Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Drabber's Mega Gargant

* * * * - 5 votes

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

drabber

drabber

Stainless Steel Skull

• Boyz
  • 560 posts
  • Army Name:the Orkin Armada
I started working on me Mega Gargant again. I had been holding off on posting pics as I wanted to show it when it was complete.

So bare in mind that it's not complete, there is still a bunch of construction to do. I just started painting it so I could see what it looked like with a bit of color on it.

As much as I'd like to keep it as a secret, I have begun to feel that I could get some help and advice. its easy to get overwhelmed in a project of this size.

So here goes, I'll start "The Mega Gargant Tour" ;)

We begin with Barry and one of the sources of inspiration, the epic scale mega gargant model.
Posted Image

I am using the epic model to test paint schemes before I cover the big guy.

Here it is in all it's glory, I don't have a tape measure handy (can't find mine ATM) but you can see that its a large model, there is Barry on top of it's head.
Posted Image

Here it is from the back.
Posted Image

Close up of the back, with the weirdboy tower arm folded down.
Posted Image

The back has a geared mechanism (looted from a vcr) which rolls up, opening the rear door
Posted Image

The rear panel is also removable, to give access to the interior decks,

Posted Image

Barry standing inside on the bottom level...
Posted Image

Barry has moved further inside the 'gant and is standing beside the furnace, Notice that there is enough room on the bottom level to transport a battle wagon, or a couple buggy squads, I need to make the doors to cover the openings, and fold down to become ramps.
Posted Image

The furnace is the primary power source in the gargant, squads of grots shovel coal and other flammable things into it to provide power.

Posted Image

I've reached the max pics per post, and have much more to show, so this will be continued...

-brad

[edited to re-link pics]

drabber

drabber

Stainless Steel Skull

• Boyz
  • 560 posts
ok, where were we,

Climbing up to the second level gives access to the gun decks armed with a pair of forgeworld kannons,
Posted Image

Barry on the third level gun decks, with two more kannons
Posted Image

Inside on the third level you can see the sheild generator and the stalls on the right, which provide the Posted Image

in adition to the gun decks in the front, there are turrets on the tops of the legs, armed with zzap guns

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here is barry on the top(4th) deck, we can see part of the gears which control the arms and the door which leads to the top kannon turret.
Posted Image

the top kannon turret
Posted Image

Climbing a bit higher, He stands beside the head,
Posted Image

continued...

... sorry for the triple post, but I've had a lot of model to cover...

Here are his big weapons...
Posted Image

Posted Image

So here is my problem, what to work on next? there are things which need to be bulked up, detailed, the interior needs work and the towers on the tope of the cranes haven't even been started, it could use some ladders, and the interior needs some love.

Also, the inside is a bit difficult to get to, and this monstrosity is very hard to store, so I've been thinking about cutting it into sections, but I'm affraid... very affraid

so what's next?

-brad

Gutzmek

Gutzmek

Syringe Squig

• Grotz
  • 77 posts
  • Army Name:da Schrottsammlaz
WOW ! That thing is huge !
Very nice detailed work ! It`s very similar to the epic model. First I thought:
" Hey, very good painting job on that epic mega gargant! "
After that I saw this picture and I couldn`t believe my eyes as I saw this little Ork next to the kannon.
The Gargant is so fantastic and it`s so tall !
With other words: I love it ! ;)
Good paint job ! The gargant has the true orky look like if it was build out of many different parts and you see that orks don`t like to wash their vehicles :D

-Gutzmek-
click `ere to see a part of my ork-Army: "Gutzmeks Scrap Collectors"

last update:painted Warboss on bike (7.10.06)

Ein

Ein

Yellow Paint Job

• Boyz
  • 1,492 posts
  • Army Name:I still don't actually have a name for 'em.
Gloriously huge, gloriously detailed. The very fact that you did devote time to the interior is wonderful, it adds that extra touch. This thing must take up an entire table quarter by itself! The only thing I think could use some loving are the techmarine-esque arms on it. They look a little too spindly and fragile - not clunky and orky enough. A little bit of armor plating can go a long way to correct that sort of thing.
Like my work? Check my blog!
http://www.the-warforge.com
Resin-cast bits and bobs for your armies!
WARFORGED MINIATURES

Adventures of a Prehistoric Puppet!
MURRAY THE DINOSAUR

oberst_kramer

oberst_kramer

Kommando

• Bad Moonz
  • 967 posts
  • Army Name:Tuznik Boneshaka' 'Eavystomping Horde
*watches gargant from the feet till the torso, applies eye drops,looks from the torso to the head, waves to Barry* OMG(Oh my Gork!) this is so huuuuge! Can't barely imagine how you have had the guts to start and nearly finish this lumbering monstruosity. It is trully a fantastic thing to see and very rare, and the level of detail is amazing apart of having a proppa dusty paintjob. I say don't cut it into sections! :nono, you'll surely will find some kind of box, or maybe you could build a "little" glass box where you can store it, keepit dust-free and can show to visitants. You could even ask a dollar for showing it! ;)
More Krumpin' and less talkin'

Jean-Luc Picard ends with 'Ard!

