Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

GargDregga is looking to the skies!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

Warboss GargDregga

Warboss GargDregga

Flash Git

• Freebooterz
  • 1,081 posts
  • Army Name: Waaagh! Dregga or Klan Dregga
Heya All;

With his ability to maintain a constant run of victories so far on the surface of Mudooza Ive, Warboss GargDregga is now lookin' towardz da skiez.

I am thinking seriously about making a fighta or fightabomba, and want to do something... different (if possible). I have searched and read, and read and searched, thru all the Fighta/FBomba threads on this forum*. I have taken notes, gone to the relative model companies websites, looked at dimensions and measurements, and have decided that I do evntually want to attempt to make one but I want to use 'what I have at the moment' differently to others.

"What I have at the moment"

A) I recently had my b'day, and my youngest grot went and purchased possibly the best present I could've hoped for (for this project). He got me a AMT/Ertl 1:32 Anakin's Podracer model. Straight away, I realise everyones thinking... ah Darkfather has just realised how 'yummy' dem engine bits are from the podracer...

Well yes I have. :biggrin .

B) Lot's of Plasticard sheets (A5 in size), of different thickness's. 1.4mm, 0.5mm, & 0.05mm (this stuff is almost thinner than paper!).

C) LOTS of bitz.

Now... What I want to do is...

A) Use a different plane model than the ones I have read about so far.
B) Place the Podracer engines under the wings.
C) Get a model that will be 'big enough' length-wise and wingspan-wise.
D) Not stuff it up :nono .

I realise that I am about to start on (possibly) a big job here, so I will be looking for LOTSA help in each stage of it's construction (even though I have read threads already and taken HEAPS of notes). As far as the choice of plane is concerned, I have looked at a few different models. At the moment I quite like this one (a Brewster B 339 Buffalo). But I am unsure of what scale I will be best able to match the 1:32 podracer engines to, as far as a model plane is concerned.

Would the model I have linked too make a good base for this project (using the podracer engines under the wings), or would there be a better plane to go for?

Ok, well I have asked ALOT of questions already, so I will wait and see what replies/help I get before I go any further.

Oh, by the way. If the linked model would suffice (size etc) then I could get one from Aus Ebay in the next 1hr 25 mins.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys/gals can give me.

DF

* = The threads I have read through and studied are unbelievably awesome. @ Quase (I hope I get this right); How you didn't win anything for that model of yours astounds me :nono .
... IT'S MADE OF PLASTIC!!!! - KROOZA

"I can fix dat." - Gooba - Baltimore Gamesday 2006.

Waaagh! Dregga Medusa V Game Tally: Ranked 5th overall in AUS/NZ region. 102nd Globally.

"Yeah, we flew our space church across 500 light years to get to this planet taken over by the orks. Now we're going to drop from orbit in buckets and run out and shoot pistols and hit people in the head with chainsaws. Ultramarines!" - Zack

Kr00zA

Kr00zA

Grumpy ole Git

• Goffz
  • 9,989 posts
  • Army Name:Big Berk'z Bashaz
Looks to be a soild bases for a FightaBomba.
I wont waste time listing aload of sudjestions, just read though this thread for some ideas.

http://www.the-waaag...p...=12480&st=0
Nuf Said.

Avatarz by KroozA and Animated Avatarz by KroozA ... Please dont link directly to them. Save one and upload it to the forum.

Warboss GargDregga

Warboss GargDregga

Flash Git

• Freebooterz
  • 1,081 posts

Looks to be a soild bases for a FightaBomba.
I wont waste time listing aload of sudjestions, just read though this thread for some ideas.

http://www.the-waaag...p...=12480&st=0

Heya Krooza;

Thanks for the link dude. I already have it in my Fighta Bible 'favs' listing. Don't worry, I have been reading anything I can lay my eyes on as far as this projekt is concerned and yours and Quase's threads were EXTEMELY helpful.

You reckon the model I linked to would be a good enough base to have the podracer engines 'underslung'? If you reckon it's good enough to start with, that's all I need.

Off ta Ebay! Gotta get me bid in then wait fer an hour ta see if I win it.

Thanks for the help so far.

DF

Waaagh! Dregga Medusa V Game Tally: Ranked 5th overall in AUS/NZ region. 102nd Globally.

"Yeah, we flew our space church across 500 light years to get to this planet taken over by the orks. Now we're going to drop from orbit in buckets and run out and shoot pistols and hit people in the head with chainsaws. Ultramarines!" - Zack

Kr00zA

Kr00zA

Grumpy ole Git

• Goffz
  • 9,989 posts
Personly Id make one of these and replace the engines with podracer ones.

