Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

GargDregga is looking to the skies!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

Kr00zA

Kr00zA

Grumpy ole Git

• Goffz
  • 9,989 posts
  • Army Name:Big Berk'z Bashaz
The last set up is the most unoriganal, but with that said it does look the best ;) I dont like the wing shape. Id much prefer them to be simple triangle shaped, like a MIG ;) But that wont work now the engines have been shortened. So just square them off a bit ;)
Nuf Said.

Avatarz by KroozA and Animated Avatarz by KroozA ... Please dont link directly to them. Save one and upload it to the forum.

Quase

Quase

Big Mek

• Nobz
  • 4,200 posts
  • Army Name:Da Klan ov da Golden Teef

In pics # 1, 2, & 4, the engines look 'angeled'. When I try and straigten them, I have a problem with the front of the engine being away from the hull, and the rear of the engine being flush up against the hull. Should I bother to straighten them, or leave them as is in pics 1, 2, & 4?

Leave them as in the piccies :yes
As Kr00zA said, it might not be the most original thing to do but it looks guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuud

As for the nose, difficult to say immediately... Do you have the bit at hand that should be glued there? It might give us some idears :yes
Roight, any questions?
Yes?
Too bad!
It be time to WAAAGH!

Quase -

Warboss GargDregga

Warboss GargDregga

Flash Git

• Freebooterz
  • 1,081 posts
  • Army Name: Waaagh! Dregga or Klan Dregga

The last set up is the most unoriganal, but with that said it does look the best ;)
I dont like the wing shape. Id much prefer them to be simple triangle shaped, like a MIG ;) But that wont work now the engines have been shortened. So just square them off a bit ;)

I thought so as well (most unoriginal), but it does look the better of all the things I have tried. I am doing my best at trying to keep this a simple build (my first attempt and all), so rebuilding the entire wings was very unlikely to happen. (My Plasticard-fu isn't good enuff to try that just yet, at least my confidence isn't). I have every plan to square off the ends of the wings, I had actually forgotten to do that. Might get that done right now actually...

**5 minutes later**
Posted Image

GD

As for the nose, difficult to say immediately... Do you have the bit at hand that should be glued there? It might give us some idears :yes

Yeah sure, here ya go...

Off the front.
[attachmentid=14917]

On the front.
[attachmentid=14918]

[attachmentid=14919]

Behind this goes the standard 'engine' for the Propellor.

GargDregga
... IT'S MADE OF PLASTIC!!!! - KROOZA

"I can fix dat." - Gooba - Baltimore Gamesday 2006.

Waaagh! Dregga Medusa V Game Tally: Ranked 5th overall in AUS/NZ region. 102nd Globally.

"Yeah, we flew our space church across 500 light years to get to this planet taken over by the orks. Now we're going to drop from orbit in buckets and run out and shoot pistols and hit people in the head with chainsaws. Ultramarines!" - Zack

Kr00zA

Kr00zA

Grumpy ole Git

• Goffz
  • 9,989 posts
Id go for a nose cone. Most every FB Ive seen has a intake mounted on the nose so do something different ;) And with the engines mounted on the sides it realy doesnt need an intake on the nose ;)
Nuf Said.

Avatarz by KroozA and Animated Avatarz by KroozA ... Please dont link directly to them. Save one and upload it to the forum.

Dangerous_Beans

Dangerous_Beans

Paint Squig

• Boyz
  • 100 posts
I also think you need a nose cone type thing at the front. There is no need for an air intake and I don't think a nose turret would look that good. Rather than an actual cone I think a wedge/pyramid cross might look good. So like a wedge but with the thin edge about 2/3rds of the height of the body of the plane.

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,752 posts
  • Army Name:Thousand Tribes Waaagh
I feel the need for a nose cannon. :dakka Maybe it's just me but when I see the front end of this thing I picture the end of the movie "The Mask" where the Mask is facing down the bad guys and pulls out two "guns". Looks great so far. :thumbs
Orks -- comic relief in the grim darkness of the far future.

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

A wise grot knowz da roolz of Da Waaagh and obeyz dem.

Scarpia

Scarpia

No Gud Lootin' Git!

• Deathskullz
  • 5,709 posts
  • Army Name:Warboss Bobz Killa Konvitkz
I guess I'm too late. I like the one where they were mid wing, it would be easy to beef up the structure with plastic ibeams, you could have run them like the old support wires on early monoplanes that ran from the wings to a central post. Either way, looking good!
meh.

Warboss GargDregga

Warboss GargDregga

Flash Git

• Freebooterz
  • 1,081 posts
Heya All;

Thanks for the feedback so far. I have done a test fit of an 'extremely roughly done' nose cone, and the body shape/length/size just didn't lend itself to having a cone'd nose, sorry all.