"There's a difference between bein' Smart boy an' bein' a Smart Git Gimzod"- Kommanda Uzgob, from Deff Skwadron

Waaagh Tuznik's Noo Codex kill tally sofar: W:18 D:3 L:3

Ace

Ace

Tankbusta Boy

• Grot Rebelz
  • 410 posts
  • Army Name:Snagdregs ladz
You know this would be good for kill team or an orky version of necromunda.

Andrew the Eternal

Andrew the Eternal

Dreadnought Pilot

• Bad Moonz
  • 1,894 posts
  • Army Name:Da Great 'Orde uv Nazgor Goldteef
(We need an Ork smily with his jaw hitting the floor. No other smily does this thing justice. Not even this :eek .) The model itself is godly, but making it possible to get to everything on the inside?! You are an artist. However, I do agree that the arms are too thin and weedy. I have to ask, what more do you need to do!?
QUOTE (GrimTeef @ Oct 12 2007, 12:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Orks even make more interesting corpses than Imperials. We're just that good.
You're smiling. When you smile, civilizations die.

Tepok

Tepok

Skarboy

• Freebooterz
  • 1,447 posts
  • Army Name:Evil Moonz (Pirates)
This is amazing! The interior, the un decks, absolutely amazing! the arms are too weedy tho, need a bit more work. How long did this take to build? 5 years?

Proppa Unproppa

Raze_Everything

Raze_Everything

Squighound

• Boyz
  • 111 posts
Wow... Great job sir.

deamoncow

deamoncow

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,031 posts
  • Army Name:Da Gear Boyz
holy... damn... that is a true beast of rust and scrap. the arms are FAR too spindly, but the model is truely amazing... great god in heavan... wow
WAAAGH DA GEAR BOYZ!
Warboss~Gregza Un Bonzif da Stompy
Big Mek~Big Mek Dogbreff

If there is an Ork Stompa released by GW anytime this year I will eat my own genitalz winkingOrk.gif
~Kr00za

I'm holding you to this Kr00za, you better do it. Pics or medical forms as proof

HAMPSTER SQUADRON my webcomic! http://hamsquadcomic.googlepages.com/

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,752 posts
  • Army Name:Thousand Tribes Waaagh
*sound of jaw hitting floor, followed by eyeballs bouncing and rolling off into the corners* This is beautiful, Drabs. Please, don't cut it. It's just too risky. If you really don't have a storage solution you can mail it to me and I'll store it for you. ;) I'm with the others... armor plate those long arms to hide their spindly appearance. The interior details are lovely. I don't have a clue how you'd be able to work further in there, but if you really want to: get tiny and think like an Ork. In your buggy/wagon bay mark out a couple "parking spots" by surrounding them with piles of mek detritus... spare wheels, engine parts, tools, ammo crates, maybe add a stripped buggy up on blocks. A pile of coal, grots and a slaver seem essential for the furnace. Dude, this is a heroic effort already, how many hours have you got into it so far? Oh and did I mention the paint job rocks? Waaagh the Mega-gargant!
Orks -- comic relief in the grim darkness of the far future.

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

A wise grot knowz da roolz of Da Waaagh and obeyz dem.

warboss grimlok

warboss grimlok

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 32 posts
wow, thats truely amazing, how long did it take you to build it? 1 problem i have with it is the size of the kannons on the chest floors. the forgeworld kannons would b a bit weedy of a mega gargant, they need to be a lot bigger

ThorDUDE

ThorDUDE

Stormboy Nob

• Speed Freaks
  • 3,663 posts
  • Army Name:Gogripps Raiderz
it would be a great battleground for 40k-scale Inquisitor... it is so frikking awesome that no large letters or flattering adjectives could ever even begin to encompass its sheer splendor. Nor could any self-applying verb ever describe an approprieate reaction to the sight of this wonder. Simply astonishing... The arms could need some beefing up, i would build a box around them, so that they are glued to only one of the beams, (that will make it look like working hydraulics) Further i would build hydraulics on the outside aswell, only, not fill them with oil (movable one, one plastic tube in another, pretty simple really) Most importanly i would do some fake hydraulics in his armpit!
A genuinly profound and witty signature

gojira1

gojira1

Speckled Bloodshade Fungus

• Grotz
  • 17 posts
How many feet tall is it? Excellent job. I think the arms look good but I think they would look better scaled up maybe 50%.

Rakka Dakka

Rakka Dakka

Lobotomy

• Boyz
  • 768 posts
  • Army Name:'ard toofs
im not going to stat the obvious (thats he;s frigin awesome) but I have one question did you use a brush or a air brush to do this cuz the paint looks really really good :/
theres no greater thing than the WAAAAGGHH!

