winning a game this doesn't cover. Even with a great list, you'll still need to know about deployment, target selection, etc. Some Orky tactics can be found here.

GENERAL
- Have a specific goal and strategy in mind when building your list, and build towards it.
-Powerclaws are highly recomended for Nobs
-Bosspoles are even more highly recommended
-Mixing special weapons in a single unit is not recomended. 3 Rokkits or 3 BS is good. 2BS and a Rokkit not so good.
-Keep the unit's role in mind when taking special weapons. Rokkits give you some AT but are unreliable. Big Shootas can reach out and touch someone - but both stop you from running.
- Spending too much points on non-scoring units can hurt you a lot in certain scenarios (e.g. Seek & Destroy). Make sure you take enough troops units. Good thing Orks are good and cheap.
- Mega boostas on ICs are not that necessary as they roll 3d6 for difficult terrain, though they can still be handy.
- If your nob has no PK, give him a Big Choppa. It can't hurt big vehicles but it can hurt most things. Good for charging vehicles.
- Don't buy too much varied wargear if you will forget to use it during the game. It's better to equip all your nobz/vehicles with similar wargear/upgrades, so that you can easily remember who has what.
- If you take any trukks, always accompany them with some buggys to help with Cover.
- If you take any big tanks make sure you have more than 1 of them to force the enemy to split their fire (e.g. Your BW will live longer if you take two)
- Make sure you have more than one unit that can do any one thing. For example, have more than one unit that can threaten tanks. A single unit can be isolated or destroyed too easily.
- Rokkits on your trukks can be a handy back up anti-tank unit.
- On buggies, rokkits and scorchas are the prefered weapons, with rokkits being favoured in KOS, and Scorchas in footsloggers, though both still have their uses in either list. Some recommend always taking Trakks. Grots are not a useful upgrade (squadrons immobilised are destroyed), nor are Armour Plates (squadrons stunned become shaken) unless taking only one buggy.
- Play more than one game with a list before revising it. A units performance in one game may be skewed due to luck.

FOOTSLOGGERS:
- At 5pts, Riggers are good value, and highly recommended for all non-squadron vehicles that can take them.
- Grots are a must for any selfrespecting footslogger army. 4+ cover!
- Killa kanz and Dreads go further if accompanied by meks with KFFs, toolz and oilers. BigMeks and Burnaz are the two preferred methods.
- If you take any light vehicles, make sure you take a lot of them (or be careful and hide them for cover or out of LOS if possible).

Zio

Zio

Growler (pet squig)

• Grotz
  • 90 posts
  • Army Name:Numerous
Great advice in general. Interestingly enough (to me anyway), these are things I already do as an old school ork player. None-the-less sound advice and good to hear from another mouth! A couple things still outdated with the list however; - Mega boostas on ICs are not that necessary as they roll 3d6 for difficult terrain, though they can still be handy... ??? Mega boosterz what?!? -Seek & Destroy... i assume you mean kill points?
With orks, even too many is not enough!