Attached Thumbnails

• s1940000.JPG

Nuf Said.

Avatarz by KroozA and Animated Avatarz by KroozA ... Please dont link directly to them. Save one and upload it to the forum.

Warboss GargDregga

Warboss GargDregga

Flash Git

• Freebooterz
  • 1,081 posts

Personly Id make one of these and replace the engines with podracer ones.

That looks 'different' that's fer sure. Well, anyway, I am now the proud owner of a new model plane (the linked one from my first post). Just gotta wait for it to get here now. Probably 3-5 business days. Hopefully no later than this weekend.

DF

ooverlord

ooverlord

steaming pile of ork dung

• Grotz
  • -43 posts
  • Army Name:wozblogs bangas
it looks fat and ramshackle very orky and wiv some podracer engines it would look crazy :/ very cool :yes

Quase

Quase

Big Mek

• Nobz
  • 4,200 posts
  • Army Name:Da Klan ov da Golden Teef
Well, all I can say is "good luck, and I'm sure it''l work out for you" When you look at my thread (which you've obviously already found), you'll see that in the beginning I didn't have a solid plan. I was more like "Well, uh, I've got me an airplane model, loads of p-card and two big :bleep engines and I want to make myself a Fighta Bomma" From there on, I started implementing changes which I thought were necessary (widening the hull to fit a pilot,...) and/or good-looking (the hightened rear, the grin,...). Getting feedback and suggestions all the way from other board members. Some I implemented, others I didn't (but always gave a reason why), sometimes retracing my steps and ripping stuff off I had spent a lot of time and sweat upon to replace 'em with something better-looking (the Big-Shoota casing,...). Just take your time, don't try to rush things, and I'm sure you'll enjoy the ride :yes And as for why I didn't win? Well, the frenchies put something in their water, that's for sure!
Roight, any questions?
Yes?
Too bad!
It be time to WAAAGH!

Quase -

ThorDUDE

ThorDUDE

Stormboy Nob

• Speed Freaks
  • 3,663 posts
  • Army Name:Gogripps Raiderz
The thing with these aircraft is that unless you have an internal engine, the nose will be pointy! I think it would look better with one internal engine and two on the wingtips! Mainly because it shows off those sweet engines!
A genuinly profound and witty signature

Warboss GargDregga

Warboss GargDregga

Flash Git

• Freebooterz
  • 1,081 posts
Thanks for the replies so far all.

@ Quase; I plan on taking my time with this, for sure. If I can get anything even close to the pristene job you did on yours, I will be extremely happy with it. I am excited already at the possibilities, and I have only just won the model plane on Ebay, I don't even have it yet! I have read sooo many posts about the Fighta's & Bomba's. I won't be rushing this at all, and I will be taking EVERY bit of advice and every idea onboard while the project lasts.

Sitting here thinking/reading/looking at 'stuff' (podracer bits) I got a little bored over-imaginative and I .. well.. built my 3rd Warbuggy. More for laughs than anything else, but it came out looking ... ok.

I will probably paint it up, and then decide what I think. I might even Ebay it.

DF

Nexus

Nexus

Flash Git

• Blood Axez
  • 1,100 posts
An interesting base mode you've chosen, I guess if you use the two jet engines you could have the current engine/propellor area as a little ball-turret with a load of bigshootas in, similar to the Imperial Marauder or a Lancaster bomber.
This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.

Warboss GargDregga

Warboss GargDregga

Flash Git

• Freebooterz
  • 1,081 posts
Heya All;

Well I have cleaned up my work area (kinda - and much to the liking of Mrs. GD). Here are the models I am going to attempt to 'meld' into a Fighta Bomba...

Engines from Anakin's Podracer.
Posted Image

And a Brewster B 339 Buffalo.
Posted Image

The actual bits, still on sprues.
Posted Image

HELP! Please.

I have looked at alot of threads, including Krooza's and Quase's, and have pretty much gotten the starting steps realised. There are a few things I would like to loot from both Krooz and Quase, and a few things I would like to do of my own design as well. I realise a good place to start will be the building of the podracer engines, then the construction of the cockpit. So once those two things are done I will post some pics, then probably will 'really' be in need of help. My rather random thoughts at this time are...

1) Podracer Engines underslung (if possible).
2) Widening the cockpit/fuesilage <sp?>.
3) When I do the armor plates, I would like too (with Quase's permission) loot Quase's idea of the 'sunken rivets'.
4) Use Guzrot Blacsquig's idea of a nose mounted Big Shoota ball turret.
5) 4x Shoota's mounted on the wings (internally mounted or underslung - whichever is possible).
6) Grot gunner emplacement behind the pilot/cockpit.
7) Cockpit - closed in or opened... not sure about this.
8) Tail design... NO IDEA.