Mukrut rocks the Avatar world

Gashbad

Gashbad

Stompa Warz Champeen

• Freebooterz
  • 2,510 posts
  • Army Name:Gashbad's Loudboyz
Sweet zombie jesus! It's huge! Absolutely jaw dropping work, from the outside to the interior detail.
This user has been given a total of four (4) 'free" rants as sporeday gifts from the members of this site.
Some conditions apply, check coupon for details

MTD

MTD

Snapper Jawz

• Boyz
  • 776 posts
  • Army Name:Black Dags and the Red Blitz
The build is great. I would like to see more color in the painting. For something so large I'd go back every few weeks and do a few armor plates in other colors. Or just invite over the boys and girls for a mass/group paint session and let everyone take a color. If you know any good freehand artists let them go at this thing and add a bit of graffiti. Very impressive in the scale!
http://mekaniacmachi...s.blogspot.com/

I'm a Nutter. I do commission work. PM me.

drabber

drabber

Stainless Steel Skull

• Boyz
  • 560 posts
Thank you all for the kind words, I started this model almost eleven years ago, when I was fifteen, but its really hard to count the hours invested in it, as he's been put in storage a couple times, and spent a couple years in my mum's attik. From tracks to head he's 30 inches tall, and track to track 24 inches wide, front to back around 27 inches long, so in a game he'd take up a little over a standard table quarter, and would never fit in a standard deployment zone Lets face it the only thing that could stand up to it would be an equally big emperator titan, and I've only ever seen one of those in 40k scale. All the decks and floors have enough space for models to move around freely, so my dream has always been to use him for some small kill team missions, making the enemy fight their way to the head to face off with the Kaptin. I've never been able to feild him in a propper(mega) battle, but did use him in as terrain in a couple necromunda games, and he got to be mektown in gorkamorka too... I rarely play anymore, its been a couple years, now I just like to model, perhaps some day I'll sign up for annother tourney. So far what I've done is, black primer, light yellow drybrush( with a 1 inch brush), airbrushed green around the armorplates, then orange around the trim, drybrushed light yellow again, then airbrushed black around the armorplates followed by brown on the trim and the tops of the armorplates. The paint is still far from done, but I'm a bit stuck for the color scheme at the moment, hes feeling a bit badmoony, so i think he needs a few more random colors... The tricky bit is that I'd like to make him match my army, but I've always played freebooterz and so I've got a squads from every clan. Graffiti is a great idea, also some glyphs, perhaps some checks too, but I'm thinking it is good for now, the paint will have to wait for more of the modeling to be complete. Its true the kannons do look rather weedy in a beast as big as this, and at one time,(before forgeworld) I made bigger, enclosed gun turrets for the gun decks, but they left too little space for the boyz to move around, so I think I'll stick with these ones for now More small details will be on the way as work progresses, I really liked what Magos was doing with his 'gant as far as making it all seem functional, doors where they'd need to be, loading cranes etc, so things i can do to make it seem lived in and beleivable are appreciated, Tools, a scrap pile, the pile of coal and the buggy parking spaces are ace ideas :cheers Painting the inside and detailing some floors, like the 2nd floor, is really problematic which is edging me back to cutting it up and making it disassemblable, well that combined with the KFF generator, it's a working "plasma ball light", except in my overzealous meking I sealed it in place without it's power cord, so I've got to cut into it to be able to plug it in... :( I'd started a couple shoveling grotz, but the krew will now be mounted to the model, for potential game play reasons, and most likely I'll go back to working on them last Sounds like the consensus is that the arms are too weak at the moment, so it sounds like the place to start is the Krusher arm, and I've got some bitz in mind to bulk it up, like a model railroad steel girder bridge :thumbs Some hydraulics would be really killer too, but I'm out of pipes, and am worried that they will impede its ability to move, Anybody got any ideas how to make them functionally hinged or mounted in a way that won't prevent it moving? Also what kind of glue will work to bond plasticard to styrofoam? I know most will eat the foam, but white glue is too weak to hold the (nonpourous)plastic... ok, enough text for now... thanks again for the comments, please keep 'em coming as this is still a WIP and input is appreciated... -brad

Big Mek Guzzlegutt

Big Mek Guzzlegutt

Oily Squig

• Boyz
  • 107 posts
  • Army Name:?? Freebooters
STUNNING!!! It brings a tear to this old ork'z eye sockets. This thread needs to be pinned!!! -Guzz
All opinions submitted are of an individual known as Big Mek Guzzlegutt, and not those of the-Waagh or members.

magos_mechanicus

magos_mechanicus

Stormboy

• Deathskullz
  • 1,353 posts
  • Army Name:Dok Ork's Lootas
Now that is one seriously impressie 'Gant!
I think a lot of the major points have been covered already though, so I'll just add a jobz a good 'un! :thumbs

As for making moveable hydraulics, I'd been wondering the same thing myself. I suspect the secret lies in putting some sort of 'stop' on the hinges themselves, as I haven't been able to come up with a decen't looking way of putting them on the hydraulics themselves.

it's a working "plasma ball light"

Now where d'you get that from?
(I mean, it's a Tesla coil in a light bulb! how cool is that? :thumbs)
~Nought to lose but my chains,
Internet feeds on my brains~