Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Painting Yellow 101

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Dribble Joy

Dribble Joy

Skitzo

• Bad Moonz
  • 2,378 posts
  • Army Name:Nuggruz's Iron Klads.
Right, some people think my yellow is great, I don't but nevermind.
So here's a few simple steps that any git can do.

The following applies to all models, but I'm usign a vehicle as an example as it's trickier to get it right with all those big flat areas.

First, get your model:
This is my little gun trukk I made.

Posted Image

Then apply a layer of white.

It does not have to be neat!

You can be neat if you want, but it's not important really. Getting the white into all the cracks and holes is.

Posted Image

Notice that it looks appaling, it's streaky and just horrible. White paint (all paints really) doesn't adhere to spray undercoat well.

So we apply a second coat.

Posted Image

The second layer sticks to the first much better and this allows you to go over the less covered areas.
I'm not a great painter, so my pictures aren't a basis on what you should expect.

Now we apply the yellow (again, no need to clean up yet or be neat).

Posted Image

I used sunburst yellow. Bad Moons yellow is too light for a base colour for my liking.
Getting a smooth coat is important, so you don't have to be so anal about getting the yellow into all the tiny cracks as we were with the white. The washing step will sort it out.

Now we claen up. Here you do need to be neat (in my opinion a neat model is much better than a highly detailed messy one).

Posted Image

Note that I forgot to do the tracks. This is intentional, as I should have covered them or removed them before hand. I later put masking tape over the body and went nuts with a big brush, doing them at the same time as the rest of the clean up would have been a nightmare, they are way to fiddily.

Now the wash. I use a mix of 4 parts yellow wash and one part brown wash.
Don't use black wash. Just don't, it's terrible.
In this case I just slapped it on all over. If you want a cleaner look, just put it in the cracks as I did on my battlewagon.

Posted Image

And that's it really. Highlight if you want.

I did this guntrukk along with some others in a big vehicle session, so here's some other examples:

Posted Image

frankye

frankye

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 371 posts
  • Army Name:(sing along on beatles sgt. pepper notes) we're gorka-morka motorbreath pub band
yay! Very good tutorial, I'll try out your ink suggestion pretty soon. (I've always used watered down orange + snakebite, and it's not that great, it looks like rust)
Krumpin' brass monkeyuzz fer da greener good

QUOTE(itainteasybeingreen @ Sep 7 2006, 08:23 PM) View Post

a great many questions that IMHO should be engraved on the blade of a choppa and applied directly to the bonces of anybody ballsy enough to ask the question.

Zorbag Skullsplitta

Zorbag Skullsplitta

Steel Teef

• Speed Freaks
  • 674 posts
  • Army Name:Skullsplittas Speed Freeks!!!
Looks good. But I get similar results with far less steps. Bubonic brown over black then sunbusrst yellow. Done. :cheers
The Waaagh.. My sole diversion in what has otherwise been a pale and unamusing season.

There are some people who will tell you that haphazardly adding zombies to any game does not neccesarily improve it. Those people are idiots. GI

Gutzmek

Gutzmek

Syringe Squig

• Grotz
  • 77 posts
  • Army Name:da Schrottsammlaz

Looks good. But I get similar results with far less steps. Bubonic brown over black then sunbusrst yellow.

I do it in a similar way. First I undercoat it black. Than I paint the whole place in dark flesh after this I use bubonic brown with letting a dark brown line and than I burst it with bad moon yellow. Done. If you do it like me, the model wouldn`t shine like it would do if it`s painted with inks...
click `ere to see a part of my ork-Army: "Gutzmeks Scrap Collectors"

last update:painted Warboss on bike (7.10.06)

frankye

frankye

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 371 posts
  • Army Name:(sing along on beatles sgt. pepper notes) we're gorka-morka motorbreath pub band

the model wouldn`t shine like it would do if it`s painted with inks...

Well, if you apply a matt overcoat it's not going to shine anyway...
Krumpin' brass monkeyuzz fer da greener good

QUOTE(itainteasybeingreen @ Sep 7 2006, 08:23 PM) View Post

a great many questions that IMHO should be engraved on the blade of a choppa and applied directly to the bonces of anybody ballsy enough to ask the question.

Gashbad

Gashbad

Stompa Warz Champeen

• Freebooterz
  • 2,510 posts
  • Army Name:Gashbad's Loudboyz

Looks good. But I get similar results with far less steps. Bubonic brown over black then sunbusrst yellow. Done. :cheers

I actually do yellow in a very similar way to this. Usually theres a coat of watered-down chestnut ink in between the bubonic and the sunburst. I also like to leave a fair bit of the bubonic brown showing, but thats just because I like the "dirty yellow" effect I get when I do that
This user has been given a total of four (4) 'free" rants as sporeday gifts from the members of this site.
Some conditions apply, check coupon for details

warbosssean

warbosssean

da thread digga

• Freebooterz
  • 2,851 posts
  • Army Name:Still thinking
hmm, that looks really nice! thanks for the turtorial

oberst_kramer

oberst_kramer

Kommando

• Bad Moonz
  • 967 posts
  • Army Name:Tuznik Boneshaka' 'Eavystomping Horde
Comes really in handy now I'm about to paint a very big, fat red & yellow Battlewagon. Cheers for the tutorial Dribble Joy, and all others too, nice advice. :thumbs
More Krumpin' and less talkin'

Jean-Luc Picard ends with 'Ard!

"There's a difference between bein' Smart boy an' bein' a Smart Git Gimzod"- Kommanda Uzgob, from Deff Skwadron

Waaagh Tuznik's Noo Codex kill tally sofar: W:18 D:3 L:3

Gaf-Naz

Gaf-Naz

Mayor of Orktown

• Bad Moonz
  • 1,992 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh! Gaf-Naz, Da Inter-Hive Firm
Thanks for the 101 Dribble. Always good to see people painting things a proppa colour. :thumbs

I paint my dirty yellows the bubonic brown/yellow (over black undercoat) way, with an orange wash afterwards to add shading.

Gashbad - thanks for the chesnut ink tip, hadn't thought of that and I use chestnut ink on almost everything I paint! :/ Will give it a go.

For a nice shiny yellow I also use the glaze method from the "How to Paint" book: Orange/Drybrush white/smother in yellow ink. Looks good on beakie and panzee trophy pieces. :yes

Waaagh! Da propperest kolor! ;)
Ork Town III - Terrain building competition, sponsored by Ramshackle Games.

Do you need some 6th edition fortifications for your army, a new terrain piece or an 'armies on display' board?

Then build it, paint it, post it and move into "da orkiest town in da ooniverse", and have the chance of winning a prize!