I have toyed with a few ideas, but nothing seems to look right at all. Even the idea of the verticle wedge (which I really liked) just looked awkward, and wrong.

I have ended up almost keeping the... bluntness of the nose, but have given it an angle at the same time. I won't try to explain, hopefully the pics will show what I was trying to achieve.

At the front of the plane, I added a 10mm wide tube od plasticard. I then cut the tube diagonally so that the top of the tube was 10mm wide and the bottom of the tube is 5mm wide. It looks bad at the moment, but with armor plates it should meld nicely with the rest of the fuselage...
Posted Image

I then covered the front of the fuselage/nose with a peice of plasticard cut to shape. Where the (highly artistic :rolleyes ) impression of the teef are, is where armor plates will be used to create the pattern. The teef will continue around the sides of the nose and along the fuselage and end just at the beginning of the engines. The 'armor teef' won't have a gap as large between them as the one in the drawing...
Posted Image

Thoughts?

GargDregga

[EDIT]

Sitting here looking at the model, I thought the front looked to 'cornered/square/sharp' on the edges. Then it dawned on me. I test fitted the actual nose-front peice of the model, and it worked! The sharpness of the edges is now taken care of, and the look is alot better...
Posted Image

I think so anyway. ;)

[/EDIT]

Edited by Warboss GargDregga, 06 October 2006 - 09:45 AM.

Waaagh! Dregga Medusa V Game Tally: Ranked 5th overall in AUS/NZ region. 102nd Globally.

"Yeah, we flew our space church across 500 light years to get to this planet taken over by the orks. Now we're going to drop from orbit in buckets and run out and shoot pistols and hit people in the head with chainsaws. Ultramarines!" - Zack

4tonmantis

4tonmantis

Wartrukk Driver

• Deathskullz
  • 1,654 posts
  • Army Name:Dethskulls and Badmoons...verging more on Freebooters...
ooh... shiney.... I like that alot. I'm going to stick in the obvious dags around the nosecone bit and suggest some random hoses/fuel lines running from the open space down to the engines. I work with aircraft and have a few notes about that in particular (I will try to send engine pics but have to do it from a non-gov computer...) hoses tend to run however they need to but fuel lines run in sharp-ish bends (usually between 45* and 90*). The wings are actually the perfect thickness and if you do armor plate do not use 1mm that is WAAAAY too thick. On a side note, I have to admit I hate seeing the conflict our input is causing, I'd hate to think I'm causing more harm than good.
CODE
Originally Posted by Uthan the Perverse in 'Culture vs. Kultur: Thoughts on Orkish Society'
The Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst. Who are we to judge them? We panzee who have failed, or the Humans, on the road to ruin in their turn. And why? Because we sought answers to questions that an Ork wouldn't even bother to ask. We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude.

Check out my site and blog. Pardon the horrendous design.. it's a WiP

Captain_Vyper

Captain_Vyper

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 308 posts
OK so its not super original but how about extending the nose out at the top like the FW one sort of like a shark. ( a bit more than you already have that is ) Then strap an iron gob on the bottom. Its not very aero dynamic eithe but will look cool and its very Orky!
Ya know, we should sculpt some female Orks. What!? Yeah the customers want em and I think we can sell em besides they have to come from some where. I dont know about that. Well whats your idea? Lets make em come from mushrooms! ........?WTF!?

http://www.pbase.com...vypers_pit/root

Kr00zA

Kr00zA

Grumpy ole Git

• Goffz
  • 9,989 posts
Well if its not a cone then Id like to see something sharkish like this...

Posted Image
Nuf Said.

Groms

Groms

Kickin' Grot

• Boyz
  • 136 posts
Looks like the bomma is coming algon great :thumbs . I like the idea of a shark look, give it that mean look. I do have one question though. Have you ever used a bomma in a battle, and if so how did it work out for you? :cheers

Captain Destructo

Captain Destructo

Gyro Stabilised Monowheel

• Boyz
  • 526 posts
  • Army Name:There isn't one.
Um. *Waves arms around frantically, trying to communicate idea*. :!

I was thinking you should have the air intake above the nose, muscle-car-esque, and keep the teef idea, they're so orky. I've drawn a picture (as much as it might look like an angry face, it's the teef with air intake and twin linked BS-type thing above them. The magazines are \/ shaped so the pilot can at least have a good look at what he's giving some dakka to). That's the idea, anywho. :blush

Posted Image

Warboss GargDregga

Warboss GargDregga

Flash Git

• Freebooterz
  • 1,081 posts

ooh... shiney.... I like that alot. I'm going to stick in the obvious dags around the nosecone bit and suggest some random hoses/fuel lines running from the open space down to the engines.

'The Open Space'?

I work with aircraft and have a few notes about that in particular (I will try to send engine pics but have to do it from a non-gov computer...) hoses tend to run however they need to but fuel lines run in sharp-ish bends (usually between 45* and 90*).

