Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Scratchbuilding Engines 101

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

Da Goff Rokker

Da Goff Rokker

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 261 posts
  • Army Name:Da League of Ekstraurdinary Orks
Well, during the making of my Micro Fighta Bomma (link to the original post here) I needed a big hulking engine for it, and found nothing that could be used in my (very thin) bitz box, so I decided to make my own Soopa-Charger-V6 engine.

I think that it is very easy to assemble, and if not something spetacular, it could be easily used in a buggy or bike with very few modifications. Now for the steps:

1) For this you will need plasticard of 2 different thickness (in this example I´ve used 1.5mm and 0.5mm), pieces of sprue (both the chunkier and the more thin ones), rivvitz and any other gubbinz that you think will look nice... :biggrin

2) You start by cutting small retangles from the thicker plasticard. The exact size will depend on the final size of the engine you want, so a little bit planning is needed at this stage. Around 8 pieces will work fine.

3) Now cut another 8 rectangles from the thinner plasticard, but adding 2mm both on its lenght and width. You should have something like this:

Posted Image

4) Cut other 2 rectangles out of this thinner plasticard, but with the same size as the smaller ones, to act as a finishing of the engine top. Take extra care to make the cuts as precise as you could!

5) Now glue each smaller thick plasticard piece to the center of each biggest thin plasticard one, like this (I´ve used different pieces for this pic). Use plenty of glue on this operation:

Posted Image

6) You now has 4 sets of pieces. After waiting the glue to dry (this is important!), glue each of those pieces on top of each other, making 2 "stacks" of 3 to 4 piled pieces. Take care to align then properly, and wait for the glue to fully dry. Glue those 2 smaller thin pieces of Step 4 on top of each stack. You should have something like this:

Posted Image

7) Now to make the engine block. Take some leftover sprue, both the thicker and the thinner ones. Cut 2 pieces from each one, slightly smaller than the width of the smaller rectangles, and glue them in the way the pic shows:

Posted Image

8) Cut 2 other slices of the smaller sprue and glue then to the top of the stacks. Now you should have something like this:

Posted Image

9) Glue the stacks on the sides of the engine block (the part that used the smaller sprue), add some rivvitz and gubbinz and you are done!

Posted Image

The final design could be changed to your needs, you coud make V6 engines, W8 engines, single block ones, etc...

Hope this could be of some help to someone! And if you guys need any clarifications or doesn´t understand any of the steps, just tell me and I will try to make it clear!

Cheers! :cheers

Da Goff Rokker

Greenstuff

Greenstuff

'Ard Boy

• Banned
  • 904 posts
  • Army Name:BUNDESWEHR YEH MAN
Damn! Off to make some engines i go! Thanks for that awesome tutorial, it will come in very useful.

Greenstuff
MY TROLLING AND ABUSIVE POSTS GOT ME BANNED OK YEH

Greven

Greven

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 438 posts
  • Army Name:Generul Gobgar's DeffSkwadron
simple and effective... thats whats orkses are all about,good one
Dere is a new ork god, 'is name is Fork. and 'e brings revelusjonery teknologee
Fork

for any mek there is no clear line between werk and wrek

Bozo

Bozo

Explosive Kranium

• Boyz
  • 606 posts
i agree. make sure you post this tutorial in the 101 thread aswell.
I am the Whistler, and I know many things for I walk by night. I know many strange tales, many secrets of men and women who have stepped into the shadows, yes I know the nameless terrors of which they dare not speak. -PM me if you know what this is from

The Best Khorne Forum Ever

Talk in Plain English

Gashbad

Gashbad

Stompa Warz Champeen

• Freebooterz
  • 2,510 posts
  • Army Name:Gashbad's Loudboyz
InterestingCoca-Cola or Pepsi Cola Err i mean tutorial. I may have to try this out. Maybe If I can finally get motivated to work on Projekt Doomsday again
This user has been given a total of four (4) 'free" rants as sporeday gifts from the members of this site.
Some conditions apply, check coupon for details

Ein

Ein

Yellow Paint Job

• Boyz
  • 1,492 posts
  • Army Name:I still don't actually have a name for 'em.
Mm, that's the method I use to make the engine bits on my stompa's ankles and such. The hardest part is getting the smaller section in the middle lined up equidistant from the edges - tweezers work best for me, I find, as it keeps my hand out of the way and lets me see everything.
Like my work? Check my blog!
http://www.the-warforge.com
Resin-cast bits and bobs for your armies!
WARFORGED MINIATURES

Adventures of a Prehistoric Puppet!
MURRAY THE DINOSAUR

Grazbuk

Grazbuk

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 219 posts
  • Army Name:Grazbuk's Yoofz
nice work, mate! make sure you post a link to this in the 101s. oh, for the time to make trukks using engines like these..
Waaaagh!!

Waaagh Grazbuk: "Buttkicking for Orkiness"