That is just what I have come up with so far. Having looked at the Imperial Armor book, I have decided to go with the following armament...

Nose Ball Turret mounted TLBS.
Wing mounted (internal or underslung) TLBS.
Bombs or Rokkits. (These will be magnetized, so I can swap 'em out depending on what I choose to use).

This is gonna be different to doing the Squiggoth and BattleFortress, apart from the obvious reasons. This build will actually be centered around an actual model. I just hope that I have the ability required to do it decently.

Wish me luck. Please. :blush

Warboss GargDregga

Warboss GargDregga

Warboss GargDregga

Flash Git

• Freebooterz
  • 1,081 posts
"Boss! Boss!" Screamed Van Goff, GrubSpanna's head Painter Grot. "Da WarBoss iz comin'!"
"Good. I'ze need ta talk ta 'im about dis Fighta Bomma 'e wantz built." Replied Mek GrubSpanna. "Rivvet! Come on ya git."

"GrubSpanna ya zogger. 'Ow much werk ya got dun on da first of me flya's?" Questioned Warboss GargDregga.
"Dere's a problem wif ya design boss. Dat weedy kite ya delivered won't take da enginez we'ze prepared, look." Answered GrubSpanna nervously.
Posted Image

"We'ze been fixin' up de'ze Ooge zoggin' enjunz, coz ya wanted dem flya's ta 'ave ample wazza."
Posted Image

"But den ya loota boyz went an' delivered dis weedy air-sukka. De'ze enjunz would rip da wings clean of dis flyin' coffin." Explained GrubSpanna.
Posted Image

"Dis ain't my problem, ya naf git. If yer can't come up wif a good way ta power dis 'ere flya, and get it armed and reddy fer da next battle, I be sure dere are uvva Meks in da kamp dat would be 'appy ta try." Threatened the Warboss.

"Nah boss. I be gettin' dis reddy fer ya. Rivvet! Get dis rokkit enjun outta 'ere. We'ze be puttin' a real enjun in dis fing. You just watch boss. You'ze will be mighty impressed wif da outcome." Promised the Mek.
"I betta be, or else you'ze will find yaself strapped ta dem wings, and dropped on dem weedy beakies." Barked GargDregga.

After the Warboss left, GrubSpanna raced back to his Mekshop and started rumaging around the back room, looking for the list of spares he had layin' out in the Mek Yard.
"Now... Wot iz I gonna do to dis dam fly now?!" Thought GrubSpanna all worried.

Can anyone on the waaagh! help out GrubSpanna? I figured I am gonna have to go with a big honkin' V8 or some such contraption. Thing is, I don't want to just rip-off Krooza's engine design. So any help would be very appreciated. BTW... The fuelsilage <sp?> is already more than wide enough to fit an Ork in the cockpit (even with the Ork on a base!).

Thanks

GargDregga

4tonmantis

4tonmantis

Wartrukk Driver

• Deathskullz
  • 1,654 posts
  • Army Name:Dethskulls and Badmoons...verging more on Freebooters...
GD:
It's a bit short :P
I'm not sure I totally understand the question but you could nip the tail and add booms on either side for a butterfly style rear wing and sandwich the turbines like on the valkyrie
Posted Image

this would give you a bit more surface area for some gun mounts as well. the only thing is the bomma aspect... you would need to add a special part to the airframe to serve as a bomb-bay... maybe a cage full of squighounds being held underneath like how the thunderhawk transporter carries it's cargo? I'm thinking of a slightly higher bomb capacity though...if you have in mind to do the entire payload underwing then just ignore my last ramblings :D

The turbines themselves will provide the power that is needed, you'll just need to put a grill on the front to serve as an intake and you can run either lines or bladders to the turbines... either of those should be fairly simple but if you're going to do bladders I suggest something that creates a kinda like a horned toad's sides
picture of toad..
CODE
Originally Posted by Uthan the Perverse in 'Culture vs. Kultur: Thoughts on Orkish Society'
The Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst. Who are we to judge them? We panzee who have failed, or the Humans, on the road to ruin in their turn. And why? Because we sought answers to questions that an Ork wouldn't even bother to ask. We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude.