Pics would be very much appreciated, thankyou.

The wings are actually the perfect thickness and if you do armor plate do not use 1mm that is WAAAAY too thick.

Unforunately, I only have access to either 0.9mm or 1.4mm thickness plasticard (in my area), so I was going to go with the 0.9mm for armor'ing up the plane. I do also have some 0.2mm plasticard (paper thin), but that would be useless to use on the plane itself as I want to do 'sunken rivets'.

On a side note, I have to admit I hate seeing the conflict our input is causing, I'd hate to think I'm causing more harm than good.

NOT AT ALL. I thrive on the conflict. Please, everyone keep the ideas rollin' in. I might not use alot of them, but at least the ideas are put forward. Without them, I would've ended up with a small fuselage with two HUGE engines just sat ontop of the wings... :puke . It has been everyone's ideas that has gotten me to where I am now, and they are EXTREMELY APPRECIATED!

GargDregga

Um. *Waves arms around frantically, trying to communicate idea*. :!

I was thinking you should have the air intake above the nose, muscle-car-esque, and keep the teef idea, they're so orky. I've drawn a picture (as much as it might look like an angry face, it's the teef with air intake and twin linked BS-type thing above them. The magazines are \/ shaped so the pilot can at least have a good look at what he's giving some dakka to). That's the idea, anywho. :blush

Posted Image

*Waves back at Mad Bazza and thinks about calling lifeguards, then realises what is going on**

The 'front' of the nose isn't going to be an air intake port. The teef are just gonna be there fer show/armor. With the TLBS, I am trying to decide at the moment whether I want a Grot gunner behind the pilot, or to have the TLBS up front (where you have it). I haven't fully decided on that yet.

GargDregga

4tonmantis

4tonmantis

Wartrukk Driver

• Deathskullz
  • 1,654 posts
The "open space" would be more accurately described as the dead space where the new plasticard is on the nose cone... though I'm not sure that there's that much of it after looking again... I'm coming down with something so I may be a little out of it... :sowhat

I told you there'd be pics and here they are!
(note: these are from underneath and the panels that normally conceal this stuff are lifted for maintenance)
Posted Image

Posted Image

EDIT: what about a tiny ball turret with a snotling?
CODE
Originally Posted by Uthan the Perverse in 'Culture vs. Kultur: Thoughts on Orkish Society'
The Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst. Who are we to judge them? We panzee who have failed, or the Humans, on the road to ruin in their turn. And why? Because we sought answers to questions that an Ork wouldn't even bother to ask. We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude.

deamoncow

deamoncow

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,031 posts
  • Army Name:Da Gear Boyz
have, from in between the teef, a TLBS sticking out like a toung. or have a snot in there trying to do repairs mid-flight
WAAAGH DA GEAR BOYZ!
Warboss~Gregza Un Bonzif da Stompy
Big Mek~Big Mek Dogbreff

If there is an Ork Stompa released by GW anytime this year I will eat my own genitalz winkingOrk.gif
~Kr00za

I'm holding you to this Kr00za, you better do it. Pics or medical forms as proof

HAMPSTER SQUADRON my webcomic! http://hamsquadcomic.googlepages.com/

4tonmantis

4tonmantis

Wartrukk Driver

• Deathskullz
  • 1,654 posts
deamoncow good call.. a grot in there would be great, i think the squashed snot/grot from the giant sprue tucked in there would be cool, it'd look like he got sucked in and flattened against the vanes
CODE

deamoncow

deamoncow

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,031 posts
  • Army Name:Da Gear Boyz
i was thinking more of a grot holding on for dear life as he tries to rivit one last toof in...
WAAAGH DA GEAR BOYZ!
Warboss~Gregza Un Bonzif da Stompy
Big Mek~Big Mek Dogbreff

If there is an Ork Stompa released by GW anytime this year I will eat my own genitalz winkingOrk.gif
~Kr00za

I'm holding you to this Kr00za, you better do it. Pics or medical forms as proof

HAMPSTER SQUADRON my webcomic! http://hamsquadcomic.googlepages.com/

ghaleon88

ghaleon88

Gargant Krew

• Goffz
  • 2,847 posts
  • Army Name:Grotsbane's Krumpas
Darn... I was really hoping for the wedge nosecone. I think it would be most easily acheived if sculpted from milliput, rather than plasticard. Anyway, like Scarpia I really preferred the middle-of-the-wing jet engine arrangement. It reminded me a lot of the SR-71, which somehow didn't get its wings torn off despite very powerful engines. Somehow, having them against the hull makes it look less fast - I'm not sure why. Something to do with "visual weight", I'd assume.
Sneeky invisork: 4 2 3 4 1 2 2 7 5+