4tonmantis

4tonmantis

Wartrukk Driver

• Deathskullz
  • 1,654 posts
  • Army Name:Dethskulls and Badmoons...verging more on Freebooters...
i'm going to add something to this if i may. to help jamsession and anyone else with lining things like this up. when going for your final line up put a tiny dot of elmer's (pva) in the middle and move it how you want. if it doesn't line up pull it up and rub off the film and start again. when you have it lined up proppa use some acetate (i use a product called Plastruct Plasticweld). It will run into the area between the plates and fuse them but whatever is left on the outside will evaporate. This makes the plastic a wee bit mushy after a few seconds so be careful not to leave fingerprints or deep gouges. Coincidentally if you want to replicate deep gouges or acid attacks/nurgle rot this works wonders... go figure... I guess I should briefly describe the acetate and it's use to help those who've not heard of it. It's thin (to the point of water and just as clear). It has fumes, they won't burn your eyes like superglue but they will make you woozy if you don't have a fan going or propper ventalation. It won't stick to your skin though it will burn if there are large amounts and it's left on for like an hour <_< anyway... the I use comes with a brush on applicator built into the lid. If you get one that doesn't then you will need to buy a cheep nylon brush (like the ones that come in enamel paint "starter" sets...) You may have to do a few quick passes but always opt for this instead of 1 big puddle. In large quantities it will make a model look like Nurgle's butthole... Also don't dump the bottle on your kitchen table...it will eat away the finish >( If you use a dot of superglue to put something together you can run a thin bead of acetate along the join and then work the pieces (VERY gently) and the gap will mostly vanish. this is a quick fix which sadly has gotten me out of the habbit of putting putty in gaps. take your time and be precise if you're going to use this stuff...that's it i reckon...
CODE
Originally Posted by Uthan the Perverse in 'Culture vs. Kultur: Thoughts on Orkish Society'
The Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst. Who are we to judge them? We panzee who have failed, or the Humans, on the road to ruin in their turn. And why? Because we sought answers to questions that an Ork wouldn't even bother to ask. We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude.

Check out my site and blog. Pardon the horrendous design.. it's a WiP

Boss Stompy

Boss Stompy

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 257 posts
  • Army Name:Da Bloo Ransackas
Nice tutorial. I can see myself referring back to this in the future. Thanks for writing it up.
Visit my blog - The Forge of Mars

OG Gleep

OG Gleep

Periscope

• Speed Freaks
  • 792 posts
  • Army Name:Da Rolling 60's
High five! I will definatley use this, as any hobby noob (read:me) can manage this one! Ty sir.

Totgeboren

Totgeboren

Steel Hornz

• Boyz
  • 661 posts
  • Army Name:Gutrippaz smashaz
Thanks alot mate! This will come in handy, since I have been struggeling with making some nice engines for my non-walker vehicles. :cheers
"It is the misfortune of beings to be for us nothing else but useful showcases for the contents of our own minds."
/Harry G. Frankfurt

My orks.

My Stompa uv Deff!

My Traitor Guards and Word Bearers!

Doi

Doi

Squigpipes

• Grotz
  • 67 posts
Thanks a lot :yes Now I can make an engine big enough to fit the buggy I'm working on
WAAAGH DA ANZORKS!!!

What happens in the event that Figure A is in love with Figure B, but Figure A is already married to Figure C and Figure B is engaged to Figure D, but Figure A can't keep his hands off Figure B because she's got such a nice figure?

Dreachon

Dreachon

Lobotomy

• Deathskullz
  • 751 posts
  • Army Name:Death Skulls
Oh yeah, more kustom jubs to the engines.

Pinky

Pinky

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 5 posts
  • Army Name:Waa Grub Pest'a'side
Thank you sooooo much for this, will raise a glass to you tonight at my birthday bash! :cheers Well done.

Ace

Ace

Tankbusta Boy

• Grot Rebelz
  • 410 posts
  • Army Name:Snagdregs ladz
Can we pin this or add it to the 101 topic?

Da Goff Rokker

Da Goff Rokker

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 261 posts
  • Army Name:Da League of Ekstraurdinary Orks
Hehehehe, glad to see that you all enjoyed it! This is a very simple idea, but the fact that it can be done to fit into almost any size of vehicle or gap is the most important thing to me... @ Jamsessionein: You are right! :blush Replying at you Stompa thread a few minutes ago I noticed the "plasticard stacks" on the legs! Well, probably that image was in my "sub-conscious" mind when I had this - not so new now - idea... Kudos to you! Great minds think alike! :cheers @ 4tonmantis: That glue you are describing is the same that I use, but with an "applicator bottle" with a needle thin tip tube. Thanks for your help on the aligning issue, it really is a pain to align the plates properly... Drawing some guiding lines with a pen before cutting helps too. @ Pinky: Thanks dude! Happy birthday to you! @ Ace: Added a link to this in the 101 compilation... Cheers! :cheers Da Goff Rokker

oberst_kramer

oberst_kramer

Kommando

• Bad Moonz
  • 967 posts
  • Army Name:Tuznik Boneshaka' 'Eavystomping Horde
Book marked for sure ya skilled git! Let's see If I can give the battlewagon a very big V8 engine! :thumbs
More Krumpin' and less talkin'

Jean-Luc Picard ends with 'Ard!

"There's a difference between bein' Smart boy an' bein' a Smart Git Gimzod"- Kommanda Uzgob, from Deff Skwadron

Waaagh Tuznik's Noo Codex kill tally sofar: W:18 D:3 L:3

BigMek

BigMek

'Ead Graft

• Deathskullz
  • 712 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh! Tankchewa
Looks good, thanks for sharing...sure is gonna use this tutorial, jobs a gud un :thumbs
I like to loot it loot it

The rulebook also doesn't say anything about beating people like this with their own army case. So, technically...

Nozeminer - In the "best cheat ever" thread.

Greenskin87

Greenskin87

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 15 posts
  • Army Name:Gold'n 'Orns
Ive found this great way how to make something similar, thanks to Mecano, that i had as a kid, just stuck the togethaa and if dis isnt ork, i dont know what is, you might want to try it, mine was about to be thrown away, now its gonna be part of my bosses new Battlewagon! (pics coming) Thanks for the great idea with the plastic card! :cheers

WAAGHnumbnuts

WAAGHnumbnuts

Steel Hornz

• Blood Axez
  • 633 posts
read da rules ya git! Da WAAAGH doesn't appreciate threadomancy. If you have a 101 to contribute look up. There's a sticked 101 thread. now where's me choppa!
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is The Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee!"
BLAM BLAM