Check out my site and blog. Pardon the horrendous design.. it's a WiP

Gaf-Naz

Gaf-Naz

Mayor of Orktown

• Bad Moonz
  • 1,992 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh! Gaf-Naz, Da Inter-Hive Firm
Nice way of asking for help GD. :thumbs I think you could probably use those engines with that plane, but not with it's wings as is. I'm not very experienced with building planes, but maybe you could extend the length of the fusilage and add some more delta shape wings (longer too). That way the engines wouldn't look as big as the wing would be alot wider near the fusilage. If you just can't face it, then I suggest saving the engines for another project and going for the V8. I'm sure the other Meks will also come up with plenty of good advice. Good luck! :cheers
Ork Town III - Terrain building competition, sponsored by Ramshackle Games.

Do you need some 6th edition fortifications for your army, a new terrain piece or an 'armies on display' board?

Then build it, paint it, post it and move into "da orkiest town in da ooniverse", and have the chance of winning a prize!

Chodbin

Chodbin

Speckled Bloodshade Fungus

• Grotz
  • 16 posts
  • Army Name:none
Maybe make it a bi-plane with the monster engines clamped between the pairs of wings? Or just put them on top of the wings right next to each side of the fuselage? That might look pretty imposing and bulky/orky?

deamoncow

deamoncow

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,031 posts
  • Army Name:Da Gear Boyz
how bout you do dis? (see attachment) :!

Attached Files

WAAAGH DA GEAR BOYZ!
Warboss~Gregza Un Bonzif da Stompy
Big Mek~Big Mek Dogbreff

If there is an Ork Stompa released by GW anytime this year I will eat my own genitalz winkingOrk.gif
~Kr00za

I'm holding you to this Kr00za, you better do it. Pics or medical forms as proof

HAMPSTER SQUADRON my webcomic! http://hamsquadcomic.googlepages.com/

40kDad

40kDad

Burna Boy

• Boyz
  • 397 posts
I had a couple of ideas after seeing your picture of the plane next to the engine. Look at your plane as the spiece of panzee dungon and not the finished size. Use it as the basis for attaching things and plan on makeing the finished project larger. The pods are pretty big, so maybe extend the fuselage top to bottom like Quase ( I think it was his) did to widen his so his ork pilot would fit. Cut the fuselage and insert some PC to extend it to finish above the pods. Use your plane's engine area as the place for a grot, the one with the spy glass, to be looking out as the bombardier. Either cover the hole with clear plastic dome (cut from some heatshrink packaging that seems to come on everything we buy now a days) or put a little fence across the opening so the grot has something to hang on to. Make a "T" shaped tail to keep it up away from the exhaust. With the size of your pods, the plane would not need large wing areas, just enough to hold all the bombs and BSs. You might cut down the length of the wings and extend their width. Just a couple of thoughts. Good luck as your squiggy came out awesome, don't feel any pressure on this one. :cheers

Kr00zA

Kr00zA

Grumpy ole Git

• Goffz
  • 9,989 posts
I reakon the enginez at the back like an A10 bomba :thumbs Off topic... but please can we ban BMP files for this forum if possible ;)
Nuf Said.

Warboss GargDregga

Warboss GargDregga

Flash Git

• Freebooterz
  • 1,081 posts
Heya All; I have taken a few pics of the engines and the plane seperately, and tried 'playing' with paintshop to get some ideas (without having to chop anything up). Please let me know what you think would be the best idea from what I have.... WAY to big. This doesn't even look Orky, just plane (pardon the pun) stupid. [attachmentid=14901] [attachmentid=14902] Mrs. GD's idea. Having the wings passing through the engines. It looks quite good, and lowers the overall appearance of the planes 'lines'. I still think the engines are too long though. [attachmentid=14903] [attachmentid=14904] Forgeworld-esque engine placement? I kinda like this idea, and I am pretty sure the physical work to make it look right would be pretty much minimalistic. [attachmentid=14905] Mrs. GD's idea with shortened engines. This is another idea that I quite like. [attachmentid=14906] @ Krooza - I tried the two engines placed on either side of the rear of the fuelsilage but it just looked wrong. Even with picturing the engines 'cut down' the size and shape of the plane just didn't suit the engine placement. Sorry. The reason I really want to try and incorporate these engines into the build is because my youngest grot got me the podracer model as a birthday pressy, knowing that I was thinking of making the fightabomba. So use of the engine(s) is kinda important to me. If they just wont go however, I am sure he will understand. Any help would be appreciated, thanks. GargDregga

40kDad

40kDad

Burna Boy

• Boyz
  • 397 posts
After seeing these pictures, get a bigger plane. :cheers The pods are the same diameter as the plane front end. Either a bigger plane model to start and go for a bomber not fighter-bomber, or use the forge world approach and make two. The problem with the pods being the same diameter is that the pilot will look kind of strange if he has to stand up to see over the sides of the pods, of course that could be kind of orkie. You could also save the second pod for the engine on a battle wagon or stompa.